Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    banned
    Sep 2008
    rep'd!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nice tip.

I am hoping that the new rims are easier to setup 2bliss (if that tips a hat to the spec gods). Also hope their eta is sooner than Dec 5 (which is when cdale's website says theirs are due). Maybe just got 2015 fatboy if that's the case. Yet then I have this potential ordeal with tubeless.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Does it make sense to split tube the stock tube or will that not save much weight when trimmed?

Not the fake Jay Leno
    ^^^nope. You need 24" tubes. They fit nice against the rims. The spesh GCs are really easy to set up ghetto. All I needed was a spray of soapy water around the bead and inflated with a compressor. Didn't even need a strap around the tire. I tried to mount my Fat B Nimbles, but they are too damn loose, so I went back to the GCs.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    No need for split tube. The shop got it right on the third try. Now my 7 and 8 psi f/r feels like too much.

Got done with a few mile ride in some nasty rocky terrain and no leaks to be found. Did a soapy water test on post ride cleaning and all is right with the world.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I will be trying the split tube method after not getting the pegasus racing tape to work. Has anyone gotten the 60 tpi tires that come on the SE model to work? When trying the tape method I was surprised to see how loose they were to work with. Does the tubes thickness help with this? Do I need to add some foam.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Got mine on our 2 x SEs to work split tube without foam. The wire bead tires will seal up fine, but I sprayed lots 'o soapy water and had to use a strap around the tire on my wife's bike, but not on mine. A spray bottle of soapy water is your friend. I was able to pop them on with a floor pump with this approach. I used the same method with the fattystrippers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for the info, did you use the q tubes that were mentioned earlier or something else?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    This is how I got it to work, but with the 120tpi tire. Add foam strip at the center channel to build it up flat. You can get the foam strips from Home Depot at the lumber aisle. They're usually used to seal between concrete and 2x4 (sole plate). Tape over it with clear gorilla tape and don't forget the vent holes. You need to then pump it up with tubes to get one side to seat. Then, remove one side of the bead and carefully remove the tube without break the seal on the other side. Pump it up with a compressor, but keep it below 10 psi. If it airs up, then add the sealant from the valve core. You need half a bottle of Stan per tire. Good luck. It took me 4 attempts.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Quote Originally Posted by piepants View Post
    Thanks for the info, did you use the q tubes that were mentioned earlier or something else?
    Yep, 24" Q tubes. I also use these same tubes when running tubed so it is convenient to have them around. When running tubed, I find these are sturdier than Q tube super light - and they weigh about the same.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234