Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    And if I hear "this will drive fat bike tire prices down" one more time in this same thread, I am just going to lose it.
    Quick everyone, this guy's trying to stop us from beating the horse. Next thing he's going to expect us to stop "driving the prices of fat bike tires and components down" in all the other threads. Get him!

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    it will drive the prices of fat bike components down on when they make too many for the market and have to surplus the ones they didn't sell (ducking)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Quick everyone, this guy's trying to stop us from beating the horse. Next thing he's going to expect us to stop "driving the prices of fat bike tires and components down" in all the other threads. Get him!
    Hey if you survived the Wallgoosepocalypse of 2013 nothing can get you down.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Re: Specialized Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Hey if you survived the Wallgoosepocalypse of 2013 nothing can get you down.
    Yes! Probably the best name I have heard to describe an event in awhile.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Yes

Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Are they taking orders already?
    Is the MSRP set yet?
    I work at my LBS and most Specialized shop's in New Zealand have had to place there orders for stock this week.

Yes to MSRP, But anyone in New Zealand can go into there LBS and Ask! I'm not going to post it here (Sorry).

Looking forward to Fat Tyre Fun riding Singletrack in Mid Summer

Pete

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by winkster View Post
    Have you tried the On-One Floater tires? I am loving them for trail riding. I ride mostly single track with alot of chunk and the the Floater tires performs very well. Lots of traction on every surface I have come to.
    Hey;

I was wondering why no one else mentioned these? I guess the fact that all fatbike tire prices will naturally be coming down now that Specialized is getting into the market rendered this obvious choice moot. Relative to HuDus (120) and Nates (27), I am very pleased with their performance after one month of hard trail riding. In fact, I can comfortably say that I think they are the best all around tire choice out there.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

I was wondering why no one else mentioned these? I guess the fact that all fatbike tire prices will naturally be coming down now that Specialized is getting into the market rendered this obvious choice moot. Relative to HuDus (120) and Nates (27), I am very pleased with their performance after one month of hard trail riding. In fact, I can comfortably say that I think they are the best all around tire choice out there.
    It's not like we run over to our LBS and pick one up, though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Ha! I have yet to see ANYTHING fat in any of my LBS (Monmouth County, NJ). Apparently they're waiting for the bandwagon to run them over.

Edit: Hold on, I'm being told that the bike shops are just waiting for Trek and/or Specialized to get on board and drive the prices down.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Ha! I have yet to see ANYTHING fat in any of my LBS (Monmouth County, NJ). Apparently they're waiting for the bandwagon to run them over.

Edit: Hold on, I'm being told that the bike shops are just waiting for Trek and/or Specialized to get on board and drive the prices down.
    lmao!
    Same here in Philly, although one of my LBS's, Bicycle Revolutions does at least stock fat bikes, which is more than can be said for any of the other Surly/Salsa dealers in town.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hikernks View Post
    Sigh.

Guys, the tires Specialized is using are the Bud and Lou combo with the name blacked out. That's it. They're not releasing some magical new tire that's going to magically make the tire prices come down. They're using a tire that's already in production.
    Sigh another I looked at the pretty pictures, didn't read a thing and made a stupid post comment.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    FB post from my LBS owner last night from the Spesh dealer event in Colorado:

"Ned O just beat a stacked field in the A short track race on a FATBOY. Unreal!"

And it was accompanied by a blur with huge tires screaming by.

From what I've been reading, the big S is really blowing a lot of minds this week with the glory of fat bikes.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

Are you saying that this will drive the price of tires down? The Fatboy and the AWOL, they are now forgiven for ingnoring 650b.

mtbr member
    Based upon what I've seen with nearly every profit-driven company, I am highly skeptical of any speculative conclusions regarding a substantial positive effect on fat bike/component prices.

Using tires as an example:

If a 2.4" DH/XC tire costs upwards of $80 while so many similar options exist - and those tires are made by only a handful of manufacturers - I don't think a fat tire that's nearly twice the size and amount of rubber will be noticeably cheaper than a Bud or Lou is today.

EDIT: Invalid argument after thinking of rubber used in vehicle tires lol.

Also, all of these things are only worth what people are willing to pay. If enough people pay $2500 for a Fatboy, that's what Specialized will continue to sell them for. Pricing probably won't change much. Competition will be primarily in aesthetics, intended use, brand loyalty, etc.

That's my perspective, but I'm always open to objective counter-arguments and I'd LOVE to be proven wrong!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I just bought a hudu and knard from my lbs. My cousins lbs has six knards waiting for bikes. You guys must be slumming it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I just bought a hudu and knard from my lbs. My cousins lbs has six knards waiting for bikes. You guys must be slumming it.
    The LBS here have fatbikes gathering dust on the floor so it's pretty hard to convince them they want to stock extra tires and such. LBS stock what they sell.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Fatbikes haven't gained as much popularity in the mid-atlantic as they have in the midwest. Aside from the one guy I usually ride with who has pugs, I've only seen a fatbike on the trails here just 3 times. I ride 4 days per week or more. My most recent sighting was a 9:zero:7 just last week. They're quite rare here.

Nemophilist
    Yep;

There are exactly five in my area of 200k souls, and I own two of them! Not much call for parts stock yet...
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Bad cat!
    Will someone who does pay attention in class tell me whether it has any chain tensioning provisions? Dang my '12 mukluk is starting to look all homely and awkward...

mtbr member
    I've never seen another fatbike besides my own, I would probably gush all over my saddle if I did so it's not a bad thing.

mtbr member
    we have more than 15 in my little 7,000 person rural Alaskan village
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    Will someone who does pay attention in class tell me whether it has any chain tensioning provisions? Dang my '12 mukluk is starting to look all homely and awkward...
    Definitely makes the Mukluk look pretty sorry. I wonder if the 170mm rear hub will be obsolete?
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    I work at my LBS and most Specialized shop's in New Zealand have had to place there orders for stock this week.

Yes to MSRP, But anyone in New Zealand can go into there LBS and Ask! I'm not going to post it here (Sorry).

Looking forward to Fat Tyre Fun riding Singletrack in Mid Summer

Pete
    I went to a local Special ED shop today, they didn't even know if the Fatty was coming to Australia. I'll double check.

...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Sweet, now I can't wait to see the true specs. I'll go against the grain and hope they run a little small.
    Last edited by bdundee; 07-20-2013 at 05:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpg View Post
    I went to a local Special ED shop today, they didn't even know if the Fatty was coming to Australia. I'll double check.
    Coming to Australia late this year. The store I work in has three on order and once Specialized have the tyres done, bikes are ready to ship

Two of us have Fatboys back ordered.

Get in quick with your orders as there may not be many available here in Oz

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    did someone say there was a Blur on fat tires?
    that's what I want.

All fat, all the time.
    that's what I want.
    As in SC? I emailed them and they didn't sound too interested in anything fat...at least weren't willing to leak any info.

mtbr member
    that's what I want.
    I've got a SC Nomad with 2.4" Conti Trail Kings in the rear there is just barely any room for dirt/small rocks. SC has said they are not releasing any more new bikes this year so if there is a fat Blur it's gotta be a totally custom job.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    FB post from my LBS owner last night from the Spesh dealer event in Colorado:

"Ned O just beat a stacked field in the A short track race on a FATBOY. Unreal!"

And it was accompanied by a blur with huge tires screaming by.

From what I've been reading, the big S is really blowing a lot of minds this week with the glory of fat bikes.
    this is what I was referring to when I asked if there was a [SantaCruz]Blur with fat tires, but I was misinterpreting it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    You are right, I do recall them using that somewhere else, just can't remember where?
    T'was a BMX bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hope this isn't too off topic... anybody know what font they used for the "FatBoy" moniker on the frame? Would love to make my own car decal with that font! thx!

Loser
    Just picked mine up today, but its raining, hopefully get a ride tomorrow.

Loser
    Specialized Fatboy-2014-02-22-09.58.14.jpg

Had my first ride on the Fatboy this morning. Wow. Wow. Wow. Great bike. I'll put up more of a review later on, but really enjoyed the bike and so glad to have one! Pretty drastic upgrade from the FB4, which I'm really glad about.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Where are you finding the best packed trails for the fats in eastern CT? Had my Fatboy now for just over 3 weeks, and am always looking for trails with reliable packing. I guess the warm weather in the last couple of weeks is the real problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Specialized Fatboy

Are you guys happy with comp brakes ? I'm not. Thinking to change rotors to 203mm front and 180mm rear. Any experience to share ? Trails here in the Alps are pretty demanding so I need more stopping power.

Loser
    Eastern CT: Crandalls in Tolland has three or more miles off snowshoe tramped trail. Snip has probably triple that in snowmobile packed trails. Case usually gets packed in quickly too.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    It doesn't look like it (and it may be totally unnecessary) but is the Fatboy geometry/fork suitable for a suspension fork in the future (should they become more easily available).

Not sure that I would ever need a suspension fork, but I'd like to know if that would be an option should I purchase a Fatboy.

The bike would be primarily used for summer riding.

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mneidin View Post
    It doesn't look like it (and it may be totally unnecessary) but is the Fatboy geometry/fork suitable for a suspension fork in the future (should they become more easily available).
    I assumed the bend at the top of the downtube was for future suspension fork crown clearance. I have not seen an A-C measurement on the fork, but it looks suspension corrected to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    I assumed the bend at the top of the downtube was for future suspension fork crown clearance. I have not seen an A-C measurement on the fork, but it looks suspension corrected to me.
    When I look at the pictures, I only see about an 1 1/2" to 2" of space between the top of the tire and the bottom of the headset. I would think that the crown would take about an inch of that. If you wanted 100mm fork (which could be overkill on a fatbike), you would end up raising the front end by 2" (less sag). I would think that would change the handling quite a bit. Perhaps that could be offset somewhat by a different stem or shorter steerer tube, however that would still result in a somewhat slacker head tube angle. That's just how I view the pictures.

mtbr member
    I'm getting a 470mm axle to crown measurement for the Fat Boy fork.

mtbr member

My Fatty

My Fatboy ....lov'in it !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-img_6190.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well I have to say, I loved my Fatboy this year. My only regret was that I wasn't able to test it in dirt. I didn't have any problems with the stopping power on my comp. One I'm going to do if I like the Fatboy in the summer is buy a set of new tires.

Anyone planning on doing this upgrade?

Loser
    I might look at the Bluto next summer. I put Floaters on mine for this summer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hello, I am studying the option of installing the fork rock shox bluto on the fatboy. But I do not know what the limit of travel fork installed. Specialized's answer is "recommend using 80mm of travel." But I'm interested in installing 100mm of travel. Anyone know more information about this topic? thank you very much.

mtbr member
    Picked one up today. Loving it.

Specialized Fatboy-ff44c597-d9b2-4f71-aa8c-38c48e9018e5.jpg

Has it been confirmed that we can add a 80mm BLUTO?

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by somiedo View Post
    Anyone know more information about this topic? thank you very much.
    It all depends on the length of the rigid fork as to how much travel you can use. Specialized don't have the fork length listed on their site.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Loser
    I believe 80mm matches the geo of the rigid fork. You going longer is going to mess with the geometry, which is not a big deal, probably. But it also increases the torque on the steer tube. I HIGHLY doubt this would lead to any kind of failure, but if it did, I suspect specialized would not warranty based on their recommendation.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by evercycling View Post
    Picked one up today. Loving it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FF44C597-D9B2-4F71-AA8C-38C48E9018E5.jpg 
Views:	1921 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	890238

Has it been confirmed that we can add a 80mm BLUTO?
    17.5?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    17.5?

Yup

Rocking on a Rocky
    Yup
    Looks like good stand over height. F*** I can't wait for them to land in the LBS.

Loser
    I've been riding my Fatboy a lot in the dirt since the snow disappeared. Mostly I ride it at the local place which has some technical spots, but mostly its pretty smooth with lots of turns. Its always lots of fun.

Today I decided to try it out at one of the very technical places nearby. It was still lots of fun, but in the super technical stuff, it was not so much fun. I struggled to make it through spots that are difficult, but rideable, on my RIP9. I even doubled back and tried a few of them times with not much better results. I had a couple of good crashes along the way, no big deal, but...

I always say that I ride for fun, today's ride would have been more fun on the 29er - just a point of reference I guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Looks like good stand over height. F*** I can't wait for them to land in the LBS.
    Def.

looking forward to mounting some front suspension and a CF seat post.

Any other must tweaks from other owners?

Loser
    Riser stem - the handlebars will hit the top tube if you crash, I have the chipped paint to prove it. Other than that I think its good to go (I have the Expert).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I've been riding my Fatboy a lot in the dirt since the snow disappeared. Mostly I ride it at the local place which has some technical spots, but mostly its pretty smooth with lots of turns. Its always lots of fun.

Today I decided to try it out at one of the very technical places nearby. It was still lots of fun, but in the super technical stuff, it was not so much fun. I struggled to make it through spots that are difficult, but rideable, on my RIP9. I even doubled back and tried a few of them times with not much better results. I had a couple of good crashes along the way, no big deal, but...

I always say that I ride for fun, today's ride would have been more fun on the 29er - just a point of reference I guess.
    Yeah i think there's too much debate on fat bikes vs 29ers. I think their pretty different. One can't replace the other completely. But if given the choice. I'll stick to the Fat.

Maybe get some 29 or 29+ tires as a second set?

Loser
    I don't think I'll ever get rid of my 29er, so much fun going fast and catching air. Perhaps there are riders more skilled than I (there are surely riders more skilled than I!), but for super tech or air opportunities I'll take the 29er FS every time.

mtbr member
    Riser stem - the handlebars will hit the top tube if you crash, I have the chipped paint to prove it. Other than that I think its good to go (I have the Expert).
    Interesting. Gotta research that. I have the base fat boy so it should have the same symptom.

mtbr member
    Pretty drastic upgrade from the FB4, which I'm really glad about.
    Care to go into detail on which areas of improvement are "drastic"? Aside from tires, of course.

Loser
    I wrote that immediately after my first ride on the Fatboy, honestly my memory of the FB4 has faded a bit. Some of it is the weight, but I like the geometry a lot better too. I noticed how much more nimble this bike was right off the bat.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive, its been a while since I sold the FB4.

I love the Fatboy though!

Loser
    Has anyone put a bashguard on a Fatboy? I scraped my big ring on a rock this weekend and it bummed me out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Where it belongs

mtbr member
    Has anyone put a bashguard on a Fatboy? I scraped my big ring on a rock this weekend and it bummed me out.
    I would like to do the same. Did you see the reply in your other thread in reference to the Race Face Lightweight Bash Guards? Would that work?

Loser
    I don't think it will, but I have one of those on my other bike, so I will try taking it off and seeing if it fits. I think you'd need a bashguard that only goes 3/4's of the way around. There are a couple out there like that, but they are all to cover 44T (i.e. big rings). I don't want to lose that much ground clearance.

I'll probably get to trying the swap tomorrow morning, I'll report back.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Home

these work for me
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

Loser
    Did that fit on your Fatboy?

Loser
    I ordered a BBG 36T bash. I am about 95% certain that I will need to remove that small band that goes by the crank arm. The ring on the Fatboy has a pin sticking out to prevent the chain from falling into that crevice and I think it will interfere with the ring. Hopefully the diameter of the ring is only marginally bigger than the 36t ring - if its more than 1/8" bigger it will interfere with the front derailleur. I'll gamble on $18 and will let you know how it works out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    Home

these work for me
    Do you have a pic of it on your Fatboy?

Lord Thunderbottom
    Did that fit on your Fatboy?
    I do not have a fatboy, I did have this bashring fit on a similar crank, the issue was not having a flat surface to mount it to, when you remove a ring from a triple, the spider has a flat surface for this to sit on

This is easily remedied with some nylon washers that fit over the chainring bolts but drop into the holes where the chainring bolts usually fit, the washer will be sitting on the machined shoulder giving a flat surface to mount to

this will also give you a smidge more clearance for the front derailer as well

you may need longer chainring bolts

the first thing that came to mind was cutting that little part off the back to make it fit the crank if needed, it's cheap enough to not worry about modifying
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Where it belongs
    Sweet tread!!!

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah the ridgeline trails around here tend to be like that. It's hard to see but there is a lot of scrub growth that makes the trail tight when it grows in so it tends to stay moist for longer hence the moss. This year the growing season has been shortened though so it remains to be seen how tight it gets. Usually this would be at full leaf out by now.

mtbr member

Finally Bluto!!

Loving my Fatboy even more now. I9 fat bike hubs and 100mm RS Bluto
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg  

Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg  

Loser
    I told myself I didn't want a Bluto, but to see one on a Fatboy, ugh, its making my wallet twitch.

mtbr member
    Uggghhh. That BLUTO looks sick!!!! Im jelly. Lol

banned
    Sep 2008
    Uggghhh. That BLUTO looks sick!!!! Im jelly. Lol
    ya, good thing my tange rigid fork is white. i like white. a lot. if the bluto were white i'd be fvcked

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    ya, good thing my tange rigid fork is white. i like white. a lot. if the bluto were white i'd be fvcked

rog
    Haha true. I heard that you can only order it in gloss black. That white and flat black are OEM only. Is it true?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Haha true. I heard that you can only order it in gloss black. That white and flat black are OEM only. Is it true?
    wait, wha? NOT LISTENING, NOPE CAN'T HEAR OR READ ANYTHING MUST GO RIDE NOW BYE BYE!!!!

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    wait, wha? NOT LISTENING, NOPE CAN'T HEAR OR READ ANYTHING MUST GO RIDE NOW BYE BYE!!!!

rog

Hahahahahaa. " sees "newmarketrog" haul ass away on his fat. Lmao. "

mtbr member
    Specialized Fatboy-fs_bluto_rl_wht_a17w.jpg

"MEGA DROOLZ". Sorry rog. Lmao

banned
    Sep 2008
    Hahahahahaa. " sees "newmarketrog" haul ass away on his fat. Lmao. "
    PHEW! i needed that. tange rode sooooooooooooooo good and white!

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fs_bluto_rl_wht_a17w.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	900188

"MEGA DROOLZ". Sorry rog. Lmao
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bastid

rog

mtbr member

Specialized Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by M3lon View Post
    Loving my Fatboy even more now. I9 fat bike hubs and 100mm RS Bluto
    Man that looks great

mtbr member
    F it. I pulled the trigger on a black one! 0___0 ill report back when I get it installed

mtbr member

Specialized Fatboy

If anyone is still looking for a fatboy my LBS has two a small and large. I read that people were having trouble finding them.

RAKC
    So I've ridden an origin 8 crawler and a pigs (bikes friends have) and I see the idea behind them and they felt big and slow, especially for measly 3.8" tires. Met a guy at trailhead today that has fat boy comp.....was cool and let me take it for a short spin.

Holy crap!!! Big ass tires and yet felt nice and light. Too bad I didn't have the cash I would have raced to lbs and ordered one lol. I'm a trek guy all 3 bikes in my garage are. But being the fact of 4.6 tires stock and how it felt to ride I think im going to end up cheating on my normal lbs hehe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    So I've ridden an origin 8 crawler and a pigs (bikes friends have) and I see the idea behind them and they felt big and slow, especially for measly 3.8" tires. Met a guy at trailhead today that has fat boy comp.....was cool and let me take it for a short spin.

Holy crap!!! Big ass tires and yet felt nice and light. Too bad I didn't have the cash I would have raced to lbs and ordered one lol. I'm a trek guy all 3 bikes in my garage are. But being the fact of 4.6 tires stock and how it felt to ride I think im going to end up cheating on my normal lbs hehe.

Hahaha happened to me buddy. Lol. My lbs owner was cool with it though. Now we are doing bluto, i9 hub, tubeless and a niner rdo seatpost. Im definitely going nutz with this format. Its super fun.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    hey guys I just got my fatboy expert and love it!!!! I want to go to the lighter weight tubed tire setup to shed some Gs.....which 24x 2.-3.0 tube are you guys using? 230g weight? Thats a nice weight savings. Also Im curious if anyone has upgraded to carbon fiber bars or seat post yet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    I want to go to the lighter weight tubed tire setup to shed some Gs.....which 24x 2.-3.0 tube are you guys using? 230g weight?
    Maxxis 24 x 2.7 DH tube, 420 g.

- projekt

banned
    Sep 2008
    q-lite 26x2.4-2.75 256 grams.

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    Also Im curious if anyone has upgraded to carbon fiber bars or seat post yet?
    I have upgraded by Fatboy with carbon bars and seat post, XX cassette, Wolf tooth 1x 30T sprocket, Ti railed Phenom seat, X9 shifter and set up tubeless. The thing is a rocket and has caused me to park my S-Works Epic 29er :-)

mtbr member
    My first mod was putting on Carbon bars. Really helps take the edge off of the small bumps.
    14 Aurum, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdz View Post
    I have upgraded by Fatboy with carbon bars and seat post, XX cassette, Wolf tooth 1x 30T sprocket, Ti railed Phenom seat, X9 shifter and set up tubeless. The thing is a rocket and has caused me to park my S-Works Epic 29er :-)

lol to funny....I have my s works epic 29er sitting also as I am really enjoying this fat boy....only thing I miss about the epic is the 10lb weight shed. I need to drop some lbs.....how did you do the tubeless setup on your fatboy? I would like to try that but I am not seeing a robust setup yet(atleast from what I have heard). What is the weight of your setup now?

Loser
    I did split tube tubeless on my Fatboy. It was pretty dang easy to do (I did have to put a strap around the tire to get it to start taking air and move out into the bead seat). I had one tire go flat when I went to a really low PSI on snow then I rode it on rocky terrain at the bottom of the hill, but other than that its been perfect.

I ran the Ground Control tires in the snow and moved over to Floaters now - both have worked well - I haven't even had to add air to the Floaters in 3 months of riding them tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Enjoyed a very interesting ride on a spec fat boy today. I suppose it is a medium as they show only 17.5 -S on the sticker. The spec tires are advertised as 4.6" but actually were about 4.2" inflated at around 10 LBS. The LBS said the geometry is heavily influenced by Specialized's road bike design and I noticed this throughout my demo, as the seat was way up in the air compared to the handle bars. (Iam 5.10" and set the seat to about 30+" an inch or two higher than I ride my Fargo due to the low handlebar position) seat was maybe 4" above bar height, which placed me in a perfect riding position to watch the trail immediately in front of the tire - good to see ruts, rocks and stuff on the trail, but to heads down to scout pedistrians walking dogs out in front. Almost ran over a woman and big lab trying to walk the same 4" dirt track I was following, which was a big wake up call for craning my neck up to look ahead of the bike a lot more. Ala riding in the drops - but without the drops... LBS said maybe riding a large would raise the front end a couple of inches which would lower the seat height and make it easier to see!

Other negative was a LOT of heel strikes on the chain stay- left side. The chain stays are formed wrong in my opinion - they flare out way to soon. I finally adjusted my left foot outward an inch or more on the pedals so my left heel would clear the frame. This wider stance caused some shin and knee discomfort so may be troubling for me personally, as the wide BB is my primary worry, causing debilitating knee pain. Width between outer edge of cranks is 1.5" wider than my well fitted set up on my medium salsa Fargo. Also found the wide bars a tad to wide for my rugged mountain man shoulders, and way to low to the frame to mount mountain drops - my preferred bar style. but they produced a lot of leverage for negotiating tight turns and maybe living through some serious technical downhill. More knarly animals than me could say more about this.

On the positive side, the bike was easy to ride and the bigger tires didn't drag the molten core of the earth along behind the bike nearly as much as 3" Knards I rode a few days ago. I can see potential in the big floaters for off road adventure biking across desert sage or tundra and similar flora and fauna - maybe a better tire for the purpose than the 4" Nates. They are definitely could challenge Bud and lows in Moonlanders for riding the Rub al Khali- desert sands and big dunes of the empty quarter on the Arabian Peninsula. I do plan to ride a large whenever it arrives here in nonfat land as the price is right and would certainly like to see if a large is a better fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hahaha happened to me buddy. Lol. My lbs owner was cool with it though. Now we are doing bluto, i9 hub, tubeless and a niner rdo seatpost. Im definitely going nutz with this format. Its super fun.
    Hiya evercycling,

My local Spec LBS wasn't to keen on adding a Bluto to the medium fatboy he has in stock. Says it would alter the geometry way to much and make it hard to steer. Would be great to hear your experiences with the fork.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Interesting ride report. Sounds like in spite of the negatives you still had fun. Cool! FYI the headtube on the large is 15mm longer. You might ask the shop to throw a high rise stem on for another test ride. I would recommend setting the seat height to the same height as your fargo. I think the closer you can mimic your existing bike in fit the better you can isolate what you like and don't like about the test bike.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalBikeman View Post
    Enjoyed a very interesting ride on a spec fat boy today. I suppose it is a medium as they show only 17.5 -S on the sticker. The spec tires are advertised as 4.6" but actually were about 4.2" inflated at around 10 LBS. The LBS said the geometry is heavily influenced by Specialized's road bike design and I noticed this throughout my demo, as the seat was way up in the air compared to the handle bars. (Iam 5.10" and set the seat to about 30+" an inch or two higher than I ride my Fargo due to the low handlebar position) seat was maybe 4" above bar height, which placed me in a perfect riding position to watch the trail immediately in front of the tire - good to see ruts, rocks and stuff on the trail, but to heads down to scout pedistrians walking dogs out in front. Almost ran over a woman and big lab trying to walk the same 4" dirt track I was following, which was a big wake up call for craning my neck up to look ahead of the bike a lot more. Ala riding in the drops - but without the drops... LBS said maybe riding a large would raise the front end a couple of inches which would lower the seat height and make it easier to see!

Other negative was a LOT of heel strikes on the chain stay- left side. The chain stays are formed wrong in my opinion - they flare out way to soon. I finally adjusted my left foot outward an inch or more on the pedals so my left heel would clear the frame. This wider stance caused some shin and knee discomfort so may be troubling for me personally, as the wide BB is my primary worry, causing debilitating knee pain. Width between outer edge of cranks is 1.5" wider than my well fitted set up on my medium salsa Fargo. Also found the wide bars a tad to wide for my rugged mountain man shoulders, and way to low to the frame to mount mountain drops - my preferred bar style. but they produced a lot of leverage for negotiating tight turns and maybe living through some serious technical downhill. More knarly animals than me could say more about this.

On the positive side, the bike was easy to ride and the bigger tires didn't drag the molten core of the earth along behind the bike nearly as much as 3" Knards I rode a few days ago. I can see potential in the big floaters for off road adventure biking across desert sage or tundra and similar flora and fauna - maybe a better tire for the purpose than the 4" Nates. i do plan to ride a large whenever it arrives here in nonfat land as the price is right and would certainly like to see if a large is a better fit.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

aka bOb
    My Ground Controls come out to 4.5" right on the nuts mounted on 90mm rims and a Bluto set to 80mm will be about the same as the existing fork on a Fatboy. And Shoo is correct the stack height difference from a med to a large is 15mm and looking at the geo it looks like it's close to the Carve and not a road bike, are you really sure this LBS really knows what they are doing?

mtbr member
    Im 5'10 and bought a large, so did my buddy who is the same height. I found it fit better than a medium but it is a tad tall. I installed a 125mm command post and even with the post inserted all the way i cant use the heightest setting. It is a tad too tall! The middle and low setting work geat so I use it as pedal and descend positions.

I had a Carve not long ago and ran a 120mm fork on it and loved it. Since it has the same Geo as the Fatboy, i plan on running a 120mm bluto on mine. I also went with a 60mm stem (stock was 75mm) and I switched to 720mm Enduro carbon riser bars (25mm rise). It gives me my desired riding position.

I use shimano clipless pedals so Ive had no issues with heal rub.

I personally feel the stock geo is a bit too steep and a taller fork would be make it much more capable on the trail!
    14 Aurum, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yep, i did enjoy the ride. Didnt mean to soundto negative, just wanted to layout what my experience was with the bike. I think what I meant to say about handle bar height and riding position is that sitting in the cockpit of this bike seems a lot more like a road bike with the way up above the handlebars, and the bars themselves mounted seemingly fairly low. I am not famaliar with the Carve, but do have an 09 FS stumpjumper, which is a very comfortable bike, yet with a more upright riding stance. Lbs did suggest a riser bar setup, but i am looking for a way to run mountain drops - maybe an On One Midge or a wide salsa woodchipper to support touring and longish days on the trail.

Bdundee, Interesting about your tire width measurements. I measured the bike myself so pretty sure about the 4.2 measure, although only used a tape not calipers, and might not have looked for the outer edge of the knobs. It was a stock build, doesnt seem there could be that much differnce in manufacturing sizes between individual tires - ill go back and measure again...

One thing ive thought about is this fatboy frame is rated 17.5", whereas my stumpjumper and Fargo are both 18". I suspect the large, with the 15mm rise and 19" frame will change my riding stance to more significantly upright position - maybe more neutral seat- handlebarposition. The local LBS is exclusively a spec dealer, although they have only had the fatboy in stock for a week or less, and this is the first one they have seen. So probably they dont have much if any prior practical experience with fork substitutes etc.

Iam thinking about setting up one of mybikes to minic the fat bb width (8" crank to crank) and riding the H@&& out of it to see if my knees will stand up to the wider Q factor- before laying out the big bucks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Just popped on the green one. Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalBikeman View Post

On the positive side, the bike was easy to ride and the bigger tires didn't drag the molten core of the earth along behind the bike nearly as much as 3" Knards I rode a few days ago. I can see potential in the big floaters for off road adventure biking across desert sage or tundra and similar flora and fauna - maybe a better tire for the purpose than the 4" Nates. They are definitely could challenge Bud and lows in Moonlanders for riding the Rub al Khali- desert sands and big dunes of the empty quarter on the Arabian Peninsula. I do plan to ride a large whenever it arrives here in nonfat land as the price is right and would certainly like to see if a large is a better fit.

From your description, it sounds as though the problems you encountered have more to do with the bike fit that with the geometry of the bike itself, particularly your comments relating to your posture, seat height and shin and knee pain. These are all symptomatic of an improperly fitting bike and most likely have little to do with the fundamentals of the bicycle itself. If you were to have been professionally fitted and had the appropriate seat height, bar rise and stem length for your body's size and mechanical dynamics, I suspect your impressions might be quite a bit different. Everyone's fit is different, similarly, not every bike is assembled to the same basic fitting dimensions.

Loser
    I'm 5'11" with a long inseam (34.5), I bought a Large Fatboy, after putting on riser bars and a riser stem I find the riding position to be perfectly fine, I don't notice it to be more "road bike" than my other mountain bikes. I do think that Specialized missed the boat on the front end of this bike - at a minimum the handlebars should clear the top tube! I understand they are shipping them with spacers now, mine came with no spacers, so I couldn't adjust them without getting a new stem and/or bars. I wouldn't expect bike shops to know too much about this bike. I talk to a lot of people and I think the best source of information about fat bikes (Specialized or other) is right here on MTBR.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast