Thread: SRAM GX Eagle

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

SRAM GX Eagle

Has anyone put this on their fat bike yet?
    SRAM GX EAGLE - FAT BIKE CRANKSET

All my bike is running Shimano XT M8000 but they don't do a 100mm crank in the same XT stuff.
    Im not into Raceface so i was looking for an alternative crank instead and thought this would be cool?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Not yet, but I will this weekend. I have the same exact drivetrain (Shimano XT) that I'll be swapping over to a new frame. Not expecting any issues, but I'll post my observations regardless.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It came on my bike and so far so good. The graphics are printed (I think, I don't think they're etched) and not a decal, so they should hold up pretty well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have it on my new 29+. So far. So good. I have a 30t up front and get hammered on some of the long steep stuff. I will be throwing a 26t on before spring. I would definitely go that low on a fat bike. Have fun out there

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Out of curiousity - why didn't you want the RF stuff?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. ED View Post
    I have it on my new 29+. So far. So good. I have a 30t up front and get hammered on some of the long steep stuff. I will be throwing a 26t on before spring. I would definitely go that low on a fat bike. Have fun out there
    One thing to note; I believe they are using a -4mm offset ring for Fat5 (197mm rear) cranksets, which is a bit of an oddball. A quick search didn't pull up a 26 tooth cog, but it may be too new...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I special ordered this crank in a 165mm from Germany, currently running two sets on fat bikes with 26t Elliptical chainrings.

These are great cranks. Only direct mount fat bike crank available in a 165mm.

Fat4 is 100mm/177
    Fat5 is 120mm/197
    Spindles are not interchangeable.
    Both are available in 165, 170, 175
    Eagle GX is aluminum only.
    Eagle CF Cranks only come in 170/175.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I special ordered this crank in a 165mm from Germany, currently running two sets on fat bikes with 26t Elliptical chainrings.

These are great cranks. Only direct mount fat bike crank available in a 165mm.

Fat4 is 100mm/177
    Fat5 is 120mm/197
    Spindles are not interchangeable.
    Both are available in 165, 170, 175
    Eagle GX is aluminum only.
    Eagle CF Cranks only come in 170/175.
    I believe both Fat4 and Fat5 fit 100mm threaded (and 121PF) bottom bracket. They use +6mm offset ring for Fat4 (177mm) and -4mm ring for Fat5 (197mm). Other than that, the cranks are the same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The difference in ring offset would make up for the 10mm difference per side, so maybe that is the case, I only run the Fat 4.

Maybe someone with a Fat 5 crank can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by compengr View Post
    I believe both Fat4 and Fat5 fit 100mm threaded (and 121PF) bottom bracket. They use +6mm offset ring for Fat4 (177mm) and -4mm ring for Fat5 (197mm). Other than that, the cranks are the same.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. ED View Post
    26f 50r gearing? Seriously? Can't say that I've tried it, but that seems really low. With eagle I cant imagine going lower than a 30t ring. Im not sure I could get going fast enough to not fall over.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My XX1 is Fat 5 for a 197 rear. 30t is all that's available in the -4 right now, but others are expected eventually.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkraemer View Post
    Lots of issues with the next SL cranks, mine were warrantied twice already...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkraemer View Post
    Just wanted to see if there was anything else out there other than RF really

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I run a 26t x 46. I use it every time I ride, need it for the climbing, the Eastern Sierras are steep. Iíd take a 50t, but not for the asking price. I run Suntace 11-46 cassettes, $50 each on three wheelsets, two drivetrains with 11sp GX.

The RF Next SL and Turbines are fine cranks, though the chainrings can loosen and the Next SL has creaking issues. I like the ability to swap spindles, but thatís also a source of creaking. SRAM has it down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Not yet, but I will this weekend. I have the same exact drivetrain (Shimano XT) that I'll be swapping over to a new frame. Not expecting any issues, but I'll post my observations regardless.

Did you managed this?
    I canít fit mine as I canít get a correct BB for my frame. Iím Really gutted.
    I got a 2015 Specialized fat boy and thereís no BB to fit anything other than the stock cranks.
    Iíve had to opt for a Hope chainring instead with my original crank.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rebnah View Post
    Did you managed this?
    I canít fit mine as I canít get a correct BB for my frame. Iím Really gutted.
    I got a 2015 Specialized fat boy and thereís no BB to fit anything other than the stock cranks.
    Iíve had to opt for a Hope chainring instead with my original crank.
    I did. Got the GX Fat5 cranksets with the GXP 100mm BB. It was a perfect fit on a Mukluk. Chainline looks to be spot on too.

What BB is in your Specialized?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Im not sure to be honest as itís at Evans cycles at the moment. In the doecs itís listed as PF30
    Itís driving me crazy as I want to change the stock cranks.
    Itís a 2015 fat boy the orange one

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Im not sure to be honest as itís at Evans cycles at the moment. In the doecs itís listed as PF30
    Itís driving me crazy as I want to change the stock cranks.
    Itís a 2015 fat boy the orange one
    Hmm...I know SRAM makes 30mm cranks, but I don't know if they are available in fat bike variants.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    This is the issue I think? Not sure what else I can put in it to be honest?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    This is the issue I think? Not sure what else I can put in it to be honest?
    I can't think of anything other than RF. I actually like the Cinch system, but what I don't like is trying to squeeze a 30mm spindle into a BB shell that was designed for 24mm. What you get is an expensive BB that doesn't seem to last. You don't have that problem

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I can't think of anything other than RF. I actually like the Cinch system, but what I don't like is trying to squeeze a 30mm spindle into a BB shell that was designed for 24mm. What you get is an expensive BB that doesn't seem to last. Youn't have that problem

Cheers for your help. I will have to make do with my old crank and a new Hope chainring for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    26f 50r gearing? Seriously? Can't say that I've tried it, but that seems really low. With eagle I cant imagine going lower than a 30t ring. Im not sure I could get going fast enough to not fall over.
    Agreed. I'm running a 1X11 with a 34 up front and there are few climbs here that I can't roll no problem. I'm in the Palmer, AK area, so some decent climbs around here.

Saw a 30/50 set up on a bike in the shop yesterday and thought wha...?

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Agreed. I'm running a 1X11 with a 34 up front and there are few climbs here that I can't roll no problem. I'm in the Palmer, AK area, so some decent climbs around here.

Saw a 30/50 set up on a bike in the shop yesterday and thought wha...?
    Iím in Missoula, where thereís no shortage of hills, albeit not too many techy climbs, and Iím over 40 and drink and eat a lot, but I just canít imagine needing 26-50 for trail riding. I still have 2x10 on my fattie/29+ With 22-36 and that is a ratio of .61. 26-50 is ratio of .52, almost 10% lower. If I could keep it upright, 26-50 might be nice in a few situations, but 26-10 (only 2.6 ratio) as a high gear would be beyond irritating on flats and moderate downhills.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So you got this hill, it's steep, you ride up it while standing because your gears are too tall to spin. You decide that spinning is healthier for your legs and because there's this other hill you want to climb that is too long for extended standing. This is why people gear bikes differently for touring and sport riding than for racing.

Gearing a mountain bike is no different than gearing an ORV, you gear for the terrain, which is why real 4 x 4's have a low range, and serious 4 x 4's are gear for rock crawling.

Where I ride (Sierras, Cascades) the climbs are serious, few people like to climb what I like to climb, most riders would call my climbs "downhills", but I like to climb and I'm willing to spend all day on a climb. I gear for the climbs - 26 x 46, but even then there are still times when I have to walk.

It's an age old argument, not sure what it matters, but some people get upset when other people push low gears. I get upset when a hill is too steep for my gearing

For example: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...a-canyon-trail

The locals refer to Sierra Canyon as a "training ride". The tourists call it a downhill. I rode it last July, full sun, 90 deg, killed three liters and was still a couple miles short of the top. At the top I begged water from some ORV folks, melted some snow, still out of water for the descent. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Iím in Missoula, where thereís no shortage of hills, albeit not too many techy climbs, and Iím over 40 and drink and eat a lot, but I just canít imagine needing 26-50 for trail riding. I still have 2x10 on my fattie/29+ With 22-36 and that is a ratio of .61. 26-50 is ratio of .52, almost 10% lower. If I could keep it upright, 26-50 might be nice in a few situations, but 26-10 (only 2.6 ratio) as a high gear would be beyond irritating on flats and moderate downhills.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just added my new THOMSON carbon bars, stem, stem cap, seatpost with matching clamp and XT M8000 brakes. I also went with the XT drive train with a Hope 32T chainring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SRAM GX Eagle-img_7605.jpg