Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728
Results 1,351 to 1,376 of 1376
    banned
    Sep 2008
    zaxmalloys a large. that shop tried to sell him a med orange cuz it's all they had.

i'm 511.5 with a normal torso and a large is perfect, just like their large regular mtb's. no reason to go smaller just cuz it's a fatbike. get the ett/cockpit length that is correct, not so much the standover height. you need more standover height? pick another manufacturer whose frames have lower standover height frames per size.

stoked to ride this am! wood stove is cranking!

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    zaxmalloys a large. that shop tried to sell him a med orange cuz it's all they had.

i'm 511.5 with a normal torso and a large is perfect, just like their large regular mtb's. no reason to go smaller just cuz it's a fatbike. get the ett/cockpit length that is correct, not so much the standover height. you need more standover height? pick another manufacturer whose frames have lower standover height frames per size.

stoked to ride this am! wood stove is cranking!

rog
    Thanks for all the input. I'm going to go back today and try it again.

UPDATE
    Went back to the store today, re-tested a large and a medium. Realized on the medium I was getting up out of the seat often - something I didn't notice yesterday.

While there was better stand over on the medium, and overall it felt more secure and maneuverable, the more I pedaled it, noticed feeling a bit cramped during normal ride conditions.

So, I have a large orange fatboy on order...I don't know if I'm more excited or exhausted...
    Last edited by zaxmalloy; 10-12-2014 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Update

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hmm.. I found a large and Med to try out back to back.
    Changed back and forth several time.
    me 5'10 (32 inseam) and lean toward smaller bikes as they are more playful.

My conclusion.... either of these bike will work for me.
    I would run a bit shorter then stock stem to make the large work, think stock is a 70 mm or a size med and run a bit longer then stock stem, stock is a 60mm. I did order a pro in size Med and will add a 80 or 90 mm stem and it should be perfect.
    This is a year round bike for me and I wanted the smaller feel for non snow fun and of course a bit more standover is a good thing.
    I was really surprised to find that both sizes were totally buyable for me.
    Last edited by Rightcoaster; 10-13-2014 at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightcoaster View Post

I was really surprised to find that both sizes where totally buyable for me.
    I had the same experience , went for the M . My measurements are 5.6 with a 31 inseam , like most monkey's , "long" arms and legs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

I would run a bit shorter then stock stem to make the large work, think stock is a 70 mm or a size med and run a bit longer then stock stem, stock is a 60mm. I did order a pro in size Med and will add a 80 or 90 mm stem and it should be perfect.
    This is a year round bike for me and I wanted the smaller feel for non snow fun and of course a bit more standover is a good thing.
    I was really surprised to find that both sizes where totally buyable for me.
    Sounds like you made a good choice....you're right about the playful aspect of it. Much better control on the smaller one....and I to was very surprised how it seemed either one could work. When I've tested bikes before, it always seemed to be obvious...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
    Sounds like you made a good choice....you're right about the playful aspect of it. Much better control on the smaller one....and I to was very surprised how it seemed either one could work. When I've tested bikes before, it always seemed to be obvious...
    I agree with everyone on Med = playful vs. a Large, etc. Next question to ask yourself is how will the bike (primarily) be ridden? I'm looking to do some winter rides/races that will be up to 40miles in length. For that and me, the Large makes sense as I will be more "stretched out." If I was going to use the Fatboy as a dirt jumper, or short single track bike, the Medium makes more sense. As I said earlier, I rode some challenging & technical single track this weekend and the Large was awesome.
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    I am barely 5-10 and fit right between the sized. The large with a shorter stem is a great fit. I generally go medium but i like the extra room and longer wheelbase of the large fatboy. The medium felt cramped.
    13 SJ Evo, 14 Aurum, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Did specialized forget they already made a FatBoy? guess since they had the name it got reused.
    Perhaps you've forgotten, but before that cruzer the Specialized Fatboy was a bmx bike.

mtbr member
    several companies have done that with their fat bike. Its cheaper and easier to use a name you already "own" and Fatboy is a perfect fit. Same goes with the Norco Bigfoot. The Bigfoot was a burly all-mountain hardtail and is now a fatbike.

mtbr member
    Used Fat Boy Expert for sale (medium size) on C.L.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu-Max View Post
    Used Fat Boy Expert for sale (medium size) on C.L.
    the guy sounds like a tool. and he wants too much money for it. 2000.00 max based purely on the fact that he's put his grubby little meat (in his case prolly vegan) hooks on it.

rog

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm stoked the LBS originally said end of October for my Green Medium but now said should be in the next couple days. To have it by the weekend would be great!
    Need to find some pedals and hit the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If I buy the fat boy base model how hard is it to conver to thru axle and put a bluto on it?
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i replaced the fork myself.. Real easy.. Just make sure measure 3x before you cut.. Thru axle hub had to be relaced to the rims and used the same spokes.. It took half a day for a lbs to have it done.. brought it the afternoon after my ride then got it back the next day .. Was riding again that afternoon..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So you had to buy new hubs? Or can they be converted?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    You need a 150x15 hub and you have to rebuild the rim to the hub. The stock hub wont convert.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That sucks
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Cost me $150 for a hub and to have the wheel rebuilt. Really not that bad and worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    That sucks
    10 page thread on the subject right here: FatBoy with Bluto?
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

Loser
    I put a 150mm Surly hub on to convert, if I was to do it over again, I would buy a 135 Hope hub and get the end caps to convert it to 150, that way I could easily go back and forth to the carbon fork in the winter.

mtbr member
    Do/will people actually swap back to the rigid fork?
    I considered, but after riding the Bluto, there is no way I'd go back. Even for sand and snow riding I feel the Bluto offers better traction and ride quality. The only thing the stock carbon fork has going for it is the weight.

Loser
    I'm not sure whether I will swap in the winter or not. If I don't then it doesn't make a difference. I love the Bluto so the likelihood of swapping back are low.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

I was really surprised to find that both sizes were totally buyable for me.
    Ok I found out the pro I ordered is back ordered...the kiss of death for a guy with ADD...lol Spent more time on a med and a large, flopped back to a large bought the one they had in stock. It is less playful, but the Large feels right riding and especially climbing, It will take longer getting used to the $%#$ Grip shift then the size. took a bit of vid below of the break in Now for new pedals, cranks, bluto, shifters...etc

https://vimeo.com/109395581?utm_sour...N8NzcwMQ%3D%3D

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10 and bought a Large too, it fits great, but I do have two issues. With a 125mm Command Post inserted all the way, the top setting is too high. I also put a 120mm Bluto, which raises the top tube up a bit and I barely clear standing above the bike.
    I do love the longer wheelbase and fit of the Large frame though and have had zero issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Large fatnboy here, I'm 5' 11" with bluto 100mm and wow did I smash myself in deep snow on a ridge. I think in scared all the wild life away with my blood curdling scream. The stand over height is the only thing I'm not happy with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hans2vt View Post
    Large fatnboy here, I'm 5' 11" with bluto 100mm and wow did I smash myself in deep snow on a ridge. I think in scared all the wild life away with my blood curdling scream. The stand over height is the only thing I'm not happy with.
    Hah! You sir, have posted the first message that makes me happy about my choice to roll MEDIUM. I've had buyers remorse since day two. Unhappy with the compact cockpit. Unfortunately, I'm blessed with long torso/short legs.

I feel better now.

Thanks
    Jason

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728