Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedalicious View Post
    I feel your pain brother. I put a deposit down in August. I was VERY close to pulling the plug and buying something else. I did get my Fatboy on Tuesday and I can say I am very glad I waited the 4 months to get it. The bike is SWEET! I totally get it if you can't wait, I was there too. I'm just saying I'm glad I did. I hope yours arrives soon
    I own a few spec bikes and they have been nice. They are the only personal bikes I've owned ridden in 15 years. I'm sure yours is awesome. At this point it is rapidly becoming an issue of respect for me. I don't care about the internet news, but if you (LBS) can't keep your promises made directly to me I expect you to at least apologize and tell me the truth about what will happen next. For me, the 100% down thing was ridiculous. The recent inability to speak to a delivery date is also a problem (Specialized). I also didn't get the promised return call today from the LBS manager. Acting like all of this is business as usual is the icing on the cake.

I use my bike for recreation almost exclusively. I only buy a new one for new about every 10 years, although my last purchase was in 2010. I'm a terrible customer for the LBS and Specialized because I'm a low volume and mid price shopper. However, if things don't improve shortly with the attitude and information from all parties involved I will walk away and never return. I had to do the same with Chrysler many years ago.

I'm glad you got your bike and you like it. Enjoy it. Life it too short.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just gave up and ordered a yampa frame. Kzoo MI will have an xl availible in Feb. Maybe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Jeez, i put $300 down on any color or style as long as its small. Asking for full price is pretty ballsy for a bike sight unseen.
    My LBS got 1 medium , sold in two days.
    Unless I hear about my bike shortly I'm off to get a surly...

The spez isn't that revolutionary a bike. In fact , as I learn more the drawbacks are appearing. there's no mounting points for a front fender. The rear will need a rack, but there's no way of telling what racks will fit it!
    The moonlander has bigger tires, I assume if its like a pug, will mount any stuff you can dream up so is more flexible. And there are tons of add ons you can get right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    I've tried as hard as I can. I generally pay no attention to third hand information on the internet. especially in forums. I've ignored the "it will come in Sept.", all the way to the latest "I was told by my LBS who was told by my Rep it will be Feb" stories. I only went by what I was told directly by my LBS. I stayed out of the Specalized is evil thread, and I'm not justifying my purchase decision.

Yesterday the rumors here were enough to prompt my bi-monthly call to my LBS to try to at least get some second hand info. My LBS stated that the Specialized rep they normally call on the phone to ask about things like this has stopped providing any information. He is sure it is the same guy the shop always talks to, he even noted that his number is on an old post-it note next to the phone. He admitted that without information from his rep all he can do is guess. When pressed, the rep allegedly said that the earliest another shipment might come is January.
    With no flow of accurate information I'm sure I'll get Fat nothing (pun intended), but I expect my LBS and Specailzed to keep their end of the deal. If they don't deliver my Fatboy Expert to me by the end of December I am getting my deposit back and I am moving on to another bike from another manufacture. I am reasonable, and I will wait longer if I receive a reasonable explanation, an apology, and updated delivery date. The apology could be as simple as "I'm sorry your bike isn't here yet" from anyone involved in the process.

I was promised a call back from the LBS manager to discuss the return of my deposit. So far I haven't even gotten that.

Same here called shop and asked for update and said a manager would call me later in the day. Its been 3 days and still nothing. I think the shops are getting aggravated just like the customers. If i know its not coming until feb. i will buy another bike and sell in march after receiving fatboy. Its getting old.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by richccc View Post
    Same here called shop and asked for update and said a manager would call me later in the day. Its been 3 days and still nothing. I think the shops are getting aggravated just like the customers. If i know its not coming until feb. i will buy another bike and sell in march after receiving fatboy. Its getting old.
    The LBS I ordered from is not so local, they are in a city where I used to live. I am planning to drive there when the bike comes in. They are the best bike shop I have ever dealt with. However, I do have a sinking feeling that they are not calling me back because they know without any real information from Specialized that I will ask for my deposit back and walk. According to them I was 10th in line, just for an Expert, months ago. They claimed to have enough on order at the time to cover all the orders and more. They have a lot to lose if the remaining bikes roll in late Feb or March as the snow melts. That will be a lot of stock to sit on until next Fall. I appreciate the crappy position they are in, but failing to return my calls just adds to an already poor situation. I'm waiting until Monday afternoon and if they don't call like they promised I am canceling on Monday. I just won't be treated that way anymore.

I hope everything works out for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm in the same boat. Talked to the guy at the store I ordered from and getting the the same story of I don't know. Mentioned to him a little communication would be nice, can't believe that a business like spesh does not know whats going on. I don't mind waiting, but tell me the truth. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining out. On that note looking at a 907 that came up for sale that I am looking at and want to know if a guy can fit Bud and Lou on i with Rolling Darryls. For what I'm riding here in MN. want the wider tire.

mtbr member
    I got a call from my sales person this week. He spoke to my wife. He said my large Expert "should" be here mid to late January and possibly even February. He was extremely apologetic. He offered to refund my money (which was always an option anytime I had enough waiting or didn't like it when it arrived). He offered to help me find a different fatbike even at a another shop. I am not sure what more he could offer me.

It has been cold here this winter so far. I have been thankfully very busy at work lately. I don't think I would be putting the bike to that much use right now anyway.

Who am I kidding.... I would have ridden 26 miles today if I had a fat bike. Instead I sit here and get fat. Uffda, this sux.

mtbr member
    I was telling my wife yesterday afternoon I really hope the LBS calls to tell me my Fatboy is on its way. Last nite around 6, phone rings - the LBS. "YES!" I tell myself & answer the phone. The call has a bit of static going on..."what, what came in?!" The helmet I ordered in September. It finally came in. Yay. At least I was able to ski today.

mtbr member
    Like some of you, I have been patiently waiting on my Fatboy to arrive. Until now, I have ridden Specialized bikes exclusively. As a matter of fact, I've purchased 5 Specialized bikes in the past two years. I would REALLY like to buy a Fatboy, but I'm tired of waiting. I don't want my fatbike next Spring--I want to ride it this Winter. I still like Specialized, but they missed the timing on this one. I'm about to buy my first Surly. What sucks is my LBS says Surly is out of stock on every size of Moonlander. I guess I'll try out a Pug Ops. I hope I don't regret getting the 3.8" tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by homer j View Post
    I got a call from my sales person this week. He spoke to my wife. He said my large Expert "should" be here mid to late January and possibly even February. He was extremely apologetic. He offered to refund my money (which was always an option anytime I had enough waiting or didn't like it when it arrived). He offered to help me find a different fatbike even at a another shop. I am not sure what more he could offer me.

It has been cold here this winter so far. I have been thankfully very busy at work lately. I don't think I would be putting the bike to that much use right now anyway.

Who am I kidding.... I would have ridden 26 miles today if I had a fat bike. Instead I sit here and get fat. Uffda, this sux.
    This is so insensitive. People are probably losing bike shop jobs because of posts like this. Quit talking about it, please.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hello,
    I don't understand the problem.... The told me in Belgium my fatboy expert will be there when he comes in..... so I'm waiting and take the regular bike for a ride till he arrives. It's a new bike and that is asking time. Be patience people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Patience is a virtue, apparently... If I was going to order a Specialized Fatboy, I would be prepared for the wait, it has the potential to be an awesome bike, in comparison to some of the other mainstream releases. It was second on my list after the Farley, I got it so I don't have to wait, if it had fallen through I would still be patiently waiting for the Specialized fatboy. If I am lucky I might be riding my mates one before him

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    This is nothing new in the Fat bike industry. Every year there is a group of people waiting for something. 3 years ago I was waiting forever for a 907 and 2 years ago my Fatback took several months beyond the original eta. Of coarse I still don't blame you all, I would be just and anxious and flaming mad.

mtbr member

my first internet stalker

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbreed View Post
    This is so insensitive. People are probably losing bike shop jobs because of posts like this. Quit talking about it, please.
    Ha! Ha! That's funny! This guy is following me around trying to use my words in the "I hate Specialized thread" against me, unsuccessfully I might add. I expressed how happy I was that my salesperson was keeping me informed doing everything in his power to keep me happy. How is that negative. He has sold me 7 bikes, and will sell me more.

I am still waiting for the bike. This bike has everything I want at a reasonable price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjose View Post
    Patience is a virtue, apparently... If I was going to order a Specialized Fatboy, I would be prepared for the wait, it has the potential to be an awesome bike, in comparison to some of the other mainstream releases. It was second on my list after the Farley, I got it so I don't have to wait, if it had fallen through I would still be patiently waiting for the Specialized fatboy. If I am lucky I might be riding my mates one before him
    Lets hope not. A late January delivery would suit me fine. I have them chasing up info on tubes and tyres too.

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSOR View Post
    Hello,
    I don't understand the problem.... The told me in Belgium my fatboy expert will be there when he comes in..... so I'm waiting and take the regular bike for a ride till he arrives. It's a new bike and that is asking time. Be patience people.
    The idea behind a culture of Instant Gratification is the opposite of patient. Imagine what happens with REAL problems... :/
    Todd

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Two wheel tango in canton Michigan has a fatboy in green size medium on the floor 2000 plus tax

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

Not one Expert sighting to date. Where oh where did those 75 experts ship to??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcohen View Post
    Not one Expert sighting to date. Where oh where did those 75 experts ship to??
    Third world country with no internet? North Korea?? This could explain it, I think...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    The idea behind a culture of Instant Gratification is the opposite of patient. Imagine what happens with REAL problems... :/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    About the same actually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    are the frame decals removable? make it stealth looking..
    They are not removeable. With the exception of the size sticker, the graphics look painted on or something. This is on the green ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is it possible to use different size tires with this bike? Wondering if the 4.6" tires are too big as a general purpose tires compared to Surly Pugsley with its 3.8" tires.

mtbr member
    I got my large comp last week, two bubs of mine that are waiting for a small and a med(pre ordered from the same shop) are still waiting and were still told this month.
    I'm sorry every one that ordered one is still waiting. I had a farey pre ordered and was told they are out of stock(go take a hike) and had no future date of shipment.
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

Quote Originally Posted by empre View Post
    Is it possible to use different size tires with this bike? Wondering if the 4.6" tires are too big as a general purpose tires compared to Surly Pugsley with its 3.8" tires.
    Why wouldn't you just get a Pugsley then, or any of the other many, many fat bikes that are actually available right now? The point for the 190 rear is to be able to run the up to 5" wide tires. But yes, you can throw a narrower tire on... it's not illegal.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    I was pretty sure I found a green medium Comp available about 100 miles from me Sunday nite. I had a friend working in that area Monday who could pick it up for me. Counted down the time until the shop opened to call them Monday morning. About 20 minutes before the shop opened, I got pulled into a meeting with my boss. Got out 20 minutes after the shop opened & called them. Yup, they had it. They sold it ten minutes before I called.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My borealis will be at least six pounds lighter than the Fat Boy I have been waiting on for 6 months. Twice as much money, but lighter. Oh yeah, it also shipped.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Would it be possible to convert Fatboy to 2x8 by keeping the front part as is (crankset/chainrings and derailleur) and by changing the rear derailleur to Shimano 8 speed and cassette to either SRAM or Shimano 8 speed? Chain would be changed to 9 speed. Would this work? The reason I want this is to get my loved gripshifts for this bike (the new SRAM gripshifts suck).

Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Why wouldn't you just get a Pugsley then, or any of the other many, many fat bikes that are actually available right now? The point for the 190 rear is to be able to run the up to 5" wide tires. But yes, you can throw a narrower tire on... it's not illegal.
    I want to test ride bieks before I buy and first Fatboys will come here in january. I was just interested if narrower tires are option with the Fatboy or if I would be stuck with the one 4.6" model.

mtbr member
    Would it be possible to convert Fatboy to 2x8 by keeping the front part as is (crankset/chainrings and derailleur) and by changing the rear derailleur to Shimano 8 speed and cassette to either SRAM or Shimano 8 speed? Chain would be changed to 9 speed. Would this work? The reason I want this is to get my loved gripshifts for this bike (the new SRAM gripshifts suck).
    Is there anything in particular that you don't like about the new gripshift? I have the XO version on another bike and I absolutely love them. The shifters are one of the reasons that I chose this bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is there anything in particular that you don't like about the new gripshift? I have the XO version on another bike and I absolutely love them. The shifters are one of the reasons that I chose this bike.
    This is my post from another thread regarding the gripshifters:

I tried those new SRAM gripshifters when they came but they shift so easily that you can't hold from the shifter part in normal riding. With the old model you can hold from the shifter part without any worries since the old model has hard "one click" movement shifting. Also the new gripshifters took a lot more space from the handlebar and were too wide (both shifter and grip part, but mostly because of the included grip was so long). With shorter 3rd party grips there was annoying "step" between the grip and the SRAM shifter because the size of grips I like to use (standard grips) have somewhat smaller diameter than the twisting part of the new SRAM gripshifter.

So there's many issues with the new model that I don't like. I like (SRT600) gripshifters 100x more than any other shifter on the market, but I think I would rather use regular thumb shifters than the new SRAM shifters if I had to choose.

I dream that someone comes with a updated model that works like the old gripshifters and is also as small. Not going to happen though, that's why I bought two SRT600 pairs from ebay last year when someone from Hong Kong had brand new (NOS) packages on sale.

mtbr member
    Empre: That's interesting, I actually hated the old SRAM grip shift. Because of that I almost didn't try the new ones. I find the new ones to be an improvement in almost every way, at least from the Sram ones I had used in the past. I can see what you're saying though. The special grips are the only downside I can think of. I imagine eventually there will be aftermarket grip options.The XO version has 3 sets of ball bearings in each one. I am Not sure if these are any different than that. The X0s are silky smooth and very sensitive. It just takes a little while to get used to that and not bumping it by accident. If you ride them for a short while I imagine you will love them. I hardly ever shift unintentionally. (I think it has happened 3 times in about 700 miles and I know I bumped my thumb shifters more frequently than that.) That extra wide grip gives you plenty of space to put your hand though so you don't accidentally shift.
    I personally wouldn't give up the extra cogs. I will however consider giving up one of the chain rings like I did on my other bike and going 1X10.
    Last edited by homer j; 12-17-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Trance, with all due respect you have been waiting for 16 days since they weren't supposed to be out till December which it is now<g> Like all of use we have been jonesing since they were announced 6 months ago.

Enjoy that Borealis, they look like a sweet tide. Did you get the carbon wheels also?

Bob
    Last edited by reig3; 12-17-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: name twice, corrected

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i jumped ship....
    bought a moonlander, it's being shipped now!
    i'm already searching for stuff to trick it out!
    it was apparent that feb is not unrealistic for the next delivery.
    good luck to you all waiting 'til then, you are better than i am.

meanwhile, i'll be out in the snow..

dave (soon to be fat)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by reig3 View Post
    Trance, with all due respect you have been waiting for 16 days since they weren't supposed to be out till December which it is now<g> Like all of use we have been jonesing since they were announced 6 months ago.

Enjoy that Borealis, they look like a sweet tide. Did you get the carbon wheels also?

Bob
    When my order was placed in July, I was given an optimistic date of Oct. When it got changed to Feb, I let my spot go. I do not think the carbon rims will be available for 4 more weeks. Marge light, xx1, next sl crank. I will stop *****ing now. Still a little pissed.

mtbr member
    I think all the bikes currently shipped out should have only been sent to northern states first. It makes me sick seeing pictures of fatboys being ridden in dust and dirt down south when they could be enjoying the fresh powder up north right now.

Re: Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

Empre: That's interesting, I actually hated the old SRAM grip shift. Because of that I almost didn't try the new ones. I find the new ones to be an improvement in almost every way, at least from the Sram ones I had used in the past.
    I second this 100%

The new XO/XX grip shifts are the best shifters I've probably ever had. I have X9 grips on my fat bike and they feel really cheap compared to the XO I have on my 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Empre: That's interesting, I actually hated the old SRAM grip shift. Because of that I almost didn't try the new ones. I find the new ones to be an improvement in almost every way, at least from the Sram ones I had used in the past. I can see what you're saying though. The special grips are the only downside I can think of. I imagine eventually there will be aftermarket grip options.The XO version has 3 sets of ball bearings in each one. I am Not sure if these are any different than that. The X0s are silky smooth and very sensitive. It just takes a little while to get used to that and not bumping it by accident. If you ride them for a short while I imagine you will love them. I hardly ever shift unintentionally. (I think it has happened 3 times in about 700 miles and I know I bumped my thumb shifters more frequently than that.) That extra wide grip gives you plenty of space to put your hand though so you don't accidentally shift.
    I personally wouldn't give up the extra cogs. I will however consider giving up one of the chain rings like I did on my other bike and going 1X10.

Grip shifters are the only shifters that I hate--regardless of the version. I've tried every type of shifter (road and mountain), but for some reason, my brain wants to turn them opposite every time. It (my subconscious mind) can't seem to figure it out. And I'm always second guessing myself and spending way too much time thinking about it while I ride.

I recognize it is my problem, but I'm worried I'll have to invest in Thumbies when my Fatboy arrives. Otherwise, I might just go (more?) insane.

mtbr member
    My Fat Boy Expert arrived at the shop today!

I simply cannot wait to be able to utter that phrase for real. ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtaylor View Post
    i jumped ship....
    bought a moonlander, it's being shipped now!
    i'm already searching for stuff to trick it out!
    it was apparent that feb is not unrealistic for the next delivery.
    good luck to you all waiting 'til then, you are better than i am.

meanwhile, i'll be out in the snow..

dave (soon to be fat)
    Quote Originally Posted by trance3 View Post
    When my order was placed in July, I was given an optimistic date of Oct. When it got changed to Feb, I let my spot go. I do not think the carbon rims will be available for 4 more weeks. Marge light, xx1, next sl crank. I will stop *****ing now. Still a little pissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro4tundra View Post
    I think all the bikes currently shipped out should have only been sent to northern states first. It makes me sick seeing pictures of fatboys being ridden in dust and dirt down south when they could be enjoying the fresh powder up north right now.
    +1. I'm not so much pissed as I am disappointed. I've had a Fatboy Comp on order ever since my LBS was able to place it. This will be my first fat bike. If I already had one, I would be much more patient waiting on a new Fatboy. As it is, I don't want to miss the whole Winter (fat bike season) watching the date get pushed farther and farther out. My Pug Ops should be here today (ordered it on Monday). If I really like fat-biking, I may consider a 2015 or 2016 Fatboy--after things have settled down a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgillmore View Post
    My Pug Ops should be here today (ordered it on Monday). If I really like fat-biking, I may consider a 2015 or 2016 Fatboy--after things have settled down a bit.
    That's a reasonable approach. Enjoy the new Pugs and if you are feeling it at a later date you can always get yourself a Fatboy with no pressure on the delivery date since you'll be riding fat while you wait.

My GF is trying to decide whether to keep her old, but serviceable mountain bike when she gets a new one in 2014. I'm pushing for keeping the old one since it's paid for an it's always good to have a backup plan if the bike you hoped to ride isn't available for one reason or another.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu-Max View Post
    My Fat Boy Expert arrived at the shop today!

I simply cannot wait to be able to utter that phrase for real. ;-)
    Specialized Fat Boy ETA?-fatboy.jpg

In stock Large Fatboy, Fort Collins Colorado. With all of our pre-orders this is not one of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrbikes View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fatboy.jpg 
Views:	13008 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	855812

In stock Large Fatboy, Fort Collins Colorado. With all of our pre-orders this is not one of them.
    !! I wish I were back in college for so many reasons. One of which is I went to CSU (in Ft. Collins)

mtbr member
    !! I wish I were back in college for so many reasons. One of which is I went to CSU (in Ft. Collins)
    It is now sold and heading to its new home. We had it built for 15 minutes. Put on our Facebook and wanted to post here to show that they are starting to be a real thing.

mtbr member
    OK...now I'm a little pissed. Shouldn't they fill the pre-orders first? Oh well, my Pug-Ops came in this morning and they're calling for snow this weekend.

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?-1512787_633074876755501_1908690140_n.jpg

mtbr member
    OK...now I'm a little pissed. Shouldn't they fill the pre-orders first? Oh well, my Pug-Ops came in this morning and they're calling for snow this weekend.

Name:	1512787_633074876755501_1908690140_n.jpg 
Views:	5576 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	855822

Right you would think they would ship pre-orders before sending extras to shops!!!! UGH this is getting so old.

trying to decide what to do hard to find LARGE fat bikes this time of year!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you're near NYC and need a medium we have one in stock at my shop. pm me...

mtbr member
    Am I the only one that doesn't like the white rim strip on the new Fatboys? I realize it's a personal preference thing and it's not difficult to change. I'm just wondering why they didn't go with black?

mtbr member
    Am I the only one that doesn't like the white rim strip on the new Fatboys?
    Not sure if it helps, but they do have the Fatboy logo printed on them...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Name:	1512787_633074876755501_1908690140_n.jpg 
Views:	5576 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	855822
    Looks great. Strategically posed in front of the Specialized logo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I would have jumped right away on this until yesterday. After speaking with my LBS and reading about these delays I decided to build a 907 frame. It will be a bit more but I get to build is just like I want it and the guys at 907 shipped it today and I should have it assembled before the end of next week.

mtbr member
    I gave up on waiting for a Fatboy and went with a Beargrease, we've had snow on the ground for a month already. Good luck to everyone that's still waiting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlikesbikes View Post
    Grip shifters are the only shifters that I hate--regardless of the version. I've tried every type of shifter (road and mountain), but for some reason, my brain wants to turn them opposite every time. It (my subconscious mind) can't seem to figure it out. And I'm always second guessing myself and spending way too much time thinking about it while I ride.

I recognize it is my problem, but I'm worried I'll have to invest in Thumbies when my Fatboy arrives. Otherwise, I might just go (more?) insane.
    I realize that the grip shift is completely opposite to A motorcycle throttle. On a motorcycle your twist backwards to go faster the grip shift is the opposite. What I do is rest my index finger on my brake lever and twist with my finger pointing forward to go faster and point my thumb down to go slower. If that makes any sense.

Forward = faster
    Down = slow down

I don't know how the front shifter works, I never used it.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Got a question for those of you that have received your Fatboy. What is your opinion of the Tektro Draco 2 brakes? My Fatboy is on its way and wondering whether or not I will be needing to swap out the brakes right away.

mtbr member
    I've used the Draco hyrdos for ~4k miles on a Rockhopper. Like a cheaper Shimano brake IMO, and fits Shimano pads. Never any issues for me, and a cinch to bleed.

No need to swap out right away IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I ride Avid 7 on my mtb but have no problems with the fatboy comp stock brake. Would be hard at this point to say I've notice any difference. I would ride with them before making a decision. (For riding I've had some steep mountain descents).

In terms of braking, I've only noticed that at 0-15 degrees weather my brakes squeal like a banshee for the first ten seconds of a descent while they warm up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the replies regarding the stock brakes. How about the stock crankset and the rest of the drive train. Have you been happy with their performance? I was a bit nervous on the crankset having never heard of it before.

mtbr member
    That [Pug Ops posed in front of the Big "S" logo] was completely unintentional.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    I gave up on waiting for a Fatboy and went with a Beargrease, we've had snow on the ground for a month already. Good luck to everyone that's still waiting.
    I did the same thing and I don't regret it. The Beargrese is a lot more $ but well worth it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is it possible to change Fatboy cranks to something else? 17.5 is right size for me but it comes with 175mm cranks and I have short legs and I would need 170mm cranks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    sorry, i was lurking hard on this thread.
    i pulled the trigger yesterday, and took a picture...

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?-photo-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I haven't had a problem with them at all. Tons of stopping power. I took them around the trail parking lot. I think the true test will be in the summer flying on a downhill section.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    yeah everything works great, 1 day in... should know more after the weekend.
    5 psi seems too high tho is that f'n nuts ?!?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wigone View Post

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	855996
    Nice...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Depends on weight. I'm 175 and I'm running 7 in the front and 8 in the back. (Fatboy tubless) I might go down another pound on both. Way better than the 20psi I started out at.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I realize that the grip shift is completely opposite to A motorcycle throttle. On a motorcycle your twist backwards to go faster the grip shift is the opposite. What I do is rest my index finger on my brake lever and twist with my finger pointing forward to go faster and point my thumb down to go slower. If that makes any sense.

Forward = faster
    Down = slow down

I don't know how the front shifter works, I never used it.

Hope that helps.

Funny, I do the same thing in opposite. I think of opening the throttle to make it up the hill and maintain momentum. As a person that is mechanically challenged in every way, I've never had trouble with the switched front and rear brake (US) either. I rode an old Triumph that was RH shift with ease also. Maybe I'm so bad at remembering I just learn it each time I ride. Now when is my anniversary again?

I've ridden with the Draco brakes and they are better than anything Avid for me. Three sets of Juicy brakes, not one of them would retract the pads evenly or completely from the rotor. After a lever to the grip episode, I'll take Draco over Avid every time. I ordered the Expert and I'm glad they are coming with Shimano. I'll add to the consensus that the Draco will be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wigone View Post

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	855996
    You decided to buy a Fatboy yesterday and got one? Nice work.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is it possible to use 3.8" tires like Surly Larry on Fatboy?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is it possible to change Fatboy cranks to something else? 17.5 is right size for me but it comes with 175mm cranks and I have short legs and I would need 170mm cranks.
    Looked up high res pictures from Fatboy and the crank says 104/64. What does the second number (64) mean? Will it fit all cranks that are 104, like 104/64 etc?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looked up high res pictures from Fatboy and the crank says 104/64. What does the second number (64) mean? Will it fit all cranks that are 104, like 104/64 etc?
    The 104/64 is the Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD). The 64 is the small chain ring BCD.

mtbr member
    I think they shipped out all the green ones first because they knew they wouldn't be able to sell them with the sexy black/yellow and black/red right ones next to it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't know about that. I personally like the green much better. Big bad ass bike with fat tires should be the color of a tank. Who doesn't have a glossy black bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Looks good. mine should be here soon
    Last edited by buggymancan; 01-01-2014 at 09:06 AM.

mtbr member

Fat Boys Pics

My LBS in Denver emailed me to let me know they had just built up another customers (pre-ordered) large size Fat Boy. I have a deposit on a medium Expert so I headed down there to make certain I was buying the correct size.

I got to do a couple of laps inside the store, and at 5' 9 1/2" with a 32" inseam, a medium is the correct size. I was wearing hiking boots and the twins were resting on the top tube with my feet flat on the floor, and even with that stubby stem I felt like I was reaching for the bars a bit. Their bike fitter also said it looked a tad big for me.

They also said to not get my hopes up for seeing my Expert before January. They were not even informed by Specialized that this one was inbound until it was half way to Denver from UT.

Some pics below, check the chain and seat stay clearance with the 4.6" tires inflated to 10psi.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skr29er View Post
    The 104/64 is the Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD). The 64 is the small chain ring BCD.
    So I can use SRAM X5 crankset with Fatboy, but I need to use both X5 chainrings because the smaller one has different BCD?

mtbr member
    Dayyum, that looks tight on the chainstay! I would think some stock tires with a little irregularity might rub.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

So I can use SRAM X5 crankset with Fatboy, but I need to use both X5 chainrings because the smaller one has different BCD?
    The fat boy crank and the X5 crank have the same BCD (104/64) and the same chainring sizes (36/22). But the X5 BB/spindle are GPX and not compatible with the FB's PFBB30.
    And yes, you can use narrower tires (Surly 3.8") if you want.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The fat boy crank and the X5 crank have the same BCD (104/64) and the same chainring sizes (36/22). But the X5 BB/spindle are GPX and not compatible with the FB's PFBB30.
    And yes, you can use narrower tires (Surly 3.8") if you want.
    Ok. So is there any cranksets that work with fatbikes that are compatible with Fatboy?

I have 81cm (31.9") inceam so optimum crank length is 166mm. The stock 175mm are way over that. I've been using 170mm with old bike for years too.

mtbr member
    You may be able to use an adapter like this to put Sram cranks on, however, I don't know how a wider BB will affect adding adapters.
    Wheels Manufacturing BB/PF30 Universal Adapter for SRAM/Truvativ Cranks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I believe that RaceFace may have a couple of different options for you that would get you 170mm arms, 100mm spindle, PF30 BB and 190mm rear compatibility. Would also be an upgrade to the stock Fatboy crank. Check them out. I am sure there are others as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Still no expert sightings, correct??

mtbr member
    Still no expert sightings, correct??
    I hear there may be 3 state side!!!! so not likely anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    In Belgium is my Expert planed for 24 January.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tadraper View Post
    I hear there may be 3 state side!!!! so not likely anytime soon.
    Wow. What happened to "roughly 50%"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlikesbikes View Post
    Wow. What happened to "roughly 50%"?
    Seems the threads on the Specialized support site with information like that from specialized support have been removed. Maybe they were not being honest with us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I sent Specialized a question regarding Australian delivery dates, lets say I am not hopeful and will purchase something else
    Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The link didn't work so here is my question to them and replies since.

Fatboy Expert availability
    SHANE RUSSELL DEC 18, 2013 01:15PM PST
    Hello, I am enquiring as to when we may see the new Fatboy Expert and Fatboy bikes shipped to Australia. Having had "confirmed" dates revised from Nov -Dec -Jan and now to Feb it is extremely frustrating.
    Considering the pre-orders were placed in July and Dec was original delivery date, where are the bikes? I have heard tyre manufacture could be causing delays? We are seeing bikes in the US but none here.
    Are you able to provide a firm date for Australian delivery?
    Thank you

Up
    Down

Specialized Customer Service
    DEC 18, 2013 01:23PM PST
    SPECIALIZED Agent
    Unfortunately we don't have delivery information for Specialized Australia. There seems to be a worldwide shortage on these Fatboy bikes and we are anxious to get them out to our patient customers. Here is the contact information for Specialized Australia, they may have a more definitive answer for you:
    SPECIALIZED AUSTRALIA
    251 Salmon Street
    Port Melbourne
    VIC 3207
    Tel. 1300 499 330
    Email: infoau@specialized.com
    Up
    Down

Shane Russell
    DEC 20, 2013 12:36PM PST
    The reason I contacted the US is our Australian supplier cannot give us the information, they just keep putting the dates back with no explanation. We have had confirmed dates for store delivery changed 4 times now.

mtbr member
    Done waiting getting a FATBACK 190 LBS is ordering it today!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My Fatboy is on its way. Scheduled to arrive in St. Louis on Christmas Eve just in time to help make this one great Christmas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

Quote Originally Posted by skr29er View Post
    My Fatboy is on its way. Scheduled to arrive in St. Louis on Christmas Eve just in time to help make this one great Christmas.
    Expert? Also curious how your shop got the shipping info. My lbs hasn't been able to get any reliable info from their rep.
    Last edited by gcohen; 12-20-2013 at 07:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    g relax. There aren't any experts in the US yet. I'll let you know when they are incoming ok?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    g relax. There aren't any experts in the US yet. I'll let you know when they are incoming ok?
    Lol. Thx.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shanesbw View Post
    The link didn't work so here is my question to them and replies since.

Fatboy Expert availability
    SHANE RUSSELL DEC 18, 2013 01:15PM PST
    Hello, I am enquiring as to when we may see the new Fatboy Expert and Fatboy bikes shipped to Australia. Having had "confirmed" dates revised from Nov -Dec -Jan and now to Feb it is extremely frustrating.
    Considering the pre-orders were placed in July and Dec was original delivery date, where are the bikes? I have heard tyre manufacture could be causing delays? We are seeing bikes in the US but none here.
    Are you able to provide a firm date for Australian delivery?
    Thank you

Up
    Down

Specialized Customer Service
    DEC 18, 2013 01:23PM PST
    SPECIALIZED Agent
    Unfortunately we don't have delivery information for Specialized Australia. There seems to be a worldwide shortage on these Fatboy bikes and we are anxious to get them out to our patient customers. Here is the contact information for Specialized Australia, they may have a more definitive answer for you:
    SPECIALIZED AUSTRALIA
    251 Salmon Street
    Port Melbourne
    VIC 3207
    Tel. 1300 499 330
    Email: infoau@specialized.com
    Up
    Down

Shane Russell
    DEC 20, 2013 12:36PM PST
    The reason I contacted the US is our Australian supplier cannot give us the information, they just keep putting the dates back with no explanation. We have had confirmed dates for store delivery changed 4 times now.
    Same runaround I got. Someone somewhere decided that no information is better than wrong information. I can appreciate that, but an even better way would be for them to just make official updates somewhere with honest information. They seem so scared of being late they won't just admit to what is going on.

I personally would have waited for a really long time with regular honest updates. An even cooler newer tech way would be to get the emails of legit orders from customers and update them that way. My laptop order last month(custom made in a far away land, similar cost) worked this way. Oh, and there was no deposit per se. They don't even know where the real orders are, or how many customers they lost.

mtbr member
    Hi Shanebw

Just wondering, if you have investigated other options. Nothing available
    in Perth, other than ordering a Surly of some kind from over east and
    they are 1-1.5k more
    Want the big tyres for beach work.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Twimby; 12-20-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Hit wrong box for quote

Re: Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

Quote Originally Posted by Lu-Max View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Dayyum, that looks tight on the chainstay! I would think some stock tires with a little irregularity might rub.
    Wow. I was thinking the same thing when I saw that. Get a little mud or snow on the tires and you're gonna be rubbing. I'm confused how they fit Lou in there for the prototypes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Wow. I was thinking the same thing when I saw that. Get a little mud or snow on the tires and you're gonna be rubbing. I'm confused how they fit Lou in there for the prototypes.
    On mine it's not as tight as it looks in that picture. I would say I have a half inch on each side of the tire at the chain stay. I can easily fit a finger between the tire and the chain stay. Lou would definitely fit, I am planning to get one before next winter.

mtbr member
    The new tire "pricklies" are pretty dense on the outer knobs, I think the chain stay clearance was actually 1/3-1/2".

I was really hoping for a Christmas miracle delivery, but now I've revised that to January. If it's not here by ~21st I'm probably going to build a 9zero7 or other aluminum 190mm dropout frame.

Biker Boater Boarder
    I ve been riding mine in some pretty heavy snow here in Breckenridge and I have had no issues with rubbing. My clearance is about .5" on each side I dont think it will be issue. To keep on topic, I was chatin w my LBS this week and they have indicated that CO doesnt have a Spec. Rep right now, so I wonder if that will affect CO delivery dates of bikes. Its rumored there are 2 in Syeamboat, but rumor only. Im gonna do a full write up on my impression of the bike, its performance and areas I think it can be approved on hopefully soon. Its a great bike, responive in deep snow and a bone shaker at 5 psi tires on hard pack snow. I would erge you guys to be patient...it will be worth the wait. Very fun bike!
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Spec Oz are going to lose a lot of customers that pre-ordered bikes here, but will probably gain new customers when bikes are available next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    See if you can find out if you have a local bike shop that can get a hold of a Chrge Cooker Maxi, they look great and should be pretty good pricing. Not sure who brings the Charge brand to Oz now, used to be Monza.
    Muru do some very nice Ti frames and a custom build would be much more dollars though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Latest response from Spec support (yeah right)
    Hello Shane, I wish I was able to give you more information. Unfortunately due to the nature of international shipping, estimated delivery dates are often times inaccurate. Wish I had better news for you. Thank you for your continued patients.

Thing is my patience has run out Specialized!!!!!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast