Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 1106
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tadraper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    84
    [QUOTE=Anyone else catch the tire size change? Original was 4.8, now spec sheet is 4.6.

    Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

    i did notice that i assume because they had the Surly Bud and Lou on the test bikes.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: druidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    In asking around about this bike, I was also told that there is currently only one machine overseas (owned by Surly) that can make full fat tires. Even tires that are not Surly are still made by Surly's machine. Can this be true? In this day and age, how hard can it be to make a fat tire? I know it has been rumored that Specialized got their own machine to make the fat Ground Control.
    I'd love to know who started that rumour - although I could hazard a guess.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    Spoke to a dealer yesterday that said early December.
    Originally, my LBS said December. Now they seem cautiously optimistic about November.

    Keep in mind, however, I live in a region of the United States where fatbikes are not popular yet. This region may be of secondary priority or even tertiary priority for the earliest shipments. I don't know.

    Was anybody able to negotiate a significant discount on the pre-order of either model? I am not good at haggling so I only achieved a small discount on the pre-order of a Fatboy Expert. I paid $2350 instead of $2600.

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    442
    Specialized Bicycle Components

    Did specialized forget they already made a FatBoy? guess since they had the name it got reused.
    To be fair, Norco's Bigfoot is even more recent, they simply enlarged and put bigger tires on it.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    18

    2014 Fatboy Expert

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Spock View Post
    Originally, my LBS said December. Now they seem cautiously optimistic about November.

    Keep in mind, however, I live in a region of the United States where fatbikes are not popular yet. This region may be of secondary priority or even tertiary priority for the earliest shipments. I don't know.

    Was anybody able to negotiate a significant discount on the pre-order of either model? I am not good at haggling so I only achieved a small discount on the pre-order of a Fatboy Expert. I paid $2350 instead of $2600.
    $2,250 for the Expert at a shop in Arizona. They told me to figure December for delivery. This is a large Specialized shop with several stores.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tadraper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    84
    Any new NEWS on when these may ship or still November into December?

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,574
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    Specialized Bicycle Components


    Did specialized forget they already made a FatBoy?...



    I'm looking forward to seeing them on the trail

    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jfrbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    42

    Re: Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    Specialized Bicycle Components

    Did specialized forget they already made a FatBoy? guess since they had the name it got reused.
    To be fair, Norco's Bigfoot is even more recent, they simply enlarged and put bigger tires on it.
    Don't forget the fatboy was a 20" bmx bike before the really expensive heavy Beach cruiser of death

    When you have a trademark on a name why not re use it?

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wetpaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    219
    Per the Specialized employee at Iceman, the 2 fatboys here are the first two off the production line, after the show they'll go back into boxes to be sold. Still slated for shipping to dealers very end of November/December.

    I asked about rim weight/tubeless compatibility and he didn't have any information. The Specialized employee said he emailed the person who designed the rims, but he didn't share any information.

    Iceman Expo ? Photos ? Specialized?s New Ground Control Tire | FAT-BIKE.COM

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    Per the Specialized employee at Iceman, the 2 fatboys here are the first two off the production line, after the show they'll go back into boxes to be sold. Still slated for shipping to dealers very end of November/December.

    I asked about rim weight/tubeless compatibility and he didn't have any information. The Specialized employee said he emailed the person who designed the rims, but he didn't share any information.

    Iceman Expo ? Photos ? Specialized?s New Ground Control Tire | FAT-BIKE.COM
    Any word on when, or if the Ground Control Tires will be available for purchase separately from the complete Fatboy bikes?

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wetpaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    219
    I didn't ask, I imagine it will be awhile, it sounds like there are a ton of them on order from dealers.

    I tried convincing them to leave the yellow/black bike since it's the model/size that I have on order, it didn't work

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    18
    I had my LBS in Southern Arizona check today and they said delivery in late December:-( I ordered long ago (expert Fatboy). No info on tires available by themselves or rims being tubeless ready. Still waiting in the desert.

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    860
    After much arm twisting and other shenanigans I came up with the same answer. T-giving or so ship date. Hopefully I'll have mine before Hanukkah is over.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39
    Well Specialized has now lost 2 customers from my LBS since they don't seem to be in much hurry to get us bikes. I had an Expert ordered months and months ago and was really looking forward to it to ride it on the Iditarod Trail 350 this year. Myself and another guy finally lost our patience with the big S and pulled the plug today and each bought a Borealis. It sucks because I really was looking forward to the Expert, but Specialized can't expect us to wait for a "winter" bike until January or February when winter is half over.

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_Open View Post
    Well Specialized has now lost 2 customers from my LBS since they don't seem to be in much hurry to get us bikes. I had an Expert ordered months and months ago and was really looking forward to it to ride it on the Iditarod Trail 350 this year. Myself and another guy finally lost our patience with the big S and pulled the plug today and each bought a Borealis. It sucks because I really was looking forward to the Expert, but Specialized can't expect us to wait for a "winter" bike until January or February when winter is half over.
    There has been lots of second hand "my LBS said" rumors about dates other than November or December. Officially I've only heard Nov or Dec. I'm in agreement that it would be nice to have one sooner, but no promises have been broken yet. I talked to a Spec. rep in a semi trailer at a ride in Aug and he said before Jan.

    If you lost your patience already, then it didn't match the common delivery dates well. Did you hear anything different from a reputable source? I hope you got your deposit back without hassle.

  16. #66
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_Open View Post
    Well Specialized has now lost 2 customers from my LBS since they don't seem to be in much hurry to get us bikes. I had an Expert ordered months and months ago and was really looking forward to it to ride it on the Iditarod Trail 350 this year. Myself and another guy finally lost our patience with the big S and pulled the plug today and each bought a Borealis. It sucks because I really was looking forward to the Expert, but Specialized can't expect us to wait for a "winter" bike until January or February when winter is half over.
    That sucks it's gonna be a rough winter on the Borealis maybe next year you can upgrade to the Spesh
    And I love beer!!

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39
    adaycj - My LBS wasn't able to get a firm date at all for either bike from their rep, because he couldn't get a date from Specialized Canada. Mine was supposed to be in the first run (of which Canada supposedly only got 12 bikes), which was maybe December... but I know what Christmas can do to shipping times. The other bike they said could be February. I have been roaming these threads for other hints, but nothing good seemed to be said. Our shop had no issues selling us the two Yampa's that came through the door that day (they didn't even ask for deposits for the Specialized).

    bdundee - Going to be a long winter for sure dreaming of the Fatboy

  18. #68
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_Open View Post
    adaycj - My LBS wasn't able to get a firm date at all for either bike from their rep, because he couldn't get a date from Specialized Canada. Mine was supposed to be in the first run (of which Canada supposedly only got 12 bikes), which was maybe December... but I know what Christmas can do to shipping times. The other bike they said could be February. I have been roaming these threads for other hints, but nothing good seemed to be said. Our shop had no issues selling us they two Yampa's that came through the door that day (they didn't even ask for deposits for the Specialized).

    bdundee - Going to be a long winter for sure dreaming of the Fatboy
    Yeah its crazy this seems to happen every year with the fat bike industry, its almost like its a mystery when winter is. Congrats on your new ride enjoy!
    And I love beer!!

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    73
    Glad to hear you got a new ride. It does seem that Specialized should post regional dates on their web page. I can appreciate the LBS not making up dates. It reminds me of the time I ordered a new Jeep. The order tracking system for a $30k (USD) brand new 2008 vehicle was similar to asking a room of 4 year olds to remember their sister's birthday. The Jeep was over six months late, and I'll never buy from that company again.

    One of my local LBS told be he couldn't imagine that they would be later than October. When pressed he said that his rep said Nov. or even Dec for a delivery. The same LBS wanted 100% $ down and was convinced they would all be sold before delivery. I don't appreciate his speculation on the situation because it adds to the BS about false delivery dates. Plus it made it seem he was more interested in my money than my continued business. I'm sure if I called today he would just blame Specialized for a late date that he made up and still ask for 100% down at full MSRP.

    I've got my expectations set that I will be on my Fatboy by Jan 1, 2014. From my posts in this thread you can tell I'm surfing here for better news too.

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    15
    Im anxiously waiting for the Fat Boy as well. I check in with the LBS (often), this forum and web sites (daily) hoping to hear that the release is here. Getting a fat bike has become an obsession and the Fat Boy is the top pick for me. The pics with the Ground Controls only makes the wait worse. That said, I keep having to remind myself that Ive never read/heard anything from Specialized since the initial Just In article whereby the S Product Manager stated, Were hoping to have the bikes available to purchase late-2013. While I really wish S would deliver it now, its still in line with what was stated. However, if late 2013 (mid December) comes and Im still not riding a new fatty, I may move on to my 2nd pick.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    63
    Couldn't of said it better myself. I think as soon as I saw the just in article I was at my LBS getting on the list for this bike. I know my store is thinking Nov, however my opinion we'll see them Dec, however if it's late Dec, I'll see if I can grap my 2nd choice.


    Quote Originally Posted by NogginBuster View Post
    Im anxiously waiting for the Fat Boy as well. I check in with the LBS (often), this forum and web sites (daily) hoping to hear that the release is here. Getting a fat bike has become an obsession and the Fat Boy is the top pick for me. The pics with the Ground Controls only makes the wait worse. That said, I keep having to remind myself that Ive never read/heard anything from Specialized since the initial Just In article whereby the S Product Manager stated, Were hoping to have the bikes available to purchase late-2013. While I really wish S would deliver it now, its still in line with what was stated. However, if late 2013 (mid December) comes and Im still not riding a new fatty, I may move on to my 2nd pick.

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    Any word on when, or if the Ground Control Tires will be available for purchase separately from the complete Fatboy bikes?
    From the Spec guys at Iceman expo...."no tires, no hubs and no wheels available separately." At this point, he stated their supply chain is struggling to cope with current orders for bikes.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,476
    I am in the same boat as everyone else. My dealer told me to expect something late November. If I don't see something by late December, I will move to option 2.

  24. #74
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,378

    Re: Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

    I was told by my friend who owns the Specialized shop in town that they told him not until December will they have the fatboys to the shops. He has 12 on order with 9 already payed down. This is the same shop who originally correctly told me the name and price of the fatboy and I posted it here first, so they have been correct so far. I'm not getting one but thought I would share the info.

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    269
    Well here in Oz we won't see any bikes till late Jan. Pissed off as we have been given confirmed dates of Nov,10, then Dec 15 anemia Jan 12 for eta landed date I work for a spec concept store and told them exactly what I thought today. Looks like option 2 for me now.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Specialized Vice vs. Specialized Tactic vs. Fox Flux vs. 661 Recon
    By Innota in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 05:45 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 07:51 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 09:43 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 08:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •