ouch....

Squeak....squeak.....

Last couple weeks I've had a weird creaking noise, was positive it was coming from BB/crank area....(usually after some beach riding)....

I took everything apart down there, cranks, chain ring, bash, pulled cups out of frame, pedals, cleats.....cleaned it all, regreased.....

last night....creak creak.....grrr!

Riding partner walked over and grabbed rear wheel & pulled it back & forth sideways...sure enough....creak...squeak! Loosened & tightened rear QR....silent.....sheesh!
    Not sure if a little dirt was in there or what, pain in the....

Hopefully it stays away.
    Riding.....

NONDURO
    I thought I had the same supposed BB noises on my 9:zero:7, and then also assumed I needed a new rear derailleur. Skewer seems to periodically come a bit loose after those 50+ mile 6,000+ footie training rides. Yep, always check the rear skewer tension.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Check the hub too. If you've got a stock pugs rear wheel, I've had the nut on the non-drive side of the rear hub come loose a few times as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post
    Check the hub too. If you've got a stock pugs rear wheel, I've had the nut on the non-drive side of the rear hub come loose a few times as well.
    Yeah, what is up with the hubs on the Pugs? I've had to have one replaced because it came loose and I didn't catch it in time and destroyed the hub body and I've just had to rebuild the replacement hub with new bearings and cones - after having it come loose and being readjusted on a near bi-weekly basis since it was installed in April. I had the same Shimano hub on an FS ride and rode it for 6 years with only minimal maintenance. Does it have something to do with the horizontal dropouts, do you think?

On that note, mine never creak when they are loose, though. Just wobble.

mtbr member
    I have been suffering from a click click noise for a while. A bit like the noise of a broken spoke or the spring retainer in a brake calliper catching on the holes in the disk.

It was driving me mad because it didn't happen when I was off the bike spinning wheels etc, and when I was on it no matter where I looked on the bike, the noise seemed to be coming from where ever I was looking.

Then I realised I was getting the noise on my other fatbike and I was completely puzzled.

Purely by chance I discovered the problem - my helmet! I'd made a gizmo for 24 hour racing to hold the wire for my headlamp so I could keep the battery under my armpit to keep it warm in subzero. It had finally come loose and was lightly rattling under certain circumstances.

In short, it isn't always the usual suspects...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Bike noises are weird especially on Aluminum. On my FS bike I was SURE it was coming from the BB area. Turned out to be the rear derailleur hanger... don't ask me how. I added a little thin bit of grease and then torqued it properly. All better.

How much does it weigh?
    Hooray for my Titanium Bolt on Hadley hub.

I never run into loose wheel issues

Nemophilist
    Same thing, Sharky;

Only it was my fork. Creak creak creak. Fiddled and fussed until I finally found out it was the skewer. It was not loose at all, but I've discovered it likes to be slightly tighter than I thought I liked. Never had that on any other bike. Weird.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    I'm currently searching for the source of the twang on my bike. It sounds like the spokes are twanging when I crank hard. Gonna check tension. I monitor my hubs fairly regularly. Bb, chainrings, etc are tight. Definitely coming from the rear of the bike.

ouch....
    It came back...I removed rear wheel, cleaned frame drop outs, found derailleur was slightly rotated from the stop on the hanger...fixed that, and slightly tightened the bolt on the hanger too....totally silent now! Yay success
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    With as many posts as you have I am shocked you would make a "where is the noise coming from" thread.

Shame...Shame.

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Recently had a creak creak creak that was instantly resolved when I oiled the chain.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    It came back...I removed rear wheel, cleaned frame drop outs, found derailleur was slightly rotated from the stop on the hanger...fixed that, and slightly tightened the bolt on the hanger too....totally silent now! Yay success
    Dude, you helped me stop the insanity! I had this terrible creaking/popping noise, and could not figure it out. It sounded like the bottom bracket, then the head set, seat post, you name it. I actually greased and re-tightened the front skewer the other day because I thought it was coming from the front of the bike, and it did help a bit, but it was still there. Didn't even think rear end, but my der hanger did need tightened, and the skewer was not very tight either. Thank you!! Oh, it is a 2012 Mukluk.

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    With as many posts as you have I am shocked you would make a "where is the noise coming from" thread.

Shame...Shame.
    Haha everyone knows count = internet coolness
    Nothing to do with smarts
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Dropped my chain several times even though I had a chain guide on, I was getting really annoyed because my bike was creaking too.

Should've listened to the bike... E13 bottom bracket was loose. Nearly ruined it and my front chainring has half it's life gone.

If it squeaks, creaks or annoys you, check it out.... sometimes it may be too important to ignore.

mtbr member
    When you hear the 'click click', continue riding until you hear the 'squeak squeak' then put headphones in until you have 'smash smash' or 'cha ching' then buy new bike.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    .....Oh, it is a 2012 Mukluk.
    This reminded me of my creaky Mukluk issue last year. While yours doesn't have Alternator drops, my titanium one does, and it turned out to be the corrosion between the drop out and frame that was making the noise. Cleaned up the dropout after removing them and smeared some anti-seize on the mating surfaces. Noise gone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    As a rule of thumb every time I take a wheel off the bike I clean the drop-outs and grease them. I always have the rear cassette fh body contact points get greased, chain ring crank arm bolts always greased, pedals greased, seat post greased. Sometimes I even grease the grease....just to be sure.