Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SS Fatbikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

SS Fatbikes

I'll preface this with the fact that I'm generally opposed to having dangly things on my bikes when I can possibly avoid it and ride SS >90% of the time...

With that in mind, why is the Pugsley the only fatbike that can easily be set up as a proper single speed? Is there another obscure option (production frames, not custom)?

Sure, fatbikes are designed for snow first, everything else second, where low-speed finagling and gears are somewhat essential for epic adventures and such. All I personally want is a brutally simple fatbike that has some chain-tensioning method so I can put one gear on it and bomb around my local singletrack in central NC, and while the Pug is great, it would just be nice to have some choices (maybe some with more dirt-singletrack-oriented geometry too).
    "I applaud your stupid idea because it is genius." - Eric Sovern, Surly

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    No offense intended, and this doesn't address the "why" question, but what you're after sounds like a custom frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    None taken, and that is the correct answer, I'm really just disappointed there's only ONE production model out there that meets those admittedly not-so-common criteria. Are there any serious SS fatbikers out there that don't do it on a Pugsley frame? Maybe there's just zero demand for anything other than that and I'm the crazy one.

In a related story that no one will care about, I think I'm going to attempt to build my own frame and see what happens.

mtbr member
    That problem will be solved for me when Middleburn bring out their 100mm Cranks. Then I can use Forward Components Eccentric External BB to get the correct tension on a SS or hub gear.

(I'm currently using a magic ratio on my 9:Zero:7)
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Also, someone else on here used a Race Face crank along with a Phil Wood Philcentric 100 EBB. Just search Philcentric on this subforum specifically and you'll find it.

How much does it weigh?

Blackspire Stinger.

Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Now there's something I hadn't considered but seems like a really simple and effective solution. How's that tensioner working for you? Or is that even yours?

How much does it weigh?
    Not mine, but they work as expected.

Holds your chain firmly.

It may be a tad "tricky" to adjust at first.. because it tightens on under the BB cup.

Not really a big deal though.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Borgschulze, since it doesn't appear to be spring actuated, how do you do routine wheel removal / insertion? If it's under the BB cup it doesn't sound adjustable on the fly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aTomOfAllTrades View Post
    I'll preface this with the fact that I'm generally opposed to having dangly things on my bikes when I can possibly avoid it and ride SS >90% of the time...

With that in mind, why is the Pugsley the only fatbike that can easily be set up as a proper single speed? Is there another obscure option (production frames, not custom)?

Sure, fatbikes are designed for snow first, everything else second, where low-speed finagling and gears are somewhat essential for epic adventures and such. All I personally want is a brutally simple fatbike that has some chain-tensioning method so I can put one gear on it and bomb around my local singletrack in central NC, and while the Pug is great, it would just be nice to have some choices (maybe some with more dirt-singletrack-oriented geometry too).
    I'm very interested in the exact same thing. I don't think there is much demand for this type of bike...yet.

How much does it weigh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Borgschulze, since it doesn't appear to be spring actuated, how do you do routine wheel removal / insertion? If it's under the BB cup it doesn't sound adjustable on the fly.

Most every bike has vertical dropouts except the Pugsley.

The whole reason you were asking was because the Pugsley was the only one that didn't need a tensioner, correct?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I'm going to take that to mean that once you have it set right, it's tight enough for riding, yet loose enough to put the wheel back in the dropouts with just hand strength. I was asking specifically about how it works regarding vertical dropouts and the Stinger, as other BB mounted tensioners I've seen were spring actuated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't know that I'd want spring tension, but it would definitely be preferable to have a cam-operated system or something so that if you need to adjust it on the trail, you can without carrying a BB tool with you. Still, if it works well enough and isn't a total pain then that would be a pretty straightforward way to set up a SS on a much lighter frame than the Pug.

Witty McWitterson
    I'm going to be having a small run of Singular geometry fat bikes made. At least that's what the plan is now. What I want is something that has the geometry of the Swift, but fatted up. Instead of an eccentric, i'll be using traditional track ends, much like the Surly. It'll be 170 spaced, symmetrical as well. None of this off set business.
    Last edited by ~martini~; 07-14-2011 at 07:10 AM.
    Just a regular guy.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~ View Post
    I'm going to be having a small run of Singular fat bikes made. At least that's what the plan is now. What I want is something that has the geometry of the Swift, but fatted up. Instead of an eccentric, i'll be using traditional track ends, much like the Surly. It'll be 170 spaced, symmetrical as well. None of this off set business.
    Why not go with the EBB ?
    And i realy like the looks of the swift, but a 170mm version would ot do it for me because lack of IGH (Rohloff) compatability.

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    Why not go with the EBB ?
    And i realy like the looks of the swift, but a 170mm version would ot do it for me because lack of IGH (Rohloff) compatability.
    Why? cost. Its as simple as that. And then the simplicity thing too. I do realize I'd be knocking myself out of the IGH market with the 170 spacing, but that's such a small segment that I can't really market to it. Especailly the Rohloff. Great hub, but man! Expensive!
    Just a regular guy.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I was asking specifically about how it works regarding vertical dropouts and the Stinger, as other BB mounted tensioners I've seen were spring actuated.
    I have an ISCG tab mounted Stinger on a "normal" singlespeed bike with vertical dropouts. The Stinger does not interfere with wheel removal in any way.

If the tyre is very wide, relative to BB width, I could imagine tight clearance between Stinger and tyre.

I don't see why you couldn't use a dropout mounted tensioner on a Fat Bike too. I have the Rennen tensioner on another "normal" singlespeed and the only drawback is I need to remove it, too, when removing the wheel.

With a decent chain, I get quite a bit of riding before I need to adjust a tensioner.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Why? cost. Its as simple as that. And then the simplicity thing too. I do realize I'd be knocking myself out of the IGH market with the 170 spacing, but that's such a small segment that I can't really market to it. Especailly the Rohloff. Great hub, but man! Expensive!
    Okay, simple answer... (as i already expected)
    If it wasn't for a good deal i was offered, i would have gone for the less expensive Alfine-11.

But still, a Swift based SS-fatbike with the possibillity of 29ers and maybe a 3spd SA IGH....
    Any chance of a black one ?

Really I am that slow
    I'm going to be having a small run of Singular fat bikes made. At least that's what the plan is now. What I want is something that has the geometry of the Swift, but fatted up. Instead of an eccentric, i'll be using traditional track ends, much like the Surly. It'll be 170 spaced, symmetrical as well. None of this off set business.
    ME WANTIE! hummm 170mm fixed hub..... non dishless wheel with tomi cog....
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    I'm going to be having a small run of Singular fat bikes made. At least that's what the plan is now. What I want is something that has the geometry of the Swift, but fatted up. Instead of an eccentric, i'll be using traditional track ends...
    One of the things I really like about my Swift is the EBB...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    May 2006
    hummm 170mm fixed hub..... non dishless wheel with tomi cog....
    Drool!

mtbr member
    How about the white industries eccentric rear hub? No tensioners, guides, springs, or ebb's, will work on any conventional dropout frame without any mods. I'm not a fan of frozen derailleurs, simpler is better, singlespeed is the way to go for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've never used them, but it seems everyone that has loves them. However if I wanted to run an IGH as an option too that goes out the window. While I generally like that as a solution to a problem, I don't like is as the basis of a whole bike build, it would just be nice to have a frame that has multiple options.

Ultimately I think it'd be nice to see some options that have a press-fit BB...now when they first came out I really didn't like the idea because the standard threaded external cup systems work just fine, BUT it gives you the option to run a small eccentric instead of the BB30 or whatever the hell standard press-in bearings if you want SS, or just put in some aluminum cups like the Niner system to adapt it to threaded or whatever you want.

Actually, forget the press-fit thing, it might as well just be the Niner BB...can special cups for every possible crank you'd ever want to run while giving you a SS tensioning option. Sure, that won't happen, but I can dream...

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    How about the white industries eccentric rear hub? No tensioners, guides, springs, or ebb's, will work on any conventional dropout frame without any mods. I'm not a fan of frozen derailleurs, simpler is better, singlespeed is the way to go for me.
    I have one on my bamboo fatty. Problem for my frame in particular is that the binding area at the inside face of the dropouts are only as large as the axle washers need to be. My Eno has slipped a number of times during hard climbing. So, if you're going to do this, inspect your frame to ensure that the inside of the dropouts provide a large flat surface to grab onto. (Credit to Velobike for this idea.)

Brake setup is finicky, but once there you don't have to mess with it.

Chainline is 47.5mm, so some offset is required for big tires.

Using it is pretty cool though. I don't bother using a wrench, it makes the chain too tight for my tastes. Put it in, push hard on the tire, and tighten.

I'm thinking about exchanging the 6mm allen bolts for some 15mm hex bolts.

don't fear the barleywine
    Certainly not as nice as my other SS setups with track forks, but this solution works great so far. Its about 70 grams, its still completely quiet, and since I swapped out the OE plastic pulley for a sealed ceramic-bearing idler out of an old XT Shimano derailleur, its now smoother than owl crap. Also, I deleted the spring so the static chain tension is exactly where I like it. Adjustment and wheel removal is just as fast as track forks. Only drawbacks are the weight (negligible) and the slight additional resistance from the idler (also negligible).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast