mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Specialized Fatboy with 27.5Plus?

I'm at a crossroads, I know my question is more personal preference but looking for opinions and thoughts. I currently have a Specialized Fatboy with a Bluto at 100mm, I like the bike but don't love it...don't think of ever had a bike i true loved. On certain trails I like having fat tires, but most of the other trails and summer riding its not needed and slowing me down.
    So I'm debating do I buy 27.5+ wheels for my fatboy or a new bike...how does it change the riding characteristics and geometry vs a 27.5plus bike such is the Specialized Fuse? I have noticed that specific 27.5+ bike geometry is completely different then the fatboy.

mtbr member
    The fuse is a hard tail trail bike. That's why it's slack and short stays. The fat boy which I have one now has cross country geo. although I'm getting ready to put a 120 air shaft in my bluto. My other bikes are a 2016 fsr stumpy and a chromag root down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I installed some 650B rims with 3.25" Front and 3.0" on the rear and what a difference in riding and control, much better and easier on the old legs. Now I'm looking at these wheels but waiting to hear back from them since our Fatboy has a 190mm QR.
    [NXT90WD-TS] [Wild Dragon Tri-Spoke] 90mm Width Carbon Fat Bike 26" Wheel Tri-Spoke Tubeless Compatible

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Fat tires won't slow you down much if you have the right fat tire.
    That said on the Specy 29+ is more appropriate due to bottom bracket height.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    650B Height is about 10mm lower than the 29 which is not much and usually I try to avoid big obstacles cause usually my chainring will hit the obstacle before my BB

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Fat tires won't slow you down much if you have the right fat tire.
    That said on the Specy 29+ is more appropriate due to bottom bracket height.
    I disagree. Fat tires offer more traction, but when pedaling on flats, rollers, and uphills that also comes with friction. I expend more energy on the fat bike.

I could put something ultra low profile on the fatty to make it roll as well as a narrower tire, but then I lose the traction average.

That's my experience, based on various XC tires, and mostly FBN fat tires, all tubeless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I said "much" and that's open to interpretation. Obviously they're somewhat slower, or a lot slower depending on the tire. With a fast tire like the Barbi I'm not missing my 2.3" tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash04 View Post
    650B Height is about 10mm lower than the 29 which is not much and usually I try to avoid big obstacles cause usually my chainring will hit the obstacle before my BB
    When the bottom bracket get's lower, so does your chain ring and cranks - just FYI.
    You also might be surprised at how many more pedal strikes you get with 1/4"+ lower BB. Not every rider experiences this, but some do.

mtbr member
    I've learned how to avoid most pedal strikes with my squishy stumpy since I've been riding one for many years. Even though I run 180 crank arms on it with the 150 pike I hardly ever hit my pedals if I do it's usually a graze. With my fatboy I don't think I've hit them yet. But I'd rather put the 27.5+ set up my rootdown or stumpy. Leave the fatboy nice and fat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk