Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

FatBoy/Surly Rim Strip

For those that had their tires off, is the 75mm rim strip going to be too wide or should I get the 64mm strips? I have orange 75mm to put in if it will work fine.

Bob

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The rim strip is just right and can't be less wide because the nipples nuts won't be covered.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ok got that part, thanks. Not having taken mine apart yet I dont know what the stock size is to determine if the 75mm strip is larger or smaller.

Bob

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I tried to get mine tubless but how on earth do you get air in the tire with so much clearance between the GC tire and rim? It is so impossible for me...

Loser
    You have to push the bead onto the seat at least a little to start the sealing process. You can put a strap around the tire to help, but for me it took massaging the top of the tire to push the bead outwards. Once you get the bead at least touching the seat you can get it to start taking air and they will settle in (I doubt you will get it aired up without a compressor). Even after I got air in and up to 20psi, I had to bounce the tire and continue to push on the tire to get the seat to migrate all the way out to the edge.

All that said, I couldn't get the tire to hold air, I could get the tire aired up, but it was flat within an hour or so. I think I'm losing air through the seam. I had to put a tube in before I got to troubleshoot it because I need to get on a ride, I will get it!
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by reig3 View Post
    Ok got that part, thanks. Not having taken mine apart yet I dont know what the stock size is to determine if the 75mm strip is larger or smaller.

Bob
    Air up with a tube, remove tube leaving one bead seated, insert valve, air up with compressor seated bead up, deflate, add sealant through valve core, reinflate. Carry a tube when riding, use it if you flat, and don't worry about all that foam garbage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Air compressor to seat beads is very helpful. I used 4" wide tape cut edge to edge to avoid seam issues.

Loser
    I taped up my front rim with two strips of tape, it wouldn't hold air for more than an hour. I had a ride to go to so I dropped a tube in and a week later I pulled it apart to see what went wrong. I found that the Gorilla tape wasn't adhering to the rim at all. I don't know if I got a bad roll of tape or what but it pulled off so easily and was obviously not airtight. I cleaned everything up, roughed up the paint on the inside of the rim and tried again, same result.

I had an old split tube liner laying around I put that in and aired up with no problems. The bead popped into the seat with a satisfying snap at 20psi.

John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reig3 View Post

Looks like the stock rim strip is 2" wide which translates to roughly 51mm. Based off that, I would probably use the 64mm. Which size did you end up using and how did it work out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Specialized Fat Boy wheel/tire weights and photos

I think I got the 75mm thinking that the rim was 90mm and the 64 might be smaller since it's for 82mm rims. I am at work and don't recall. I haven't done it yet so I can't say if I got the right size. I was going to try for this week.

Bob
    FATBOY
    Carve

Orgasmic Orange Crosstrek

mtbr member
    Bob,

Let me know how the 75mm works out for you. I was thinking about changing mine out as well. I hear you on rim width, it seems that the Specialized rim strip sits in the center "groove" or "valley" of the actual wheel which is approx 2". I've never used Surly rim strips so I don't know if there is any stretch factor. I do know that using a non stretching material such as ribbon causes all kinds of headaches if wider that 2.5" (in terms of wrinkles and getting it flush).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I figured worst case scenario I cut cut it down to size but not add to it if it was too small.
    FATBOY
    Carve

Orgasmic Orange Crosstrek

mtbr member

I was thinking the same thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have some additional tubeless information for everyone. I was lucky enough to not the issues JIsch had with his set up. I used the 4" wide Pegasus Auto leading edge tape edge to edge, trimming it in the corner. Pressed it in by using a tube at 25 psi in warm environment for a day. Removed the tube from one side leaving the bead on the other, put in sealant (Orange Seal in my case), reinflated and it has held ever since with zero issues. This is old news for anyone who saw other posts. The better news is I was riding with about 8 PSI originally and lowered as necessary. Then in the NE we got a lot of snow all at once. So I lowered it significantly to be able to ride in this snow. The problem is I had no gage that could accurately tell me the pressure I was using. I just rode to feel

Well I just got the presta valve Meister Accu-gage for 0-15 psi. I checked my rear and it was a hair over the 3PSI mark, and the front was a hair under the 3PSI mark. Here is even better news, I rode last weekend in Bluff Point which was completely dry and all dirt. I rode exactly like I ride any other bike, including jumps. I had ZERO issues with peeling the tire bead off the bead seat, not one burp and no leaking. Though I did have the rims making contact with the ground occasionally, but not enough to damage or leave marks. That is the worst case scenario, I believe, for low pressure fat riding. Now, all that said, don't ride in dry weather with that pressure, the steering takes you where it wants to go, not necessarily where you want to go, but that made it fun and a challenge of a different kind.

Before we had snow I got out on the Fat boy and I think a good pressure for dirt was bout 6-7 to quell the effects of the steering, but that was from a gage that might not have been all that accurate.

mtbr member
    Just a point of interest. Went riding with my mate who has a Moony with BFL's.
    The GC definitely looked a bit wider. I was going to take a photo next to each other, but got distracted with riding

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The 75mm Surly strip fit fine with no trimming. Rode it Saturday with no issues. Only did the front but will do the rear this week also.

mtbr member

Good to know. I was wondering how it turned out.

mtbr member

I'm confused. Are people using the surly rim strip to set up tubeless? Without tape?

There are two types of mountain bikers. Those who are faster than me, and me.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Loser
    While I can't confirm this based on my failed attempts - I think for it to work the tape has to go up the side of the rim so that the tire bead pinches it, the Gorilla tape I have isn't wide enough. With wider tape the sealant can't work its way under the tape and dissolve the stick (or maybe its just the sticky stuff on Gorilla tape that is prone to contamination).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm going on 3 months set up tubeless with gorilla tape and zero issues. I've ridden snow, mud, dirt, rocks without a problem. I haven't ridden the fatboy in a few weeks and checked the tires yesterday and they haven't lost any air. I did not run the tape up the side wall of the rim.

Loser
    I must have gotten bad rolls of tape or something. I tried two strips of tape overlapped in the middle, and up the side, and one strip of wider tape that covered all the holes, but didn't make it up the side. In both cases the sealant eventually got under the tape. In the double strip it was almost instantaneous, with the wider tape it took overnight before losing air. In both cases I brought the rims inside and warmed them up before starting.

In both cases when I pulled the old tape off (in disgust) it came off like a kids sticker comes off the shiny sheet - the adhesion was not good. I cleaned the rims with alcohol each time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Got to hop on a friends fat boy expert while on a 24 mile off-road fatty ride on Sunday. Definitely lighter than my charge and fit nearly as well in size large. But man no man what a difference between an alu frame and my steel frame. At the same air pressure the charge is way more buttery smooth with my v8's compared to the fatboy with gc's. Felt like the fatboy has a shorter wheel base and steeper front end a as well. Very light for the price.

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm not sure why some have success and others don't. The only thing you mentioned that I definitely did not do was clean with alcohol.

Loser
    I only wiped it with alcohol after it failed on the first attempt. The adhesion was ridiculously bad. I figured I'd have a terrible time getting the tape off the rim or at least off the rim strip, it pulled off so easily. I store the tape outside, maybe the cold has affected its adhesion - I brought the tape inside well before starting, so I know it was heated up when I did it.

Oh well, glad it works for some people and I'm perfectly happy with my split tube set up!

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    But man no man what a difference between an alu frame and my steel frame. At the same air pressure the charge is way more buttery smooth with my v8's compared to the fatboy with gc's.
    I often wondered if you could feel the difference in frame materials on a fat bike. I figured with that much bounce you wouldn't be able to feel any aluminum harshness or steel springy-ness. Interesting. V8s are definitely going to have lower rolling resistance than GCs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast