Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    I guess at my weight I'd feel more secure with dual crown. I'm 98kg (216lb)...the Bluto does look great though...and all you guys are raving about it! Hmmm...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Specialized Fatboy Accessories

So far

Gravity light bars to avoid brake lever bump on frame

Race face 30t narrow wide and removed front derailleur and shifter

ThudBuster because I like it

And Vee8 for summer tires with Q tubes lighter 2.8 x 26".

Next I'm dreaming of the bluto, but maybe next year since that means new front hub too.

After that maybe extra set of 29+ wheels for summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hans2vt View Post

Next I'm dreaming of the bluto, but maybe next year since that means new front hub too.

How do you like the Vee8 rubber? I am looking for a faster summer tire. I am currently using Vee Rubber's Mission. I don't like it at all. Too much "ghost steering". I like your bars. Picture seems to show a good color match to the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi thumpermeister

Vee8 is definately faster rolling than ground control and less noise. Sometimes I ride on the road with kids and didn't want to wear GC out. It has a ton of ghost steering when aired down to 6-8 which is what I ride in the woods in summer. I get used to it though. Sorta like power steering, it flops in the direction you lean. Sometimes on cross slopes it pulls too. The wider handlebars help me keep things under control and it doesn't bother me now. You can get used to it. I did a 2.5 hour woods ride yesterday on flow single track. Was fine.

What don't you like about missions?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi thumpermeister

What don't you like about missions?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk
    Hi hans2vt:

The missions are an excellent tire except for the ghost steering. I too run between 5-7 psi in the summer. I set them up ghetto tubeless in one attempt and they have held air ever since. Tread is reasonably fast with excellent all around traction for summer use. I pretty much like everything about this tire except for the ghosting. There have been a few situations on very tight single track where the rubber decided to take me off the trail and into the brush - such tight single track that I had no time too adjust/respond.

I am curious to know if 45North's Husker Du have any of these ghost steering (over steering) issues. I had several rides on the Ground Controls and did not run into any issues down as low as 4 psi (I am saving the Ground Controls for winter riding). From what I have read it seems that it is VeeRubber tires in general that are only running into these problems.

But for now I will keep riding them until I find a suitable replacement - hopefully the Husker Du.

Thanks for you response hans2vt.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So far

looks great.....which crankset are you running? I have never upgraded a crankset before but I am thinking of switching my Epic S works over to a XX1 and was wondering if the XX crankset on my epic would work on the Fatboy.

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    looks great.....which crankset are you running? I have never upgraded a crankset before but I am thinking of switching my Epic S works over to a XX1 and was wondering if the XX crankset on my epic would work on the Fatboy.
    Not likely, the BB width on a fat bike is 100mm, most regular mountain bikes are 73mm.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    FWIW. It has been my experience that most tires wander/ over-steer/ bite/ self-steer/ ghost-steer below 6psi on dirt. I've had Husker Du's down in that area and the front end was downright scary sometimes. Ultimately, it's part of why I got a Bluto- I couldn't run the tires low enough to take the edge off on fast, chunky trails without seriously compromising the stability and handling. Weight, speed and terrain are also big factors when we're talking psi on fat bikes. I'm about 170 all kitted up with camel bak, etc.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So far

which crankset are you running?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I believe that's the stock crankset. My question is, did you need any spacers or special bolts to put that raceface ring on or does it bolt directly on with stock bolts? I Need to know what to buy because I plan on doing the same thing. Thanks, and thank to others who have posted Info on fatboys it's been very helpful learning what I need to do to modify my FB properly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I don't know where else to put this so ... DO NOT use the regular Saris Freedom rack to transport your Fatboy. Sure the fat wheel trays fit the tires very well but the thing that holds the downtube is shaped all wrong for this bike and WILL leave deep dents in the tube. It only contacts two small points and as the bike shakes it WILL damage the frame. I tried several different ways of protecting the bike to no avail.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I don't know where else to put this so ... DO NOT use the regular Saris Freedom rack to transport your Fatboy. Sure the fat wheel trays fit the tires very well but the thing that holds the downtube is shaped all wrong for this bike and WILL leave deep dents in the tube. It only contacts two small points and as the bike shakes it WILL damage the frame. I tried several different ways of protecting the bike to no avail.
    Thanks....The Yakima Front loader will hold the Fat boy....but I run a ratchet strap from each side of the hub down to the cross bar, and a bungee across the rear tire to the holder....has worked good so far for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: Specialized Fatboy Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    which crankset are you running?
    Stock crank set

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: Specialized Fatboy Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgt View Post
    I believe that's the stock crankset. My question is, did you need any spacers or special bolts to put that raceface ring on or does it bolt directly on with stock bolts? I Need to know what to buy because I plan on doing the same thing. Thanks, and thank to others who have posted Info on fatboys it's been very helpful learning what I need to do to modify my FB properly.
    The 30t race face narrow wide ring has built in spacers and actually is threaded for your chainring bolt to thread into it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the reply. I also ordered the thud buster. Getting old with a bad back. Reviews are really good on that thing! Would have never thought of it if it wasn't for you pic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Any ideas if this bashguard will work with the Expert? It didn't look like it would hit the front derailleur. Would I need longer bolts?

e*thirteen Turbocharger Bash Guard 40T Black

I read a old review on singletracks that said to get the higher teeth size (40T). Does this make sense? The expert has 36T.

e*thirteen Turbocharger Review | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

Loser
    I put a 34T BBG bashguard on my Expert. It fits on the crank with longer chainring bolts, but it interferes with the front derailleur. Its only a couple of mm too big. My brother is a machinist so I could get it turned down (and I might still do that), but I just took the front derailleur off for now. I can easily shift it to granny using my toe while riding. When I want to go back to the big ring I have to stop and move it over with my hand. There's enough range on the granny that it hasn't been a problem. With all the rocks around here I felt I needed to protect the chain and chainring during the summer months - the bashguard is already missing a significant amount of paint in one spot, so it was a good investment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hmm, I really think I need the front derailleur. How thick is the BBG bashguard? Maybe I can find one that is thinner that wont hit. Thx

Loser
    The problem isn't the thickness, is the diameter. I think the BBG could be turned down so you could use the derailleur, its only a few millimeters too big. You may be able to grind a little bit of the derailleur off too.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayisbikes View Post
    my fatboy mods so far are-

ghetto tubeless (tried it with tape a few times but no luck)
    xt brakes
    thomson stem
    wider bars
    xtr spd's
    BEER components PF30EBB (using longer 100mm bolts)- ditched all the gears in favor of some nice shiny surly cogs

next mod is making a custom hirth coupling extender so I can run 180mm specialized sworks cranks on the 100mm wide bb
    which thompson stem did you go with?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4