Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Approximately 1 pound per tire. The tubes are 630-670 grams each. The tape is 100-120 grams plus sealant, which is another 100-120 grams approximately. The sealant weight is very different from tube weight because it flows freely in the tire, so it does not require the same effort to spin up.

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    Hey guys,
    Jisch, I know you ride Case MTN, so you probably live close to me, I think I have enough to do at least one and probably two wheels if you want to try it. You can replace it at a later time, as I should be all set for at least this season.
    Thanks! I'll give this Gorilla Tape one more shot, I didn't think I needed to go up the side of the rim, but that seems like a good idea that could help.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post
    By the time you do all that, how much weight are you actually saving?

OP great post once again, I have learned a lot.
    Not trying to save weight. Better ride and no flats.

mtbr member
    Great threadů Thanks! Can't wait to try a fat bike tubeless conversion.

mtbr member

Specialized Fat Boy: How I went tubless

Ah, thanks guys

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for posting this step by step conversion. I followed it and it worked on my tires (i own a fatboy too). the difference is i taped both sides near the edge of the rim, then third application of the gorilla tape was the center. And as what as you described, put back the tubes to cure/seal the tape into the rim. Also, some differences, i just sandpapered the holes, smoothing them and I applied the gorilla tape to those holes too. On the last step of blowing up the tires, I used CO2 Cartridges, mostly 20gms, you need some instant/powerful blast of air for those suckers to blow up thus sealing those beads. Again, thanks man for the post,it was worth the try. Props to you!
    2013 Niner Air 9C
    2014 Specialized Fatboy
    2013 Specialized Carve SL

mtbr member
    Interesting, let us know how it holds up

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It held up ok, it's been more than 48 hrs, still at 12psi.

Just to summarize, I followed the the instruction except the ff:
    - i didn't drill on those holes, I just sandpapered it, smoothen it out and apply the gorilla tape to seal it.
    - after taping it (those tapes will run across the edge of the rim, use any blades to cut out edges, rim should maintain flat surface for tire bead to latch on.
    - gorilla tape first both sides and lastly the center.
    -put back the tubes, inflate to 12 or at least for the newly applied gorilla tape to cure/stick to the rim. let it stay for awhile, mine's 30 mins.
    -deflate, remove tubes, attach stans presta valve, all the while not disturbing the tire bead seal on the other side, this'll help pretty much inflate your now tubeless tire so easily, you have no choice but to re-insert your tubes back to reseal it, inflating both unsealed beads is a waste of time, no amount of CO2 can pop both beads that fast to seal it (too much gap)..unless you have a industrial tire pump.
    -apply 6ozs/240ml of stans sealant. screw in tight those valves.
    -inflate, I use CO2 20gms cartridge, it'll pop those suckers enough to seal the beads. prepare to be surprised, haha..
    -wiggle, run, shake, dance or just shimmy with your tire so that all corners/beads the sealant to sip in. you'll hear lots of air sipping or the sealant leaking out, that's normal. wait for a few secs and it'll die down, meaning the sealant is doing it's job.
    -inflate your desired psi using a floor pump.
    -and off you ride!!! no more flats! pure peace of mind...and less weight too. it took of 1.4 lbs off my fatboy.
    2013 Niner Air 9C
    2014 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    What did you lay down in lue of the rim tape (before using the gorilla tape)? Did you use some ribbon and just tape over that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    just straight up gorillla accross the OEM (white) rim tape.
    2013 Niner Air 9C
    2014 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Ah..gotcha thanks

Loser
    I pulled apart my wheel again. I can see that the gorilla tape just doesn't adhere to the rim material.

The 3" tape doesn't go up the edge of the bead (it doesn't even make it to the edge). I got the tire to air up, but it wouldn't hold air and again, I could hear air leaking out from one of the cutouts in the rim, so I knew air was getting under the tape (again).

When I pulled the tire off I could literally slide the tape on the rim in some spots, so Stans got under the tape again. I cleaned everything up with ammonia, water and alcohol again. I then took the 2" tape and ran strips around each side of the rim, so now I have tape running up the edge of the rim. I trimmed it off extra right at the top of the rim.

I aired up by putting a little Stans around the tire and hitting it with the air compressor. The bead made a huge pop when it moved into the bead seat. I got bubbles around the rim, but right now I don't feel or hear any air moving out under the rim strip. The Stans needs to set up, but I think it will seal.

This is the last attempt though, I'm on to split tube if this doesn't work, I'm essentially creating a tube with tape and I'm certain the weight differential between a tube and this much tape is negligible (if there really is a difference).

Loser
    Tire was low, but not flat this morning. I think this one will hold based on my past experience with Stans.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Tire was low, but not flat this morning. I think this one will hold based on my past experience with Stans.
    Your split tube is calling you!

Nuts
    What people need to know is just holding air does not necessarily mean it's a success, it first needs to be well ridden at low psi.
    And I love beer!!

Loser
    I may still have to go there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    What people need to know is just holding air does not necessarily mean it's a success, it first needs to be well ridden at low psi.
    What he said!

Loser
    I agree! I've done 3 (now 4) fat tires tubeless and countless regular tires. I can predict pretty well whether the tire will be a success. We are probably at the end of our "low pressure" season here, so I won't get to test these under 7 or 8 PSI until next winter - all that to say I might not be the best test subject on whether this is successful (though I know split tube is successful!).

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    And then, it needs to be ridden at low pressure in extreme cold, which many aren't successful at.

mtbr member
    What size tubes do you think would work well on the FatBoy rims to go split tubeless with?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I don't have a fat bike but am fat curious and have done some 26" ghetto tubeless setups. I highly recommend schwalbe tubes. Because their cores are removable even in Presta and Schrader valves are fully threaded.

For a fatty i read that a 24" mtn tire hugs the rim well and splits open wide enough. So, schwalbe AV10 add should work great.

mtbr member
    Q-Tubes 24X2.75 presta with remove able core work very well. I use these on Clownshoes. Simply trim off the excess when done for a clean look.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    ... trim off the excess when done for a clean look.
    This was called a circumcision earlier in thread. Why are we not talking about that? Or has this new term (that im now going to use as often as possible) already made the rounds?

Loser
    My Gorilla tape experiment seems to be holding now. I lost most air overnight, which sounds bad, but I could see the Stans had set up and sealed in the bead. I added some more Stans to the tire (on shaking the tire I heard none sloshing around) and aired it up this morning, there was NO bubbling at the bead and four hours later its still at the same PSI. I need to take a solo ride on it to verify its all set, but it looks good for now. I would say that the split tube tire sealed up much more quickly and with less Stans than I used in this tire.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast