Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9

    Specialized Fatboy STOUT XC 90 Wheel Weights and Alternatives?

    Hello,
    My question is 2 fold.. I just bought a 2016 Fatboy Comp Carbon.. stock with Stout XC 90 wheels.
    Wheels are setup tubeless. Better, but still a drag.

    Anyone know what this set of XC 90s wheels weighs? .. I look all over the net and could not find it.

    Also, anyone with cost effective alternatives aside from making the Carbon investment, would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,136
    On the wheels on my '15 Expert, I shaved over 100gr per wheel switching out hubs. You can cut 100-200gr switching to carbon rims, but then have to worry about costs and possible durability issues.

    Two cheaper ways to cut rotating mass are your tubeless method and tires.

    What tubeless method are you using? If you are using Gorilla tape and rim strips it is likely as heavy or heavier than running tubes once you have sealant. A reg duct tape rim strip and shrink wrap will shave a few hundred grams. I just bought a fattystripper rim strip and seal which seem to be pretty light as well.

    For tires, the GC 4.6's grip well, but are on the heavy side. They also seem to drag a bit if your PSI is too low. Invest in a good low psi gauge and play in the 6-10 psi range for non snow/sand riding. Jumbo Jims can shave a few hundred grams at the expense of some grip.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9

    response

    Thanks for the feedback. I have a Gorilla tape set up.
    some just informed me that my wheels weigh

    Front wheel- 3lbs 09ozs.
    Rear wheel- 3lbs 01ozs.

    Wow, these are bricks!!

    I'm thinking to just move to the DT Swiss BR2250 wheels. I can get a set for about 600 usd.. They weigh under 2300 grams.. that would save me 700 grams!!
    DT Swiss - BR 2250 Classic

    Traditionally, i am a Schwalbe gut.. the Jumbo Jims 4.0 would be great.

    I will have to look at the Fattystripper you mention too.

    As rotational weight, I think that should be a good start....








    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    On the wheels on my '15 Expert, I shaved over 100gr per wheel switching out hubs. You can cut 100-200gr switching to carbon rims, but then have to worry about costs and possible durability issues.

    Two cheaper ways to cut rotating mass are your tubeless method and tires.

    What tubeless method are you using? If you are using Gorilla tape and rim strips it is likely as heavy or heavier than running tubes once you have sealant. A reg duct tape rim strip and shrink wrap will shave a few hundred grams. I just bought a fattystripper rim strip and seal which seem to be pretty light as well.

    For tires, the GC 4.6's grip well, but are on the heavy side. They also seem to drag a bit if your PSI is too low. Invest in a good low psi gauge and play in the 6-10 psi range for non snow/sand riding. Jumbo Jims can shave a few hundred grams at the expense of some grip.

  4. #4
    Not the fake Jay Leno
    Reputation: Chinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    357
    This thread has some useful info: Specialized Fat Boy wheel/tire weights and photos

  5. #5
    SimonsJ
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by borkster View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a Gorilla tape set up.
    some just informed me that my wheels weigh

    Front wheel- 3lbs 09ozs.
    Rear wheel- 3lbs 01ozs.

    Wow, these are bricks!!

    I'm thinking to just move to the DT Swiss BR2250 wheels. I can get a set for about 600 usd.. They weigh under 2300 grams.. that would save me 700 grams!!
    DT Swiss - BR 2250 Classic

    Traditionally, i am a Schwalbe gut.. the Jumbo Jims 4.0 would be great.

    I will have to look at the Fattystripper you mention too.

    As rotational weight, I think that should be a good start....
    Do you have the 2016 wheels? The 2014-15 wheels are down around 2600-2800g range, like the BR2250s, since the rims are both DT Swiss. I heard the 2016 wheels were coming in way, way heavier... I just can't believe it. That's a massive increase... at least 1000g.

    Big mistake by Specialized if true...

    Tubeless on the BR 2250's using FattyStripper Tubeless Fat Bike Solutions will get you a quick and reliable tubeless solution to eliminate 2 lbs and 25W of rolling resistance... and it funds trail grooming in Colorado.

  6. #6
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,420
    Velocity Dually 45mm rims?
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonsJ View Post
    Do you have the 2016 wheels? The 2014-15 wheels are down around 2600-2800g range, like the BR2250s, since the rims are both DT Swiss. I heard the 2016 wheels were coming in way, way heavier... I just can't believe it. That's a massive increase... at least 1000g.

    Big mistake by Specialized if true...

    Tubeless on the BR 2250's using FattyStripper Tubeless Fat Bike Solutions will get you a quick and reliable tubeless solution to eliminate 2 lbs and 25W of rolling resistance... and it funds trail grooming in Colorado.

    Yes , I have the 2016 wheel set.. I just pulled them off and stripped them down last night.. I would say the most of the extra 700gr must be in the hubs.. The rims are also DT swiss, but must be a previous gen... I compared the two (2250s to stouts) and the 2250 have a slightly different edgier shape to them... The DT swiss hubs also roll nicer.
    Just gonna flip the Spetzi's and set up the 2250 tubeless. thinking about trying the Fattystripper. Just not sure if going with on of the non-gorilla type tapes might be a simpler solution.

    Once I find a set of Schwalbe J.Jims 4.0s that will also save me another KG.

    I am hoping is the end to land between 26-27 lbs..

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    139
    weights on my 2016 SE

    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 13.58.45.png
Views: 3664
Size:  11.4 KBName:  Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 13.58.35.png
Views: 3860
Size:  13.6 KB

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9
    Thanks for sharing this weight info.

    Assuming the weights are correct, the difference from the Spetzi 2016 Fatboy wheelset and the DT Swiss 2250s would be:

    Spezti>
    frt. 1458
    rr. 1661
    total... 3119 gr

    DT Swiss 2250

    Frt. 1050 gr
    rr. 1080 gr.
    total 2230 gr.

    Delta Spetzi to DT Swiss : 889 gr. (DT Swiss lighter by 1.9 pounds)

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    139
    my weights are rim+hub+spokes

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9
    Yep, the DT Swiss wheels too.

    Numbers reflect a true direct comparison.

    I didn't realized the gap was so large.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2
    Hi
    I would like to put 1x12 on my fatboy and have to change the freehub from Shimano to Sram XD
    Any one have a part number or link for the correct free hub? Will be greatly appreciated

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 144
    Last Post: 01-30-2017, 09:31 AM
  2. Installed XD driver on Specialized FatBoy wheel...
    By carbonLORD in forum Specialized
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2016, 10:00 AM
  3. RM Blizzard -30 vs Specialized FatBoy/FatBoy Comp?
    By Engineer90 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-23-2015, 12:13 PM
  4. Specialized Stout Hub
    By NYrr496 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2013, 05:56 PM
  5. Fatbike Tube weights, alternatives.
    By cford in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 12:07 PM

Members who have read this thread: 31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.