Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Specialized fatty prototype spotted

I competed in a fat bike race this morning and check out who and what I saw. Mr. Ned Overend with a Specialized fatty prototype.

I didn't bug him too much as I was spaced out from racing and drinking beer at the time but he did allow me to take some photos and he did speak a bit about it. This is what I know about this particular build.

- Hydroformed Aluminum
    - BFL's on Clown shoes (symetrical)
    - White Bros Snowpack fork
    - E13 offset double crankset
    - X0 2x10 twist shift

The most interesting thing was that the Specialized hubs were definitely wider than 170mm but he wouldn't confirm the width. He did mention the weight but I honestly can't remember but it was pretty standard. I believe it was 30 but don't quote me on that. I also heard 2nd hand from another guy that talked with Ned that Specialized also plans to make a fork, rims, and tires.

There was a guy I met there named Steve that got quite a bit of info as well, he was actually the one that noticed the width of the hub. Steve if you're out there chime in with what you remember from the convo and feel free to correct anything that I may not have stated correctly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized fatty prototype spotted-photo-7-.jpg  

Specialized fatty prototype spotted-photo-6-.jpg  

Specialized fatty prototype spotted-photo-5-.jpg  

Last edited by akt42; 03-31-2013 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Specialized fatty prototype spotted

Sweet! Some real competition! Now come on Trek!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

banned
    Aug 2012
    Bring it on ... Sooner or later the FS thing is also gonna leave the garage, and go mainstream.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I heard about this a few months ago at the local Spesh dealer. The frame looks just like my Rockhopper.

Shop employee said $3k+ for pricing.

nothing to see here
    Nice work. They just need to add their split shell EBB and I'll buy one.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I heard about this a few months ago at the local Spesh dealer. The frame looks just like my Rockhopper.

Shop employee said $3k+ for pricing.
    $3k at least for that build, it is a direct competitor to the Beargrease. It may be lighter than 30, if not I would take the Beargrease although I dont know how the geometry compares.

mtbr member
    very cool, id like me some specialized tires in 4.8" widths

mtbr member
    Holy hell, I want! So pumped!

$200 and bikeabuser is in.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    $200 and bikeabuser is in.
    yea no shat huh?? be called the speshgoose..lol
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Surly, Salsa, ETC....innovates...Trek, Specialized, ETC imitates...Personally I would never buy one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBBY605 View Post
    Surly, Salsa, ETC....innovates...Trek, Specialized, ETC imitates...Personally I would never buy one.
    I tend to agree with you on this but there is an upside. Mass production should not only push the industry forward but hopefully drop the ridiculous price for components. I'm not complaining, I love my fatty but it would be a bonus to keep some money in my pocket for other projects.

mtbr member
    Looks to me like all the big boys are looking to do is ride the gravy train. So far Kona has targeted the $1500 Pugs market with a $1700 low spec aluminum bike. Now Specialized with a, uh, I guess "sleek" looking high end bike. Nothing groundbreaking or even new, except higher prices than there already were. Not the way I thought things would develop. At least no yet.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Specialized fatty prototype spotted

What we really need is for the big S to start producing their own fat rims and tires. There are enough frames out there. This just seems like another frame to hang Surly fat bike components on.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ultraspontane; 03-31-2013 at 10:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So long as fatbike are selling out of all their runs in very short order, the companies will price them consistent with other current offerings, and maybe even bump the prices up.

This will change once there is some level of saturation in the market. Once dealers and companies need to price a fatbike (or any widget) based on what will clear out inventories, then large and small companies will price them closer to what their costs are. Since large companies can produce at lower cost, they can still make profit while undercutting competition.

The irony is we love being unique and cutting edge, but for prices to drop significantly, you have to approach run-of-the-mill status.

Laramie, Wyoming
    akt42, I was too out of it and then the wind kinda made me stop thinking after the race. I was wishing I had gotten a picture of it. The Steve you mentioned said his bike was 28 pounds, aluminum with carbon Carver forks.

Did you do the 50K? You weren't the guy with the goofy ski on his front tire were you? What was up with that?

I'm hoping that by next year I'll have a carbon fat bike for races instead of my 40 pound Moonie. I am under the impression that Trek with have a carbon fat sometime this summer. And then there is the Beargrease, Jay was expecting his pretty soon when I spoke with him at the Togwotee Winter Classic.
    Last edited by alphazz; 03-31-2013 at 12:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobytao View Post
    The irony is we love being unique and cutting edge, but for prices to drop significantly, you have to approach run-of-the-mill status.
    I don't care about being "unique and cutting edge". I just want to ride a bike the places I want to go and sometimes a fatbike makes most sense, sometimes it makes it more fun. The more players in the market place the better. It means I can buy tyres without getting into sporadic delivery schedules and crap availability.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
    Nothing groundbreaking or even new
    It's what you *can't* see. The geometry that they've spent the last 6 years and millions of dollars developing, to make it ride just like a 26er, cause they know it's what the world really wanted all along....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm just guessing here, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's a pretty good chance that getting a Revelate Designs Framebag for this bike would probably not be in the scope of reality.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    akt42, I was too out of it and then the wind kinda made me stop thinking after the race. I was wishing I had gotten a picture of it. The Steve you mentioned said his bike was 28 pounds, aluminum with carbon Carver forks.

Did you do the 50K? You weren't the guy with the goofy ski on his front tire were you? What was up with that?

I'm hoping that by next year I'll have a carbon fat bike for races instead of my 40 pound Moonie. I am under the impression that Trek with have a carbon fat sometime this summer. And then there is the Beargrease, Jay was expecting his pretty soon when I spoke with him at the Togwotee Winter Classic.
    No to both, i did the 25k, lazy ass in the early season this year. I did win the 25k though. I definitely was not the guy w the ski, i think that looks terrible. You a local as well?

28 lbs seems more likely than 30 but it was definitely a white bros snowpack not a carver.

Personally i would rather have a beargrease than carbon. I am finding out from my mountain bikes that carbon is somewhat disposable. I cant afford to replace a secondary bike every couple of years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hikernks View Post
    I'm just guessing here, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's a pretty good chance that getting a Revelate Designs Framebag for this bike would probably not be in the scope of reality.
    No need for a limb, i would say you definitely wont be able to get one since Eric is no longer making custom bags. Porcelain Rocket makes some nice looking custom frame bags from what i have seen on the net, not seen one in person.

mtbr member
    My thread title was going to be " Ned Overend got fat!" but you beat me to it.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Local, well, from Laramie.

Not only did the ski thing look stupid but it looked like he had to work harder to keep the front of the bike going straight.

The frame bag is a must I feel for general winter snow bike riding. My friends are always having either frozen bottles or frozen tubes from their pack when riding and I pull out my bottles that are just fine.

mtbr member
    Stoked if this becomes a reality. Specialized will change the game if they get into making tires and rims for fatties. It will also be nice to see higher quality standards brought into the fatbike world in frame and fork manufacturing. Kinda annoying when you buy a fatbike frame/fork and things need to be filed, drilled, sanded, aligned right out of the box. Plus having an awesome warranty and a huge dealer network to take care of issues quickly and painlessly. Come on Big S!
    Last edited by lancelot; 03-31-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    My thread title was going to be " Ned Overend got fat!" but you beat me to it.
    Nice! Sorry bout that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    akt42, The Steve you mentioned said his bike was 28 pounds, aluminum with carbon Carver forks.
    Wait, I think I misunderstood this when I replied earlier. Do you mean that Steve said his bike was 28 lbs or Ned's bike was 28 lbs?

Steve has a Titanium Mukluk with a carbon Carver fork. I can definitely believe that weighs 28 lbs.

The Beargrease weighs 28.5 lbs stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBBY605 View Post
    Im'a call bullsh!t on that.

You show me one place where surly have ever innovated ever, aside from innovative ways to separate you from your money.

The pugsley was not an innovation. It was an idea that already existed, mass produced. Surly produces nothing innovative other than the ability to make people buy crappy 4130 frames for near premium prices. Love surly, but I would never in a million years call them innovative.

OK, forgot about the Krampus, which is as far as I know, the only truly original thing surly has ever done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Im'a call bullsh!t on that.

You show me one place where surly have ever innovated ever, aside from innovative ways to separate you from your money.

The pugsley was not an innovation. It was an idea that already existed, mass produced. Surly produces nothing innovative other than the ability to make people buy crappy 4130 frames for near premium prices. Love surly, but I would never in a million years call them innovative.

OK, forgot about the Krampus, which is as far as I know, the only truly original thing surly has ever done.
    That's a bit harsh, what about Long Haul Trucker, Ogre, Troll, and yes the Pugs. They don't claim to invent the niche but they sure make it easier to participate! Premium price? $500 frame is hardly premium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akt42 View Post
    That's a bit harsh, what about Long Haul Trucker, Ogre, Troll, and yes the Pugs. They don't claim to invent the niche but they sure make it easier to participate! Premium price? $500 frame is hardly premium.
    The long haul trucker is a pretty exact copy of the rivendell atlantis. There is zero innovation in the geometry of a general purpose touring bike. Hell, the rivendell atlantis is just a copy of the bridgstone xo (but that's ok because grant petersen just copied himself), and that was just a copy of a hundred other touring bikes from the 70s. The ogre and troll are just steel mtbs. And $500 is a pretty premium price for a made in taiwan 4130 frame.

Don't believe me? note that a Soma Saga touring frameset made out of Tange Prestige (pretty nice steel) is $499. THat'd be a whole 20 bucks more than that 4130 LHT. Oh, and the Soma comes in actual colors someone might like. Surly seems to pick their colors as a F**k you to their customers.

Sup
    If they have carbon rovals I'm in
    otherwise meh
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    At least Specialized will be pushing down the fatbike prices out there by offering a 3K+ bike to the market. I'm sure the Muks and Pugs will be dropping in price ASAP!

It is cool to see more offerings though. Should be interesting to see one in a shop sometime.

mtbr member
    The long haul trucker is a pretty exact copy of the rivendell atlantis. There is zero innovation in the geometry of a general purpose touring bike. Hell, the rivendell atlantis is just a copy of the bridgstone xo (but that's ok because grant petersen just copied himself), and that was just a copy of a hundred other touring bikes from the 70s. The ogre and troll are just steel mtbs. And $500 is a pretty premium price for a made in taiwan 4130 frame.

Don't believe me? note that a Soma Saga touring frameset made out of Tange Prestige (pretty nice steel) is $499. THat'd be a whole 20 bucks more than that 4130 LHT. Oh, and the Soma comes in actual colors someone might like. Surly seems to pick their colors as a F**k you to their customers.
    Fair enough, all valid points that honestly I was not aware of, thanks for the ed. Maybe it's not innovation but they certainly take chances that none of the big guys ever would. I don't know how long it would have taken for me to even see a fat bike, much less own one, if Surly hadn't taken a chance and brought it to a wider audience with the Pugs.

The Ogre and Troll, the extra bottle bosses and Rohloff cable routing are mainly what makes them different. Again, they didn't invent it but damn it is nice to have and again, the big guys would never do it.

just ride

be nice......

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    It's what you *can't* see. The geometry that they've spent the last 6 years and millions of dollars developing, to make it ride just like a 26er, cause they know it's what the world really wanted all along....
    It rides better than you think...............................
    just ride... who cares how big your wheels are

mtbr member
    So maybe they are the ones using the new Schrammm fork?
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I would love if this was posted partially as Surly saying F**k you to you
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member

I thought the same thing when I saw that this morning Jared.

mtbr member
    So let me get this straight, Surly is all butthurt because people don't like the colors they pick? Humorless hipsters are humorless.

Again, I love surly, but innovation is not their game. Their game is marketing well made (if heavy) basic frames and bikes. It's a good game. It's a solid game, it's a game someone needs to play and they play it well.

But thinking that Surly is going to be more innovative than Trek or Specialized is wishful thinking of the highest degree.

I would guess that the first and second generation of trek and specialized fat bikes are not going to be all that innovative other than the innovation of actually being available. IF they catch on, they will get innovative in a hurry.

Either way, two big-ass companies getting wheels and tires made for them means more wheels and tires for the rest of us. THat's a good thing.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Monday, April 1st, 2013

Just sayin'
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

gone walk about
    naaaaaaa thats just an april fools.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I understood perfectly that it was posted on April Fool's. Which is why it would have been funny if they used the day as an opportunity to **** with the forum people
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ahh yes the obligatory April fools acknowledgement on social media.. Surly just lost some cool pts for that lame April fools joke

Laramie, Wyoming
    It might be April Fool's but it probably reflects a lot of truth. Butthurt? They probably are and should be. Their colors do show a lot of laziness. With many other options available, I'll probably never buy another Surly fat bike. Their prices will have to come down and they will probably start seeing their bikes sit around longer. Their boom period is over.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I like their color choices.. In fact, it's antithesis to the typical flashy graphics and loud fonts on other bikes.

I don't get why they can't stock more color ranges.. love the earth tones used on some of their bikes. Would love the flexibility of those colors being available on all models.. Not just the stupid yellow, red, or purple.

The only thing that draws me to Surly is the cleaning looking bike frames and the brazons.. seriously.. if anyone else comes along with those specs satisfied, they would totally be on par with surly from my POV.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    As has been said previously its not a lack of frames that is the issue. If we look at fat bikes the pieces that differentiate for standard mtn bikes are the BB/crank, hubs, rims and tires and specialized is a bicycle company not a component company. I have no interest in owning a specialized branded crankset, hubs or anything that they brand and use OEM. The value, in my opinion, of a big company entering the market is that they have the purchase power to convince manufactures of these pieces to join in. If shimano would start making cranks and hubs for fat bikes or Maxxis, Kenda, or insert you favorite tire here would join then it would make it worth having the big ones at the party.

mtbr member
    Do you think SRAM are making fatbike cranks for the Surly/Salsa niche-core? They'll have done it as part of a deal with Specialized (and mibbe Trek).

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You are likely correct druidh and I guess that is what I was getting at. For me the big ones joining in have more value in getting component manufactures up to speed than just putting another bike on the market. I'm sure this changes from person to person depending on if you like to buy a complete or build up from a frame.

It aint gonna ride itself
    Again, I love surly, but innovation is not their game.
    A. I do not think this word "love" means what you think it means; and

B. Who said Surly was innovative? I don't think they've ever been all that innovative. I think they've been willing to take chances that many other bike companies, the bigger ones in particular, can't or won't take.

The Cross Check, LHT, Big Dummy, Pugs, Pacer...all designs that borrowed heavily from others but executed in a way that succeeded in the market (except maybe the Pacer.) Surly is really good at refining and marketing. Why not give them credit for that and call it a day?

I think the frame color complaints are just ridiculous. Yeah, red, yellow, and black, and "space" flake black along with the awesome green flake of the Krapus are SO lame. There is only so many colors and I think that was Surly's f-you joke.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think the frame color complaints are just ridiculous. Yeah, red, yellow, and black, and "space" flake black along with the awesome green flake of the Krapus are SO lame. There is only so many colors and I think that was Surly's f-you joke.
    reading comprehension much? my complaint about color has nothing to do with the f-you reference..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MauricioB View Post
    A. I do not think this word "love" means what you think it means; and

B. Who said Surly was innovative? I don't think they've ever been all that innovative. I think they've been willing to take chances that many other bike companies, the bigger ones in particular, can't or won't take.

The Cross Check, LHT, Big Dummy, Pugs, Pacer...all designs that borrowed heavily from others but executed in a way that succeeded in the market (except maybe the Pacer.) Surly is really good at refining and marketing. Why not give them credit for that and call it a day?
    Nah, I love my surly, but that doesn't mean I love the hype surrounding the brand and the dumbass tribalism surrounding fatbikes

B- that would be the guy who said "Surly, Salsa, ETC....innovates...Trek, Specialized, ETC imitates...", which is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen written about bikes.

And I give Surly all manner of credit for doing what they do. It just drives me freaking nuts when people think that what they do is innovative, and that having anyone else playing in the fat bike game will somehow ruin fatbikes forever.

More players in the game = more innovation, better quality control and lower prices.

What's funny is that this is EXACTLY what surly did to the fatbike market, and to the steel frame market in general. before surly, fatbikes were ultra rare, incredibly hard to find and parts were few and far between. Surly came in with a buttload of QBP money and suddenly, there's more stuff available for fatbikes, and fatbikes can be purchased in your town. you might even be able to test ride one! Before Surly, there was the Rivendell Atlantis, the never available trek 520 or you could scour ebay for a vintage touring frame, then surly opened up the market with the LHT and spawned a dozen imitators and now, touring frames are easy to find. Definitely hasn't ruined the touring bike market, and a $500 LHT frame is arguably just as good as a $2000 atlantis frame for loaded touring.

But apparently, if anyone else tries to expand the fat bike market, everything is ruined. LIke I said, the twisted logic gives me an aneurysm.

mtbr member
    And I give Surly all manner of credit for doing what they do. It just drives me freaking nuts when people think that what they do is innovative, and that having anyone else playing in the fat bike game will somehow ruin fatbikes forever.
    Innovation can mean 2 things here. They may not invent the ideas that they put into their bikes but surely we can agree that they have an innovative business model in that they will take a chance on a niche that no one else will touch (mass production wise) and make it successful. I do agree 100% on the More players = more innovation = better for us as buyers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I really don't care about the frame, because even the lightest-possible-right-now fatbike wheels weight so much, that weight of the frame is non-factor at all.

But I would like to see rims and tires from big companies, because they will be lighter, stiffer and more technologically advanced, than what we have now ( some WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overpriced rims everywhere... for example )

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Really? You think there is that much ceiling for the technology behind wheel design/manufacturing that it would make a big delta in wheel weight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yes. Technology could bring real tubeless, tubeless ready, or even tubular rims. Not to mention carbon rims. And all of this combined could strip abour 500 grams from the rotating weght from each wheel.

I, personally, think, that is the best solution for fatbike in terms of low pressures, easy to none maintenance and low weight, is tubular wheels with sealant inside. Just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    reading comprehension much? my complaint about color has nothing to do with the f-you reference..
    Wasn't referring to you

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RYNOFREERIDE View Post
    At least Specialized will be pushing down the fatbike prices out there by offering a 3K+ bike to the market. I'm sure the Muks and Pugs will be dropping in price ASAP!

It is cool to see more offerings though. Should be interesting to see one in a shop sometime.
    Yea, just don't talk about Pacific Cycles doing such a thing ... It has a tendency to upset people

banned
    Aug 2012
    big-ass companies getting wheels and tires made for them means more wheels and tires for the rest of us. THat's a good thing.
    Bingo

Warrior

Ned on Fatbike

Google+ post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized fatty prototype spotted-nedo_1223b.jpg  

Come Fly The Rockies

It will be interesting to see if Specialized actually makes their own rims and tires, and what the cost will be. I'm going to assume the price won't be that much lower than Surly, as Specialized is still trying to make money for themselves and their dealers, just like any bike company in this arena.

I honestly think it is silly if people think Specialized will bring any cheaper tires to fat bikes... their S-works and ground control 29er tires are listed at $69... you think a much bigger tire is going to be at that same price or cheaper??? You can get brand new Surly Nate tires for $90... not much off from Spec's 29er tire. And don't bring Bud/Lou into this... I don't think specialized is going to jump into 4.8's right away. Add to that it will be something new for them and you are dreaming thinking prices will be drastically lower. Just trying to give a reality check here.

The positive thing will be more choices and less chance that things will be sold out.

mtbr member
    ...hopefully they do a 26x3, kevlar bead, high TPI summer tire...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

It aint gonna ride itself
    B- that would be the guy who said "Surly, Salsa, ETC....innovates...Trek, Specialized, ETC imitates...", which is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen written about bikes.

[...]

But apparently, if anyone else tries to expand the fat bike market, everything is ruined. LIke I said, the twisted logic gives me an aneurysm.
    Right on. I think we're on the same page then.

Maybe part of the problem is that people are confused about the difference between innovation and development/refinement. They think all of those terms are interchangeable, but they really aren't

Surly is really good at refining and developing this stuff, but not so much at inventing it. Consider marketing to be part of development and this becomes even more true.

Speaking of marketing, you may not like the image they project, but it seems to work. (Though if my decision to buy their products hinged on having to watch the little films they post on their blog, I would own exactly zero Surly stuff.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I honestly think it is silly if people think Specialized will bring any cheaper tires to fat bikes...
    Agreed. Spech makes some cool stuff but I've never held my breath waiting for them to bring the price curve down on ANYTHING.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot View Post
    Agreed. Spech makes some cool stuff but I've never held my breath waiting for them to bring the price curve down on ANYTHING.
    No reason to bring the price down, when people keep paying a premium for their products.

There's a reason they never have a clearance sale ... And it's related to R & D, and marketing.

Good products, for sure ... But I can guarantee you, if they jump Fat ... They won't sell out of a product in January and wait an entire year for another production run.

mtbr member
    Any new news? Will we have a Specialized fat bike released in September???

get down!
    Specialized makes AWESOME tires though. That's what I'm excited about. UMA rims are already really well made, setup tubeless well etc. I would be stoked for Specialized to make a few different tires, regardless of price. NO WAY it will be more than 45 Norths tires.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by neil.beltchenko View Post
    Any new news? Will we have a Specialized fat bike released in September???
    As of now it looks like it will be this month.

They will have at least one tire to start, we'll see where it goes from there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    As of now it looks like it will be this month.

They will have at least one tire to start, we'll see where it goes from there.
    Does anyone what bottom bracket system the frame uses?
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Any word on the MSRP?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot View Post
    Does anyone what bottom bracket system the frame uses?
    Odds are it will be a new proprietary standard they have patented and only available from them...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'll get y'all answers as soon as I have them.

mtbr member
    OP says "E13 offset double crankset"...so whatever BB is compatible, I would guess.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

All fat, all the time.
    This would have been so much more cool with a fat fs stumpy....

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I'll get y'all answers as soon as I have them.
    Media embargo ends Monday the 15th. This bike is going to cause quite a stir.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Specialized fatty prototype spotted-39c870d6df752b61a97f848c05dbdec9.jpg

¿?

mtbr member
    Nice!
    The LPG

mtbr member
    the rear end looks SHORT and the tires look like 4.8 BUD and LOU, aren't they?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fer83 View Post
    the rear end looks SHORT and the tires look like 4.8 BUD and LOU, aren't they?
    They smudged out the logos on the tires in the picture. Can't show any non-Spesh logos!

mtbr member
    4.8" the captain and ground control tires will be laughable

with 2blis control casing of course

A little bird told me:

"Specialized will have 2 Fat Bike options next year called the Fatboy. They will both be aluminum frames with carbon forks. Priced around $1800 to $2500."
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fer83 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39c870d6df752b61a97f848c05dbdec9.jpg 
Views:	4377 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	815398

¿?
    Looks like every other fat bike. If they wanted to be really cool, they would use their buying power to build a nicely equipped bike for $1200 or so- that would be commendable. Unless there is so new wheel/tire technology they are bring, then meh.

mtbr member
    Holy Crap that thing looks sick!!!!!

mtbr member
    A little bird told me:

"Specialized will have 2 Fat Bike options next year called the Fatboy. They will both be aluminum frames with carbon forks. Priced around $1800 to $2500."

At least its not up past $3,000, I'm happy with these options. I'm super pumped to hear more! thanks for the INFO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Specialized hubs, rims, tires frames and tapered carbon forks--maybe even 100mm crank. If those are indeed Specialized 4.0 tires I will be putting money down at my LBS today!

I don't get why they spec X5 derailleurs though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    looks like Grim Shift too. Fork lloks cool as does running 2 x 9/10 with a 4.8 tires. Looking forward to seeing the details

mtbr member
    Shit... that's at Copper Mountain. I'm about 20 minutes away. I should go over and get some more spy photos/details.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post
    Shit... that's at Copper Mountain. I'm about 20 minutes away. I should go over and get some more spy photos/details.
    Do it! We'll wait here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    If they wanted to be really cool, they would use their buying power to build a nicely equipped bike for $1200 or so- that would be commendable.
    ^ Exactly.
    First company to figure out how to break the $1000 barrier wins.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy View Post
    ^ Exactly.
    First company to figure out how to break the $1000 barrier wins.
    Wins what? Is your "regular" mountain bike under $1000?

mtbr member
    Yeah I would never pay under 1000 for a fat bike. Or any bike for that matter.

mtbr member
    They jump on the fat bike trend but they still don't build a 650B?? What would they sell most of?
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    They jump on the fat bike trend but they still don't build a 650B?? What would they sell most of?
    I heard some grumblings of 650B's being tested for '15 models. I seriously doubt they will slack on 650B like they did with 29ers
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Lol right after I saw this newest pic, a local female racer / fitness journalist I follow on Facebook posted up a pic of her in what appears to be Colorado, mentioning she is checking out a secret new Specialized but can't break the embargo and spill the beans. Hmmm...
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Share the photo plz.

Fat & Single
    Looks awesome !!!! Im excited.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have four photos in my possession and this bike looks great. My employers are at the launch of 2014 bikes in Colorado. I will post pics and info as soon as embargo ends I will have one as soon as they are available which I will find out next week when the business owners return My Muk 3 will be for sale

mtbr member
    Cool thanks, Cant wait. I get a decent deal on Specialized so I think I'm sold on the higher end one. I just hope they dont sell out too fast. Do you know the sizing? standard 15, 17, 19?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Waiting on sizing info myself. Apparently one model only coming to Australia.

mtbr member
    A little bird told me:

Well I guess we shall see if the little bird has his facts straight. I hope at least the $2500 one is X9 rear.

mtbr member
    What S is making a fat-fixie for $3K?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Apparently Spesh already had not one but two bikes named the Fatboy in the past. I feel they could be a little more creative with this fatbike name.

'15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast