Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Sup
    Specialized Fatboy-04.jpg
    Yeah, well..."Thunder"? What's he talking about, "Thunder"?
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Designing a new frame, even using a CAD program, and getting it fabbed up and test riding it, without instrumentation is not the same as using Finite Element analysis of the designs to test them before even making a prototype, and subjecting the prototypes to fatigue testing on mechanical implements with full instrumentation, etc.
    FEA isn't something that could only be obtained by the big three. Most CAD software programs have a FEA option that anyone can purchase, and that upgrade would cosst less than 5 figures.

I agree that Specialized has a lot more at their disposal, but the same issue can happen to anyone regardless of how much money they have to spend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi707 View Post
    I must say that I am glad to see Specialized step into the market. This will hopefully bring the prices of some things down for us, especially tires. I am personally not a big fan of Specialized bikes but this looks like a good option for the fat bike market.
    Considering what normal-sized Specialized tires cost, I don't foresee them offering any bargain-basement pricing on fat tires.

FatBike Fiend
    Yeah, that's what I was alluding to. Karma coming crawling.

Schadenfreude aside, looks like a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    I can only base my assumptions on what I have seen for the quality, and performance of each of their products. And from what I have seen of the Surly failures, they should have been caught before a prototype was even made if using Finite Element analysis. None of the common failures I have seen looked like poor workmanship in production could have been the common factor. In fact, I'd bet the guys welding them up could have told you where they were going to fail before the first one did
    We can argue all day about Surly R&D... but at the end of the day it was one year on one model. Tell me that the development of the Moonlander and the reliability of that ISN'T impressive??? They are making a standard 135mm rear hub work with a 4" wide rim and 5" wide tire with a crazy looking rear offset... and literally no complaints of anything in the rear bending, breaking, or cracking.... or really any problems on that frame.

Bla bla bla... anyway... back to the new bike chatter

Bets on the cost of the Spec 4.8" tire? I'm going to guess $139
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I agree that Specialized has a lot more at their disposal, but the same issue can happen to anyone regardless of how much money they have to spend.
    +1 - Just google "Specialized Bikes recall" - Surly has nothing to feel bad about.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Then we poor OG fatbikers will no longer be special. and we will have a sad.

[/QUOTE]

No, then we are specialized..
    Ridin ridin ridin..... raw ti!

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    So the Crave replaces the Carve?
    Yes, there was a naming trademark issue with the Carve. Funny that the letter swap actually works.

fc
    IPA will save America

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Geo? Is this more trail or adventure-oriented?
    The words I heard were "snow racer"
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Re: Specialized Fatboy

Not a huge "S" fan, but the Fatboy is a good looking bike. Curious to see what impact the new rims and tires have on the market.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sigh.

Guys, the tires Specialized is using are the Bud and Lou combo with the name blacked out. That's it. They're not releasing some magical new tire that's going to magically make the tire prices come down. They're using a tire that's already in production.

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by hikernks View Post
    Sigh.

Guys, the tires Specialized is using are the Bud and Lou combo with the name blacked out. That's it. They're not releasing some magical new tire that's going to magically make the tire prices come down. They're using a tire that's already in production.
    Those tires are for the demo bikes only. The new Specialized tires are still under development and will be ready when production bikes arrive. They will be based on the Ground Control tread and should be quite a bit lighter. ETA for this bike is around Christmas.

fc
    IPA will save America

Sigh.

If you actually read the article or any of these post, you would know that was addressed. The preview was with Bud/Lou, They are coming out with their own 4.8

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    they said the bud and lou, as well as the odd tire valve placement were temporary, as these are pre-production prototypes, not the production bikes that will have specialized tires, and some other small changes.
    read the article:Just In: Specialized Fatboy Fat Bike | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    Sigh.

That's on the prototype.

They have stated they will have their own 120tpi tyre, and it will have a tread pattern similar to one of their existing products.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    SILENCE!!!

hikernks knows of what he speaks! He even spells out "sigh" so that we know to be enlightened by his amazing ability to deduce more from pictures than from the accompanying text...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I remember waiting for my Fatty after preordering it from On-One, when they were still showing pictures of prototypes being tested with other tires on them, while they were still working on getting their own tires ready. It was worth the wait then, as the Fatty and it's Floater tires were excellent, and they both helped to bring down the cost of owning a fat bike. It's Almost a year later now, and Specialized is now the one showing new stuff in prototype form. It's a bit higher end than the On-One, so would make a nice upgrade come Christmas.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Sigh.

Last edited by ultraspontane; 07-17-2013 at 12:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfin View Post
    Definitely glad to see the heavy waits throw their hats in such an unsettled ring. We will hopefully see more and bigger clicks up the innovation pole. And their will probly be a bike sometime soon that is just to wide for the general public and it will bomb. But I hope I own one as in the land of 200 days form snowfall to snowfall float is KING IMHO.
    Nice play on words

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That's a nice looking bike, but I'd rather ride my Fatback. And yes, I'd buy a Fatback again before buying a Fatboy...oh man, I hope that SpecialEd doesn't take legal action against Fatback because they have "Fat" in their name. Like I said, I'll stick with my Fatback outfitted with my Epic Designs, I mean Revelate Designs bags

PRETENDURO
    I rode with two guys from Specialized in April of 2013 at some local trails who were testing out two beautiful anodised fatbikes. One was blue, the other was purple. If they offer anodised colours I will for sure purchase one of them.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure Specialized hasn't sold a bike with non-Specialized tires in decades. Surly could probably never produce enough tires to keep up with how many of these bikes will be sold.
    The LPG

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Fatboy

Well today I placed an order and have to wait to see if I can get one from the 1st shipment to New Zealand or the 2nd shipment next year

The name Fatboy has been around for years with Specialized.
    Its been the Name of a line of BMX bikes and of There road tyres for MTB bikes years ago (I think they where 26" x 1.25").

Just have to work out if I go with a Small or a Med? i'm in the cross over point

Pete

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Are they taking orders already?
    Is the MSRP set yet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Did anyone mention that Specialized already made a bike called the Fatboy 5 years ago, that had 24x3.5" tires on 3" front and 6" rear rims. That's right a 24x6" wide bicycle rim. It was a chopper bicycle of course, but that is wider than a Clown shoe by 50%. If someone made a 6" wide tire to go on it, it would be as tall as or taller than the 26x4.8" tires. If someone does go wider than 5", it would probably be best to go down to a 24" rim to keep the overall diameter and weight down.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    fatboy is a stupid name for a fatbike. i hobe harley davidson sues them

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If they include a suspension fork, I'm in.

mtbr member

Specialized Fatboy

They are including a carbon one, that's a step further than most go. I think...they've done a good job.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    If they include a suspension fork, I'm in.
    It has been widely circulated in the industry that Rock Shox will have a fat bike front suspension fork soon. Not sure if it is an exclusive to some company or another, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that for the first year it is out. Rock Shox and Fox will do that if a company fronts the tooling money for a project.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Isn't suspension on a fat bike kind of redundant? Doesn't the low PSI absorb any rough stuff?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The fat tires absorb a lot, but they are still rigid bikes. There is no comparison between my Mukluk and FS 29er. My FS is way more plush. My fattie is more confortable than a standard rigid mtn bike, but it still beats you up.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RYNOFREERIDE View Post
    The fat tires absorb a lot, but they are still rigid bikes. There is no comparison between my Mukluk and FS 29er. My FS is way more plush. My fattie is more confortable than a standard rigid mtn bike, but it still beats you up.
    +1 - 2 trail rides back to back on my Pugs and I feel like an old man. I can ride my FS MTB 7 days a week on the same trails and just feel tired. YMMV depending on what your local trails are like.

Not everyone needs suspension on a fatbike - just like not everyone needs suspension on a regular MTB, but big tires can only deal with so much impact from the trail.

It will be nice to have a production fat fork from RS as an option. I probably won't put one on my Pugs, but if it fits a 29 x 3" Knard comfortably I could see having one for my Krampus.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    This will drive the price of tires down. Specialized tires are manufactured for them by Kenda, Maxxis and CST, if one of them are tooling up to make fat tires for Specialized can their own tread patterns be far behind?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    This will drive the price of tires down. Specialized tires are manufactured for them by Kenda, Maxxis and CST, if one of them are tooling up to make fat tires for Specialized can their own tread patterns be far behind?
    Not necessarily. Innova builds tires for Surly and they don't have a fat tire in their catalog. The only place I see Innova tires is at Walmart.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was excited to see if I could swap over a lot of stuff from my Pugs but it appears not. I'm especially not doing it cuz of the tapered head tube- I just finished a Lefty conversion on the Pugs and I am only switching frames in the future if I can take that with me.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Not everyone needs suspension on a fatbike - just like not everyone needs suspension on a regular MTB, but big tires can only deal with so much impact from the trail.
    This! 100%

If you adventure on your Fatty, or snow ride only, you don't "need" suspension. The tires will take care of it. If you trail ride, you may find the need. I myself see a fork in my future. It is the one thing I find "lacking" in my Fat experience, at times. Granted, I am at that point riding the bike outside its intended usage, but ... but... it's so much FUN!

I wanted to beat the big guys to "market." I need to get back to my fork project.....
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    I think this needs to be posted again? How many times are people going to wonder the same things in this thread... that are already answered in this thread (or the other "Specialized Prototype spotted" thread).

And if I hear "this will drive fat bike tire prices down" one more time in this same thread, I am just going to lose it.

All fat, all the time.
    ^^.....
    deep breath.....calm......serenity now.....lol

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I was excited to see if I could swap over a lot of stuff from my Pugs but it appears not. I'm especially not doing it cuz of the tapered head tube- I just finished a Lefty conversion on the Pugs and I am only switching frames in the future if I can take that with me.
    There are plenty of headsets that allow a normal steer tube to be used with a tapered frame so no worries there. Def make sure to keep the lefty though! they are fantastic on a fatty.

bigger than you.
    Am I the only one disappointed that they're not making a 3.8-4" tire?
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    From my friend at the camp today: Kevlar Bead 4.8" Ground Control Tires.

Quote Originally Posted by hunttofu View Post
    From my friend at the camp today: Kevlar Bead 4.8" Ground Control Tires.
    Posted a handful of times already

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flobukki View Post
    fatboy is a stupid name for a fatbike. i hobe harley davidson sues them
    Pretty sure Harley is "Fat Boy", so they are safe. I wonder if a Specialized Fatboy will encourage the same kind of poseur behavior that a Harley Fat Boy does?

Lord Thunderbottom
    Nope, I also want better trail tires
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member

Nope. I was hoping for that too. Still, more fatbikes of any size will encourage WTB, Schwalbe etc.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    Paging Duggus.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    That's my preferred range as well, but I wouldn't say I'm disappointed. Actually, I'm fairly happy with the tires I have now (Escalators, HuDus, even Larry's). Haven't ridden Specialized tires since the early 90s, so my expectations aren't that high.

Sup
    I bet this is going to drive fatbike prices down LOL
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    This! 100%

If you adventure on your Fatty, or snow ride only, you don't "need" suspension. The tires will take care of it. If you trail ride, you may find the need. I myself see a fork in my future. It is the one thing I find "lacking" in my Fat experience, at times. Granted, I am at that point riding the bike outside its intended usage, but ... but... it's so much FUN!

I wanted to beat the big guys to "market." I need to get back to my fork project.....
    \
    Agreed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    Have you tried the On-One Floater tires? I am loving them for trail riding. I ride mostly single track with alot of chunk and the the Floater tires performs very well. Lots of traction on every surface I have come to.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast