Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I think someone was looking for a ride report on the bluto on the fatboy?

FatBoy with Bluto?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    lol to funny....I have my s works epic 29er sitting also as I am really enjoying this fat boy....only thing I miss about the epic is the 10lb weight shed. I need to drop some lbs.....how did you do the tubeless setup on your fatboy? I would like to try that but I am not seeing a robust setup yet(atleast from what I have heard). What is the weight of your setup now?
    My tubeless setup is gorilla tape and Stans. I got the rear to seal the first try, needed to do the front 3 times to get it to seal. I'm happy to report it is totally sealed and I am rocking this thing hard on the dirt with no issues at 6-7 psi.

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    I'm tossing this here, we've got a bunch of threads on the FB going.

I picked the comp model for a reason, I wanted to bolt the parts onto it that I wanted, and then parts bin the rest for my kids bikes. I also really wanted the green.

These brakes suck. Tektro Gemini. There's squat for adjustment other than reach, and the reach isn't even true reach. It's just moving the travel further from or closer to you. My front is great, the rear is horrible. I'm ripping them off today and tossing on my trusty BB7's.

I also hated the gripshift, but that's a personal thing. Triggers were on within 3 rides.

But otherwise, this thing is fun. Lots more than I expected.

mtbr member
    Does anybody know the weight of the seatpost?
    Tommy:It's for protection.
    Turkish:Protection from what . . . zee Germans?
    veintinuevepulgadas

mtbr member
    The one on my large is just under 400g uncut. It is REALLY long too. I'm 5'10 and all the way lowered it still stuck up so much I could barely reach the pedals. It was command post climb height!

The Command post is about 540g, so it wasnt a big weight gain to add a dropper! If you go the other route and install a carbon post you can shave a ton of weight off the bike.
    14 Aurum, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    The one on my large is just under 400g uncut. It is REALLY long too. I'm 5'10 and all the way lowered it still stuck up so much I could barely reach the pedals. It was command post climb height!

The Command post is about 540g, so it wasnt a big weight gain to add a dropper! If you go the other route and install a carbon post you can shave a ton of weight off the bike.
    Ooops, heavy as a tank. Definitely I'll go for a carbon handlebar and seatpost. When the bike arrives (I've been told that I'll get it in September) I'm going to put it on a diet: Enve bars and stem, R1 brakes, XT cassette, XTR derailleur and shifters, Romin Evo saddle...
    Tommy:It's for protection.
    Turkish:Protection from what . . . zee Germans?
    veintinuevepulgadas

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I've had my Fatboy Expert for a few weeks now and been loving it. The grip from the Ground Controls is amazing and the bike feels soooo light and flickable, yet drives over obstacles like a monster truck. It is an absolute hoot to ride, can't wait to try it in the snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hello,I currently ride a Muk2 in large size,and am thinking about buying a Fatboy Expert to replace it...Just have a few questions for those that own one...I'm 5'10, should I stick with a Large,or go medium? How is the gloss black paint holding up? Is the front derailuer cable prone to getting snagged when riding through thick brush? And lastly, will I get used to the grip shift(never owned a bike with it?? Tia for any replies....

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm 6'2" with a 34" in seam and the large fits me well with a longer raised stem. The XL was a better fit in top tube length, but gave me very little clearance in top tube height. I wanted whatever clearance I could get for snow riding.

I put black factory Effex vinyl over the wear areas of the bike (top tube, chain stays, fork tubes) and that should do a good job in preventing scratches based on my motorcycle experience.

I haven't had any issues with the front derailleur cable, your leg protects it when riding.

As for the grip shift, either you will learn to like it or swap it out. After using it a bit, I prefer it to the triggers as it doesn't hit the edge of your thumb when riding like they do, and you don't have to loosen or change grip to shift.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10 with a 31" in seam and I went large. The Medium felt too compact. The only issue I have is after installing a 120mm Bluto the Toptube is really close to the "boys". If I was to do it again I'd get a medium for the extra top tube clearance. If your stayign with the stock fork the large is ok.

When I got my Fatboy my first thought was "the grip shift has to go!" but after a couple rides I really enjoyed it. When I installed Shimano brakes I couldnt reach the level without sliding my hands in, which would cause me to shift on accident. I switched to a trigger shifter, but i find I do miss the grip shift a little.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I'm 5'10 with a 31" in seam and I went large. The Medium felt too compact. The only issue I have is after installing a 120mm Bluto the Toptube is really close to the "boys". If I was to do it again I'd get a medium for the extra top tube clearance. If your stayign with the stock fork the large is ok.

When I got my Fatboy my first thought was "the grip shift has to go!" but after a couple rides I really enjoyed it. When I installed Shimano brakes I couldnt reach the level without sliding my hands in, which would cause me to shift on accident. I switched to a trigger shifter, but i find I do miss the grip shift a little.
    Thanks for the replies guys…Just spent more than an hour tooling around on a large expert, and a medium standard…while I love the orange colors of the standard(the black and red ain't so bad either, and just so happens to match my roubaix color scheme), the shifting, braking, and feel of the expert just felt so much smoother to me…Coming from a large Mukluk 2, I kinda like the extra room for the longer rides, so The large is definitely the Fatboy for me! I ended up getting $300.00 off (dealer promo), and put a little more than half down as a deposit…Now I feel like an 8 year old on Christmas eve…Can't wait to get the bike…it's looking like another paycheck or 2 (unless I can sell the Muk before than) before I can get it…for now it's in the dealers basement with my name on it….

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesnhere View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys…Just spent more than an hour tooling around on a large expert, and a medium standard…while I love the orange colors of the standard(the black and red ain't so bad either, and just so happens to match my roubaix color scheme), the shifting, braking, and feel of the expert just felt so much smoother to me…Coming from a large Mukluk 2, I kinda like the extra room for the longer rides, so The large is definitely the Fatboy for me! I ended up getting $300.00 off (dealer promo), and put a little more than half down as a deposit…Now I feel like an 8 year old on Christmas eve…Can't wait to get the bike…it's looking like another paycheck or 2 (unless I can sell the Muk before than) before I can get it…for now it's in the dealers basement with my name on it….
    Congrats! The price difference between the expert and standard is fairly significant, but after riding both a bunch I came to a similar conclusion. I also really liked the grippy pedals on the expert although I found out they grip your leg pretty well if you aren't careful

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010

Specialized Fatboy

Here she is in the wild.
    XL comp with a few changes so far. Weighing in at 30.66 lbs as pictured.

1x10 with a SRAM 1050 cassette.
    32T wolf tooth on the front.
    X7 trigger shifter.
    Tubeless with the Pegasus tape- flawless.
    Thomson seat post, Pure V seat.
    BB7 with SD levers, HS1 rotors, Jagwire housing.
    Easton EA70 low rise bar.
    Ergon Biokork grips.
    YAWYD head cap.

Love it.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the real weights of the stock bikes? Is that info already in this thread? I picked up a Fatboy today and it had to be 35+ pounds?

mtbr member
    I think my large comp was closer to 30lbs, don't have an exact number sorry.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2015 GT Grade 105

mtbr member
    On a park tools scale my stock large comp was 32 lbs.
    I went carbon bars, 1x10 and dropped some weight but added a command post and Bluto and it is 33 lbs now. I will go tuneless soon and that should get it back done closer to 30.

My Stumpjumper Evo is a little under 26 lbs so I'm use to a light bike but I have no issues with the Fatboy feeling like a pig or anything.

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    Stock at home for my XL was 33.12 lbs. That's tubes and all the bits, including the stock pedals.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Muk Sold, Picking up My Expert Tomorrow Afternoon!!! No sleeping tonight!!! Can't wait!

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    Crap. Sounds like my rear hub has got gravel in it. Anyone able to pull it apart and lube it up? Gotta race this weekend and I'm riding fat, grind or not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Have you read the posts by some guys on here with broken axles in the rear hub? Seems to be becoming more common on the Fatboys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Specialized Fatboy

Known issue for 2014 model year. For 2015 they changed to steel in place of aluminum. Mine replaced under warranty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by one4teen View Post
    Crap. Sounds like my rear hub has got gravel in it. Anyone able to pull it apart and lube it up? Gotta race this weekend and I'm riding fat, grind or not.
    I've pulled mine apart and replace the bearing with Enduro bearing. They are a standard 6001 bearing, most shops stock these. The OD is 28mm, ID 12mm and thickness is 8mm.
    Last edited by jackdz; 09-24-2014 at 04:19 AM. Reason: wrong bearing quoted

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    Thanks Jack, I'll get on it. Any dissassembly advice? I'll take whatever you've got.

mtbr member
    You'll need an 18mm cone wrench, 4mm allen wrench. From the drive side, use the cone wrench on the cone (duh?) and insert the allen into the end of the axle. That will let you loosen the cone. Loosen the other side with the cone wrench, you'll need to leave the allen in the drive side. Pull the driver (splined hub) off and there is a bearing there. I used a socket with a 10 inch extension to drive out the opposite side. It's pretty easy. Mine were really bad, but I raced in extremely wet conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdz View Post
    You'll need an 18mm cone wrench, 4mm allen wrench. From the drive side, use the cone wrench on the cone (duh?) and insert the allen into the end of the axle. That will let you loosen the cone. Loosen the other side with the cone wrench, you'll need to leave the allen in the drive side. Pull the driver (splined hub) off and there is a bearing there. I used a socket with a 10 inch extension to drive out the opposite side. It's pretty easy. Mine were really bad, but I raced in extremely wet conditions.
    i thought the problem is the axles on these fatboys.. not the bearing

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This is excellent info here. Thanks for posting all of it from the 2015's being improved to how to replace the bearing.

I gotta say I feel inferior to you guys because I have not worn anything out yet....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    i thought the problem is the axles on these fatboys.. not the bearing
    I have a Fatboy Expert…have had it since last December and have 25+ races and many training rides. I have had zero issues with the axle. My bike is heavily upgraded and I probably should have started with the base model. The last race destroyed front and rear wheel bearings, bottom bracket and the brake calipers…..here's a pic at the finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-2014-manatoc-4.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy-2014-manatoc-2.jpg  

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    Well, it's a little different on the Comp hub. Drive side is creating a nightmare for me right now. Split ball bearings and half a stuck bearing surface in my freehub. I've got replacements, but I just can't get it out.
    FYI for me it was a 5mm allen, and a 17mm cone wrench. 6001 for each side, and 6902x2 inside the freehub - driveside. Inside the freehub was my failure bearing.

Steel Axle in case anyone wondered.

She's soaking in pb blaster right now.

...And we're off to the shop.
    Last edited by one4teen; 09-24-2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: forgot a bearing

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    NOT trying to throw salt in a wound...

I was wondering if any Fatboy owners wished for thru-axles, or is it not that big a deal?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Dang. I got mud on my rims once..... it was traumatic....

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    No salt sting here. I'm not a thru axle guy on my other bikes, and really have nothing against them, just don't have them. I really think that thru axle or not, the cheap bearings are the culprit for a few of us. I've got a new freehub on the way, and a really nice set of bearings for the whole sheebang. I'll have basically rebuilt myself into better quality.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    NOT trying to throw salt in a wound...

I was wondering if any Fatboy owners wished for thru-axles, or is it not that big a deal?
    i have thru axle on my bluto..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yes, that's true- if you install a Bluto (which I almost certainly would for the rocky trails of Arizona) you'd have a thru-axle on the front.

I am almost certainly over-thinking specs parts prices geometries. lol

Just wanting to 'get it right' the first time. One question I need to answer is will a fatbike replace my full-suspension 29'er, or be a supplement to the stable? Hard to know until I've had one awhile, I suppose.

mtbr member
    I basically replaced a short travel 29er with my Fatboy. The big rear tire feels alot like an 80-100mm travel 29er in the rear thru the rough, but with the climbing efficiency of a hardtail.

I went with a 120mm Bluto just to slacken it out and fit my riding style better. No regrets at all! I rode the bike hard all summer long in the dusty hardpack and loved it. Cant wait to see how it does in the rain/wet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    Yes, that's true- if you install a Bluto (which I almost certainly would for the rocky trails of Arizona) you'd have a thru-axle on the front.

I am almost certainly over-thinking specs parts prices geometries. lol

Just wanting to 'get it right' the first time. One question I need to answer is will a fatbike replace my full-suspension 29'er, or be a supplement to the stable? Hard to know until I've had one awhile, I suppose.
    that question has been posted so many times.. bottom line, it all depends on you.. how you ride and where you ride will ultimately decide if you want the fatbike to be your primary bike or part of your stable.. me being in san diego, i ride my fatboy primarily on trails here.. i ride it on the beach occasionally and road most of the time.. i have sold my 29er since.. upgraded parts on my fatboy and love riding it anywhere my legs can take me..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks, av8or. It seems like nearly every opinion I've read related to all things Fatboy are overwhelmingly positive. Specialized must've got it right. I've yet to ride one, but it's awesome just to look at!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't really consider my fatbike a replacement for my HT 29er and my Carve Expert 29er is the geo the Fatboy is based on. It's nice to have a second bike to go riding on. The 29er excels in some ways I feel.

Don't own a FS so I couldn't say there. Won't be long though.

mtbr member
    I have an SWorks Epic 29er. It has been ridden twice this summer, mostly due to a commitment to race the fatboy, but I enjoy racing the fatboy. I'm amazed at how close the fatboy feels on the trail when compared to my SWorks. It handle very similarly. I could be on a Borealis tomorrow...but I love my Specialized bikes. I have my fatboy down to 27.4 lbs with pedal....can get the weight down below 27 lbs. with a switch to HuDu's that I have in the garage. I don't like how the HuDu's ride the trail when compared to the GC's. They self steer easier, bounce more and do not have the same traction, wet or dry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I mostly notice advantage Carve when riding smooth hard packed with slight incline for 15 miles or so. Going as hard my personal hardest which I know would pale to others'. Noticed I used less energy to do it with the Ambit2. Felt like it too.

I figure it's all in the wheel weight and tire width in that instance. That reducing the tire/wheel weight and width on the Fatty would again make all things pretty equal. I prefer to just grab the other bike and go instead though. But, like a monster truck vs a Silverado, upsizing the engine will overcome this. And the fatty will definitely help to upsize the engine.

If I had to or wanted to only have one the Fatboy would stay.

Good to know on the Husker Du's.

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010

Specialized Fatboy

Raced the FB this weekend. I was the only fattie out there. Bike did great.

mtbr member
    ^looks like you're running SS?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I had rear hub axle fixed with the SST version by my local LBS. Now cassette tends to get little loose while climbing.

Can someone tell me if Sunrace cassette on Fatboy Comp 2014 need a spacer in between last pinion and free wheel ?

I guess that's the root cause and they did forget to add.

How thick it is ?

thanks guys

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010

Specialized Fatboy

^^not SS. 1x10.

^not sure about the 14s, but my 15comp had no spacer with the sunrace. Switched to sram.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Specialized Fatboy

Still in trouble.... Too bad

The White Jeff W
    Demo'd one with the Bluto last week. It was a short ride but pretty fun. My first time on a fat bike.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have an SWorks Epic 29er. It has been ridden twice this summer, mostly due to a commitment to race the fatboy, but I enjoy racing the fatboy. I'm amazed at how close the fatboy feels on the trail when compared to my SWorks. It handle very similarly. I could be on a Borealis tomorrow...but I love my Specialized bikes. I have my fatboy down to 27.4 lbs with pedal....can get the weight down below 27 lbs. with a switch to HuDu's that I have in the garage. I don't like how the HuDu's ride the trail when compared to the GC's. They self steer easier, bounce more and do not have the same traction, wet or dry.
    Can you list your mods? 27.4lbs with peddles is solid!
    I just weighed today and I was 28.49lbs with peddles, cage, speedo, and some mud.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    Can you list your mods? 27.4lbs with peddles is solid!
    I just weighed today and I was 28.49lbs with peddles, cage, speedo, and some mud.
    See Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread

mtbr member
    May 2008
    good work...I see you have a 17.5...I will reweigh mine with no mud, and see how much it is. Im running a 19 with stock crank, brakes, stem.

mtbr member
    Picked mine up Tuesday. Finally got to ride fri and sat. Climbs up steep wet, root covered technical sections like the wheels are filled with helium.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg  

Last edited by scblur; 10-21-2014 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Picked mine up today...some initial snaps...

Specialized Fatboy-dsc_0104.jpgSpecialized Fatboy-dsc_0114.jpgSpecialized Fatboy-dsc_0112.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I couldn;t find a Specialized Facebook "Fan" page so I created one...join up if interested...

https://www.facebook.com/fatboyfanboy

Show us your Fatboy

mtbr member
    Any of you colder climate folks had a chance to try out the 4.6 Ground Controls in the snow yet? Still fall over here in NE, hoping to hear some good things about float and snow performance before the winter starts.
    // Giant Trance Advanced
    // Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // Cannondale Scalpel-Si
    // Specialized Fatboy
    // Giant Glory

Loser
    I used my Fatboy last winter. The Ground Controls worked great. I rode with guys on Nates and I would say they were mostly comparable, perhaps slightly better in the snow. They are a bit less aggressive than nates, but they are wider.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Can't go wrong with gc's in/on snow. They just plain work. And are reasonably light for the size. Not snowshoe light, but a bit better paddler I'd say.

rog

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    How do the GC's set up as tubeless?

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
    How do the GC's set up as tubeless?
    Easy money. I did mine with a split tube. You will likely have to put a ratchet strap around the tire to push the beads onto the rim so you can get the tires to take air. With the ratchet strap on the tire I inflated one of mine with a floor pump.

Specialized Fatboy
    Dunno if the other post was the right place to post this so I'll post it here too.

Anyway, blind bought a Specialized Fatbike. I made some custom vinyl stickers to cover the yellow and protect parts of the bike from debris.

Peer Pressure ftl and yolo... lol...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by NRS1FREAK View Post
    Dunno if the other post was the right place to post this so I'll post it here too.

Anyway, blind bought a Specialized Fatbike. I made some custom vinyl stickers to cover the yellow and protect parts of the bike from debris.

I think you have a bad case of ocd.. You bought a bike to be ridden and hence some paint chips on the frame will occur.. Otherwise don't ride it.. If you really want to protect your bike, get some clear tape.. You're making it too obvious.. And don't worry about your downtube.. I don't have anything there and i ride the trails hard.. No paint chips there

Specialized Fatboy
    I haven't had a chance to ride it. I've had my Giant NRS 1 for like 15 yrs and have done lots of XC riding mostly up hill, don't worry I'll get use out of the new one too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you really wanna protect the frame, I'd rather take care about parts that are nearest to the tires. And also to chain and especially the part of right chainstay near front derailleur. In case of chain fall or it sticks to chain wheel... So protect outer part of chainstay and front part of BB at chain side.
    But in fact - after one or two small scratches you'll probably stop paying attention to the painting. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by NRS1FREAK View Post

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    I

I think you have a bad case of ocd.. You bought a bike to be ridden and hence some paint chips on the frame will occur.. Otherwise don't ride it.. If you really want to protect your bike, get some clear tape.. You're making it too obvious.. And don't worry about your downtube.. I don't have anything there and i ride the trails hard.. No paint chips there
    Putting aside the OCD question, I have had my downtube dented a couple of times over the years from rocks flipped up by the front tire, not sure tape would have helped, so paint chips are a possibility. But, for sure, ride it and don't worry too much about the paint.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Putting aside the OCD question, I have had my downtube dented a couple of times over the years from rocks flipped up by the front tire, not sure tape would have helped, so paint chips are a possibility. But, for sure, ride it and don't worry too much about the paint.
    For racing cars for ralley they use 3M transparent tape. Also for new cars sold to customers. E. g. on my Fabia, there is this tape at the lower part just befor rear wheels. Look at your car, or to any car newer than 5 yeras. It's quite usual.
    And if this is enough to protect the car with it's high wheel spins, it is surly enough for bike frames

Specialized Fatboy
    Guys... I cared more about covering up the yellow than protecting the paint... Geez...

mtbr member
    lol, okay, youd probably be horrified if you saw where I take my fattie (thorns, brush, sticks, scratches, etc.) I crashed going over a log the other day and put a small dent in her top tube already. ride her raw.

mtbr member
    ^I think it looks great. I've thought about trying to black mine out entirely. Good on ya.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Alu is for beer cans.

rog

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Anyone use a bash guard? Which one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Factory effex Black 16 mil universal vinyl is a great match for the Fatboy black paint if you want to protect paint or black out the factory accents. The clear works well if you don't want to block decals. I've used it on dirt bikes for years and it does a great job protecting wear areas and helping objects slide across it rather than scrape across your paint.

No OCD here, but for $14 and half an hour of taping my bike will look a lot better down the road.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just a question for all fatboy riders

How high/low do you run your bars in relation to your saddle height.

After many yrs on rd and XC racing I tend to have mine a fair way below my seat. I guess it is going to be trial and error, I have a set of 700mm carbon flat bars I can throw on but wondering what you experienced fatties think.

Is a wider riser bar an advantage? or should I run a similar width to my 29er race bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Specialized Fatboy

Curious what your build is to get down to 27lbs. That's awesome...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Bar height

Quote Originally Posted by fletchog View Post

After many yrs on rd and XC racing I tend to have mine a fair way below my seat. I guess it is going to be trial and error, I have a set of 700mm carbon flat bars I can throw on but wondering what you experienced fatties think.

Is a wider riser bar an advantage? or should I run a similar width to my 29er race bike?
    I put on a Ritchey 32 degree 80mm stem. It put the bars (RF Next risers) dead even with the top of the saddle. What can I say, I'm old. Not sure I'm going to stick with the stem. Will see how things work out after the snow falls, which is supposed to be in three days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Picked up my new fatty, first time fat and its been 20 years since I rode a mtn bike. One thing about this bike is I just can't help but smile every time I ride it! Only mods are my own custom camo rim strips and a WIDE stand to accommodate those tires!Specialized Fatboy-image.jpgSpecialized Fatboy-image.jpg

mtbr member

I think it's a very personal preference thing. A year ago, I was running 660 bars on all of my bikes and riding great. Now, I'm riding 730-740 (typically with a shorter stem), and when I ride anything smaller, it feels unstable. I've also come up more and ride my bars about level with my saddle, and sometimes a smidge higher. Old, yes, but I also find it allows me to breathe better and relax my shoulders. I currently have my fatboy setup with the Bluto at 120, a 50mm stem and 710 bars.

I'd say throw the carbon bars on and feel it out. It takes all of about 10 minutes to swap a pair of bars...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Went for a ride and didnt notice the slightly narrower width or los of height going from riser to flat. Felt quite comfortable going down the big flights of timber stairs to the beach.

Have also put on a Thompson setback post which feels better than the std post

I liked the carbon bar feel more than anything.

Am really enjoying the beach riding, great decision geting the fatboy over building a 29 SS

mtbr member
    Bike shop has a FB with full XTR, CF cranks, post, bars, super expensive saddle... You get the picture

It weighs 27.8

FYI

mtbr member
    last updates
    Specialized Fatboy-dsc_1116.jpg
    Friends, forgive me for my spanish-inglish

mtbr member
    I love the orange on this bike. I think it looks great.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

Specialized Fatboy
    Had my Inaugural ride yesterday and it went AWESOMELY! LOL Best blind buy EVAR!

Did some more sticker work to cover up the Yellow so I wouldn't look my friend's bike, his is the same model. Also made some white Specialized stickers for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Fatboy SL 26 lbs 15 ounces with pedals...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHumpal View Post
    Fatboy SL 26 lbs 15 ounces with pedals...
    WOW - nice.

What part of the country did you buy that?
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Busted my rear hub yesterday: Cassette body and the bearing under it gone wild. Took it to LBS and spec send a complete new wheel, no question ask. 1300 km, 2 months. Seem to be the same hub, will see... But way to go for service! ;o)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Rode the fatboy on some of the trails I race on last night.....interesting but awesome fun. not goig to sell my superfly but the FB is a great training tool and seems to have me smiling al the time.
    Here we are going over the top of the You yangs
    Last edited by fletchog; 11-15-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Rode the fatboy on some of the rails I race on last night.....interesting but awesome fun. not goig to sell my superbly but the FB is a great training tool and seems to have me smiling al the time.
    Sure you're not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stump 29 View Post
    Sure you're not.
    The more bikes you have, the more you are a person.

I'm six. 8-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by new8812 View Post
    Busted my rear hub yesterday: Cassette body and the bearing under it gone wild. Took it to LBS and spec send a complete new wheel, no question ask. 1300 km, 2 months. Seem to be the same hub, will see... But way to go for service! ;o)
    they upgraded my samox crankset to e.thirteen from the expert just 'coz i lost the puller cap on the samox.. had the bike for only 3 mos.. very happy customer..

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Nice bike...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Just me...

Dual Squishy...
    Anyone got an idea on how much the FB rims weigh?

mtbr member

I try not to take offense

Specialized Fatboy-nov1414.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Today I pretty much impulse-bought a Fatboy! Came home from work yesterday and was super sad about how snowy it was and I really wanted to ride. So bam! Got the tool for the job!

All stock for now... but I might put on a some carbon bars that I have laying around, and I ordered a frame bag.

Specialized Fatboy-10690333_10154813124135442_176459876787761589_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Specialized Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22 View Post
    Anyone got an idea on how much the FB rims weigh?
    762 grams on my scale.

mtbr member
    After 4 or 5 weeks of owning my FB i've had to change the bb30 bearings after just 4 dry weather rides and now replace the rear hub bearings and cassette body as the were completely shot ( one wet weather ride ). I love the bike don't get me wrong but the quality of bearings, hubs etc. are disgraceful for the price of the bikes Specialized, maybe explain to the bearing suppliers wtf grease is and why they should use it!!!! Rant over, thanks.
    I maybe getting older but i refuse to grow up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

first ride, fun.........

had a blast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-dsc01389.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieinswitzerland View Post
    After 4 or 5 weeks of owning my FB i've had to change the bb30 bearings after just 4 dry weather rides and now replace the rear hub bearings and cassette body as the were completely shot ( one wet weather ride ). I love the bike don't get me wrong but the quality of bearings, hubs etc. are disgraceful for the price of the bikes Specialized, maybe explain to the bearing suppliers wtf grease is and why they should use it!!!! Rant over, thanks.
    Go back to the shop, they are VERY good on warranty return, excellent service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieinswitzerland View Post
    Spesh have always been the same - decent R&D for frames/geo etc but component parts are terrible

My PF30 BB bearings lasted 3 weeks, which plainly is a joke

mtbr member
    BB's and rear hubs have always been issues on Spesh bikes until you pay the big $ (even then, depending on if it's a "house" brand or if they doll out the cash to actually put someone else's decent equipment on).

mtbr member
    you just paid to have "specialized " write on your frame .

you re not alone to have bearings problems here in france , it s same i ve already change bottom bracket and last week rear wheel bearings .

excuse my poor english ...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stump 29 View Post
    Sure you're not.
    The Superfly is an amazing race bike, much faster than I'll ever be.
    The Fatboy has opened up a whole new world of terrain for me, and it is great training having to push that little bit harder
    So glad I bought this over a 29er SS

Specialized Fatboy
    Oh man, I feel like I'm cheating with this bike. I visited a old bike trail that I haven't been to in a very long time. It was effortless. LOL Also, named the bike. xD

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast