Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shanesbw View Post
    See if you can find out if you have a local bike shop that can get a hold of a Chrge Cooker Maxi, they look great and should be pretty good pricing. Not sure who brings the Charge brand to Oz now, used to be Monza.
    Muru do some very nice Ti frames and a custom build would be much more dollars though.
    You can buy the charge at a ton a places, REI being 1 i think 75% of the shops neaar me can get them. Charge was purchase by cannondale also. I was almost ready to buy one and then i rode the KHS 4 seasons and like it a ton more so now i am just waiting on the fatboy since it might be that much better then the KHS. For the $ the cooker is a great ride though.

glowingrock
    May 2012
    Patiently waiting for my pre-ordered Fatboy Expert. Trying to make due with the standard 29er but as you can see from the video, I'm struggling big time!
    Specialized Fatboy Expert, stop toying with my emotions. Where are you? - YouTube

Fat Biker
    ^^I guess you're not on the list to receive one of the 6 Experts arriving next week.
    Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-BlogUpdated when I feel like it or when I get mail

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    We don't have any experts in, but we do have 1 Lrg green Fatboy thats yet to be claimed. Still waiting on our experts...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

My new Fatboy

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?-image.jpg

Santa came early and left me a nice new Fatboy for Christmas!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skr29er View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	16267 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	857112

Santa came early and left me a nice new Fatboy for Christmas!
    Enjoy your new ride! Merry Christmas!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I can't tell from the pics but does the fatboy have mounts for a rear luggage rack? That would be a huge plus for me if it did
    '14 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo
    '14 Specialized Secteur Elite
    '13 Electra Townie
    '07 DK General Lee

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Renurbs View Post
    I can't tell from the pics but does the fatboy have mounts for a rear luggage rack? That would be a huge plus for me if it did
    Yes, it sure does. Mounts on seat stays and eyelets. Nothing on the fork. Does have three sets of water bottle mounts seat tube, top of down tube, plus bottom of down tube.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yes, it sure does. Mounts on seat stays and eyelets. Nothing on the fork. Does have three sets of water bottle mounts seat tube, top of down tube, plus bottom of down tube.
    Well that's it. Gonna order one on Thursday when my lbs opens. He already told me he has one ordered in my size
    '13 Electra Townie
    '07 DK General Lee

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've had a Fatboy Expert on order from the LBS since August. The waiting SUCKS!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by C Vineyard View Post
    I've had a Fatboy Expert on order from the LBS since August. The waiting SUCKS!!!
    Plus 1

mtbr member
    I had an Expert on order...had. I cancelled and my new Fatback should be here next week.
    "I ain't right!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Nice to hear the Fatboy's are starting to arrive. And skr29er - nice pic by the Christmas tree. I have one on order and it is not due to arrive until March 2014. I am in Ontario, Canada.

However. I am looking to get a rear rack for my Fatboy. Of you guys that have their bike already has any one put on a rear rack? What kind?

If no one out there has done this yet could one of you be so kind as to give me some measurements so I can start to see if there is any rack available. I have 2 months to go before I get this beast and the time is killing me, so I hope to pass it by looking for a rack and some smaller panniers to get me setup for some epic day trips.

I am thinking I will need the following dimensions: (click on photo for close up)

1) Outside width of the seat stays at the location of the threaded holes for the lower rack mount. To determine how wide a rack I will need.

2) The height to the top of the rear tire from the same threaded holes from #1 - so I can see what sort of clearance I need (see photo below - #2).

3) Some sort of approximate length from the top of the rear wheel (centred over the axle) to the top mount threaded holes on the seat stays (see photo below - #3).

That, I hope, will give me a starting point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fat Boy ETA?-fatboy-rear-rack-1.jpg  

Last edited by thumpermeister; 12-26-2013 at 09:17 PM.

mtbr member
    It's hard to believe that a big, modern company like Specialized wouldn't know precisely how many bicycles are being shipped along with models, size, location, delivery date, etc. Even when I order small items from China on eBay (etc.) I can track them via China Post online. But they don't know where their $2-3K bicycles are or when they will arrive? Really? Even if they were on a container ship I would assume the shipping company would have a way for their clients to track those shipments just like FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc. If not, maybe they should start. Just some impatient venting.......

Fat Biker
    Can't track a package if it hasn't been shipped
    Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-BlogUpdated when I feel like it or when I get mail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renurbs View Post
    Well that's it. Gonna order one on Thursday when my lbs opens. He already told me he has one ordered in my size
    Good luck. I hope you're a patient person.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyoracerX View Post
    Can't track a package if it hasn't been shipped
    true

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kovickc View Post
    I had an Expert on order...had. I cancelled and my new Fatback should be here next week.
    +1. I think it's going to be a great bike. I just didn't want to wait any more. I have already squeezed in several good rides on my Pug-Ops.

I don't proclaim to understand anything about the manufacturing industry, but I'd love to know what kind of problems kept Specialized from getting this bike out before the Winter riding season.

mtbr member
    unless one magically shows up at my LBS in the next 24hrs, I'm ordering my 9:Zero:7 tomorrow. My friends are riding right now. I am not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This is a joke. I'm a Specialized slappy but they are making themselves look ridiculous with these delays.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C Vineyard View Post
    This is a joke. I'm a Specialized slappy but they are making themselves look ridiculous with these delays.
    Agreed. I have seven Specialized bikes between myself & the family & I'm seriously disappointed. I'm thinking the problem was their decision to use Specialized branded tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yep, pretty hard to trace a shipment that is still sitting in a warehouse.
    The tyres have got to be the holdup.
    Really disappointing when you work for a concept store and still can't get any info from Australian distributor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoo1424 View Post
    unless one magically shows up at my LBS in the next 24hrs, I'm ordering my 9:Zero:7 tomorrow. My friends are riding right now. I am not.
    get the 9 zero 7 you won't be disappointed. Plus you will get great customer service. .. If they still have some in stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What summer trail/all around tires would be good for Fatboy? Might want to test a narrower tire. Better options than Larry 3.8"? Hüsker Dü maybe? How does 3.8" tire work with 90mm rim compared to 82mm rim for example?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by empre View Post
    How does 3.8" tire work with 90mm rim compared to 82mm rim for example?
    I preferred the handling of my 3.8" tires on 65mm rims more than 82mm rims on dirt. The flatter profile cornered weird.

That would be exacerbated on an even wider rim.

I ended up buying 4.8" to use on the 82mm rims to get back to a rounder profile.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Quote Originally Posted by empre View Post
    What summer trail/all around tires would be good for Fatboy? Might want to test a narrower tire. Better options than Larry 3.8"? Hüsker Dü maybe? How does 3.8" tire work with 90mm rim compared to 82mm rim for example?
    You bought a bike with a 190 rear end... you can't go to a narrower tire... it's against the unspoken fat bike decency rules
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    You bought a bike with a 190 rear end... you can't go to a narrower tire... it's against the unspoken fat bike decency rules
    What!? Really?? I was planning to build a set of 700c cyclocross wheels for mine!

mtbr member
    I was going to go with these:

mtbr member
    AS much as I liked this bike, I'm out. Last info I have is "February" - I'm in Alberta.

So, ordered a carbon 9:Zero:7... should be done in 2 weeks. BAM!

Happy riding folks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    ^Wow. If I had the loots for a Carbon 907, I wouldn't even be looking at the FatBoy. Well done.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Added some bling to my Fatboy, next will be to "upgrade" to BB7's I am having some issues with the hydros in sub zero temps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fat Boy ETA?-p-c4.jpg  

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?-p-c3.jpg  

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?-p-c2.jpg  

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?-p-c1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedalicious View Post
    Added some bling to my Fatboy, next will be to "upgrade" to BB7's I am having some issues with the hydros in sub zero temps
    What issues are you having with the hydraulic brakes? Curious why every other brand went with mechanical and Specialized went with hydraulic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Feel free to correct me anyone if I am wrong...

I think traditionally mechanical brakes had been preferred due to reliability (in cold, and wintry conditions, etc.). As Fatbikes were borne of back country trekking and riding hard to get to locales, reliability was major concern. Now that the bikes are being ridden more commonly on local trails, and well populated areas/trails - hydro's are often being outfitted.

Just my observation, it could be a wrong one

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks to the guys posting pics of their bikes. I have one coming in next Monday it looks like. I originally was getting an expert, but Specialized, in my opinion, has blown it with their delays. I am getting the regular one instead. But due to the lower line model, I will be replacing the cranks to save some weight. I have both Raceface Next SL cranks, the one for 170 rear and the one for 190 rear. I am not sure which one to keep. They both work with the specified tire width. The 170 works with the direct mount chain ring flipped and the 190 work with the chain ring mounted as spec'ed. But going with 170 keeps the q factor 20mm narrower if it fits between the stays.

Looking for someone who has installed this crank on this bike to see how it fit.

Also maybe someone can give an accurate dimension of the outside of the chain stays at the crank ends?

Can anyone help?

mtbr member
    So somehow I've went from waiting for a Fatboy to test riding a Carbon Beargrease this afternoon. I'm sure this is going to end well....

Freelance Whatever
    Absolutely nothing could go wrong.... unless you're married... then, might I suggest find the comfy couch and get cozy.
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdownca View Post
    Absolutely nothing could go wrong.... unless you're married... then, might I suggest find the comfy couch and get cozy.
    Actually the wife encouraged me - I've been her caregiver for most of the year as she's battled cancer and she wanted me to get something special. Riding is about the only thing that has kept me sane this year. She wanted to get a Fatboy for my birthday in October, then for Christmas, then she told me the other day to buy something. That kinda currency doesn't hang around for long.

Freelance Whatever
    Well then it sounds like you've earned it. Sorry to hear about the Mrs. Hope all is on the road to recovery.
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sorry to hear about that too. And you're right, spend that currency quick. I also looked at the carbon 907 Whiteout and the carbon Borealis Yampa while getting disgusted with this delivery issue. I was set to order one of them on 12/14 with 2 day delivery. No, I'm not impatient. :-) I think I was going to go 907 when my LBS, who has been great for years, came back on 12/14 and said he would have my Fatboy by 1/1/2014. I decided to give him the chance. He is close with an expected date of 1/3/2014. After all it was not his fault, Specialized, the company, has been misleading the LBS's too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoo1424 View Post
    Actually the wife encouraged me - I've been her caregiver for most of the year as she's battled cancer and she wanted me to get something special. Riding is about the only thing that has kept me sane this year. She wanted to get a Fatboy for my birthday in October, then for Christmas, then she told me the other day to buy something. That kinda currency doesn't hang around for long.
    This is the mark of a real man. Best wishes to you, thoughts and prayers for your wife.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    Sorry to hear about that too. And you're right, spend that currency quick. I also looked at the carbon 907 Whiteout and the carbon Borealis Yampa while getting disgusted with this delivery issue. I was set to order one of them on 12/14 with 2 day delivery. No, I'm not impatient. :-) I think I was going to go 907 when my LBS, who has been great for years, came back on 12/14 and said he would have my Fatboy by 1/1/2014. I decided to give him the chance. He is close with an expected date of 1/3/2014. After all it was not his fault, Specialized, the company, has been misleading the LBS's too.
    is your 1/3 shipment a COMP or Expert? just wondering.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Been waiting a couple months now and following this thread... expected delivery date is Monday Jan 6th (been hoping it would come sooner).... Came across this video and thought some might find it relevant to the tread: Specialized Fatboy Fat Bike Unboxing - YouTube

Keep the pictures coming....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tadraper View Post
    +1 I still haven't heard of anyone getting en expert. My LBS is now saying Feb.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the well wishes. The wife is getting better everyday. It's been a heck of a year, so we are both looking forward to 2014. And I'm ringing it in with my new Carbon Beargrease. Took it for a test ride tonite and it went home with me. I found some snowmobile tracks on my test ride & got stuck slightly in some crusty stuff. I downshifted, caught some solid snow & that thing just accelerated. Reminded me of how my Epic feels when it really takes off. If I was on the fence to that point, I fell off the fence after that. Best of luck to everyone waiting for a Fatboy. I'm sure I'll get a call from my other LBS in the next week saying it's on it's way, but I couldn't hold on any longer. Guess I'm headed to the Salsa Carbon Beargrease First Ride thread now. See you on the trail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    ^Wow. If I had the loots for a Carbon 907, I wouldn't even be looking at the FatBoy. Well done.
    Well... my budget is gone out the foggin' window... not quite doubled, but close.
    Once I had that 907 frame in my hands, it was over... and the wife just bought a fat bike (Norco Bigfoot) last week and she totally loves it - so I got the blessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tadraper View Post
    This is the regular model, I don't think it is technically labeled as a comp, but by Specialized's normal hierarchy, it would be a comp. I ordered the expert, but those won't be in until for the regular riding season in New England starts. I want a fatbike for winter. I am settling for the "comp" and upgrading what I want/need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

I'm happy to see some fatboys show up. Hopefully that means mine will be here soon.
    '13 Electra Townie
    '07 DK General Lee

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks to the guys posting pics of their bikes. I have one coming in next Monday it looks like. I originally was getting an expert, but Specialized, in my opinion, has blown it with their delays. I am getting the regular one instead. But due to the lower line model, I will be replacing the cranks to save some weight. I have both Raceface Next SL cranks, the one for 170 rear and the one for 190 rear. I am not sure which one to keep. They both work with the specified tire width. The 170 works with the direct mount chain ring flipped and the 190 work with the chain ring mounted as spec'ed. But going with 170 keeps the q factor 20mm narrower if it fits between the stays.

Looking for someone who has installed this crank on this bike to see how it fit.

Also maybe someone can give an accurate dimension of the outside of the chain stays at the crank ends?

Can anyone help?
    The chainstay width is 162mm at the end of the crank arms.
    You'll need the 100mm BB with PF30 cups. I'm running the next SL 190mm crankset with about a 71mm chainline with no problems (chainring is concave in).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just curious, what bike shop in Denver?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brianr925 View Post
    The chainstay width is 162mm at the end of the crank arms.
    You'll need the 100mm BB with PF30 cups. I'm running the next SL 190mm crankset with about a 71mm chainline with no problems (chainring is concave in).
    I have the cups and I am in the process of getting the correct inner sleeve, but that is not necessary anyway. How is the Q factor? If you could do it over would you choose the narrower cranks and reverse the chain ring which gives the same chain line? The 162mm chainstay width would more than allow the narrower cranks to be installed, thus making the Q factor 20mm narrower. You probably have a nice gap between the chainstay and the crank, i'm guessing about 15 mm each side. I have one bad knee and don't want knee issues with these fatbike cranksets.

If the Denver question was directed at me, I'm not in Denver. But thank you for this information it is very helpful!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you are going to run a single ring then you want the 190mm crank with the 169mm spindle. This has a Q-factor of 202 and will provide 7mm of cs clearance on each side. This is what I'm running and it works great, the q-factor isn't bad, but if you are coming off of a regular bike you'll notice a little adapting period.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If you are going to run a single ring then you want the 190mm crank with the 169mm spindle. This has a Q-factor of 202 and will provide 7mm of cs clearance on each side. This is what I'm running and it works great, the q-factor isn't bad, but if you are coming off of a regular bike you'll notice a little adapting period.
    This is perfect info. Thanks. I was told by Raceface that the crank arms are the same for each crankset, the only difference is the spindle. The 170mm spec crank has a 169mm spindle and the 190mm spec crank has the 189mm spindle. And to clarify your set up, you are probably running the 1mm spacer on each side of the crank, right? Also is that 202 dimension is to the outside of the crank? And you have the chainring mounted normally (teeth in towards centerline and "race face" name showing on the outside? If so that would be incredible news.

mtbr member
    My friend just told me that his is coming in next week. I understand everyone wanting to jump ship I would have also if I didn't get mine three weeks ago. I'm glad I waited it's a really good bikeSpecialized Fat Boy ETA?-image.jpg

Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Very nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    My friend just told me that his is coming in next week. I understand everyone wanting to jump ship I would have also if I didn't get mine three weeks ago. I'm glad I waited it's a really good bikeClick image for larger version. 

Views:	13038 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	858951

Views:	1017 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	858952
    It is nice to see these out in the wild!!!! congrats on your bike..

mtbr member
    ^What bars are those? Are those stock? They look awesome with the paint scheme.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have a new Green Specialized Fatboy, size Med, I will sell for what I paid. Med is too big, I need a small. Retail was $ 1999 plus tax = $ 2175.00 plus actual shipping to you.
    Last edited by buggymancan; 01-01-2014 at 08:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mdoug View Post
    Been waiting a couple months now and following this thread... expected delivery date is Monday Jan 6th (been hoping it would come sooner).... Came across this video and thought some might find it relevant to the tread: Specialized Fatboy Fat Bike Unboxing - YouTube

Keep the pictures coming....
    As luck would have it, my bike came in early. Picked it up today and have been riding it all evening! It was well worth the wait. Hope all of you waiting get yours soon. Happy New Year!

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?-fatboy.jpg

mtbr member
    As luck would have it, my bike came in early. Picked it up today and have been riding it all evening! It was well worth the wait. Hope all of you waiting get yours soon. Happy New Year!

Name:	fatboy.jpg 
Views:	7251 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	859068
    Congrats. That's a nice NYE present.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Name:	fatboy.jpg 
Views:	7251 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	859068
    Congrats. I'd like to get that news, but no such luck for me. My LBS is getting a med in the Green and in the Black. It sux to have to make a choice, but I think I am gonna go with black.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Mine came in Dec 23. Three rides so far and I am loving it. I bought mine sight unseen. My past experiance with Specialized wasn't good. So far the Fatboy is great.

mtbr member
    ^What bars are those? Are those stock? They look awesome with the paint scheme.
    Thanks, no not stock, they are answers, I was going to put yellow or gold on the wheel strips but think that will be a bit much

mtbr member
    Congrats. I'd like to get that news, but no such luck for me. My LBS is getting a med in the Green and in the Black. It sux to have to make a choice, but I think I am gonna go with black.
    I ordered the green, and black yellow came. I'm very happy I didn't get green. The red and black looks really cool too

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

Woke up this morning with a voicemail from my lbs. They jut got shipping confirmation on a fatboy expert red and black medium... I was #1 on the list (pre ordered late Ausust/early September) and wanted to confirm that I still wanted the bike.

I called back and confirmed that I wanted it.

The shop guy told me this would be the only one coming to our region until March.
    I'm assuming he means the expert in a medium? The gentlemen who called me was calling from home and I didn't want to keep him on the phone long with all my questions... He said he was just going through and trying to sort out the preorders since they had bikes coming in... Not sure how many total fatboys are scheduled to arrive.

The shop got at least one non expert model in (I believe it was green) a few weeks ago and they had it listed for sale on their Facebook page. Not sure if it's sold or not.

I should get a call tomorrow when the store opens back up on a delivery date and a price.

Happy New Year

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That's encouraging!! Rode my skinny 2.35's today and am really anxious to get out on my Fatboy. Hopefully it will be this winter

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Got a question for those that have already received their Fatboy. My Fatboy came with a very short steerer tube. Right out of the box there are only two 5mm spacers under the stem. I have never bought any kind of bike that only had 1cm of spacers under the stem right out of the box. Is this what you have received as well? From pictures that I have seen it looks like this is the case.

The stem is a 6 degree and is also pretty short. Coupled with the short steerer, I am thinking a lot of buyers will need to swap out stem and the flat bars for riser bars. I am 6'4" and with the standard stem and 1cm spacers my saddle to bar drop was almost 10cm. Coupled with the short 70mm stem I felt like I was bending over digging a hole. I generally do ride with some handlebar drop and on the road a lot of drop but this was excessive.

Seems to me that if you are on the fence between frame sizes you might want to go with the larger size. And if you are at the mid to upper range of size for the frame size you are buying be prepared to swap out stem and bars to get to what is likely an acceptable drop. On my other three MTB if have 0degree rise stems and flat bars. On the Fatboy I have a 10degree Thomson stem and some low rise bars on order to get to a fit like my other bikes. If I was a rider that preferred 0 drop like many people that I know I would have had to get high rise bars or something like a 16degree stem.

Not sure why Specialized went with such a short steerer. Could it be because it is a carbon steerer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    yup,
    the bike rides alot better w/ riser bars and a 6 degree 90mm stem instead stock flat bars and 60mm flat stem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Got a question for those that have already received their Fatboy. My Fatboy came with a very short steerer tube. Right out of the box there are only two 5mm spacers under the stem. I have never bought any kind of bike that only had 1cm of spacers under the stem right out of the box. Is this what you have received as well? From pictures that I have seen it looks like this is the case.

The stem is a 6 degree and is also pretty short. Coupled with the short steerer, I am thinking a lot of buyers will need to swap out stem and the flat bars for riser bars. I am 6'4" and with the standard stem and 1cm spacers my saddle to bar drop was almost 10cm. Coupled with the short 70mm stem I felt like I was bending over digging a hole. I generally do ride with some handlebar drop and on the road a lot of drop but this was excessive.

Seems to me that if you are on the fence between frame sizes you might want to go with the larger size. And if you are at the mid to upper range of size for the frame size you are buying be prepared to swap out stem and bars to get to what is likely an acceptable drop. On my other three MTB if have 0degree rise stems and flat bars. On the Fatboy I have a 10degree Thomson stem and some low rise bars on order to get to a fit like my other bikes. If I was a rider that preferred 0 drop like many people that I know I would have had to get high rise bars or something like a 16degree stem.

Not sure why Specialized went with such a short steerer. Could it be because it is a carbon steerer?
    Mine was the same, I already changed to a 90mm stem with more rise and riser bars to make it better. Would have been much better if the fork came uncut so you could set it up how you want. Mine would be a bit taller if I had the option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    S T O P!!!!! You guys are killing me with pics of the bike I have been waiting for since August. I am insanely jealous and sad at the same time. .

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My friend just told me that his is coming in next week. I understand everyone wanting to jump ship I would have also if I didn't get mine three weeks ago. I'm glad I waited it's a really good bikeClick image for larger version. 

Views:	13038 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	858951

Views:	1017 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	858952

Looks really nice with the gold bars! In some other pics of the bike, the stickers look more yellow than gold, but yours look more gold. Are your decals stock and are the decals actually gold or yellow? Still waiting for mine to come in. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRick View Post
    Woke up this morning with a voicemail from my lbs. They jut got shipping confirmation on a fatboy expert red and black medium... I was #1 on the list (pre ordered late Ausust/early September) and wanted to confirm that I still wanted the bike. I called back and confirmed that I wanted it.
    Congrats! I will admit to being envious as there is no trace of my Expert yet.

The shop guy told me this would be the only one coming to our region until March.
    This has me worried. If I don't have a solid ETA by about the 15th of January I will most likely get something else.

mtbr member
    Anyone who have one set it up tubeless yet? Weight savings? Any weights on cranks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamred View Post
    Looks really nice with the gold bars! In some other pics of the bike, the stickers look more yellow than gold, but yours look more gold. Are your decals stock and are the decals actually gold or yellow? Still waiting for mine to come in. Thanks!
    A week before I got the bike I called up Spec and told them to custom paint my bike gold not yellow to match my bars. They asked how many I wanted and if I needed it overnighted

Think it is just the lighting?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I am 6'4" and with the standard stem and 1cm spacers my saddle to bar drop was almost 10cm. Coupled with the short 70mm stem I felt like I was bending over digging a hole. I generally do ride with some handlebar drop and on the road a lot of drop but this was excessive ......
    Hi skr29er:

What size bike did you get? L or XL? I am 5'10" and I opted for the M (17.5) frame and figured I would need to swap to riser bars to make her fit just right.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A few experts are popping up reportedly . Aside from the post in this thread, mine has supposedly shipped to the shop. Another shop that my friend works at also received notice their expert shipped out to them this week. That's all I know at this point. When I get confirmation that the bikes are physically in the stores I'll let you all know

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gcohen View Post
    ...mine has supposedly shipped to the shop.
    Dude I hope so! I will need help packing the trails this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Dude I hope so! I will need help packing the trails this weekend.
    Timing wise I don't think I'll get my hands on mine until next Friday. I'll be out there with the snowshoes for you tomorrow though

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    A week before I got the bike I called up Spec and told them to custom paint my bike gold not yellow to match my bars. They asked how many I wanted and if I needed it overnighted

Think it is just the lighting?

The lighting really seems to make it range from appearing yellow to real gold. So, would you say the actual color is yellow or gold? If it is yellow, do your gold bars look good with it still? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamred View Post
    The lighting really seems to make it range from appearing yellow to real gold. So, would you say the actual color is yellow or gold? If it is yellow, do your gold bars look good with it still? Thanks!
    The color I guess is in between yellow and gold, I just so happened to have the bars laying around. I would have put them on a black n red one or green if that's what I got. I think it looks ok. Do you want me to post more pics?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ... Do you want me to post more pics?
    Do you even need to ask?! We always want more pics!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

were cables and brake lines long enough?

I too will need a longer stem and perhaps a low rise bar
    when you made those changes to your bike, were the cables and brake lines long enough?
    I was looking at mine, and they are all cut pretty short

Quote Originally Posted by Jedalicious View Post
    Mine was the same, I already changed to a 90mm stem with more rise and riser bars to make it better. Would have been much better if the fork came uncut so you could set it up how you want. Mine would be a bit taller if I had the option.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yes...more pics please. I've been waiting on mine since placing group order with two buds in August. The green came 2 wks before Christmas but the black/gold are still nowhere in sight. Still love to see pics from the "lucky ones" and trying to guage whether the graphics are gold or yellow so I can pre-buy longer/steeper stem, riser bars and pedals that complement the looks. Thanks and happy trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

First snow for the Fatboy

Well it isn't much snow but at least it is some snow. The Fatboy handled the single track great. My second ride on it and it is much better since I swapped out the stem from the stock 6 degree 70cm to a 105cm 16 degree that I had laying around. Should have the new Thomson stem and Easton carbon riser bars soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just got word from my LBS that my Fatboy Expert has shipped and should be available mid next week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The color I guess is in between yellow and gold, I just so happened to have the bars laying around. I would have put them on a black n red one or green if that's what I got. I think it looks ok. Do you want me to post more pics?
    More pics would be great. I actually had gold 3in riser bars ordered changed to black. Probably should have waited to get bike first. I sat on a green Med. and bars were way too low.

... still waiting for black large fatboy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thumpermeister View Post
    Hi skr29er:

What size bike did you get? L or XL? I am 5'10" and I opted for the M (17.5) frame and figured I would need to swap to riser bars to make her fit just right.

Thanks.
    I have an XL (21"). I had a 105mm 16° stem laying around and swapped out the original 70mm 6° stem. I rode it today and that made a huge difference. With the new 100mm 10° Thomson stem and the Easton EC70 XC low rise bars that are coming it should be about perfect. I am guessing more people than not will have to swap to risers on this bike even if you generally run with some saddle to bar drop. And likely a longer stem also. The XL stock might have worked for someone significantly shorter with shorter reach than me but for me it was ridiculously low and short. Much more so than any other stock bike that I have ever bought be it MTB or road. I really think that Specialized spec'd the cockpit poorly for a majority of the riders.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankarm View Post
    I too will need a longer stem and perhaps a low rise bar
    when you made those changes to your bike, were the cables and brake lines long enough?
    I was looking at mine, and they are all cut pretty short
    I made a pretty radical change 70mm 6° stem to 105mm 16° stem and no issues with the cables or brake lines.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone who have one set it up tubeless yet? Weight savings? Any weights on cranks?
    +1 on the tubeless set up. Very interested in hearing any experiences setting up the Fatboy rims tubeless...

mtbr member
    Specialized Fat Boy ETA?-image.jpgSpecialized Fat Boy ETA?-image.jpgSpecialized Fat Boy ETA?-image.jpg

I better get some mad rep for this just kidding

mtbr member
    May 2007
    3" risers will be nice. Sat on my buddies Med. green FB and bars were way to low. Think Spec. pretty much nailed it with this bike but gets negative points for cutting steerer so short. Wish I could find the difference in standover b/t Med. and Lrg. If not much I would change my order to Large for the extra 15mm of stack height and longer stem.
    Seems like every pic I see on the Fat Bike Picture Forum bikes are set up with lots of spacers under the stem and/or risers so seems like preference is to get into comfy upright position to bop along and enjoy the scenery. Which happens to be my intended use. Anyway, I'm sure I'll find a solution and love my new ride all the same.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by celdred1 View Post
    Seems like every pic I see on the Fat Bike Picture Forum bikes are set up with lots of spacers under the stem and/or risers so seems like preference is to get into comfy upright position to bop along and enjoy the scenery. Which happens to be my intended use. Anyway, I'm sure I'll find a solution and love my new ride all the same.
    I actually asked about steerer length in fatbike forum because I too saw what I consider crazy tall steerers and enough spacers to keep a spacer company in lucrative business. General answer was for comfort. My bike arrived (sorry, not a fatboy) with what I figured at the time to simply be an uncut steerer, with understanding you cut it yourself to your desired length. Then I noticed it looked like people simply didn't cut theirs at all.

Personally I have my front end similar to my trail bike, I cut a few inches off the stock steerer and the bike is super-comfy. Only a few spacers (not slammed, but not crazy high tall either) This fit is comfortable for me but each to his own.

mtbr member
    Fatboy sighted roaming the village square at Keystone Ski Resort (colorado) yesterday (1/1/2014) . Sorry no pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is perfect info. Thanks. I was told by Raceface that the crank arms are the same for each crankset, the only difference is the spindle. The 170mm spec crank has a 169mm spindle and the 190mm spec crank has the 189mm spindle. And to clarify your set up, you are probably running the 1mm spacer on each side of the crank, right? Also is that 202 dimension is to the outside of the crank? And you have the chainring mounted normally (teeth in towards centerline and "race face" name showing on the outside? If so that would be incredible news.
    No problem. I'm actually running an E-13 BB so my spacers are different (it's what I had). The 202 dimension is to the outside of the crank arms. It turns out I'm running the 169mm crankset and I have the ring in the regular position. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Enjoy your new bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am definitely not a fan of a lot of spacers but I run 0° stem and flat bars on my other three MTBs with 2 cm spacers. I have approx 4-5 cm saddle to bar drop on those bikes. No way I can do this without a riser stem and riser bars on the Fatboy. Oh and by the way one of those other bikes is a Specialized Epic 29er...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just cancelled my fatboy order in NH ordered green medium in mid december was told mid january. Stopped by today shop says specialized moved date to early april. What a joke specialized really dropped the ball. Figure wait till summer and buy one cheap or wait till 2015 model. Anyone know of a dealer in northern new england that has one let me know
    NHrider

mtbr member
    Just spoke to my LBS; my red/black Fat Boy Expert is in transit (it shipped on the 31st)! Might actually arrive at the shop tomorrow. W00T! Yes I will post photos to prove it's not vaporware. Finally! Psyched!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by amcsix View Post
    Just cancelled my fatboy order in NH ordered green medium in mid december was told mid january. Stopped by today shop says specialized moved date to early april. What a joke specialized really dropped the ball. Figure wait till summer and buy one cheap or wait till 2015 model. Anyone know of a dealer in northern new england that has one let me know
    My LBS has a med green in stock ,don't know what they'd get for shipping . I'm in Southampton NY

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by amcsix View Post
    I actually might. PM me if you are serious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    No problem. I'm actually running an E-13 BB so my spacers are different (it's what I had). The 202 dimension is to the outside of the crank arms. It turns out I'm running the 169mm crankset and I have the ring in the regular position. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    As long as your BB was the external bearing BB, meaning PF cups but the bearing sits outside the shell, I should be all set. Thanks much.

parts leftover
    It sounds like more of these are finding their way to customers. My LBS says the expert I ordered in October will be here in the next few days. I was getting worried that I wouldn't have a bike for the Mud Shovel fenders and red Wellgo pedals I got for Christmas.

Does anyone know if the Fatboy's frame and fork have clearance for a 29+ Rabbit Hole 50mmm / Knard 29 x 3.0 combination? I'm already thinking about this spring and versatility options for trail riding.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast