Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 322
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jfrbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    55

    Specialized Fatboy newest info

    Fatboy Expert Black
    Fatboy Expert $2600 November

    FRAME New Specialized M4 Premium Aluminum, Fat Bike Geometry, fully butted w/ smooth welds, tapered headtube, post-mount disc dropouts, replaceable alloy derailleur hanger

    FORK FACT carbon full monocoque, 5.0" tire clearance, 135mm spacing

    HEADSET 1-1/8" upper and 1-1/2" lower FSA, Campy style w/ integrated cartridge bearings, 3.8mm cone spacer

    STEM Specialized 3D forged 6061 alloy, 4-bolt clamp, 6-degree rise, 60mm/70mm length, 31.8mm

    HANDLEBARS Specialized mini riser bar, 6061 double-butted alloy, 660/700mm wide, 10-degree backsweep, 6-degree upsweep, 31.8mm

    GRIPS SRAM, 92mm grip, included with SRAM S-Series GS shifter

    FRONT BRAKE Shimano Deore, BR-505, hydraulic disc, 180mm rotor

    REAR BRAKE Shimano Deore, BR-505, hydraulic disc, 160mm rotor

    BRAKE LEVERS Shimano Deore, hydraulic lever, w/ reach adj.

    FRONT DERAILLEUR SRAM X7, low direct mount

    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X0, Type 2, 10-speed

    SHIFT LEVERS SRAM S-Series, Grip Shift twist shifter, 10-speed

    CASSETTE Sunrace, 10-speed, , alloy spacers, alloy lock-ring, 11-36

    CHAIN KMC X-10L, hollow outer links

    CRANKSET Custom e.thirteen, 2 piece, PF30, 100mm spindle, 170mm/175mm length

    CHAINRINGS 36/22

    BOTTOM BRACKET e.thirteen PF30, included w/ crankset

    PEDALS Specialized Bennies, 6061 alloy body, sealed cartridge bearings, removal 4.5mm pins

    RIMS Specialized Fatboy SL, alloy disc, single wall, 90mm wide, sleeve joint, hookless design, 32 hole

    FRONT HUB Specialized MTB disc, alloy, Hi Lo flange, sealed bearings, 135mm wide, alloy axle, QR, 32h

    REAR HUB Specialized MTB disc, alloy, Hi Lo flange, sealed bearings, 190mm wide, alloy axle, QR, 32h

    SPOKES Stainless, double butted, threadlock, 14g

    FRONT TIRE Specialized Ground Control, 26x4.6", Kevlar bead, 120TPI

    REAR TIRE Specialized Ground Control, 26x4.6", Kevlar bead, 120TPI

    INNER TUBES Standard presta valve

    SADDLE Body Geometry Henge SL, hollow Cr-Mo rails, lite PU foam, 143mm

    SEATPOST Specialized alloy, 2-bolt, micro-adjust, 30.9mm, 350mm/400mm

    SEAT BINDER Forged alloy, QR, 34.9mm

    NOTES

    Specifications subject to change without notice.

    Fatboy Green
    Fatboy Black

    Fatboy $2000 Novemeber

    FRAME New Specialized M4 Premium Aluminum, 29er geometry, fully butted w/ smooth welds, tapered headtube, post-mount disc dropouts, replaceable alloy derailleur hanger

    FORK FACT carbon full monocoque, 5.0" tire clearance, 135mm spacing

    HEADSET 1-1/8" upper and 1-1/2" lower FSA, Campy style w/ integrated cartridge bearings, 3.8mm cone spacer

    STEM Specialized 3D forged 6061 alloy, 4-bolt clamp, 6-degree rise, 60mm/70mm length, 31.8mm

    HANDLEBARS Specialized mini riser bar, 6061 double-butted alloy, 660/700mm wide, 10-degree backsweep, 6-degree upsweep, 31.8mm

    GRIPS SRAM, 92mm grip, included with SRAM S-Series GS shifter

    FRONT BRAKE Tektro Draco 2, hydraulic disc, dual piston, 180mm rotor

    REAR BRAKE Tektro Draco 2, hydraulic disc, dual piston, 160mm rotor

    BRAKE LEVERS Tektro Draco 2, hydraulic lever

    FRONT DERAILLEUR SRAM X7, low direct mount

    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X7, 10-speed, medium carbon cage

    SHIFT LEVERS SRAM S-Series, Grip Shift twist shifter, 10-speed

    CASSETTE Sunrace, 10-speed, 11-36

    CHAIN KMC X-10

    CRANKSET Custom 2x10, 2 piece, PF30, forged alloy crankarm, w/ 100mm CNC spindle, 170mm/175mm length

    CHAINRINGS 36/22

    BOTTOM BRACKET Samox, PF30 for 2 pc. crankset, 100mm shell, included w/ crankset

    PEDALS Alloy, 1 pc. body and cage, w/ reflectors, 9/16"

    RIMS Specialized Fatboy SL, alloy disc, single wall, 90mm wide, sleeve joint, hookless design, 32 hole

    FRONT HUB Specialized MTB disc, alloy, Hi Lo flange, sealed bearings, 135mm wide, alloy axle, QR, 32h

    REAR HUB Specialized MTB disc, alloy, Hi Lo flange, sealed bearings, 190mm wide, alloy axle, QR, 32h

    SPOKES Stainless, 2.0, threadlock, 14g

    FRONT TIRE Specialized Ground Control, 26x4.6", Kevlar bead, 120TPI

    REAR TIRE Specialized Ground Control, 26x4.6", Kevlar bead, 120TPI

    INNER TUBES Standard presta valve

    SADDLE Body Geometry Henge, steel rails, 143mm

    SEATPOST Specialized alloy, 2-bolt, micro-adjust, 30.9mm, 350mm/400mm

    SEAT BINDER Forged alloy, QR, 34.9mm

    Fatboy Expert Bike Geometry

    Size 15.5 17.5 19.0 21.0

    Bottom Bracket Drop 60mm 60mm 60mm 60mm

    Bottom Bracket Height 315mm 315mm 315mm 315mm

    Chainstay Length 455mm 455mm 455mm 455mm

    Crank Length 170mm 175mm 175mm 175mm

    Handle-Bar Width 700mm 700mm 700mm 700mm

    Head Tube Angle 70.5° 70.5° 70.5° 70.5°

    Head Tube Length (Carve) 110mm 120mm 135mm 150mm

    Reach 395mm 420mm 437mm 458mm

    Seat Tube Angle (Actual) 73° 73° 73° 73°

    Seat Tube Angle (Effective) 73° 73° 73° 73°

    Seat Tube Length, Center to Top (Carve) 394mm 445mm 483mm 533mm

    Seat-Post Length 350mm 350mm 400mm 400mm

    Stack 590mm 600mm 615mm 629mm

    Stem Length 60mm 60mm 70mm 70mm

    Top Tube Length (Horizontal) (Carve) 576mm 603mm 625mm 650mm

    Wheel Base 0mm 1105mm 1128mm 1154mm

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Schott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    586

    Specialized Fatboy newest info

    4.6.........interesting!


    "You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,210
    Anybody think the E13 cranks and the Deore brakes are worth the $600 upgrade in price?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Anybody think the E13 cranks and the Deore brakes are worth the $600 upgrade in price?
    X0 (vs X7) R. derrailleur on the Expert model, too. Not sure what "S" series Gripshifters are.
    But no, unless the specs are wrong, not worth it. Plus, I like the matte green/black of the base model better .

  5. #5
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    871
    Anyone know anything new about the tires other than the revised size?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jfrbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    55

    Re: Specialized Fatboy newest info

    They have not posted any new info on the ties yet

  7. #7
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,419
    I'm liking the revised tire size!!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    870

    Med Moonlander Vs Fat Boy 17.5

    Both have the same HTA, STA, HTL, & BBD.

    ML has a 321 BBH vs 315 far the FB = a 12mm shorter dia. tire on the FB (750mm?)

    ML WB = 1093.9 vs 1105.0 for FB

    ML FC = 643.9 vs 650.0 for FB * unknown for FB is the A/C & Offset

    ML CSL = 450.0 vs 455.0 for FB

    ML ETT = 595.0 vs 603.0 for FB

    ML STL = 457.2 vs 445.0 for FB = (18.0000" vs 17.5196")

    ML Bar = 660 vs 700 for FB

    ML Stem = 100 vs 60 for FB

    The FB should have more SO room than the ML, which is listed at 800.1mm = 31.5000"

    Weights not given but expect the FB to be lighter.

    Looks like a shot across the bow at Surly?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Unless I am missing something, this is the same info that has been listed on the Specialized web site for a while.

    As far as I can tell, the only new info here is the ETA. There is another thread discussing the ETA. Originally, my LBS told me December. Recently, however, my LBS is cautiously optimistic about November.

    Since Specialized does not mention an ETA on their web site, I am wondering what your source is for an ETA of November? I am not doubting you because you confirm what my LBS has told me recently. However, I am curious where you saw or heard an ETA of November?

  10. #10
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,939
    I'd like to see people stop obsessing over the bottom line, and start paying heed to the abominable, inexcusable business practices that Specialized uses to maintain market share.

    I understand that business is business. I also understand that many people are making their bike buying decisions based on very, very tight financial considerations. It follows that many are willing to ignore (or are simply ignorant of) Specialized's ability to royally screw little guys the world over when making their bike buying purchases.

    I ask that all whom are considering *any* bike purchase the next few years give a *lot* more thought to where that money will ultimately end up.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jfrbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    55

    Re: Specialized Fatboy newest info

    Shipment dates are from internal LBS site for specialized dealers on when bikes will ship.

    Sorry i missed post i thought specs and geo was new information.

    Also did not know if people knew the confirmed colors.

    Never understand the Specialized hate. Looking at Surly Pug Ops with my own build. new option for the market and new tire options always make me happier but to each there own.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I'd like to see people stop obsessing over the bottom line, and start paying heed to the abominable, inexcusable business practices that Specialized uses to maintain market share.

    I understand that business is business. I also understand that many people are making their bike buying decisions based on very, very tight financial considerations. It follows that many are willing to ignore (or are simply ignorant of) Specialized's ability to royally screw little guys the world over when making their bike buying purchases.

    I ask that all whom are considering *any* bike purchase the next few years give a *lot* more thought to where that money will ultimately end up.
    I have a better idea. I'll spend my money where I want, and you spend your money where you want.

    Most of us on this forum are adult males, and we do not need some weenie telling us how to spend our money. Nobody is telling you how to spend your money.

    And who exactly is the "little guy" anyway? Surly and Salsa? If I understand correctly, they are subsidiaries of the largest wholesale distributor in the cycling industry. Not exactly little guys, and competition is a good thing.

    Instead of hijacking a thread about a product launch, why don't you start a separate thread dedicated to your obvious hatred of Specialized? Wouldn't that be a better idea? Especially if you can provide some factual and logical justification for your hatred?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jfrbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    55

    Re: Specialized Fatboy newest info

    Like normal Spock saves the day with logic.

  14. #14
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,419
    Forget it we don't need another thread off topic

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I'd like to see people stop obsessing over the bottom line, and start paying heed to the abominable, inexcusable business practices that Specialized uses to maintain market share.

    I understand that business is business. I also understand that many people are making their bike buying decisions based on very, very tight financial considerations. It follows that many are willing to ignore (or are simply ignorant of) Specialized's ability to royally screw little guys the world over when making their bike buying purchases.

    I ask that all whom are considering *any* bike purchase the next few years give a *lot* more thought to where that money will ultimately end up.

    Very well said...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrbikes View Post
    Shipment dates are from internal LBS site for specialized dealers on when bikes will ship.
    Awesome, thanks!

  17. #17
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,850
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I'd like to see people stop obsessing over the bottom line, and start paying heed to the abominable, inexcusable business practices that Specialized uses to maintain market share.
    Yep, lambs to the "S"laughter......

    Oh boy, it's "S"hiny, run to it.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Mike,
    This is a topic that interests me, and I'd love to hear some specifics. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to put it up here on the thread. Everyone should care about where their money goes when it leaves your wallet.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Yep, lambs to the "S"laughter......

    Oh boy, it's "S"hiny, run to it.
    Great forum. Even the moderators can't stay on topic. Especially when they sell competing products.

  20. #20
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,939
    Educate yourself is all I'm asking. Not telling, not hating, just asking.

    When a company (regardless of industry) spends more money on bullying the true innovators (via the legal system into giving up their trademarks, patents, dreams, and ultimately businesses) than most of the little guys *combined* see in total income in a year, something is flawed.

  21. #21
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Armyballer View Post
    Very well said...
    I agree.
    I like turtles

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,984
    I hate this bike. I hate the new AWOL too. Blatant copies. Add in the PF30 BB and I'm really annoyed. The only innovation coming from the big S is a new tire. I agree with Mike C, there's some shady stuff going on (ehhh continuing) and a little education would go a long way before throwing thousands at the monster.

    Sadly, as the Mongoose has proven, these new Spec bikes will soon be polluting our beloved forum.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jvm051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    I hate this bike. I hate the new AWOL too. Blatant copies. Add in the PF30 BB and I'm really annoyed. The only innovation coming from the big S is a new tire. I agree with Mike C, there's some shady stuff going on (ehhh continuing) and a little education would go a long way before throwing thousands at the monster.

    Sadly, as the Mongoose has proven, these new Spec bikes will soon be polluting our beloved forum.
    Umm "polluting our beloved forum"! Wow man, Unless you are somehow a stakeholder in ConsumerREVIEW, then I don't see how your 2 cents, or mine for that matter, account for anything. I get this vibe from posters as yourself, that the fatbike, is some type of too cool for the room subculture of mountain biking, that only people who own a Purple Pugsly, or Surly, Salsa whatever should be allowed into. Does it really affect your day that Specialized, or Trek is producing fat bikes, and is going to dilute down your coolness factor the next time you are on the trails...Or did somebody on a Mongoose get more looks from onlookers than you expensive rig. Either way, its kinda sad that there is so much dissent from a "community" of riders, that frowns upon the bigger companies are getting in on it. If it gets more people on bikes, who cares if they are riding a Mongoose, Fatback, 38Frameworks, or a Specialized. I have read about Specialized and their practices, but people should have choices regarding what they buy, and can choose to look into a companies practices if they choose to....or not. Your company has Cannondale listed on the website. Well Cannondale is owned by Dorel, that makes the Mongoose Beast, you dislike, and is sold at Walmart. Walmart is a far bigger threat than Specialized to consumers, yet you sell Cannondale.....Just sayin.


    Now since this is a thread about the newest info, I was told by the LBS that the Ground Control tires would be priced at $89....Yet I was at another shop, and they mentioned that nothing was even in they system yet. Keeping my fingers crossed for the $89 price.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,613
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Mike,
    This is a topic that interests me, and I'd love to hear some specifics. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to put it up here on the thread. Everyone should care about where their money goes when it leaves your wallet.
    Just be aware you could be sued just for reading this info...

    https://www.google.com/search?q=spec...&oe=utf-8&aq=t
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jfrbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    55

    Re: Specialized Fatboy newest info

    I will look when i am at work again, but could not find a part number or price on internal specialized page.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jvm051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrbikes View Post
    I will look when i am at work again, but could not find a part number or price on internal specialized page.
    Thanks, I am hoping they are released soon. I sliced a sidewall on my On One Floater this weekend, so probably just going to order another floater to tide me over, until the Ground Controls come out. I want something a little larger, but am willing to wait to see if they are cheaper than the Surly options.

  27. #27
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,850
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051 View Post
    I get this vibe from posters as yourself, that the fatbike, is some type of too cool for the room subculture of mountain biking, that only people who own a Purple Pugsly, or Surly, Salsa whatever should be allowed into. Does it really affect your day that Specialized, or Trek is producing fat bikes, and is going to dilute down your coolness factor the next time you are on the trails...
    If you look at enough "brand X introduces a fatbike" threads, most don't contain specific concerns, just things like, "I don't like brand X, why didn't brand Y jump in yet?"

    What Specialized (and Trek) bring is a level of corporate nastiness that other big brands have not risen to (yet).

    Forcing long time brand carrying shops to drop them unless they carry them exclusively, and allow said brand to even determine what brand accessories are "acceptable" to their corporate palate. Many shops that carried the brand for years (always paid on time, followed their contracts to the letter), found out that they got dropped, and someone effectively across the street now carries the brand. Simply because they wanted to be an "Independent Bicycle Dealer" and choose the brand mix offered on their floor. Nice discovery with your morning coffee as a business owner huh?

