Wandering not Lost

Sram X9 Fat crank ?'s

Gather around guys and gals and help educate the perplexed simpleton on a subject that should not be so tuff.

Ok I have a Carbon Beargrease X9 on the way to replace my Muk2, and I was wondering about the possibility of replacing the X9 spider with a homebrewed components 29t alu ring to turn the bike into a geared appropriate 1x10 bike. So my question is does anyone here know if the spline pattern on this crank is the same one as the prior X9 cranks, and if so is it removable?

I ask because he currently makes a spiderless ring for the X9 crank from 28t(to I think)36T... and a 29t would work fine in my parts when paired to the spec'd 11-36 cassette. I guess what I am trying to establish is a simple solution to going to one ring in the front w/o messing with all the fuss of the xo1/xx1 hub/cassette/crank issues.

50$ on a ring sounds pretty good in comparisons to the cost of those pretty parts...

So boys and girls we come to the conclusion of educating the idiot and so do you all have an answer he will understand?

thanks,

perplexed

nothing to see here
    Don't get Homebrewed. Website still up, but not taking orders. Major problems with supply. There's a few other options in this thread.

edit: I can't imagine Sram would have changed the spline. Someone else may confirm.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Wolf Tooth and Absolute Black make spiderless rings for the Sram crank. I believe both are "dished" to move the chainline inward a bit, which is good.

Wandering not Lost
    Thanks guys I have ordered from HBC a long time ago and experienced the issues of communication and long waits for the product. I went with an MRP bling ring in a 30t.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    The Wolftooth is sheer excellence I have the bolt on bash ring as well. It makes for one trick setup.

Wandering not Lost
    Curious can you run that ring w/o a chain guide in the front and keep the chain on?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    So far, yes. It's designed just like an XX1 ring with fat/skinny/taller teeth. I use the bashring, because I need it, so that might help? I ride REALLY chattery trails with jumps, roots, rocks, crashes... I ride my Prime as it was intended and have not lost a chain yet. I also use a short cage derailleur and run a proper length chain. Not having excess chain slack is a major factor in keeping the chain on.

I recommend it

Wandering not Lost
    Do you think the mrp bling ring would function the same?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Sram X9 Fat crank ?'s

No. The BlingRing does not have the XX1 style teeth like the Wolftooth.