mtbr member

Specialized Fatboy sizing?

Hi everyone, I've been looking at the Specialized fatboy and I just can't figure out what size I should order. I'm 5-10" 32" inseam and haven't had a mtb in a while. My last few bikes were all Roubaix/Supersix 56cm. I would rather be more upright on the bike if that helps out. I'm not planning on riding too hard or jumping of any kind.
    Thanks Anthony

Rocking on a Rocky
    Large maybe a medium.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    I know I'm either a medium or a large. I just wanted to see if anybody my size has ridden both sizes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Large

I'm 5'8" and ride a medium

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I would go for the large.
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I’d go with the large.

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009
    I'm 6'3 34" inseam and ride a carbon XL comfortably with plenty of stand over clearance.

I would recommend a large for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I’m 5-10 with a 30” inseam and ride a FB Carbon large. Keep in mind tires make a big difference. With 4” tires (stock) the large is perfect for me. With 4.8 minion FBF it borders on too big. At 32” inseam you could go either way. Personally I prefer the feel of a bigger bike. If you prefer a bigger bike go large, if not medium would probably be a better fit. No regerts....

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009
    Good point as tires can make a subtle difference in standover height. My FB Carbon Expert came with 4.6 Ground Control tires stock (the 4.0 size was not available yet) and I am now running JJ 4.8 tires so my recommendation is based on the larger end of tire sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chowderhead1972 View Post
    No regerts....
    ...... side note..... this comment made me laugh as it reminds me of the comercial featuring a lady tattoo artist working on a tat for a burly motorcycle guy.

She is distracted by the snack she is eating and did a tattoo "typo" on his arm ....... she was supposed to ink "No Regrets" but mistakenly wrote "No Regerts"!

Her sarcastic response was........ "Sorry, I was eating a MilkyWay". LOL

mtbr member
    It seams that from what I've read and recommendations so far I could go with medium of large. I do know that I don't want to be stretched out in the bike. I used to ride a 56cm roubaix and liked it more than the tarmac because it was more upright. I have seen that some tires depending on witdth can make a pretty big difference in diameter, in turn raising the bikes standover height. Thanks for everyones help so far.
    Last edited by echefanthony; 04-08-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am a little under 5-10 with a 32" inseam.

Did a parking lot demo; found it a little streatched out as I want an upright position also.

Would a riser bar and a shorter stem get you where you want to be?

The large offers more stack compared to a medium?
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SADDLE TRAMP View Post
    I am a little under 5-10 with a 32" inseam.

Did a parking lot demo; found it a little streatched out as I want an upright position also.

Would a riser bar and a shorter stem get you where you want to be?

The large offers more stack compared to a medium?

Did you ride a medium or large? I figured a large would be more upright, am I right? The large with shorter stem might be good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Large will have a longer top tube and as I recall a slightly longer stem which would yield a more stretched out riding position. IMO a medium sounds like it would be a better fit for your preferences. Bars and stems can be changed but top tubes are permanent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowderhead1972 View Post
    Large will have a longer top tube and as I recall a slightly longer stem which would yield a more stretched out riding position. IMO a medium sounds like it would be a better fit for your preferences. Bars and stems can be changed but top tubes are permanent.
    I had a 17" Gravity 27Five ss. If I remember correctly it fit me but I definitely could've went with a large. I don't know how that compares to a fatboy but whatever model doesnt stretch me out would be best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by echefanthony View Post
    Hi everyone, I've been looking at the Specialized fatboy and I just can't figure out what size I should order. I'm 5-10" 32" inseam and haven't had a mtb in a while. My last few bikes were all Roubaix/Supersix 56cm. I would rather be more upright on the bike if that helps out. I'm not planning on riding too hard or jumping of any kind.
    Thanks Anthony
    I'm just shy of 6' (5' 11.75" to be precise) but have short inseam (29") and long torso/arms. For me, the Large Fatboy frame seemed a bit too big and rangy, I orderd and like the feel of the Medium frame.

No one around here has any of these bikes in stock, so there was no opportunity to test ride one until it arrived. I did test ride a Fuse in Large and felt it too tall.

G

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I had a 17" Gravity 27Five ss. If I remember correctly it fit me but I definitely could've went with a large. I don't know how that compares to a fatboy but whatever model doesnt stretch me out would be best.
    The Fatboy has a longer top tube than a lot of other similar bikes. IMO you will be happy with either bike but more upright on a medium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    I'm just shy of 6' (5' 11.75" to be precise) but have short inseam (29") and long torso/arms. For me, the Large Fatboy frame seemed a bit too big and rangy, I orderd and like the feel of the Medium frame.

No one around here has any of these bikes in stock, so there was no opportunity to test ride one until it arrived. I did test ride a Fuse in Large and felt it too tall.

G
    That's kind of my dilemma since no one has one and I have to order and wait for a 2019.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That's kind of my dilemma since no one has one and I have to order and wait for a 2019.
    I did analysis of the Fatboy Comp Carbon by comparing its geometry specs against a bike I knew I was very comfortable on (iZip Sumo E3 in Medium size). They were all within a few mm one way or another, so I figured the FCC would fit me in the same size, also figured it would have a similar feel due to the geometry, although the much lighter weight and different frame material doesn't give 100% confidence on that score. I rode a few other carbon models that were also similar: they fit me well and the difference in feel gave me an estimate.

The frame is identical between 2016-2017-2018 FCC models, and the equipment is identical 2016-2017 (2018s move on a bit with different components).

I then hunted all over the country and found a 2017 FCC available new from a dealer on the other side of the country at a substantial discount ... enough to upgrade and customize it even beyond the new 2018 spec, for my use, while not spending more than a new 2018.

Erik's Bike Shop in the midwest has some new 2018s in stock, but they require that someone walk into one of their dealerships to sign the paperwork and buy it. Then they can ship it to you. The guy I bought from was kind enough to consider the walk-in requirement as fulfilled by my calling him and talking to him over the phone.. He was the only dealer that had a new 2017 at the price, and I got the last one. I feel I was pretty lucky to get it, and the FCC in Medium fits me very well. My upgraded components should be in next week (moving to Shimano XT drive, 1x11, and Slate 4 brakes)—looking forward to it!

It's a bit tricky to buy this way, you have to know and understand in exhaustive detail what you are looking for and what every detail means in terms of your riding preferences and use. But ... such it is. It worked out well for me.

G

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Did you ride a medium or large? I figured a large would be more upright, am I right? The large with shorter stem might be good.
    Large.

I found it to be just a little too stretched out for my age, thirty years ago...in fact it felt not unlike my 29 year old Fisher.
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and I've been riding a Medium Fatboy for 2 seasons now. Very comfortable ride and I feel in control of the bike. The Large is way too stretched out, IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and I've been riding a Medium Fatboy for 2 seasons now. Very comfortable ride and I feel in control of the bike. The Large is way too stretched out, IMO.
    Good to know, I do remember every time I bought a mtb from my old specialized dealer they always told me a medium was my size. I was also fitted on all those bikes so they weren't just taking guesses. Does snow riding have anything to do with sizing?

mtbr member
    Ok so I just called Specialized and they said that if I'm riding in more snow to get the medium. He also said with my dimensions I can get either one and I would be fine. The best news I got from the conversation was that the rockhopper 29er has a very similar geometry. So I'll probably just go test out a m/l RH and see which one feels better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I just walked through the Specialized pages on each of their bikes to look at geometry specs, but whatever works.

(Never ridden in snow and don't ride off road so I can't comment on that question. I am a street rider ... I just like the feel of these big fat tires on pavement, even if I'm pretty slow compared to the folks on the thin-tired road bikes.)

G

mtbr member
    I have always found you need to actually sit on and test ride a bike for size before purchasing, and see what feels best under you. Everyone is shaped differently and have different expectations. Ride the bike you want to buy not a bike kinda like it.
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    I am 5'11" 180 lbs always had med frames, when I went to purchase FB, rode med and large and the cockpit of the large felt soooo much better to me, I now ride my FB exclusively. I'll never look back.
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    I have always found you need to actually sit on and test ride a bike for size before purchasing, and see what feels best under you. Everyone is shaped differently and have different expectations. Ride the bike you want to buy not a bike kinda like it.
    I would ride both if I could, that's definitely my first option just like I used to do with my rockhoppers/roubaix. No specialized dealer had any fatboy se. They aren't any in stock in med or large so ordering one now isn't an option, until 2019. When specialized customer service told me the rockhopper 29 has the same geometry it sounded like the next best thing to do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That's always been my preference as well, but unless I was willing to fly to the mid-west or Alabama, there were absolutely NONE available at any dealer to ride, and NONE left at the manufacturer's distributor until the 2019s are released.

I did what I had to do to get one early enough in the season to enjoy it. And I'm definitely enjoying the heck out of it!

The FCC cockpit is somewhat more close-coupled than the cockpit on my Sumo: the bars end up being about 2 inches lower and about 2 inches wider, the rear stays are about shorter by a similar amount, such that the FCC feels more like a sports car and the Sumo more like a luxury car. I enjoy the difference! Both (equipped with smooth roadie tires) are great rides on the street for me: I love they way they handle and stop.

I'm too old to be fast, so I might as well enjoy the feel, the handling, and the stopping... LOL!

G

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Large. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. I just put a shorter and more upright stem on my large. The LBS should be willing to swap one out for you at minimal cost (if any). All my road bikes were 56 cm for comparison.

mtbr member
    Ramarren - wow that is a bummer. I am 5'11 with 32 inseam, 185 lbs. For what it is worth, the first Fatboy I test rode, was a Med, felt ok but not quite right for me. Then tried a large and ahhhh was much more comfortable. I am 51 and really love this bike .
    Best of luck and hope you enjoy yours as much as I do!
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Ramarren - wow that is a bummer. I am 5'11 with 32 inseam, 185 lbs. For what it is worth, the first Fatboy I test rode, was a Med, felt ok but not quite right for me. Then tried a large and ahhhh was much more comfortable. I am 51 and really love this bike .
    Best of luck and hope you enjoy yours as much as I do!
    Not a bummer, just a problem to solve. It's solved: I love the medium Fatboy Comp Carbon (FCC) I bought, it's an absolute delight to ride and fits me beautifully!

You're 5'11" with 32" inseam, I'm 5'11.75" with 29" inseam: we have opposite problems in body fit. I'm your basic gorilla shape—long torso, long arms, short-ish legs. My old Cinelli Criterium racer was a 52cm (seat post) frame, just about at the limits of what I could get my leg over.

I had the FCC upgraded to Shimano XT shifter/derailleur, a Raceface 32T chainring (largest size that can fit comfortably), and a Sunrace 11-46T 11-speed cassette. The gearing is now perfect for my use with no loss on the low gear's leverage and a high enough gear for maximum speed pedaling on downhills. I've also upgraded the brakes to TRP Slate 4T: they are terrific, and a big improvement over the Shimano Deore brakes it came with. Add the Duro Fleetwood 26x4.00 semi-slicks, a set of Ergon GP-1 BioKork grips, and a Sportour Garda M GelFlow saddle ... and the beautiful little Ion bell in copper finish ... and all I want to do is ride this puppy!

G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    Not a bummer, just a problem to solve. It's solved: I love the medium Fatboy Comp Carbon (FCC) I bought, it's an absolute delight to ride and fits me beautifully!

You're 5'11" with 32" inseam, I'm 5'11.75" with 29" inseam: we have opposite problems in body fit. I'm your basic gorilla shape—long torso, long arms, short-ish legs. My old Cinelli Criterium racer was a 52cm (seat post) frame, just about at the limits of what I could get my leg over.

I had the FCC upgraded to Shimano XT shifter/derailleur, a Raceface 32T chainring (largest size that can fit comfortably), and a Sunrace 11-46T 11-speed cassette. The gearing is now perfect for my use with no loss on the low gear's leverage and a high enough gear for maximum speed pedaling on downhills. I've also upgraded the brakes to TRP Slate 4T: they are terrific, and a big improvement over the Shimano Deore brakes it came with. Add the Duro Fleetwood 26x4.00 semi-slicks, a set of Ergon GP-1 BioKork grips, and a Sportour Garda M GelFlow saddle ... and the beautiful little Ion bell in copper finish ... and all I want to do is ride this puppy!

G
    Sounds like your all set!

Sounds like a sweet ride!

Now go out and have some fun with it! 😁
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Sounds like your all set!
    Sounds like a sweet ride!
    Now go out and have some fun with it! 😁
    I did, I did: Went for a 16 mile ride today. The bike is awesome!

G