    Specialized sues just about anything that moves, uses the word Stump, or is red. This is a disgusting waste of money and time.

    Specialized, Mountain Cycle disagree on "Stumptown" | BikePortland.org

    Epic Wheel Works will change name due to potential trademark conflict with Specialized | BikePortland.org

    So when you wonder why bikes are getting expensive, and the big boys lead the pack, look at their legal teams, not their Tour De France teams...

    But that's all just business stuff and has nothing to do with the end consumer, or, does it?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    If you look at enough "brand X introduces a fatbike" threads, most don't contain specific concerns, just things like, "I don't like brand X, why didn't brand Y jump in yet?"

    What Specialized (and Trek) bring is a level of corporate nastiness that other big brands have not risen to (yet).

    Forcing long time brand carrying shops to drop them unless they carry them exclusively, and allow said brand to even determine what brand accessories are "acceptable" to their corporate palate. Many shops that carried the brand for years (always paid on time, followed their contracts to the letter), found out that they got dropped, and someone effectively across the street now carries the brand. Simply because they wanted to be an "Independent Bicycle Dealer" and choose the brand mix offered on their floor. Nice discovery with your morning coffee as a business owner huh?

    Specialized sues just about anything that moves, uses the word Stump, or is red. This is a disgusting waste of money and time.

    Specialized, Mountain Cycle disagree on "Stumptown" | BikePortland.org

    Epic Wheel Works will change name due to potential trademark conflict with Specialized | BikePortland.org

    So when you wonder why bikes are getting expensive, and the big boys lead the pack, look at their legal teams, not their Tour De France teams...

    But that's all just business stuff and has nothing to do with the end consumer, or, does it?
    After Mike posted I did a little search. The biggest trouble I have, as with anything of this sort, is that it is hard to determine just which side to believe.

    The Stumptown/Stumpjumper threat, however is an easy one. The term Stumptown, has been applied to Portland Oregon well before Specialized existed. Why would a company think to capitalize off of the name Stumpjumper to help sell their product?

    It seems quite natural for a company from Portland to use the term Stumptown.

    While I do welcome a heads on competition, it will be interesting to see what develops in the future.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Schott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    586

    Specialized Fatboy newest info

    Personally, I think that what I do is a drop in the bucket to these guys. I like my Surly, but QBP is as corporate as anything else. I'm not concerned about being sued. I'm not going to begin to tell a company as large and successful as Specialized that their business practices aren't worth a hoot, I wish mine were as successful. The only thing I care about is that this is a pretty cool looking bike, with a decent build, and golly I want to try those tires. I'm not buying a new fatty this year, but if I were, this one would be at the top of the list.


    "You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: druidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Spock View Post
    Great forum. Even the moderators can't stay on topic. Especially when they sell competing products.
    +1

    Not the behaviour I expect from the moderators of a non-manufacturer-specific forum, especially when they are selling competitive products.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    27
    Well said. I'd like a fatboy. Don't care one bit about big bike politics. Why worry about big bike business when it's the government that needs reform more than the bike industry. A fatboy and a fattie for after the ride is all I want. Specialized has done more good for mountain bikes than bad in my opinion.
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp 29er
    2011 Trek Sawyer 29er
    2000 Bianchi b.u.S.S.
    1999 Trek 930
    1997 Trek 850

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Educate yourself is all I'm asking. Not telling, not hating, just asking.

    When a company (regardless of industry) spends more money on bullying the true innovators (via the legal system into giving up their trademarks, patents, dreams, and ultimately businesses) than most of the little guys *combined* see in total income in a year, something is flawed.
    I am asking too, and I am asking for only three things.

    First, I am asking that you show some minimal respect for the forum by starting a separate thread in this forum entitled "Why You Shouldn't Buy From Specialized" instead of disrespectfully hijacking a legitimate thread about a product launch. I am not opposed to different opinions, but those opinions clearly are not appropriate on this specific thread.

    Second, I am asking that you and the rest of the whiners clearly identify whether or not you directly or indirectly compete with Specialized.

    Third, I am asking that you and the rest of the whiners provide some minimal factual and logical justification for your obvious hatred of Specialized.

    I participate in other non-cycling internet forums, and the members of those forums do not have to make such requests. In those forums, the members understand what thread hijacking is and they respect the forums. Also, the moderators of those forums have the integrity and common sense to know that the forum members will not tolerate moderators that bash competitors if the moderators own businesses that directly or indirectly compete with products from the same competitors the moderators are bashing.

    Apparently, this is too much to expect from MTBR.

  33. #33
    =========
    Reputation: ~gomez~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,866
    I have a theory that when a fat-bike reaches 11.3725 MPH the name on the down-tube becomes reasonably inconsequential or, at least, a whole lot less important. In other words a Trek fat-bike in motion is every bit as funtastic as a Salsa, Specialized, KHS, Surly, etc. while riding in the great outdoors. Thus, the phrase - 'Ride & Smile'.

    How can you argue with a 29 pound symmetrical fat-bike with the girth of a moonlander? - plus the new tire is near the top of my wish list for this winter's fat-bike funskies.

    My only question is how 190mm spaced rear ends will handle size 13 winter boots?

    Big Feet - Big Picture?
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

  34. #34
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,850
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    +1

    Not the behaviour I expect from the moderators of a non-manufacturer-specific forum, especially when they are selling competitive products.
    Oy vey.

    Not a mod on this forum, only in one tiny little sub forum, which, coincidentally, happens to focus on an era of Specialized et al, that I do happen to respect.

    Besides, I'm human, and have opinions, which, just like ya'll, I'm entitled to.

    Never signed a contract when I *volunteered* to be a mod, to obsequiously accept all the garbage that any players in the industry want to toss.

    As for competing products, you may note, I "broke" the KHS fatbike launch, despite not selling the brand, and am more than willing to be stoked when various other brands (or pretty much any smaller company) comes out with something worth getting jazzed about, so I'm hardly just trying to hawk my own stuff and trash talk others.

    Please consider thinking before assuming I'm being some kind of bad actor......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Oy vey.

    Besides, I'm human, and have opinions, which, just like ya'll, I'm entitled to.
    Nobody has claimed you are not entitled to opinions.

    However, your opinions are not appropriate on this thread.

    This thread is for exchanging info on an upcoming product launch. We want to do that in peace without your obnoxious off-topic thread hijacking.

    Why not start a separate thread entitled "Why You Shouldn't Buy From Specialized" in this same forum?

    Or is that too obvious?

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Interesting stuff. I'm no Spesh fanboy (I've never owned one of their bikes, but I do have 2 pairs of their shoes.) I'm also not in the bike industry. But playing devil's advocate, I'll say a few things in their defense. Regarding intellectual property (patents, trademarks, etc.). Once a company enters into the realm of using them, they're more or less forced into enforcing them. If they choose not to enforce them on one occasion, subsequent cases can use that against them, basically by saying "you didn't enforce it against company X, why are you selectively suing us?"

    So, some of the anger should be directed at the ways the laws are written. It's easy to paint a picture of a scenario where the big evil company unfairly squashes the little guy. But it's the responsibility of any company, large or small, to thoroughly research any new product name or patents before bringing the product to market. Most of the time, these issues are resolved quietly with a few letters exchanged between lawyers. For example, Surly went through that with the Black Ops/Necromancer Pugsley names, and nobody on the forum tried to turn it into a cause. Surly seemed to handle it with good humor (Neck Romancer anyone?), but who knows? Maybe things were nastier behind the scenes.

    I've also heard both sides of the Spesh dealer relationship issue. Yeah, it seems heavy handed on the surface, but from Specialized's perspective, loyalty is a 2-way street, and they have a good reputation for a distribution network that is solely focused on the LBS. No internet, no big box stores, etc. I've heard their warranty support is pretty good, too. Probably not my style if I owned a bike shop because I value independence too much.

    Yeah, each person's opinion and purchasing decision is drop in the bucket, but I guarantee that all of the companies involved read these forums. The big guys spend big bucks managing their reputations on the web. So vote with your wallet and speak up, but support your opinions with some facts or at least some thoughtful rationale.

  37. #37
    =========
    Reputation: ~gomez~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Spock View Post
    Nobody has claimed you are not entitled to opinions.

    However, your opinions are not appropriate on this thread.

    This thread is for exchanging info on an upcoming product launch. We want to do that in peace without your obnoxious off-topic thread hijacking.

    Why not start a separate thread entitled "Why You Shouldn't Buy From Specialized" in this same forum?

    Or is that too obvious?
    Do you really think that you can control what other people can post or decide what's appropriate? In a forum? On MTBR?

    Oye Vay
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    Do you really think that you can control what other people can post or decide what's appropriate? In a forum? On MTBR?

    Oye Vay
    Yes, I think it is possible to determine what are on-topic posts and and what are off-topic posts.

    It is possible at every other internet forum where I participate.

    Why is it impossible to determine what are on-topic posts and what are off-topic posts at MTBR?

  39. #39
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Spock View Post
    Nobody has claimed you are not entitled to opinions.

    However, your opinions are not appropriate on this thread.

    This thread is for exchanging info on an upcoming product launch. We want to do that in peace without your obnoxious off-topic thread hijacking.

    Why not start a separate thread entitled "Why You Shouldn't Buy From Specialized" in this same forum?

    Or is that too obvious?
    When folks start bagging on me personally, for having an an opinion and sharing it, I'm not going to just sit by and let it happen. Simple as that.

    Have yours, I'll have mine, I'm not out here bagging on you, for yours, just the brand in question, so unless you work for them, I really fail to see the necessity of defending them, they're big boys after all.

    All this being said, I'm simply supporting another member's feelings on said topic.

    Plenty of OT and sideways threads here, this isn't the first, and won't be the last.

    Enjoy, I'm out.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,984
    In the end, with Spec/Trek getting on board ultimately means more fatbikes on the trail, which we all are hoping for. This isn't an exclusive club. The more fatties on the road/trail also lowers my chances of being stopped and asked questions about it
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    203
    One example, hopefully relevant given lots of fat bikers use frame bags - the big S forcing "Epic Designs" to take the Epic out of their name:

    Epic Design vs Specialized
    David and Goliath?

    No big company is perfect, but alas, S seems to be a fair bit less perfect than most.

  42. #42
    =========
    Reputation: ~gomez~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Spock View Post
    Yes, I think it is possible to determine what are on-topic posts and and what are off-topic posts.

    It is possible at every other internet forum where I participate.

    Why is it impossible to determine what are on-topic posts and what are off-topic posts at MTBR?
    I never said it was impossible. I'm saying that you don't get to decide. The fat-bike community, for the most part gets to determine how a forum is run. You have one voice and 12 posts. You've already started off on the wrong foot by calling people whiners. You have misjudged MendonCycleSmith. I think that all opinions (good or bad) about the company that makes the bike that the thread is about to be germane and therefore not a thread hijack and as long as the discussion remains civil, It's what forums are all about.

    las bicis gordas, para ti,

    g
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    When folks start bagging on me personally, for having an an opinion and sharing it, I'm not going to just sit by and let it happen. Simple as that.

    Have yours, I'll have mine, I'm not out here bagging on you, for yours, just the brand in question, so unless you work for them, I really fail to see the necessity of defending them, they're big boys after all.

    All this being said, I'm simply supporting another member's feelings on said topic.

    Plenty of OT and sideways threads here, this isn't the first, and won't be the last.

    Enjoy, I'm out.
    No, I do not have any affiliation of any kind with Specialized.

    However, I have pre-ordered a Fatboy. This thread interests me, and the thread began in a completely constructive manner with very useful info - until you and your cronies hijacked the thread.

    I am new to fatbikes. The early info on this thread was useful to me and other novices. Now, that useful info has been interrupted and probably terminated.

    I do not appreciate that you and your cronies - most of whom seem to compete directly or indirectly with Specialized - destroyed what would have been a useful thread.

    I also do not appreciate being called ignorant or referred to as a sheep (or a lamb or whatever). If you don't want to be "bagged" on, then you and your cronies should stop "bagging" on others.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,984
    Hey Kettle...oh Hi Pot!

    Since Spec/QBP had a falling out about tires, I wonder what tubes will be used in the Fatboy. Would be nice to have another option there as well.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    63
    Trying to push the this thread back onto the orginal topic here. Have we heard about final weights for the Fatboy yet? Anyone who has already pre-ordered, have you thought of what you would want changed?

    Personally I'm thinking I want to switch the shifters, however I'll wait till I ride with them to make up my mind.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: buckfiddious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    893
    Dear f**king god.

    It's nothing more than another f**king bike. That's it.

    I'm serious when I say I've never seen a group of cyclists as utterly obsessed with authenticity as the fatbike "Community". No one makes bikes out of the goodness of their hearts. They are consumer products, sold for profit. Doesn't matter how long the beards are on the website or how edgy their website is, they are selling consumer products.

    And before y'all get all "but Specialized is evil because..." STFU. Seriously. The enormous parts distributor QBP ripped off tons of designs, but since they had a bunch of cash, they could capitalize on those designs in ways that Fatback, Snowcat and all the others could not. And then, they packaged these products in meat-flavored hipster friendly websites.

    And they made enough noise that the even bigger boys, Specialized and Trek and Kona and whoever else, companies that have even more money, have taken notice and decided to rip off QBP. Tough. THat's how it works.

    And for everyone who says that QBP would never force a dealer to choose between them and another manufacturer, that's just because at this point, they can't. They aren't big enough, they don't sell enough bikes. QBP currently has the luxury of looking like they have integrity, man. But when they get big enough, they will do the same thing. Because destroying your competition is at the heart of business.

    Suck it up, cherish your rare purple first gen pugsley and maybe if we're lucky, more people will start riding fatbikes, and that's kind of the point, init?

  47. #47
    =========
    Reputation: ~gomez~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Spock View Post
    No, I do not have any affiliation of any kind with Specialized.

    However, I have pre-ordered a Fatboy. This thread interests me, and the thread began in a completely constructive manner with very useful info - until you and your cronies hijacked the thread.

    I am new to fatbikes. The early info on this thread was useful to me and other novices. Now, that useful info has been interrupted and probably terminated.

    I do not appreciate that you and your cronies - most of whom seem to compete directly or indirectly with Specialized - destroyed what would have been a useful thread.

    I also do not appreciate being called ignorant or referred to as a sheep (or a lamb or whatever). If you don't want to be "bagged" on, then you and your cronies should stop "bagging" on others.
    You can't just lie your way out of being wrong. Nothing has been terminated and nothing has been destroyed. I have no competition with Specialized and I am not a cronie of anyone or anything related to this thread. If you want to operate in a pro-specialized forum bubble, start your own forum and only allow people with your viewpoint. Till then, get used to people taking up opposing view points and making their case, while operating within the forum guidelines. That means no name calling or insults.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    You can't just lie your way out of being wrong. Nothing has been terminated and nothing has been destroyed. I have no competition with Specialized and I am not a cronie of anyone or anything related to this thread. If you want to operate in a pro-specialized forum bubble, start your own forum and only allow people with your viewpoint. Till then, get used to people taking up opposing view points and making their case, while operating within the forum guidelines. That means no name calling or insults.
    You seem confused. My comments were not directed at you.

    Furthermore, I haven't lied. And I don't appreciate the accusation.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,579
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I'd like to see people stop obsessing over the bottom line, and start paying heed to the abominable, inexcusable business practices that Specialized uses to maintain market share.

    I understand that business is business. I also understand that many people are making their bike buying decisions based on very, very tight financial considerations. It follows that many are willing to ignore (or are simply ignorant of) Specialized's ability to royally screw little guys the world over when making their bike buying purchases.

    I ask that all whom are considering *any* bike purchase the next few years give a *lot* more thought to where that money will ultimately end up.
    Mike I understand your passion but in the age of Apple, you really think people give a ****?
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jfrbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    55

    Re: Specialized Fatboy newest info

    I honestly doubt there are weights out yet. When i was talking to inside reps, zero have shipped beside the prototypes that were not speced the same as what specialized offers as complete.

    We placed a full size run order in pre season. Should have soon

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Specialized Fatboy
    By fc in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 700
    Last Post: 6 Days Ago, 09:38 AM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-09-2013, 03:17 PM
  3. Specialized Fatboy
    By fc in forum Specialized
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2013, 04:17 PM
  4. Specialized Tandem Info
    By DirtSS in forum Tandem Mountain Bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-19-2013, 04:13 PM
  5. Newest Jet 9 RDO build info
    By herothedog in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •