Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1212
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    LBS called me today and said my Fatboy Expert has shipped and is enroute, ETA possibly this week or next. Great news since last week they told me it was still expected beginning to mid Aug. Can't wait, wait as Bluto and hub are already here waiting for bike. 😃

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bs3833 View Post
    We cant wait, my wife and I have two Experts on order and are getting real anxious to receive them. We are new to the site and have enjoyed the experiences and knowledge to be gained here. We will be sure to post pics of the bikes as well as our adventures when we receive them. !! Thanks
    You won't be disappointed! I'm a few rides in and this is my first fat bike. Just an outrageously fun bike to ride - you're gonna love 'em!
    // Chris - Boston, MA
    // '13 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SaborExplosivo View Post
    Yup, I ran 30 tooth all winter and just changed it over to a 32.
    Older post, and a bit of a newbie question here.. I have my 1x10 parts here (race face 32t) and am not sure exactly what kind of bash guard I need. I don't have the tabs - do I need any old 32t bash guard, and just longer crank bolts? Or is there something else that I'm not thinking of?
    // Chris - Boston, MA
    Metalguitarist.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    Older post, and a bit of a newbie question here.. I have my 1x10 parts here (race face 32t) and am not sure exactly what kind of bash guard I need. I don't have the tabs - do I need any old 32t bash guard, and just longer crank bolts? Or is there something else that I'm not thinking of?
    Race face narrow wide? Skip the bash guard, I did with my 30t ring. Unless you go over tons of logs that are huge you don't need it in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hans2vt View Post
    Race face narrow wide? Skip the bash guard, I did with my 30t ring. Unless you go over tons of logs that are huge you don't need it in my opinion.
    Yeah, the narrow/wide 32T. I run it on my regular MTB and love the gearing with the OneUp in the back. I may switch to a 30T for the winter, but I've been having a blast on my usual singletrack with it.

I definitely want to run a guard - I occasionally hit stuff. It's just cheap peace of mind, really. Plus they look cool (which totally improves performance!).
    // Chris - Boston, MA
    Metalguitarist.org

Loser
    I ran the 34T without a bash in the spring, after hitting the chain and/or ring on rocks several times I decided I needed a bash guard. Even if I went down to a 30T I am not sure I'd run without a bash around here - though I do see some folks going that way (fat or not), they must be more skilled than I am.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

me too....

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I ran the 34T without a bash in the spring, after hitting the chain and/or ring on rocks several times I decided I needed a bash guard. Even if I went down to a 30T I am not sure I'd run without a bash around here - though I do see some folks going that way (fat or not), they must be more skilled than I am.

I cannot imagine riding without a bash in the northeast!

mtbr member
    Same here. Even though I'm running a 30t ring I like having a bash guard.
    Yesterday I finally got my Bluto, so hopefully next week I'll have it all ready to go. I got the 120mm version and the Origin8 hub and re-lacing the stock wheel to it.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightcoaster View Post
    I cannot imagine riding without a bash in the northeast!
    I 2nd that, and run a bash on my Fatty and Stumpy.

However on my recent hardtail build I went without bash and have not had an issue (yet, though a couple close calls and I'm very wary of the potential)

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I 2nd that, and run a bash on my Fatty and Stumpy.

However on my recent hardtail build I went without bash and have not had an issue (yet, though a couple close calls and I'm very wary of the potential)
    I guess that's it more than anything else, with a bash I don't have to worry about it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am in NE, and I have never run a bash guard and never had any issues. That can only mean one thing!!!!!! I need to step up my game and stop being a puZZy.

Jisch, Bluto is on my fat bike and I am riding it tonite.

Loser
    I can't ride tonight - have fun and let me know what you think. I loved the ride, need more time in the saddle to get it set up, but first impressions are very good.

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010

I finally got it! First ride impression was that I hate the gripshift, but that's me. Otherwise, this beast grips. I cruised up my normal climb, and bombed the singletrack. I loved it so much, I actually climbed back up to do it again. I need to figure out psi, but the second trip down, I did let out a pound and it was much better.

Some notes that I've seen comments on in here. Yes, mine's the 2015 with the Type 2 x7 rear D. They also left more exposed steerer. There are still 2 spacers below the stem, but they aren't the skinnies. The handlebars are also different on the spec sheets, and my brake handles do not touch the top tube (as i have them adjusted).

My XL, stock from the shop weighed in at 33.12 lbs. I did swap out the seat and post already. If you want any more info, just let me know. I'll be here smiling.

mtbr member
    What bash guards are you guys running on the stock cranks? I slapped on my 32T today:

And while it looks awesome, the FSA guard that I got for it won't work unless I run extra long bolts or something like that.
    // Chris - Boston, MA
    Metalguitarist.org

Loser
    I put on a BBG, I needed longer bolts.

mtbr member
    I put on a BBG, I needed longer bolts.
    Thanks. Got a pic, by chance?

Were they 15mm bolts?
    // Chris - Boston, MA
    Metalguitarist.org

Loser
    I'll take one in the morning., but sure how long the bolts are.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I've got too many logs and rocks on my trails not to run a bash guard.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Loser
    That's what I think too, but I see lots if people running single rings with no bash around here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Has anyone thought about buying the Motobecane Sturgis for the Bluto and selling the rest of the bike? Not sure if it would be cost effective.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by j35u5fr34k View Post
    Has anyone thought about buying the Motobecane Sturgis for the Bluto and selling the rest of the bike? Not sure if it would be cost effective.
    Yes for the Bluto and the tires.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well I had my first ride last night on the Fatboy with a 100mm Bluto. It was a great ride and everything was as expected. I ran my tire all the way up to 9 psi for these two reasons; 1) I pinched flatted the tubeless tire the other day and I did not want that to happen a again, 2) I wanted to lessen the effect extremely low tire pressure has on steering to better judge the fork. On hard ground anything below 6psi really pulls the steering everywhere

First I went with the 100mm even though it was recommended by Specialized to use the 80mm. I think the steering did wander ever so slightly more because of the geometry change, but still nowhere near as bad as low pressure on hard ground. Still difficult to pinpoint specific problems with those big soft tires. It was nothing unmanageable at all, even at high speed, rocky, twisting and turning. I ran it at 25% sag and I used a a lot of the compression damping. Between the tire and the suspension the trail was smoothed out nicely. All that said, if you only run the 4.6" tires like me, I do think the 80mm would be enough. That would keep the geo much closer to original spec. I generally believe 80mm is not enough in the NE, but for this bike and of course, depending on your type of riding, it might be enough.

I actually did this ride like a SS ride with minimal shifting, but this does have climbs and descents. I wanted to check the damping with some stand and mash pedal bobbing, and it was great. This is good news because I am gonna alternate this set up with a SS rear wheel.

Overall it adds 2.4 pounds to your bike and I did notice the heavier front end lifting over obstacles, but I think that is to be expected. It definitely changed the ride for the better for my NE roots, rocks and logs everywhere. I think it was great upgrade, except now I have less need for my geared HT bike.

Also the clearance from turning the bars 90 degrees, the compression knob at its closest point is about 7mm from the frame. I ride a MED frame. This may be an issue for a size small frame.

If anyone needs any other specific info let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by j35u5fr34k View Post
    Yeah, swap front ends. Then you end up with a FB/ Bluto and a pretty nice spare bike with a carbon fork for around 400 bucks.

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    Well I had my first ride last night on the Fatboy with a 100mm Bluto.
    Cool and consistent with my experience today (on the same trails). I have about 10 PSI in front and 8 or so in back. I'm thinking of adding a bit more to the back, I had a couple of soft hits on the rim today and I don't think I need as much cushion in back. I weigh 175 or so fully loaded and I have about 90 PSI in the fork. I didn't notice much bob when pedaling and my o-ring indicated I used all the travel - I reset the o-ring a few times and in the higher speed sections it was at the top again - though I never felt it.

Definitely a good time.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    That's what I think too, but I see lots if people running single rings with no bash around here.
    yeah, there are plenty of guys that I ride with that get by just fine without one, even on a fatbike, but I can only manual over about 80% of the rocks and logs on my trails, the rest are a doozy and as big as I am, i would kill chains and rings.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast