mtbr member
    Aug 2007

squealing front disc

Hi;

I thought I'd try this here: I cannot stop my front disc (pug 135mm offset fork) from squealing. I have changed the caliper, the pads (repeatedly), the rotor. I have not changed the wheel or fork. It was horrendous today on a 7 mile slush ride. At least it was mostly uphill but the squealing will not stop.

Could it be a tension thing, do I need to re-check torque on bolts for the caliper and rotor? I am starting to think it is just the fork, the fork resonates and that's all there is to it. Coming up on 5 yrs of this squeal!

Would appreciate any insight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    Hi;

I thought I'd try this here: I cannot stop my front disc (pug 135mm offset fork) from squealing. I have changed the caliper, the pads (repeatedly), the rotor. I have not changed the wheel or fork. It was horrendous today on a 7 mile slush ride. At least it was mostly uphill but the squealing will not stop.

Could it be a tension thing, do I need to re-check torque on bolts for the caliper and rotor? I am starting to think it is just the fork, the fork resonates and that's all there is to it. Coming up on 5 yrs of this squeal!

Would appreciate any insight.

What kind of brakes? This is pretty common when its wet like you describe especially with sintered pads. Is it doing it all the time or just in the wet? Organic pads will be quieter but the noise is normally just a nuisance and doesn't affect performance at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Try spraying your pads with a cleaner, then ride around a little with your break half on, works for me. Your problem does sound a little different (worse) , but worth a try.