Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Also NogginBuster:

I notice your Fatboy has Dillinger studded tires. Did you not like the Spec Ground Controls for winter riding? I suspect the studded tires must have some crazy grip on ice.

Nice job on the rim strips- great colour match.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I tried the Old Man Mountain Phat Sherpa It looks snug but there is no point on the rack that is closer to the tire than the frame and the front derailleur get. The only issues I had is that the wheel isnt quite centered so the left extender got closer to the tire than I was comfortable with. I ended up using a small spacer with a longer bolt on that side. I am happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy Accessories-img_1339.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy Accessories-img_1332.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy Accessories-img_1315.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Scubaklook:

I like the rim strips. What width are they? I like your handle bars as well. I must say I have never seen a bar setup like that before . Your ride looks good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I used the rainbow "duck tape". I am not sure what the actual width is I think it was the 1.88in. The bars are the Jones Loop bars. I didnt like them on my other bike but they seem to be a good match for the Fatboy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubaklook View Post
    I tried the Old Man Mountain Phat Sherpa It looks snug but there is no point on the rack that is closer to the tire than the frame and the front derailleur get. The only issues I had is that the wheel isnt quite centered so the left extender got closer to the tire than I was comfortable with. I ended up using a small spacer with a longer bolt on that side. I am happy with it.
    What I went with on my Pugsley. It is a stout rack. The very next day after I received the rack and mounted it I rode to meet up with a couple friends for a ride. Unfortunately on the way to the meeting place I hit a large patch of black ice over fairly new asphalt parking lot and wiped out. The entrance was covered in ice that wasn't visible and it was sloped downward. I braked to slow my speed .. not even 50 feet to where we meet up and my bike suddenly flew from underneath me. The rack saved it from any damage which was apparent from the long, deep scrape on the rack. I didn't fare as well .. healing from a fractured pelvis. That happened five weeks ago and I can't wait till I can get back on. Did I say that I highly recommend the OMM Phatt Rack? Oh yeah .. it serves more than one purpose than hauling stuff. It can prevent your derailleur and frame from taking a bad hit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thumpermeister View Post

I notice your Fatboy has Dillinger studded tires. Did you not like the Spec Ground Controls for winter riding? I suspect the studded tires must have some crazy grip on ice.
    Can't really comment much on the Ground Controls, only a few spins around the yard. We've had plenty of snow and ice and snow and ice and on and on... Put the Dillingers on just because of the ice factor. No complaints on the Dillingers so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anybody know what that font is they use for the Fatboy moniker on the frame? I'd love to make my own car decal with that font

mtbr member

Specialized Fatboy Accessories

Fantastic setup! Did you have to modify the mounting hardware at all, specifically the bar that connects to the top of the seat stay? (Ie. bend them over).

Also what type of grips are those? Do any aftermarket grips work with the twist shift? Apologies for the dumb questions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I had to bend them a little. I think I would have been better off using spacers on both sides instead of just the left since I ended up taking a chunk paint off the frame when I was figuring out how much they needed to bend or if I was going to have to twist them. But that also could have been avoided if I had planned ahead.

The grips are ESI chunky. They line up really well with the twist shifters. I did have to cut them shorter since they only come in full length but they are easy to cut and I like being able to choose how long I wanted them.

mtbr member
    I had to bend them a little. I think I would have been better off using spacers on both sides instead of just the left since I ended up taking a chunk paint off the frame when I was figuring out how much they needed to bend or if I was going to have to twist them. But that also could have been avoided if I had planned ahead.

The grips are ESI chunky. They line up really well with the twist shifters. I did have to cut them shorter since they only come in full length but they are easy to cut and I like being able to choose how long I wanted them.
    Exactly the information I needed to know. Thank you very much, you have a beautiful bike!

mtbr member

Anyone else care to show what they have done to their Fatboy? I've gotten some great ideas browsing through some of the threads, but would be interested in seeing some more...even if it's homemade (sometimes those are the best).

For those running a top tube bag (aka tank bag) which ones fit best? I've noticed that most have a velcro attachment that is quite high, and the stem is quite low on the bike. Also on the medium and small frames, the top tube and down tube converge and may prevent velcro attachment underneath (towards the front).

Loser
    Has anyone put a bashguard on a Fatboy? I hit my ring on a rock during the last ride and it made me cringe thinking of summer riding.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Has anyone put a bashguard on a Fatboy? I hit my ring on a rock during the last ride and it made me cringe thinking of summer riding.
    I don't think you can (I could be wrong). I was looking at the MRP products and the fatboy does not have the brackets to enable one to mount it.

mtbr member

20mm Riser Bars and tubes

I felt the need to replace the handlebar only because the brake levers hit the top tube. I plan on falling frequently next winter and I didn't want to dent the top tube. I now see that Lu-Max has the 40mm riser bar. I am sort of wishing I would have got that instead.
    2013 Easton EC70 20mm = 150g (lost photo)
    Specialized Fatboy Accessories-easton-ec70-20mm.jpg

It clears now, Barely.
    Specialized Fatboy Accessories-top-tube-clr.jpg

Stock Fatboy handlebar = 280g
    Specialized Fatboy Accessories-fatboy-handlebar.jpg

Stock tube = 530g
    Specialized Fatboy Accessories-fatboy-tube-1.jpg
    Stock tube = 520g
    Specialized Fatboy Accessories-fatboy-tube-2.jpg

New 26 x 2.3/3.0 tube = 280g (i only weighed one)
    Specialized Fatboy Accessories-new-tubes.jpg

Useless stuff that will just fall off on the trail anyway = 150g
    Specialized Fatboy Accessories-reflectors.jpg

Handlebar 280-150=130g
    Tubes 1050-560=490g
    Reflectors =150g
    I don't know how much my bike weighs, but I know it weighs 770g (1.7lbs) less than it did before.

I will also use Shimano PD-M780 XT Race Pedals for all but Icy conditions.
    they are advertised 343g.
    The Bennies are advertised at 430g.

mtbr member

Huh..the only reflectors that came with my bike were on the pedals (which I also took off). I didn't have all that other stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have a large Fatboy frame and I am curious to see if anyone has fit the Large IBERA frame bag on it. I would think from NogginBuster's post that a large bag should have no problems fitting nicely within the triangle of a large Fatboy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If anything it's probably a bit small for a large frame.

It's a better fit in my large Superfly frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Lewy - thanks for the reply. Definitely a bit on the smaller side. Funny, I didn't think the triangle on the large size FatBoy looked that big. Nice pics as well.

mtbr member

Got the OMM Phat rack where I wanted it to be. I believe OMM may be updating their "Fatboy" package. What you see mounted below is longer lower brackets, and slightly longer support arms to accommodate the added height. With this setup, it allows the mounting of a mud shovel underneath.

Specialized Fatboy Accessories-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399911173.031820.jpg

Loser
    Good news and bad news on the BBG bashguard. I ordered the 34T version of this one:

It fits perfectly on the crank with some longer bolts.

The bad news is it doesn't clear the front derailleur. It misses by a very small (maybe 1/16"), I need to find my dremel and take care of it, the amount to take off wouldn't hurt anything (in my non-professional opinion). I might just take the front derailleur off for summer. The guard is slightly oversized, so I guess another option would be to take 1/8" in diameter off, but I don't have the facilities to do that.

mtbr member
    Specialized Fatboy Accessories-img_6329.jpg

Command Post Dropper. Tubeless conversion using Leading Edge Tape. XT Cassette. Crank Bros Egg Beaters. 29.5lbs. Deore brakes and carbon risers on the way.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Loser
    I ended up taking off my front derailleur but I kept the 2x up front. I will rarely use the granny for summer time rides. I'll put the derailleur back on for the winter. I did a manual shift down to granny last night using my shoe and it worked fine (of course coming back up to the middle ring has to be done by hand).

I probably took a half pound off the bike by removing the derailleur, the gripshift and replacing the aluminum bars with carbon bars. I didn't notice the weight difference at all, but its there. I'll have to weigh it and see where I'm at, I suspect I'm flirting with 29lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Upgraded to XT brakes - awesome

Converted to 1x10 with an e-thirteen direct mount narrow wide chainring and a 42t cog - feels exactly like my xx1 bike.

Carbon low rise handlebar

Running tubeless.

Bike is awesome and tons of fun.

Loser
    I upgraded my Niner to XT brakes because the brakes on the Fatboy were so much better than the Elixirs on my Niner. Now the XTs on my Niner make the Fatboy brakes feel weak. Those XTs are amazing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Upgraded to Easton vice riser bar, Wellgo pedals, WTB seat, shimano chain (broke the stock chain) and a small frame bag. Very happy. Thinking about going to the shop and getting the lighter tubes, Probably worth it? I love this bike. I have a giant trance 29er and a new Fuji Altamira carbon road bike and all I ever ride is the fat boy! So much fun!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast