Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 712
  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alshead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,580
    I think someone was looking for a ride report on the bluto on the fatboy?

    FatBoy with Bluto?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackdz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    lol to funny....I have my s works epic 29er sitting also as I am really enjoying this fat boy....only thing I miss about the epic is the 10lb weight shed. I need to drop some lbs.....how did you do the tubeless setup on your fatboy? I would like to try that but I am not seeing a robust setup yet(atleast from what I have heard). What is the weight of your setup now?
    My tubeless setup is gorilla tape and Stans. I got the rear to seal the first try, needed to do the front 3 times to get it to seal. I'm happy to report it is totally sealed and I am rocking this thing hard on the dirt with no issues at 6-7 psi.

  3. #203
    Last, not lost.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    210
    I'm tossing this here, we've got a bunch of threads on the FB going.

    I picked the comp model for a reason, I wanted to bolt the parts onto it that I wanted, and then parts bin the rest for my kids bikes. I also really wanted the green.

    These brakes suck. Tektro Gemini. There's squat for adjustment other than reach, and the reach isn't even true reach. It's just moving the travel further from or closer to you. My front is great, the rear is horrible. I'm ripping them off today and tossing on my trusty BB7's.

    I also hated the gripshift, but that's a personal thing. Triggers were on within 3 rides.

    But otherwise, this thing is fun. Lots more than I expected.

  4. #204
    mtbr member
    Reputation: turkish_sp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    230
    Does anybody know the weight of the seatpost?
    Tommy:It's for protection.
    Turkish:Protection from what . . . zee Germans?
    veintinuevepulgadas

  5. #205
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,216
    The one on my large is just under 400g uncut. It is REALLY long too. I'm 5'10 and all the way lowered it still stuck up so much I could barely reach the pedals. It was command post climb height!

    The Command post is about 540g, so it wasnt a big weight gain to add a dropper! If you go the other route and install a carbon post you can shave a ton of weight off the bike.
    14 Aurum, 15 P.3, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

  6. #206
    mtbr member
    Reputation: turkish_sp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    The one on my large is just under 400g uncut. It is REALLY long too. I'm 5'10 and all the way lowered it still stuck up so much I could barely reach the pedals. It was command post climb height!

    The Command post is about 540g, so it wasnt a big weight gain to add a dropper! If you go the other route and install a carbon post you can shave a ton of weight off the bike.
    Ooops, heavy as a tank. Definitely I'll go for a carbon handlebar and seatpost. When the bike arrives (I've been told that I'll get it in September) I'm going to put it on a diet: Enve bars and stem, R1 brakes, XT cassette, XTR derailleur and shifters, Romin Evo saddle...
    Tommy:It's for protection.
    Turkish:Protection from what . . . zee Germans?
    veintinuevepulgadas

  7. #207
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,132
    I've had my Fatboy Expert for a few weeks now and been loving it. The grip from the Ground Controls is amazing and the bike feels soooo light and flickable, yet drives over obstacles like a monster truck. It is an absolute hoot to ride, can't wait to try it in the snow.


  8. #208
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    117
    Hello,I currently ride a Muk2 in large size,and am thinking about buying a Fatboy Expert to replace it...Just have a few questions for those that own one...I'm 5'10, should I stick with a Large,or go medium? How is the gloss black paint holding up? Is the front derailuer cable prone to getting snagged when riding through thick brush? And lastly, will I get used to the grip shift(never owned a bike with it?? Tia for any replies....

  9. #209
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,132
    I'm 6'2" with a 34" in seam and the large fits me well with a longer raised stem. The XL was a better fit in top tube length, but gave me very little clearance in top tube height. I wanted whatever clearance I could get for snow riding.

    I put black factory Effex vinyl over the wear areas of the bike (top tube, chain stays, fork tubes) and that should do a good job in preventing scratches based on my motorcycle experience.

    I haven't had any issues with the front derailleur cable, your leg protects it when riding.

    As for the grip shift, either you will learn to like it or swap it out. After using it a bit, I prefer it to the triggers as it doesn't hit the edge of your thumb when riding like they do, and you don't have to loosen or change grip to shift.

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,216
    I'm 5'10 with a 31" in seam and I went large. The Medium felt too compact. The only issue I have is after installing a 120mm Bluto the Toptube is really close to the "boys". If I was to do it again I'd get a medium for the extra top tube clearance. If your stayign with the stock fork the large is ok.

    When I got my Fatboy my first thought was "the grip shift has to go!" but after a couple rides I really enjoyed it. When I installed Shimano brakes I couldnt reach the level without sliding my hands in, which would cause me to shift on accident. I switched to a trigger shifter, but i find I do miss the grip shift a little.
    14 Aurum, 15 P.3, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

  11. #211
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I'm 5'10 with a 31" in seam and I went large. The Medium felt too compact. The only issue I have is after installing a 120mm Bluto the Toptube is really close to the "boys". If I was to do it again I'd get a medium for the extra top tube clearance. If your stayign with the stock fork the large is ok.

    When I got my Fatboy my first thought was "the grip shift has to go!" but after a couple rides I really enjoyed it. When I installed Shimano brakes I couldnt reach the level without sliding my hands in, which would cause me to shift on accident. I switched to a trigger shifter, but i find I do miss the grip shift a little.
    Thanks for the replies guys…Just spent more than an hour tooling around on a large expert, and a medium standard…while I love the orange colors of the standard(the black and red ain't so bad either, and just so happens to match my roubaix color scheme), the shifting, braking, and feel of the expert just felt so much smoother to me…Coming from a large Mukluk 2, I kinda like the extra room for the longer rides, so The large is definitely the Fatboy for me! I ended up getting $300.00 off (dealer promo), and put a little more than half down as a deposit…Now I feel like an 8 year old on Christmas eve…Can't wait to get the bike…it's looking like another paycheck or 2 (unless I can sell the Muk before than) before I can get it…for now it's in the dealers basement with my name on it….

  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesnhere View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys…Just spent more than an hour tooling around on a large expert, and a medium standard…while I love the orange colors of the standard(the black and red ain't so bad either, and just so happens to match my roubaix color scheme), the shifting, braking, and feel of the expert just felt so much smoother to me…Coming from a large Mukluk 2, I kinda like the extra room for the longer rides, so The large is definitely the Fatboy for me! I ended up getting $300.00 off (dealer promo), and put a little more than half down as a deposit…Now I feel like an 8 year old on Christmas eve…Can't wait to get the bike…it's looking like another paycheck or 2 (unless I can sell the Muk before than) before I can get it…for now it's in the dealers basement with my name on it….
    Congrats! The price difference between the expert and standard is fairly significant, but after riding both a bunch I came to a similar conclusion. I also really liked the grippy pedals on the expert although I found out they grip your leg pretty well if you aren't careful

  13. #213
    Last, not lost.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    210

    Specialized Fatboy



    Here she is in the wild.
    XL comp with a few changes so far. Weighing in at 30.66 lbs as pictured.

    1x10 with a SRAM 1050 cassette.
    32T wolf tooth on the front.
    X7 trigger shifter.
    Tubeless with the Pegasus tape- flawless.
    Thomson seat post, Pure V seat.
    BB7 with SD levers, HS1 rotors, Jagwire housing.
    Easton EA70 low rise bar.
    Ergon Biokork grips.
    YAWYD head cap.

    Love it.

  14. #214
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    Does anyone know the real weights of the stock bikes? Is that info already in this thread? I picked up a Fatboy today and it had to be 35+ pounds?

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tincup69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    492
    I think my large comp was closer to 30lbs, don't have an exact number sorry.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2015 GT Grade 105

  16. #216
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,216
    On a park tools scale my stock large comp was 32 lbs.
    I went carbon bars, 1x10 and dropped some weight but added a command post and Bluto and it is 33 lbs now. I will go tuneless soon and that should get it back done closer to 30.

    My Stumpjumper Evo is a little under 26 lbs so I'm use to a light bike but I have no issues with the Fatboy feeling like a pig or anything.
    14 Aurum, 15 P.3, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

  17. #217
    Last, not lost.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    210
    Stock at home for my XL was 33.12 lbs. That's tubes and all the bits, including the stock pedals.

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    Thanks guys.

  19. #219
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    117
    Muk Sold, Picking up My Expert Tomorrow Afternoon!!! No sleeping tonight!!! Can't wait!

  20. #220
    Last, not lost.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    210
    Crap. Sounds like my rear hub has got gravel in it. Anyone able to pull it apart and lube it up? Gotta race this weekend and I'm riding fat, grind or not.

  21. #221
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    132
    Have you read the posts by some guys on here with broken axles in the rear hub? Seems to be becoming more common on the Fatboys.

  22. #222
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    34

    Specialized Fatboy

    Known issue for 2014 model year. For 2015 they changed to steel in place of aluminum. Mine replaced under warranty.

  23. #223
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackdz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by one4teen View Post
    Crap. Sounds like my rear hub has got gravel in it. Anyone able to pull it apart and lube it up? Gotta race this weekend and I'm riding fat, grind or not.
    I've pulled mine apart and replace the bearing with Enduro bearing. They are a standard 6001 bearing, most shops stock these. The OD is 28mm, ID 12mm and thickness is 8mm.
    Last edited by jackdz; 09-24-2014 at 04:19 AM. Reason: wrong bearing quoted

  24. #224
    Last, not lost.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    210
    Thanks Jack, I'll get on it. Any dissassembly advice? I'll take whatever you've got.

  25. #225
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackdz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    80
    You'll need an 18mm cone wrench, 4mm allen wrench. From the drive side, use the cone wrench on the cone (duh?) and insert the allen into the end of the axle. That will let you loosen the cone. Loosen the other side with the cone wrench, you'll need to leave the allen in the drive side. Pull the driver (splined hub) off and there is a bearing there. I used a socket with a 10 inch extension to drive out the opposite side. It's pretty easy. Mine were really bad, but I raced in extremely wet conditions.

  26. #226
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdz View Post
    You'll need an 18mm cone wrench, 4mm allen wrench. From the drive side, use the cone wrench on the cone (duh?) and insert the allen into the end of the axle. That will let you loosen the cone. Loosen the other side with the cone wrench, you'll need to leave the allen in the drive side. Pull the driver (splined hub) off and there is a bearing there. I used a socket with a 10 inch extension to drive out the opposite side. It's pretty easy. Mine were really bad, but I raced in extremely wet conditions.
    i thought the problem is the axles on these fatboys.. not the bearing

  27. #227
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    132
    This is excellent info here. Thanks for posting all of it from the 2015's being improved to how to replace the bearing.

    I gotta say I feel inferior to you guys because I have not worn anything out yet....

  28. #228
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackdz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    i thought the problem is the axles on these fatboys.. not the bearing
    I have a Fatboy Expert…have had it since last December and have 25+ races and many training rides. I have had zero issues with the axle. My bike is heavily upgraded and I probably should have started with the base model. The last race destroyed front and rear wheel bearings, bottom bracket and the brake calipers…..here's a pic at the finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-2014-manatoc-4.jpg  

    Specialized Fatboy-2014-manatoc-2.jpg  


  29. #229
    Last, not lost.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    210
    Well, it's a little different on the Comp hub. Drive side is creating a nightmare for me right now. Split ball bearings and half a stuck bearing surface in my freehub. I've got replacements, but I just can't get it out.
    FYI for me it was a 5mm allen, and a 17mm cone wrench. 6001 for each side, and 6902x2 inside the freehub - driveside. Inside the freehub was my failure bearing.

    Steel Axle in case anyone wondered.

    She's soaking in pb blaster right now.

    ...And we're off to the shop.
    Last edited by one4teen; 09-24-2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: forgot a bearing

  30. #230
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    212
    NOT trying to throw salt in a wound...

    I was wondering if any Fatboy owners wished for thru-axles, or is it not that big a deal?

  31. #231
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    132
    Dang. I got mud on my rims once..... it was traumatic....

  32. #232
    Last, not lost.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    210
    No salt sting here. I'm not a thru axle guy on my other bikes, and really have nothing against them, just don't have them. I really think that thru axle or not, the cheap bearings are the culprit for a few of us. I've got a new freehub on the way, and a really nice set of bearings for the whole sheebang. I'll have basically rebuilt myself into better quality.

  33. #233
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    NOT trying to throw salt in a wound...

    I was wondering if any Fatboy owners wished for thru-axles, or is it not that big a deal?
    i have thru axle on my bluto..

  34. #234
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    212
    Yes, that's true- if you install a Bluto (which I almost certainly would for the rocky trails of Arizona) you'd have a thru-axle on the front.

    I am almost certainly over-thinking specs parts prices geometries. lol

    Just wanting to 'get it right' the first time. One question I need to answer is will a fatbike replace my full-suspension 29'er, or be a supplement to the stable? Hard to know until I've had one awhile, I suppose.

  35. #235
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,216
    I basically replaced a short travel 29er with my Fatboy. The big rear tire feels alot like an 80-100mm travel 29er in the rear thru the rough, but with the climbing efficiency of a hardtail.

    I went with a 120mm Bluto just to slacken it out and fit my riding style better. No regrets at all! I rode the bike hard all summer long in the dusty hardpack and loved it. Cant wait to see how it does in the rain/wet.
    14 Aurum, 15 P.3, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

  36. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    Yes, that's true- if you install a Bluto (which I almost certainly would for the rocky trails of Arizona) you'd have a thru-axle on the front.

    I am almost certainly over-thinking specs parts prices geometries. lol

    Just wanting to 'get it right' the first time. One question I need to answer is will a fatbike replace my full-suspension 29'er, or be a supplement to the stable? Hard to know until I've had one awhile, I suppose.
    that question has been posted so many times.. bottom line, it all depends on you.. how you ride and where you ride will ultimately decide if you want the fatbike to be your primary bike or part of your stable.. me being in san diego, i ride my fatboy primarily on trails here.. i ride it on the beach occasionally and road most of the time.. i have sold my 29er since.. upgraded parts on my fatboy and love riding it anywhere my legs can take me..

  37. #237
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    212
    Thanks, av8or. It seems like nearly every opinion I've read related to all things Fatboy are overwhelmingly positive. Specialized must've got it right. I've yet to ride one, but it's awesome just to look at!

  38. #238
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    132
    I don't really consider my fatbike a replacement for my HT 29er and my Carve Expert 29er is the geo the Fatboy is based on. It's nice to have a second bike to go riding on. The 29er excels in some ways I feel.

    Don't own a FS so I couldn't say there. Won't be long though.

  39. #239
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackdz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    80
    I have an SWorks Epic 29er. It has been ridden twice this summer, mostly due to a commitment to race the fatboy, but I enjoy racing the fatboy. I'm amazed at how close the fatboy feels on the trail when compared to my SWorks. It handle very similarly. I could be on a Borealis tomorrow...but I love my Specialized bikes. I have my fatboy down to 27.4 lbs with pedal....can get the weight down below 27 lbs. with a switch to HuDu's that I have in the garage. I don't like how the HuDu's ride the trail when compared to the GC's. They self steer easier, bounce more and do not have the same traction, wet or dry.

  40. #240
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    132
    I mostly notice advantage Carve when riding smooth hard packed with slight incline for 15 miles or so. Going as hard my personal hardest which I know would pale to others'. Noticed I used less energy to do it with the Ambit2. Felt like it too.

    I figure it's all in the wheel weight and tire width in that instance. That reducing the tire/wheel weight and width on the Fatty would again make all things pretty equal. I prefer to just grab the other bike and go instead though. But, like a monster truck vs a Silverado, upsizing the engine will overcome this. And the fatty will definitely help to upsize the engine.

    If I had to or wanted to only have one the Fatboy would stay.

    Good to know on the Husker Du's.

  41. #241
    Last, not lost.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    210

    Specialized Fatboy


    Raced the FB this weekend. I was the only fattie out there. Bike did great.

  42. #242
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alshead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,580
    ^looks like you're running SS?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

  43. #243
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    34
    I had rear hub axle fixed with the SST version by my local LBS. Now cassette tends to get little loose while climbing.

    Can someone tell me if Sunrace cassette on Fatboy Comp 2014 need a spacer in between last pinion and free wheel ?

    I guess that's the root cause and they did forget to add.

    How thick it is ?

    thanks guys

  44. #244
    Last, not lost.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    210

    Specialized Fatboy

    ^^not SS. 1x10.

    ^not sure about the 14s, but my 15comp had no spacer with the sunrace. Switched to sram.

  45. #245
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    34

    Specialized Fatboy

    Still in trouble.... Too bad

  46. #246
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,364
    Demo'd one with the Bluto last week. It was a short ride but pretty fun. My first time on a fat bike.
    No moss...

  47. #247
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdz View Post
    I have an SWorks Epic 29er. It has been ridden twice this summer, mostly due to a commitment to race the fatboy, but I enjoy racing the fatboy. I'm amazed at how close the fatboy feels on the trail when compared to my SWorks. It handle very similarly. I could be on a Borealis tomorrow...but I love my Specialized bikes. I have my fatboy down to 27.4 lbs with pedal....can get the weight down below 27 lbs. with a switch to HuDu's that I have in the garage. I don't like how the HuDu's ride the trail when compared to the GC's. They self steer easier, bounce more and do not have the same traction, wet or dry.
    Can you list your mods? 27.4lbs with peddles is solid!
    I just weighed today and I was 28.49lbs with peddles, cage, speedo, and some mud.

  48. #248
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackdz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    Can you list your mods? 27.4lbs with peddles is solid!
    I just weighed today and I was 28.49lbs with peddles, cage, speedo, and some mud.
    See Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread

  49. #249
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdz View Post
    good work...I see you have a 17.5...I will reweigh mine with no mud, and see how much it is. Im running a 19 with stock crank, brakes, stem.

  50. #250
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scblur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    21
    Picked mine up Tuesday. Finally got to ride fri and sat. Climbs up steep wet, root covered technical sections like the wheels are filled with helium.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg  

    Last edited by scblur; 10-21-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Funn Fatboy handlebars and other Funn stuff
    By kneetowaist in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 03:46 PM
  2. Funn Fatboy DH Riser Bar 2012
    By toni31 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 07:26 AM
  3. Funn Fatboy Handlebar - White/30mm/690mm/31.8mm - $29.33 Shipped
    By marpilli in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2012, 01:48 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 09:43 PM
  5. Fatboy Newbie!
    By jpolk34 in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 10:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •