Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    anyone try the nextie wheels yet...I am contemplating getting a set to try out....looks like around a 1000g savings over the stock SLs once you go tubeless...maybe more.
    Why not look at the Nextie threads?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well I scored a wheel and rigid fork from a semi-local MTBR'er. The rim was outfitted with the Pegasus tape. I am really impressed with how well it was stuck to the rim but yet came off pretty clean with a lot of force. It was on there for months. I'm sold on this stuff and ordered 100' of it. The weight of the tape he had installed was 49g. Bomber stuff.

This rim is different than the new one that came on my pro. The vent holes are definitely drilled much further out from the sidewall radius and are easier to cover with tape.

Pretty sweet....almost back up and running.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ok so I just tried going tubeless with my fatboy...

I cleaned the rim inside real good with rubbing alcohol, used the tyvek 2 inch wide with three loops around the rim. I went from the edge of where tire mounts on each side of the rim and then did another loop in the middle to seal off any leakage in the middle....then installed the old tube back to get the bead to set on one side....pulled the tube out, installed my WTB presta valve, put in 4 scoops of stans sealant, inflated tire....shook tire vigorously, then did figure eights with the wheel installed on the bike for 10 minutes, then did about 1 mile of low speed riding.....tire leaks like crazy around the middle area of the rim where there are the cut outs.

What did I do wrong? I made sure the tyvek was sealed down good, no leaks at all from the beaded area of the rims, just in the middle area by the cut outs.

mtbr member
    I'm going to try and set mine up ghetto tomorrow, hopefully I don't have any issues.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2015 GT Grade 105

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I gave my Fatboy rims a light emery then cleaned with methylated spirits waited for it to evaporate and then used a farming tape for sealing plastic bales. Its 95mm wide and was perfect for the rim. I then put the tubes back in for a day. Un-beaded one side removed the tube and installed the tubeless valve. 3 cups of sealant (home-brew) then blew tyre up with air gun with the un-beaded side down and sealed quite good. First big ride I got a big stick through the ground control tyre. Patched it but was a wee bit disappointed with the drag of the tyres so I got a set of Hi-Billies and installed them using the same method. Really pleased with how they roll in our conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ok so I just tried going tubeless with my fatboy...

What did I do wrong? I made sure the tyvek was sealed down good, no leaks at all from the beaded area of the rims, just in the middle area by the cut outs.
    No pro here but would like to help if I can.

From my experience there are two different rims being produced. My 2015 Pro came with rims with the "vent" holes drilled right at the rim sidewall radius, IN the bead retaining channel. The used 2014 rim I bought has the "vent" holes drilled ~.25" inbound. Taping up (and out?) the sidewall of the rim is required on the newer 2015 rim to ensure those holes are dealt with properly.

Those holes would cause leak at the center cutouts and not the beads.

I found it important to go with one continuous layer of tape wide enough to span the rim, even up the rim sidewalls, with enough slack in the center (cutout area) to allow for some bloat to the rimstrip when inflated. Like a tube does. The less seams inside the tire the better.

4" wide tape is good. I know many others have done with less too... Faults at seams and overlaps will cause leaks at the cutouts

So, you are trying to laminate the entire inner surface of the rim, right up (and out even) the rim sidewall, with as few seams/overlaps as possible. Pegasus 4" tape does this. After the tube step it looks formed as if the rim has been coated by dipping...

This tape mimics split tube real well. If split tube is out of the question that is.

If the Tyvek tape is as thin as some others I've used, in house construction, you may have a simple burr problem punching small holes at those "vent" holes too.
    Last edited by Stephen Kunkel; 09-09-2014 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Burrs

mtbr member
    May 2008
    it doesnt look like its leaking from vent area...my vents were about middle of the ridge of the rim and I made sure to press the tape down real good over the whole rim, especially in those areas...the air is all leaking from the middle of the rim area where the cut outs are at.

djrez4
    Tyvek is air-permeable. Not a good choice for tubeless.

mtbr member
    Just set my front tire up ghetto, no issues at all. It was surprisingly easy. Seems to be holding air just fine. I will set my rear up on Thursday when my LBS gets more Stans.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2015 GT Grade 105

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I gave up...I bought the q light presta 2.7 tubes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well then giving up FTW. You're tubeless. Sounds like a success story. From what I saw the tape only saved me some 60g per wheel vs split tube. Hardly a difference at all if any.

Either way I'll never ever inflate my tubeless to 19psi again no matter the rim seal method....lol.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Kunkel View Post
    Well then giving up FTW. You're tubeless. Sounds like a success story. From what I saw the tape only saved me some 60g per wheel vs split tube. Hardly a difference at all if any.

Either way I'll never ever inflate my tubeless to 19psi again no matter the rim seal method....lol.
    I just put the q light tubes in my FB today...Im now to 27.2lbs for a Large. My XX1 setup should be installed by next week so I may dip below 27lbs. these tubes were 229grams.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I just put the q light tubes in my FB today...Im now to 27.2lbs for a Large. My XX1 setup should be installed by next week so I may dip below 27lbs. these tubes were 229grams.
    Wow that is very light! What are you running in there? Helium?

I'm working on a crash winter diet parts list right now. My Fatboy Pro M sits at 31.4lbs (Feedback Sports scale) now with tubeless. Gonna scratch the Bluto (got the stock used fork and 907 hub), Command post, stock bars. Already have the Next SL, 1x11, XT Brakes, XO, trigger shift with stock rims, tires and taped tubeless at 64g plus 100g sealant.

With all that I am wishing for...spending my lucky coin for 27 lbs. I don't know how you guys do it or my math is very wrong.

Hats off to you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I got my rigid fork fatboy down to 26.8 lbs with Thomson Masterpiece post and Ti rail henge, easton carbon bars, RF Next SL crank with DM ring, custom wheels I9 Torch hubs, cx-ray spokes, LB carbon rims set up tubless, candy ti axle pedals, MT6 brakes, full XX1.

Now I have the Bluto on and its 29.5. But it's so worth it for me and where and how I ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    What's the lightest tube available for split tube use? I used a 24" Q-tube I had sitting on the shelf and it set up as easy as any tubeless bike I have done. Popped right on and been working great.

Now I'm just wondering if there is a lighter tube that would work until I find some carbon rims for my Pro.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    I got my rigid fork fatboy down to 26.8 lbs with Thomson Masterpiece post and Ti rail henge, easton carbon bars, RF Next SL crank with DM ring, custom wheels I9 Torch hubs, cx-ray spokes, LB carbon rims set up tubless, candy ti axle pedals, MT6 brakes, full XX1.

Now I have the Bluto on and its 29.5. But it's so worth it for me and where and how I ride.
    Thank for this, BPD!

It was good to meet you last week. I mysteriously became ill with gram fever though.

Think I'll need a few more lucky coins to get where I would like to be weight wise.

Is that 29.5lb with your single speed setup?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thank for this, BPD!

It was good to meet you last week. I mysteriously became ill with gram fever though.

Think I'll need a few more lucky coins to get where I would like to be weight wise.

Is that 29.5lb with your single speed setup?
    That was XX1 geared. I actually didn't weigh it when it was set up as a SS. For the SS I chose a SS type of chain, so it was heavier. My guess Fatboy as above except SS would be around 28 lbs.

Good to meet you too. Good luck with gram fever!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    No pro here but would like to help if I can.

From my experience there are two different rims being produced. My 2015 Pro came with rims with the "vent" holes drilled right at the rim sidewall radius, IN the bead retaining channel. The used 2014 rim I bought has the "vent" holes drilled ~.25" inbound. Taping up (and out?) the sidewall of the rim is required on the newer 2015 rim to ensure those holes are dealt with properly...
    Do you have any pictures of the two? On Spec site it lists the rim for all 3 models as the Fatboy SL, not just the pro. From pics I've found online I can't see the difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    Do you have any pictures of the two? On Spec site it lists the rim for all 3 models as the Fatboy SL, not just the pro. From pics I've found online I can't see the difference.
    Sure here is the rim off the Pro. The holes are positioned right in the radius. I suspect they were relocated there or added grip but it's just an uneducated guess. I don't believe this change is related to the Pro at all. It is a definite change that adds a twist to taped tubeless though.

I don't have pics of the used rim I replaced it with but all the other pics in this thread are just like it.

I always take Specialized specs with a grain of salt too. They list the 11speed Pro as 11-42 but in reality it is 10-42. The LBS gave me props for knowing that before hand... lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fat Boy:  How I went tubless-dsc01114.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
    Fail.

The tires were holding air but I decided to dismount them to have a looksie.
    It appears that the Stan's doesn't agree with the gorilla tape glue. Mostly, the tape was sealing just fine to the aluminum rim. There were breeches where the sealant got underneath the tape

I thought about redoing it with two layers of tape that would span the entire distance, but then there is still a seam where the Stan's could penetrate.

I went ghetto. It wasn't worth messing with the tape anymore. I'm sure it works for some, but I didn't feel confident with it.

In haste, I promptly sliced an inner tube to do the ghetto fix when I realized I cut a 26" tube. No bueno. I forgot you need to start with a 24" tube. Back to the store for 24" presta tubes. All they had were stupid thick down hill tubes, but at this point I gotta get it done.

Here's the filleted 24" tube

Of course, it ends up with these flaps.

I know it's going to be more difficult to service, but I couldn't stand the flaps so I did a circumcision. The flap strips came to 140 grams per tire.

This *should* take care of it. I'll let you know.
    Did you use the q tubes 24 2-4-2.7 or the 1.95-2.125 tubes?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I didnt pay attention to how people did the split tube method and just botched a tube....I didnt realize you had to pinch the tube between the beed of the tire and the rim. If that is the case Im not doing this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I didnt pay attention to how people did the split tube method and just botched a tube....I didnt realize you had to pinch the tube between the beed of the tire and the rim. If that is the case Im not doing this.
    Just because I had two bead failures doing it means nothing ('cept to me). Hundreds, if not more, have had great success going split tube.

Curious on what you thought was the process? Just laying the split tube inside the tire?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just because I had two bead failures doing it means nothing ('cept to me). Hundreds, if not more, have had great success going split tube.

Curious on what you thought was the process? Just laying the split tube inside the tire?
    I thought that the split bead would lay flat up to the bead of where the tire met the rim...no overlap...I didnt realize that the split tube had to get pinched between the rim and tire bead...I put a new q lite tube in my fatboy and im going to run it. On another note I found the tiniest hole in my first q lite tube...I wanted to see if I could repair this tiny hole with some RC car CA glue...sure enough it worked. I glued it back and rode 25 miles of XC riding the past few days on it. that tube will not be my spare.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I thought that the split bead would lay flat up to the bead of where the tire met the rim...no overlap...I didnt realize that the split tube had to get pinched between the rim and tire bead...I put a new q lite tube in my fatboy and im going to run it. On another note I found the tiniest hole in my first q lite tube...I wanted to see if I could repair this tiny hole with some RC car CA glue...sure enough it worked. I glued it back and rode 25 miles of XC riding the past few days on it. that tube will not be my spare.
    I see. Well we all live and learn. It was mistake that was 5 bux, unlike mine that was 500+....

Now you know!

Never thought of thick Super Glue for tube repairs

Loser
    Just out of curiosity why is the tube having to be pinched between the bead and the rim a problem? Once it's installed you can trim it so you can't even see the tube.

mtbr member
    JUST started converting front wheel to Scotch "Tough" transparent tape method.

A few thoughts...

If front works, I'll do the back.

Ghetto tubeless is a great option but you still use a tube. The light sticky tape is tempting.

The stock Specialized tube weighs a ton.

The small holes near the rim bead will make this tricky.

Any tape where the tire meets the rim will probably need to be trimmed. Fairly tight fit.

Popped the valve hole with a simple awl from inside the rim.

Put tube back in and hit with compressor to about 10 psi. Pumped up to 14-15 psi with floor pump.

No pop, no ping... Is that normal? The bead looked uniform. I'm not doing 20 psi.

Going to ride it taped and tubed and maybe put wheel in car (in the sun) and use as an Easy Bake Oven.

All goes well, tube comes out. Using 4oz. Orange Seal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Stump 29 View Post

No pop, no ping... Is that normal? The bead looked uniform. I'm not doing 20 psi.

Yes, it is normal. The bead just glides into place You are smart not to lay in twenty. At least not for long.

Mine seated with 15psi

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I had great luck with this tape. I used the entire width of the tape and just trimmed off the excess that was hanging over edge of rim. Thought was bead would help keep tape down. First try I trimmed tape way down but the stupid holes on the specialized rims caused leaks. Tires have been holding psi for a week and I took it on a hard ride this weekend with zero issues. Total weight savings going tubless is: 1.4lbs. Thanks for the tip on the tape!

Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    Sure I used this tape: Part number 3323-4 Black Leading Edge Tape, 4 inch x 100 feet, 11 mil Thickness from www.PegasusAutoRacing.com. It is NOT 11mm wide, it is 11mils thick and it is 4 inches wide.
    I trimmed it close to the top of the bead and because it was stretched on initial taping, the edge popped in to BSD and rode up the edge (bead lock area) a little. I believe how up the edge is irrelevant as long as it is beyond the BSD.

The theory is not that much different than using a tube, except for the separate stem, which doesn't matter, as long as the tube has a removable core for future sealant charging. This tape is thick and heavy. 110-130 grams for the rim. I am not sure what a split tube weighs.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Dudes, ditch the gorilla tape. Its heavy, and doesn't stick to anything!

Use this:
    Name:  5GKD7_AS01.JPG
Views: 1280
Size:  18.7 KB

I wrapped the left edge, center, right 2 wraps, center, then left again, in one continuous run. Put the tube in at 20psi overnight. Then remove tube, install valve and sealant, profit.

Fatboy expert. So far I am on week 3 with zero pressure loss.

Good luck!
    Grit, spit, and a w**** lot of duct tape!

Specialized Fatboy
    Stupid question alert... ?

I'm not up to speed on all the lingo, but if i just got one Q-tube or maybe the same size tube that wasn't so "lightweight" and put that in place of the stock fatboy tube would that work for me without having to use stans or orange? I wouldn't be doing anything crazy and I weigh 150 lbs. Just want to lose some bike weight since adding my Bluto. I guess run 10 psi or a bit more? Would i still be in danger of pinch flating or having the tire come off? Thanks for helping out this newb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRS1FREAK View Post
    Stupid question alert... ?

I'm not up to speed on all the lingo, but if i just got one Q-tube or maybe the same size tube that wasn't so "lightweight" and put that in place of the stock fatboy tube would that work for me without having to use stans or orange? I wouldn't be doing anything crazy and I weigh 150 lbs. Just want to lose some bike weight since adding my Bluto. I guess run 10 psi or a bit more? Would i still be in danger of pinch flating or having the tire come off? Thanks for helping out this newb.

When ever you use a tube it is not likely to have the tire come off the rim(I have seen the tube come out the side wall but its rare) As the tube is pushing the tire into the rim hook. You are fine to do that, but keep in mind that no matter what type of tube you run you are always as risk of a pinch flat or thorn. I would still suggest using some sealant if you ride in no mans land or have sections with thorns. I run normal fat bike tubes in my fat bikes and have had my homebrew and stans fix me right up. Its normally due to a thorn as the fat bike tubes are so thick they are a bit more burly. The only thing that will happen to you is if you run to low of PSI your tire might suck its self in some and you will wear down the side wall so just make sure to check the tire is mounted evenly at really low PSI's

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Brainstorm

Guys, I just had a wild idea and am hoping someone here has enough hootspa to try it. Dont beat me up if you think this is completey stupid, K.
    Here goes. After taping a freshly cleaned rim and seating the tape with a tube in the tire, remove the tire and then spray the inside of the rim with Plasti-dip. It's a rubberized spray paint of sorts and would seal over top the Gorilla tape or whatever you chose to use. Let that cure for a good day and that should prevent seepage of the Stans under the tape. Then lube it good before slipping on your tire before the final seating so as not to tear the sprayed film.
    Last edited by 2BrownDogs; 12-26-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added hyperlink

Specialized Fatboy
    ^ Was thinking about something like Flex seal or Plastic Dip maybe to seal off the tape from the stans although don't know how either would interact with the gorilla tape or stans.

Ok, cool thanks Ian0789. May end up going with some surly tubes anyway.

mtbr member
    Word of warning
    My mate split tubed his almost new tyres. All good.
    Did my much more worn tyres yesterday, put same pressure he did his with in one of mine
    to set bead and it blew off the rim. Bead was ruined.
    Edit
    Just went over to put Stans in the other tyre, we left over night aired up
    Flat and bead stuffed. F&@k
    Last edited by Twimby; 12-29-2014 at 01:21 AM.

mtbr member
    You guys have to go easy on the pressure. I try not to air my tires above 15 psi, nor do I leave them that way for very long. I get them just high enough to seat the bead and then I lower everything to below 8 psi. The rims themselves are only rated for 20 psi. The higher pressures just stress out your tape job unnecessarily.

When I taped up my rims, I just took my time and was very careful to keep the tape smooth, particularly in the areas of overlap. Right now I am running 3 wraps of standard width Gorilla on the front (left, right, & center) and I am running a couple of wraps of 4" wide Nashua duct tape on the rear. Both weigh in at 110 grams of added tape per wheel. Both taping methods have been reliable while running 4 oz. of Orange Seal since October. In fact I think you could get away with 3 oz. if you really wanted to shave more weight.

I am convinced that the key to success is a quality tape job. If you rush things and do a messy job, you rely on the sealant to fix your mistakes. Ironically it is the sealant itself that will slowly eat away at the tape bond. Finally, access to a heat gun or even a hair dryer can help smooth out and better seal your tape. I actually used my wood stove one night to help cure the tape bond before adding sealant. I also skip the tube seating method and just use my air compressor. If you are careful, you can seat both beads of the Ground Controls in one shot. I remove the valve stem and simply use an air nozzle pointed right into the valve on the rim to quickly inflate the tire. Once both beads seat, I put the valve back in and bring the system up to my desired pressure.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

Specialized Fatboy
    Quote Originally Posted by NRS1FREAK View Post
    Ok, cool thanks Ian0789. May end up going with some surly tubes anyway.
    So I ended up going with Specialized 26x3.0 tubes it worked just fine, no issues. I don't have any desire to try and fiddle with tubeless now. Thanks for the info again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Another happy new Fatbike (Expert) owner, with successful (so far) tubeless conversion. First, some measured data, for size large.

Bike as delivered, with flat pedals: 14.49 kg (31.4 lbs)
    Complete front wheel, with tire, tube, skewer: 3.54 kg
    Complete rear wheel, with tire, tube, skewer, Sunrace 11-36 cassette: 4.17 kg

Speccy Ground Control tire: 1470 g
    Speccy 3.8-4.8 tube: 540 g (avg of 2, and less than others have seen)
    Sunrace cassette: 350 g
    Bennies flat pedals: 430 g

My history:

Tubeless attempt #1
    3M 8898 tape, 48 mm wide. I tried one wrap down the middle, then one on each side, covering the vent holes. Mounted a tire and tube to compress the tape, deflated, broke the bead on one side, put in a Stans valve stem and sealant. Aired up with a compressor (and Presta inflator) to about 15 psi. Held pressure for about 10 minutes, with lots of sealant leaking out along the rim strip.

Tubeless attempt #1.1
    Same as above, but with a second wrap of 3M tape down the middle, overlapping the 2 side wraps. Tried to be patient and careful taping. Same result as above. Noted that when pulling the tape off the rim, plenty of Stans got between the layers.

Tubeless attempt #2
    4 inch leading edge racer tape from Pegasus. One wrap with about 4 inches of overlap at the valve. Note: this much tape weighs about 20 g. While taping, I pushed the entire 4 inch width into the rim, so that the tape extended up the rim sidewall, but not above. This let the tape fit into the inner rim recess. I was careful to work the tape adhesion at the overlap. Use the same routine, first mounting a tire and tube, and then switching to a Stans valve stem and sealant. This time the tire mounted instantly and either zero sealant leaks (front), or one little bubble at the bead, that sealed quickly (rear). Aired up to 12 psi (very happy to have the compressor with these big boys). Went for a 30 minute ride and loved it. Checked the pressures 2 hours later: no change. Went for another ride, and then parked overnight. Next morning: no change.

Hoping not to jinx myself, but I think I got it. New data:

Complete front wheel, with tire, tape, sealant, skewer: 3.27 kg (270 g less)
    Complete rear wheel, with tire, tape, slnt, skwr, SRAM XG 11-36: 3.66 kg (510 g less)
    Complete bike, with XT spd pedals: 13.62 kg, 30.0 lbs (870 g less)

Bottom line: get the 4 inch tape, so that seams are minimal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    bkrantz, good write up, Thanks for taking the time

mtbr member
    Both of these wheels seal. Specialized Fat Boy:  How I went tubless-img_20150119_084442060_hdr.jpgSpecialized Fat Boy:  How I went tubless-img_20150119_084412343_hdr.jpg

The black one is Gorilla tape, 3 wraps - left, right, center, singlelayer. The silver one is 4" Nashua duct tape, 2 layers - first layer up the sidewalls, second just to the edge.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Follow up report: since my last post, each tire lost some pressure once, but was cured with another 2-3 ounces of Stans, followed by some riding time. For the past week, the bike has been sitting still, and both tires are holding steady at 10 psi.

mtbr member
    Perhaps not the right thread, but my fat bike ballooned up to 45 lbs, used TommySea tires and heavy tubes as well as the usual addons such as bottle holders, pumps etc. It became almost unridable for an old man like me. I pulled all the stuff off, remounted the Ground Controls with lightweight tubes, still ended up at 35lbs. I do have a 120mm bluto, and the change in tires and tubes saved nearly 10 lbs. But with a nearly stripped fatboy, any suggestions on lowering the weight, particularly the rolling weight?
    Thanks, I am on a budget so the obvious solutions may not be an option unless the missus is willing
    Thanks,
    FGO

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What is the best tire pressure to run on dry single track?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you have way to weigh things start with the front wheel and tire assembly minus the Blutoaxle. At 35# you are on the heavy side still. Are you sure the tubes were light? Ineven used the heavier split tube method.

Tubeless, with Haven carbon bars I'm just an ounce or two over 30#. Mine is a medium. On mine it would take heavy stock tubes, a heavier seat, and some pretty massive pedals to get all the way to 35#. Are you sure the weight is accurate?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrna1 View Post
    What is the best tire pressure to run on dry single track?
    I use 7 psi for dry single track, sometimes up to 8 in the rocky stuff. That's enough to take some of the tire steering effect out, but still makes a comfortable ride. I'm 165 pounds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Interesting to read how careful some of you guys are airing up your tubeless tires initially. I've run mine up to 30-35 to get them to seat perfectly and thought nothing of it. I am assuming you guys are spinning them and they are spinning straight and true? I have never had much luck getting them to seat perfect and spin 100% true unless I ran 'em up initially to at least 30 to start with. However, with my current wheel set-up I am not sure what the bike shop did, because they set it up for me (Hed's) so perhaps those will require much less, I don't know. But on my "old" aluminum rims, I had no fear plugging in 30 to start with.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrantz View Post
    4 inch leading edge racer tape from Pegasus. One wrap with about 4 inches of overlap at the valve. Note: this much tape weighs about 20 g.
    I measured 1 full wrap of the pegasus tape with a few inches of overlap at 0.19 lbs ~85 grams. I've still got tubes in there to make sure the overlap seats well before pulling the tube and dropping in sealant... will make the switch tonight, can't wait!

mtbr member
    May 2015

delete me

edit: double-post
    Last edited by applen; 05-22-2015 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Double post

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by applen View Post
    ...will make the switch tonight, can't wait!
    Wow what a difference in acceleration & low speed handling. Loosing 2lbs of rolling weight made a much bigger difference in feel than I expected. Bike feels EVEN MORE playful.

I did the front first, aired up the tire before adding the sealant, and it slowly slid into the bead and held air just fine. (used a compressor, but probably could have done it with a pump)

I think the Peagasus tape is perfect.

Here are the #s (Fatboy Pro stock):
    Front Wheel (with Stock tube): 7.52 lbs
    Rear Wheel (with Stock tube): 9.00 lbs

Tube removed, white velcro fatboy rim strip removed and replaced with 2 wraps of WIDE green electrical tape (not sure what the drop in weight is there but I'm pretty sure the electrical tape is lighter)
    Added 1 wrap of Pegasus tape (~.19 lbs / ~85 grams), ~6oz of Stan's (~0.35 lbs / 160 grams), and valve stem (also didn't weigh).
    Front Wheel: 6.74 lbs / 3057 grams (all front wheel measurements do NOT include the Bluto through axle)
    Rear Wheel: 8.32 lbs / 3770 grams

Front Wheel loss: 7.52 - 6.74 = 0.78 lbs / 354 grams
    Front Wheel rotating mass loss: 7.52 - 6.74 - 0.35 = 1.13 lbs / 512 grams

Rear Wheel loss: 9 - 8.32 = 0.68 lbs / 308 grams
    Rear Wheel rotating mass loss: 9 - 8.32 - 0.35 = 1.02 lbs / 463 grams

Total weight loss: 1.46 lbs
    Total rotating weight loss: 2.15 lbs

So that is loosing over a pound of rolling weight per tire (stans shouldn't affect accleration/deceleration of wheels)!

After riding it a bit myself and letting a bunch of other people ride it as well (few folks at the shop then roomates when I got home), I aired it down to 8 psi front and 9 psi rear (still a bit higher than i was running with tubes - I weigh 190 lbs).

I'll update this thread if I loose any pressure.
    Last edited by applen; 05-29-2015 at 01:26 PM. Reason: got front wheel weight & updated weight calcs

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Well, it's a little embarassing to keep replying to myself... but I hope this information will prove useful one day..

Quote Originally Posted by applen View Post
    I'll update this thread if I loose any pressure.
    I did lose pressure, after 2 days. Front was flat. I pumped it back up and it was leaking air slowly at first but did a trail ride on monday and after 40min I was probably below 2psi & had to pull off the trail and put in a tube

The next day the rear was low I aired it back up and a day later it had lost about half the pressure. I aired it up again and it seems to be holding air now... we'll see.

In the meantime I've fixed the front: my tape job was the problem. Sealant was weeping through the overlap in the pegasus tape. The trick here is getting out as many of the air bubles as you can in the over-lap: I think it was fine initially but eventually the airbbles started to bleed together and formed a big enough gap/path that the wheel would no longer seal. I think that's why it took a couple days to show itself. I did remember to weight the front tire this time and am updated the above post accordingly.

Hopefully it all holds this time. The difference in ride quality is so great that I am committed to staying tubless, so I'll keep trying till it works and keep ya'll updated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the update- I've been running shrink wrap for my Fatboy tubeless, but would like a more durable option so I can change tires frequently in the winter. I had run several brands of tape and tried two brands of sealant (Stans and Bontrager), but all ultimately failed in similar manners to the problem you've experienced. Please let us know how your redone tape holds up.

Thanks!
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert
    '15 Crossrip Ltd

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast