Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Loser
    Just go tubeless! It worked so easily, definitely worth it.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    May 2014
    my fatboy mods so far are-

ghetto tubeless (tried it with tape a few times but no luck)
    xt brakes
    thomson stem
    wider bars
    xtr spd's
    BEER components PF30EBB (using longer 100mm bolts)- ditched all the gears in favor of some nice shiny surly cogs

next mod is making a custom hirth coupling extender so I can run 180mm specialized sworks cranks on the 100mm wide bb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy Accessories-beer-ebb1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayisbikes View Post

ghetto tubeless (tried it with tape a few times but no luck) ......
    I too went Ghetto tubeless. Q-Tube makes a 24" tube with a 32 mm presta valve stem. So you don't need to drill out your new rim. I purchased the 24 x 2.4-2.75 size which was perfect for the specialized 90 mm rim. It had about 1/2 inch on each side of excess to trim off.

For those that have never done a ghetto tubeless conversion check out this video. And spend the time sloshing the sealant to seal the side walls - very important:

How To Set Up Ghetto Tubeless On A Fat Bike Tire on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Sorry - I did not mean too turn this into a tubeless conversion thread, however my goal was to let people know that 24" tubes with presta valves exist - accessory item. I sure would hate to see someone take a new rim and drill it out

As for some help - I would very much like to swap out my bar with a 20 mm riser bar. I would like to have the bar all yellow matching the paint scheme on the Comp frame. Anyone have any make model that comes close. I have looked at the Chromag "yellow ano" and it's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    next mod is making a custom hirth coupling extender so I can run 180mm specialized sworks cranks on the 100mm wide bb
    Wow you must have $$ to burn or you never ride anywhere other than the beach. I've never smacked my crankarms and pedals on rocks and such as often as I do on this bike before. I've been riding a long time and for a bike that's only a few months old those parts look like they've been around for years.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    @gravitylover, I haven't had any issues with hitting cranks and I definitely ride rocky/techy trails. I guess after riding singlespeed with 180mm cranks I'm used to timing my pedal strokes. I agree the s works cranks are pricey but they are so nice :-)

mtbr member
    BEER components PF30EBB (using longer 100mm bolts
    Awesome! I want to do this too. Where did you get the longer bolts from and what was the exact size of the bolts?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mods so far. Added a Topeak seatpost mount rack. I don't really need anything more sturdy, as I'll never be doing anything more than day trips anyway.
    I had to add a coupls spacers to spread the side...um...thingies wide enough to clear the tire.
    Specialized Fatboy Accessories-fatty.jpg
    Other upgrades include lighter tubes, Echo riser bars, FSA stem (what' s with the nub stems that come stock?) and yellow duct tape in the wheels.

My rear shifter has been acting up and will be replaced with an XO next week.

Loser
    I have had a couple of dirt rides on the Fatboy with the front derailleur removed and the BBG bashguard. Over the course of 3 or 4 rides the chain has dropped from the big to the granny twice. I've "downshifted" using my foot a few times with no issue. I guess I'll leave it like this for the short term and look to get this bashguard diameter reduced a bit so I can put the derailleur back on for winter. The downshifts are not that big of a deal, I can get into a small gear out back until I get to a spot where I can push the chain back over, not ideal, but no big issue either.

Its an awesome ride in the dirt, having a blast with it.

mtbr member
    Hi, new guy here with a large framed specialized fatboy, I've been looking for racks that mount an integral bag, had one on my specialized hardrock rack, but cant find anything for the fatboy's. Any input is appreciated.
    Cheers,
    FGO

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: Specialized Fatboy Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by thumpermeister View Post

As for some help - I would very much like to swap out my bar with a 20 mm riser bar. I would like to have the bar all yellow matching the paint scheme on the Comp frame. Anyone have any make model that comes close. I have looked at the Chromag "yellow ano" and it's pretty close.
    I just got a FSA GRAVITY LIGHT but its yellow doesn't match too well. Its more neon yellow vs mustard like the trim. I think I'll just deal with it.

Did you get one that matches well?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just finished a bunch of work on my Fatboy. Made it 1x10 with a raceface 30t upfront and a Wolftooth 42t in the rear. I added a Command Post and modded the left side grip shift to operate it. Also installed a 60mm stem (large frame came with 75) and some 720mm Carbon enduro bars. Next up are SLX brakes and lighter tubes!

Im hoping to get it under 30lbs when done.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Anybody know if a bluto will mount to a FATBOY? If so what size? Thanks in advance.

Loser
    Its been covered a few times - a Bluto will fit without any downtube/fork knob interference. Specialized recommends (pretty strongly) the 80mm version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Its been covered a few times - a Bluto will fit without any downtube/fork knob interference. Specialized recommends (pretty strongly) the 80mm version.
    Thank you so much. Its for a buddy of mine who wants to order a fatboy in a small, but would like a bluto down the line.

mtbr member
    Putting a 100 on mine- just have to lace up the wheel this week.

FatBoy with Bluto?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Specialized Fatboy Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    What about front hub ? Need to be replaced or are there adapters to match 150 mm ? Thks

Loser
    New front hub required: Specialized Bicycle Components

Note: 135mm hub.

mtbr member

I'm so confused. What does the 80mm refer to? Is it the width, and does that mean you have to run a thinner tire up front? Sorry about the dumb question.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post
    I'm so confused. What does the 80mm refer to? Is it the width, and does that mean you have to run a thinner tire up front? Sorry about the dumb question.
    The amount of shock travel. it comes in 80, 100 and 120mm of travel.

mtbr member
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    The amount of shock travel. it comes in 80, 100 and 120mm of travel.
    Ah...gotcha thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hans2vt View Post
    I just got a FSA GRAVITY LIGHT but its yellow doesn't match too well. Its more neon yellow vs mustard like the trim. I think I'll just deal with it.

Did you get one that matches well?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Nothing yet. I am being a bit picky and want to make sure the yellows match.

mtbr member
    One month in on my FB Downunder and no complaints whatsoever - but am thinking of planning some flightpaths. Anyone got any clues as to whether anyone on Earth is producing a dual crown fork that'll fit a Fatboy? 120mm travel? (I'd take 100...) I really want to start getting air time on my new FB and would like the softer landings front suspension would provide.
    Thanks in advance!

Specialized Fatboy Accessories-fatboy-1-stp.jpg

mtbr member

Why dual crown? Why not a bluto? Put a 100 on mine and it's awesome. Planning on extending it to 120...

There are two types of mountain bikers. Those who are faster than me, and me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast