Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Loser
    I need to put my dropper on the Fatboy, I relented to my weight weenie inner self and went for the Tompson post instead. When you hold the two in your hands, the weight difference is pretty shocking.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    May 2004

My successful albeit frustrating experience going tubeless with Specialized Fatboy

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading this thread and spent about 3 weeks converting my Specialized Fatboy Expert rims tubeless. I was able to finally do it, and I'd like to share my experience to save some of you the frustration.

Attempt 1: Orange Seal Fat Tire Kit | Results: Epic Fail

The tape included in the kit was not able to seal the rim at 15 psi with a compressor. It also doesn't appear to be sticky enough. I tried twice, still unsuccessful. Note that I did not put anything else on the specialized rim strip. What I learned from this experience was that I may need the Sillplate foam from home depot that everyone is using.

Attempt 2: Clear Gorilla Tape with Sill Plate Foam from Home Depot | Result: Failed

I place the sill plate foam in the center with the original specialized rim stip on the rim and had 3 layers of tape:2 on the sides, and one on the center. I made sure I covered the tiny holes on the rim. Note that one roll of tape is enough for only one rim. There were no wrinkles and It looked beautiful!. I re-used the Orange seal and was able to air up the tires to 15psi with a compressor. Both tires were flat the next morning with alot of orange stains at the cutouts (orange seal sealant). What I learned this time was that through my various experimentation, the pressure may have been too high and overcame the adhesive.

Attempt 3: Clear Gorilla Tape with Sill Plate AND lower pressure | Results: Success!!!!!

Same setup as attempt number 2: A layer of tape on each side plus the center with the sill plate foam on the center. Here's what's different. I place a tube in each tire and aired it up to 15 psi overnight to compress the foam and tape. I then pull the tube out make sure not to break the seat on the other side, pour sealant (8oz) and apply soapy liquid to the tire sidewall. This is done to ensure the bead will seat at lower pressure. Next, pump the tires up to 10 Psi (IMPORTANT!) with a compressor. with the soapy liquid, you will hear the bead seat. Do the Stan Shake Dance. My rear tire remained aired the next morning, but my front was flat. I pumped it up and it has been fine since then.

I went out for a ride and the tire pressure did not drop post ride. Based on my experience, I believe that 10psi will be the highest pressure this setup can tolerate, so keep that in mind. Good Luck!!

Specialized Fat Boy:  How I went tubless-img_0951.jpg

Loser
    The difference in weight between what you have there and split tube is negligible. Split tube is 100% (definitely exaggerating there) more effective and you don't have to worry about the sealant undermining the tape.

I had a really hard time getting the regular Gorilla tape to stick effectively to the rim - I'm not sure if there's a coating on the rim (I tried wiping it down with alcohol) or what, but that tape just did not want to stick to that rim. I have been running my Fatboy split-tube tubeless without any foam for 4 months now with only one burp failure (running low pressure for snow and ended up on some rocky stuff), even then I could reinflate with my backpack pump.

I don't think the foam is really needed as there is a nice shelf for the bead to hang on once you get it up and over, unlike my FB4 rim that burped all the time until I put some foam in.

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    So, for those rolling this summer, how much stans are we getting away with for a new setup? 2 scoops or 3? X oz? I'm generally a 2 scooper for a new 29r tire, 1 for a remount.

mtbr member

Specialized Fat Boy: How I went tubless

I've been running 6 oz since April, mounted on holy rolling Darryl's, I got my first puncture during a race this weekend, Stan's sprayed out for about 45 sec but it got me through the last lap and I only lost a couple pounds of air

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I followed the instructions at the link below this afternoon on my front tire except for at the end after adding the Stan's I only inflated to 10 PSI instead of the recommended 30 PSI (never went over 20 PSI during any of the steps since the the recommended pressure for the fatboy rims/ground controls are 5-20 PSI). I used the same tape as he used and probably used about 8oz (I know it was .51 lbs) of stans instead of 6oz. That much Stan's was probably overkill because I can really hear it sloshing around inside the tire. It took me about 90 minutes and that was with taking the time to weight things and take pictures. I am hoping I still have pressure in the morning!

Front wheel w/ stock Specialized tubes: 7.83 lbs
    Tubeless without Stans: 6.92 lbs
    Tubeless w/ Stans: 7.43 lbs.

Tubeless Fatbike Conversion Update | Cycles In Life

Some extra weights:
    Rim, Skewer, and Rim strip: 3.33 lbs
    Tire: 3.35 lbs
    Tube: 1.12 lbs

Loser
    I built a new wheel for the Bluto, so I had to move my Floater over. I moved over the split tube, put the tire on added some Stans then wrapped a ratchet strap around the tire. I went around the tire and pulled the beads out towards edge as much as I could (not much). I was able to get it to air up with a floor pump. I went up to 20 psi and the beads slid out over the ledge with a pop. After a few hours I dropped the tire down to 9 or 10 and its been holding air since (6 or 7 hours). Front to back it took me about 10 minutes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Also forgot to mention I used these red valve stems. They are an exact match on color to the red spoke nipples of the expert.

Amazon.com : American Classic Valve Stems For T/Less Wheels, Anodized Red : Tire Valve Tools : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Pressure dropped from 10 PSI to ~3-4 PSI in about 15 hours. I re-inflated to 10 PSI. I'm hoping whatever slow leak existed was filled by the Stans.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pd4ever View Post
    Pressure dropped from 10 PSI to ~3-4 PSI in about 15 hours. I re-inflated to 10 PSI. I'm hoping whatever slow leak existed was filled by the Stans.
    Very normal, after a ride or two they will probably seal up perfectly. Get that sealant splashing around everywhere.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    Very normal, after a ride or two they will probably seal up perfectly. Get that sealant splashing around everywhere.
    I don't think that should be considered "normal" at all. They should be aired up and good to go if the tubeless setup is good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I don't think that should be considered "normal" at all. They should be aired up and good to go if the tubeless setup is good.
    If this was a specified "tubeless tire and rim, I would agree with you, but we are talking about tape, non tubeless rim design and porous sidewalls. Also, take a close look at specs for that tire. It is NOT even rated for TR or 2bliss. Very often, and think the masses of any tubeless thread here would agree, as well as anyone who has work with Specialized tires, that the sidewalls and even the bead seat area, often "like a ride or two to get the sealant all around to seal all the micro porous areas. It seems to work better than simply shaking the tire for a few minutes. After a ride they always seal better. I suppose if you wanted to shake them for a long while it would seal up just as good. I always shake for a few minutes and rely on the ride to really seal it up.

My guess is after a few rides (a few hours of riding) they seal up fine, given any blatant errors in set up. But if that were the case they would not have held eve 3-4 psi overnight. Hopefully PD4ever will share his experience for all to see if it does work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I had to fill it up again at the trailhead today (about 6 hours after I had filled up last). It had dropped to about 5 PSI. Rode for 2 hours. It seems to be holding now. Will update again tomorrow morning.

Loser
    I wish someone could fix the title of this thread, every time I see "tubless" it bugs me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Specialized Fat Boy: How I went tubless

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I wish someone could fix the title of this thread, every time I see "tubless" it bugs me.
    Tubless tires are real bro. And apparently very expensive. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Earth...151731450.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I had to fill it up again at the trailhead today (about 6 hours after I had filled up last). It had dropped to about 5 PSI. Rode for 2 hours. It seems to be holding now. Will update again tomorrow morning.
    Tire was completely flat this morning. Filled it up to 15 PSI this time (previously had not gone over 10 with sealant only). Going to see if that makes any difference. I have yet to see any Stans come out anywhere so I'm confused on where it might be leaking out.

Loser
    If you pull your tire off you should be able to see evidence of where the Stans has gone. I just pulled apart a wheel done with tape and, while it was airtight before I pulled it apart, I could clearly see where the Stans had made it under the tape - I have no idea if that would have continued or if it was sealed there.

Split tube, easy money, just saying.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm going to give it a few more days to see if I can get it to work. Others have had success so it is possible. Luckily its a very slow leak so I can still ride on it in the meantime. I'll pull the wheel apart later this week if it doesn't seal up on its own between now and then. I should probably also go ahead and order some small tubes just in case I need to go split tube.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    If this was a specified "tubeless tire and rim, I would agree with you, but we are talking about tape, non tubeless rim design and porous sidewalls. Also, take a close look at specs for that tire. It is NOT even rated for TR or 2bliss. Very often, and think the masses of any tubeless thread here would agree, as well as anyone who has work with Specialized tires, that the sidewalls and even the bead seat area, often "like a ride or two to get the sealant all around to seal all the micro porous areas. It seems to work better than simply shaking the tire for a few minutes. After a ride they always seal better. I suppose if you wanted to shake them for a long while it would seal up just as good. I always shake for a few minutes and rely on the ride to really seal it up.

My guess is after a few rides (a few hours of riding) they seal up fine, given any blatant errors in set up. But if that were the case they would not have held eve 3-4 psi overnight. Hopefully PD4ever will share his experience for all to see if it does work.
    bpd, all of us who have done tubeless for years and many miles are doing it without "tubeless" tires, using tape, and on non-tubeless rims. Granted, there is a difference between the thread count tires and I would only do tubeless on high thread count tires. You talk about the "masses" on the tubeless threads. The "masses" on these threads are trying to make their wheels lighter and often want the easiest and cheapest methods. This often makes for unreliable tubeless systems. I agree that the "shake" thing is a bunch of crap, riding the bike is much better. If the setup is so marginal that they don't hold air without Stans then the setup is too fragile and is likely to fail when riding at lower tire pressures out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I agree that the "shake" thing is a bunch of crap, riding the bike is much better. If the setup is so marginal that they don't hold air without Stans then the setup is too fragile and is likely to fail when riding at lower tire pressures out on the trail.
    Agreed, If the set up (tape job) is bad, or the BSD is a loose sloppy fit, nothing will fix it. My experience with those problems has been it will never seal, except maybe with the split tube method. My explanation was more towards the theory it had been set up correctly, but the tires just needed to get the sealant throughout the tire. I find that most tires bleed down air pressure of initial install until I ride them. I have had great luck and longevity with tape and Specialized 2bliss tires, even the Specialized fat tire, but seeing as it doesn't even have the rating of 2bliss, I can see manufacturing varying widely between tires.

Either way I hope it works for him. I was fortunate with my Fatboy and tubeless set up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Tire was flat again. Filled it up to 19 PSI and finally got Stans to start coming out around the bead. Did the Stans shake and filled it up to 19 PSI again once all the leaks stopped. It held pressure for 24 hours. Dropped the PSI down to 8 last night and this morning its still holding. Going to ride it tonight. It looks like the step I was missing was getting the pressure high enough to force the Stans through any leaks on the bead. I was keeping the pressure lower though so it didn't leak through the tape which since I haven't taken the tire off I'm not sure if it did or not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Tire was flat again. Filled it up to 19 PSI and finally got Stans to start coming out around the bead. Did the Stans shake and filled it up to 19 PSI again once all the leaks stopped. It held pressure for 24 hours. Dropped the PSI down to 8 last night and this morning its still holding. Going to ride it tonight. It looks like the step I was missing was getting the pressure high enough to force the Stans through any leaks on the bead. I was keeping the pressure lower though so it didn't leak through the tape which since I haven't taken the tire off I'm not sure if it did or not.
    Hope it works for you. That's bouncing them around while in a ride seems to work better, it gets the sealant everywhere, much better than the shake. I don't remember how much sealant you put in. The first application I used 8 oz, maybe a little more, just to make sure the tire got seal up. Mainly around the bead area and the valve area for me. The sidewalls of my tires were better than expected. The Specialized tubeless valves I used don't seem to seal on the rim that well and any slight movement of them you can usually hear the air leak until the sealant really sets up well. I've had better luck the Stan's valves. As long as your tape job was good, you should be all set.
    Last edited by bpd131; 07-18-2014 at 08:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Still holding at 8 PSI since yesterday morning. Rode on it last night for an hour and a half with no issues. Going to convert my rear wheel to tubeless this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    had a sidewall tear last night that no amount of stanz would take care of. one inch gash in the new knard. i live in sharp rock land. thank god for tire boots! tire rode perfect this am

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    I converted mine this week and it was really simple. I chose to use the Pegasus Racing tape (pg 4 of this thread).
    I pulled off the tire and tubes, alcohol cleaned the rims, applied the tape (no trimming for fit - some stuck out) and then re-installed the tires and tubes for a day. I've found this step key when using gorilla tape on my 29ers, it really helps mold that tape into the rim. Pulled the tire and tubes, and ran a razor along the top edge of the rim to trip off any overhanging tape - super easy trim. Then it was Stans valves in w/cores out, tires on, 3 scoops of Stans per tire, then compressor to seat (i have a modified high flow from the compressor to help with that), it only took 6-7 pounds to seat anyway. Pumped up to 10 and shook/bounced.
    Then the clincher --- RIDE. You've got to get the flex of a ride to get that sealant everywhere. I ended up bleeding off air until I was comfortable over the rocks and this morning, it's exactly where I ended last night.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast