Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Results 1,301 to 1,376 of 1376
    mtbr member
    Its like that with all brands. They get a huge discount on components because they buy in bulk. Thats why a lot of times it better to buy a full bike and sell off what you dont want.
    14 Aurum, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyvt View Post
    I'm going to be test riding a fatboy comp in Stowe on Saturday.

Hey rog, are you any relation to "Rec Rog" who used to hang out in the NEK during the mid 80's?
    No, i hung out in the nek from the late 90's till around 06' when i sold a second home there.

rog

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    No, i hung out in the nek from the late 90's till around 06' when i sold a second home there.

rog
    Gotcha and thanks for following up. Rec Rog was riding mtn bikes in the E. Burke area when I met him around '84. Lost touch with him a couple years later when I moved to the shoreline.

Looking forward to riding the Fat Boy demo this weekend. Then the big question will be green or orange.

banned
    Sep 2008
    enjoy the fb. i'm partial to the orange. it's the total hojo's bike with the orange/blue combo.

rog

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's pretty much the story of building up any bike from frame up rather than buying complete unless you have the time to sit and cherry pick deals online/locally while you slowly complete the bike.

I did that with my Straggler and ended up spending just slightly more than the complete, but ended with a way better build. I took a good few months gathering the pieces for that build.

I just recently priced out rebuilding the bike if I just went with the best deals I could get online or from the shop and it would be nearly a grand more than I spent.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    enjoy the fb. i'm partial to the orange. it's the total hojo's bike with the orange/blue combo.

rog
    last winter while skiing down from hojos someone blew by me on a fat bike. Totally awesome. Could it have been you?

mtbr member
    Just went into local Spec dealer in Oz and mentioned about the axle problems (mine is ok)and they said to bring it in and they will change it anyway

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Anyone put 45nrth Dillinger 5 studded on the Fatboy yet?

What the clearance like in the rear yolk?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Twimby View Post
    Just went into local Spec dealer in Oz and mentioned about the axle problems (mine is ok)and they said to bring it in and they will change it anyway
    holy crap.. Now i'm worried.. How do you know if your axle is failing? Aside from the obvious.. Any signs i should be looking for? With my bluto installed, i find myself doing jumps on the trails and on the streets ( on and off the sidewalks ).. That couldn't be good for the rear axle right? When i constantly land on it.. Should i be concerned at this point and take it in?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    holy crap.. Now i'm worried.. How do you know if your axle is failing? Aside from the obvious.. Any signs i should be looking for? With my bluto installed, i find myself doing jumps on the trails and on the streets ( on and off the sidewalks ).. That couldn't be good for the rear axle right? When i constantly land on it.. Should i be concerned at this point and take it in?
    Like I said mine is Ok, but they are going to do it anyway with first service
    Depends what model you have. Mine is a first release Expert.
    Newer ones have the update
    Mine is used more for beach and sandtracks, still prefer my Shinobi on the tracks. Done around 1200kms on the Fatty
    If you go back a page or three in this thread Jisch explains about his breaking, he has Bluto and sound like he goes hard on tracks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Like I said mine is Ok, but they are going to do it anyway with first service
    Depends what model you have. Mine is a first release Expert.
    Newer ones have the update
    Mine is used more for beach and sandtracks, still prefer my Shinobi on the tracks. Done around 1200kms on the Fatty
    If you go back a page or three in this thread Jisch explains about his breaking, he has Bluto and sound like he goes hard on tracks
    Yeah.. Bluto makes me go hard and fast on single downhill tracks as well.. I have the black/gold fatboy, purchased barely 2 mos ago... I am assuming when you meant newer ones, you are talking about 2015's.. How can i find out if i have the updated fatboy hub? Someone posted on another thread that when they got their hub replaced, they noticed an allen key hole on one of the splines.. i don't have that on mine.. Can anyone chime in who had their hub replaced if this is accurate? my fatboy is used mainly on trails and streets.. Sometimes on the beach.. No snow.. San diego, ca

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

I have the black and yellow Fatboy, got it last spring, it'd be good to know of mine is affected. Is there any way to tell?

Loser
    The axle failure (at least on mine) was not catastrophic, I'm fairly certain I did an entire ride with it broken. I could hear a grinding/skipping noise coming from the back end - it almost sounded like my tire was rubbing on the seatstay when cornering hard, but the wheel still spun and I didn't even notice it when I was just riding along upright. I think the grinding I was hearing was the two halves of the axle spinning against each other at certain times.

I have also broken an axle (actually two) on a Hope through axle conversion (Hope messed that one up big time) on another bike and I rode those broken for many rides. The skewer (or through axle) holds everything in place while riding.

I'm not advocating riding with a broken axle, just saying that if your axle breaks, it's not going to pitch you over the bars or anything.

You can tell if your axle is broken by taking the rear wheel off and pulling on the cassette, if it's broken you'll be able to pull the cassette off (the freewheel will come with it). I understand they went from aluminum to steel, but you'd have to pull the hub apart to figure out which you have (a magnet test would prove it). On mine they said they also replaced the freewheel saying that real problem is that the freehub scored the surface of the axle. I haven't taken mine apart post replacement to see if I could see a difference, since I never had the original one apart, I probably couldn't tell anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Riding heavy through a extremely rocky section today. Around mile 5 I started hearing a rubbing sound like a whirring. No impacts whatsoever. Kept going another 5 till back at the car. Sure sounds like this axle problem. It's gonna be a 90 minute drive to the bike shop for warranty.

Last week at a bike shop I saw a 2015 Expert with a totally different rear hub than the ones on all the other Fatboys I've seen. Looks like maybe they are changing the hubs for a new design.

Loser
    Yep, that sounds like the axle broke.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Buddy of mine has had his fatboy expert for less than 6 months and has had is rear axle and his bottom bracket go to $hit already.

rog

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Once in awhile I'll hear a rubbing sound from the rear wheel, like the tire is rubbing on the frame but no marks on the frame and the wheel is sturdy, also I did change my cassette awhile back and did need to use the wrench so I guess it might be just my tire pressure which is at 8 PSI could be causing the rubbing effect while making sharp turns?

Loser
    I doubt it, I bet your axle is broken. I have ridden much lower than 8PSI without any rub - and if there were rub, you would see it on your chainstay. Pulling off your cassette is not easy, I had to really pull hard to get i to come off when my axle was broken.

I did a 19 mile ride today over technical trails with a fast crew. I did great, I kept getting comments like "that bike seems to just float over everything while I'm back here getting tossed around" (most of the others were on 29er HTs). I think I sold a few Fatboys today :-D

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ^^ Heh, tell them to call me. We have them in stock!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by iscariot View Post

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I wish they would make a stronger freehub on the Fatboy or use a different cassette. I swapped rear cassettes on my 2015 FB (May 2014 build) and the Sunrace had chewed up the freehub after 30 miles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I just put my 45NRTH Dillinger 5 studded tires on my stock Fatboy rims (90mm) and they have plenty of room in the rear stays and yolk.

The Dillinger 5's (advertised as a 4.8" tire) are actually narrower, shorter, and have more clearance than the stock Ground Control 4.8.

The paddles down the centerline of the Dillinger 5 look like they will move snow well, and the side lugs are deep and well supported.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I just put my 45NRTH Dillinger 5 studded tires on my stock Fatboy rims (90mm) and they have plenty of room in the rear stays and yolk.

The Dillinger 5's (advertised as a 4.8" tire) are actually narrower, shorter, and have more clearance than the stock Ground Control 4.8.

The paddles down the centerline of the Dillinger 5 look like they will move snow well, and the side lugs are deep and well supported.

Good to know they fit. Dang are they expensive though! Can't find them under $200 a tire at any place that has them in stock.....

mtbr member
    Received my Fatboy this week and in order to save some weight i swapped out the innertubes for some lighter ones (SchwalbeTube SV 13F Freeride) , gained 800 GR .
    But !! : The Tyre has a woble where the valve comes through , when i put more pressure in it's gone , but with 0.5 Bar (wich i prefer) it's there again. i know the innertubes are for 3.0 max but was told they work very well withe GC's. Anyone has this "problem" too ? Better put the Spesh innertubes back in ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Christ D View Post
    Received my Fatboy this week and in order to save some weight i swapped out the innertubes for some lighter ones (SchwalbeTube SV 13F Freeride) , gained 800 GR .
    But !! : The Tyre has a woble where the valve comes through , when i put more pressure in it's gone , but with 0.5 Bar (wich i prefer) it's there again. i know the innertubes are for 3.0 max but was told they work very well withe GC's. Anyone has this "problem" too ? Better put the Spesh innertubes back in ?
    I'm 5'11" 175#. I'm running 26" x 2.3-3.0" Specialized tubes that are about 290g to 310g per tube, and they work fine at any pressure I've run (7 to 11 psi) for relatively aggressive summer technical trail riding (rocks, roots, baby heads) and high speed flow trails.

mtbr member
    Bit of a novice question here - are you guys greasing under this cap? I had some weird rubbing sound from the back end today and couldn't figure out what the hell it was. When I pulled the wheel off, this cap was loose, and it's not greased at all under it.

Should I grease this? And just hand-tigthen it before putting it back on? That's the stock hub/axle, i just changed out the rotors/cassette.

// '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // '17 Cannondale Scalpel-Si
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

Grease it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Fatboys In Stock - N. Aurora

Semi-SPAM

Pedal and Spoke
    (A great shop in N. Aurora, IL) just took delivery on two new Fatboys today. They received a Medium Comp (in Orange) and Large Comp (in Green).
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Brake Question. Have the Expert with the Shimano brakes. A while ago the back brake lost power and screamed like a Banshee. Would improve after warming up, but would scream again start of each ride. Figured pad was contaminated, so changed and problem fixed.
    Had a knee injury and rode for the first in 5 weeks today. Both brakes screamed and no power. Where fine last ride.
    Long weekend here and away from town, so pulled off, sanded and filed. There was a real carbon gloss to them. Scream on front gone, rear half gone, but way less power on both.

banned
    Sep 2008
    bb7

rog

mtbr member
    bb7

rog
    My mates Moony has those. Don't like them.

Everyone hates Avids , but my 7's are quiet and have not missed a beat on my Shinobi.

banned
    Sep 2008
    my last bike that i had for almost 10 years had a pair. worked perfect 100% of the time.

my cooker has em now. wonderful

i'm a 20 year shop guy and can buy any brake dirt cheap. bb7 ftw.

rog

mtbr member
    my last bike that i had for almost 10 years had a pair. worked perfect 100% of the time.

my cooker has em now. wonderful

i'm a 20 year shop guy and can buy any brake dirt cheap. bb7 ftw.

rog
    As a shop guy any input to my question would be appreciated
    Working fine last time I rode. Now doing this. I do a mainly beach riding on Fatty,
    does salt have an influence?
    Always wash it down. But maybe not last time. Tore medial surfing and
    went home in pain, maybe did not wash her down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Great ride on my comp today.

Went up Arroyo Seco behind JPL in Pasadena/Altadena and the trail has almost completely changed since I was on it 2 months ago. (Monsoon rain changed all the debris and knocked a few trees down I think)

I bought the Fatboy specifically for the conditions up this canyon (and generally around me in SoCal). Dry super hard pack with a layer of decomposing granite/sand on top.

I've been riding my 29er with 2.3 tires and just couldn't get grip in corners or climbing.

The Fatboy CRUSHES this trail (read "I was right!").
    I'd still like a Bluto and will get one when finances allow. But WOW, I rode further in than ever before and came back out faster.
    I found the limit of grip a couple of times (in corners) but even that was totally controlled and recoverable.

SO, I bought a Large and should probably be on an XL, but XL just felt too big for single track ass hauling.

This bike is great but here are my perfect world notes for specialized (basically build the XL with the L seat tube/top tube length/height);

1. Top tube .5-1cm longer
    2. 2-3cm taller head tube
    3. Brakes
    4. 1-2cm higher BB
    5. Better cogset
    6. Trigger style shifters

I'll work backwards,
    -6 I actually like Gripshift but running this bike rigid gets my hands bouncing all over the place at speed. I know they are cheaper and "for the snow guys wearing big gloves" but they aren't working for me. They'll be changed soonish.

-5 The gear set is already well documented as crap. I agree.

-4 My first MTB was a Cannondale SM800 'beast if the east' with a super high BB, I LOVED it. I've had to adjust to lower stuff since, but the thing is mashing my pedals and feet everywhere. Before you say rider error, let me say that it doesn't happen on anything else I own.
    I thought it must be the wider BB but now the I've bottomed the pedal multiple times, rather than just running my toe into a rock, I think it's height not width plus soft 4.6 tires. They went up 10.5mm from the Crave but I think they shorted it by 1-2cm
    I'll air up the tires a bit for now and just be more mindful I guess. Once I have a 100mm Bluto it'll be a little better I s'pose.

-3 I have tektro Gemin brakes. They suck like everyone says. Maybe 75 miles on my bike and they are stopping just ok. They are , however, very good at squealing, chattering, and the front has a pad constantly riding the rotor. XT I. The near future. I read up above this about Avid BB7 and I don't disagree, I have them on my Slingshot. But I'm riding this thing faster and I do't think they'd keep up.

-2 -1 The other 2 are just fit issues for me. I'm 6'3" which almost always ends up on the L vs XL threshold when a manufacturer lists rider height. I usually opt for the smaller bike for handling and my semi short legged (for my height) standover issues. The XL was a good fit but the top tube was right up against my nuts. Today when the chain jumped off just as I was digging deep to crank uphill in too tall a gear, would have caused me some groinal distress.

And finally (sorry for all the words) I bought the 2015 Fatboy "comp". I have read about hub problems on here, mostly on the 2014 I think. I weigh 240lbs without a full camelback and gear. I will be jumping any and every thing I can. I'll let you know if/when the rear axle lets go and what SBC does about it. I doubt things got changed in the hub since the bike is almost identical in every other way.
    Last edited by GRpufnstuf; 09-27-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Spellinz

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Aren't there 2 pad compound options from Shimano, one organic and one metallic? Maybe switch pads( if I'm not being crazy about compounds options) salt and salt air are bad for everything. The Shimano brakes are supposed to be the end all

EDIT: check this out...

http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830817097.pdf

those are XT parts but the pads are the same-ish, maybe?

parts 18-21 show resin and metal pads as options. I bet you can switch and get a good result.

Brake Question. Have the Expert with the Shimano brakes. A while ago the back brake lost power and screamed like a Banshee. Would improve after warming up, but would scream again start of each ride. Figured pad was contaminated, so changed and problem fixed.
    Had a knee injury and rode for the first in 5 weeks today. Both brakes screamed and no power. Where fine last ride.
    Long weekend here and away from town, so pulled off, sanded and filed. There was a real carbon gloss to them. Scream on front gone, rear half gone, but way less power on both.
    Last edited by GRpufnstuf; 09-27-2014 at 11:33 PM.

banned
    Sep 2008
    6'3? You should be on an xl.

For going fast, bb7 or any brakes are fine. Brakes just slow you down. Touch em as lil as possible and you'll go faster.

Nice pics!

rog

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I've heard both of these before!

I like fast bikes and fast (stopping) brakes.

as for height vs size...

here is an example from Yeti's website...

bike: SB95c

FIT

SMALL 5'3" (160 CM) - 5'7" (171 CM)
    MEDIUM 5'7" (171 CM) - 5'11" (180 CM)
    LARGE 5'11" (180 CM) - 6'3" (191 CM)
    X-LARGE 6'3" (191 CM) - 6'6" (198 CM)

This happens ALL the time and it is pretty spot on in my experience.

You can see my 6'3" at L and XL, you don't see my 34" inseam (on a tall day) making me ride the Large even though the top tube is generally too short. Especially since my height is primarily torso and neck oriented.

The XL rode nice but it didn't really fit the way I needed it to.

I've always had this problem. part of why I LOVED my old Cannondale SM800 so much. they had ludicrous head tube lengths (for the time) and sloping top tubes when almost no one else did.

I will be looking for a used XL fatboy frame to swap parts to and try it out down the road.

For now I am super happy with my Large bike. You know, once I get all the stock parts swapped off it.

For going fast, bb7 or any brakes are fine. Brakes just slow you down. Touch em as lil as possible and you'll go faster.

Nice pics!

rog

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

What he said...

Nice pics!

rog
    BB7 's Work great, This Vid here...
    I am on Stock bb7 brakes, no fancy red pads.
    One finger braking for lock up, and great lever feel for dragging rear for wheelies and such......
    You could up grade pads, but not needed.
    If they Lock up when needed they have all the power you will ever need!
    Again, "Brakes just slow you down"
    I read so many post that say avids Don't have power...makes me crazy!

Also; I ride an 18 pugs, with a set back post (5'10) spent a few hours on a med fatboy, it seemed right, but am unable to try out a large. The Med did feel a tad tight for long climbs, and the seatpost seemed very high in the sky.
    I will be adding a dropper post, with no setback.
    I too usually go for the smaller size. but, Any thoughts from you guys that spend a lot of time on snow about sizing?? Torn..

Thank you

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GRpufnstuf View Post
    making me ride the Large even though the top tube is generally too short. Especially since my height is primarily torso and neck oriented.
    even more reason why you should be on the xl.

top tube length/fit trumps standover by a long shot.

rog

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightcoaster View Post
    BB7 's Work great, This Vid here...
    I am on Stock bb7 brakes, no fancy red pads.
    One finger braking for lock up, and great lever feel for dragging rear for wheelies and such......
    You could up grade pads, but not needed.
    If they Lock up when needed they have all the power you will ever need!
    Again, "Brakes just slow you down"
    I read so many post that say avids Don't have power...makes me crazy!

Thank you
    i don't hate my Avids at all. they work fine. And I know cable trumps hydro in the cold cold.

I wonder if you're weight has anything to do with quality of stopping power and fade though? I am 100% Clydesdale and I can tell you my Avids fade out pretty quick on my 29er Slingshot

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

rog
    Not for me. it's not that it's close when I stand over the XLarge, "things" are already touching.

When I get a Bluto it'll move up more, but then move out of the way more (i hope)

My bike did drop the chain yesterday and I popped out of my pedals and ended up skating on my cleats while I slowed the bike. That would have been more painful on the XL for sure

If I were snow camping or doing other slow and steady riding I'd be on the XL

Longer stem and move the seat back some and I'm happy and comfortable on the Large. my notes to specialized were for my perfect world, straight out of the box fit

mtbr member
    Hope 's , never failed me even in our wet/snow/freezin' winters overhere in Belgium. Will be the first upgrade i'll do on my fatboy ,from Tektro's to Hope's .Well , after the tubeless thing of course. tho' the Tektro's work well ....for now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

rog
    Negative ghost rider the pattern is full.....

I'm in the same boat, the XL fit my upper body perfectly but I had negative clearance (aka soprano) on standover. Since I'm planning on using the bike frequently in the snow, I wanted as much standover as I could get. A Large with a longer angled stem and the bike fits great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Picked up this bad boy yesterday. First one sold in Anchorage. It's been raining for two days, but I couldn't wait so we went for a little spin today on some single track horse trails.

Love them pro's... did you by chance weigh it. Thinking its around 30 lbs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    First post be gentle!
    Ordered my first MTN bike this morning a Fatboy but have to wait a couple weeks for a medium green. This wait is going to kill me and my wallet because now all i can do is accessorize until it arrives!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Slow View Post
    First post be gentle!
    Ordered my first MTN bike this morning a Fatboy but have to wait a couple weeks for a medium green. This wait is going to kill me and my wallet because now all i can do is accessorize until it arrives!
    Congrats! Question for you and other Fatboy owners: I am 6'2", 32" inseam and my hybrid bike is a Large Giant Escape. Last weekend I test rode a large Fatboy - felt great! This weekend I went back to a different branch of the same LBS chain, and they put me on a Medium and I was surprised at how good it felt when all the other fat bikes I've been testing have been an L. Tested an L Expert as well and it didn't feel oversized....but have pretty much decided I don't need the extra features. But they didn't have that great orange in a size L, only the M. The sales guy went on about it like "yeah it's a fat bike so the change in size isn't that unusual." The Medium did feel more lively...but worry if it's not the right size, longer rides aren't going to be comfortable.

Is this normal?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I struggled with sizing at 5'10". The medium felt cramped but the large felt great. Problem is the stand over height on the large is just too tight. I went with the med.

Loser
    I'm 6' with a 34.5 inseam, I have a large Fatboy, feels great. At your height and inseam you must have a long torso, I'm surprised a medium didn't feel cramped.

mtbr member

Specialized Fat Boy ETA?

5.6 with a 31 inseam , went with the medium and really happy with it. Especially for the 40+ mile rides .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
    Congrats! Question for you and other Fatboy owners: I am 6'2", 32" inseam and my hybrid bike is a Large Giant Escape. Last weekend I test rode a large Fatboy - felt great! Tested an L Expert as well and it didn't feel oversized....but have pretty much decided I don't need the extra features. But they didn't have that great orange in a size L, only the M. The sales guy went on about it like "yeah it's a fat bike so the change in size isn't that unusual." The Medium did feel more lively...but worry if it's not the right size, longer rides aren't going to be comfortable.

Is this normal?
    I'm 6'1" with a 32 inseam and ride a L. I also swapped in a 90mm stem as the 75 felt too short. Took the Fatboy out to some fairly technical trails yesterday and the bike felt great.

banned
    Sep 2008
    zaxmalloys a large. that shop tried to sell him a med orange cuz it's all they had.

i'm 511.5 with a normal torso and a large is perfect, just like their large regular mtb's. no reason to go smaller just cuz it's a fatbike. get the ett/cockpit length that is correct, not so much the standover height. you need more standover height? pick another manufacturer whose frames have lower standover height frames per size.

stoked to ride this am! wood stove is cranking!

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    zaxmalloys a large. that shop tried to sell him a med orange cuz it's all they had.

i'm 511.5 with a normal torso and a large is perfect, just like their large regular mtb's. no reason to go smaller just cuz it's a fatbike. get the ett/cockpit length that is correct, not so much the standover height. you need more standover height? pick another manufacturer whose frames have lower standover height frames per size.

stoked to ride this am! wood stove is cranking!

rog
    Thanks for all the input. I'm going to go back today and try it again.

UPDATE
    Went back to the store today, re-tested a large and a medium. Realized on the medium I was getting up out of the seat often - something I didn't notice yesterday.

While there was better stand over on the medium, and overall it felt more secure and maneuverable, the more I pedaled it, noticed feeling a bit cramped during normal ride conditions.

So, I have a large orange fatboy on order...I don't know if I'm more excited or exhausted...
    Last edited by zaxmalloy; 10-12-2014 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Update

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hmm.. I found a large and Med to try out back to back.
    Changed back and forth several time.
    me 5'10 (32 inseam) and lean toward smaller bikes as they are more playful.

My conclusion.... either of these bike will work for me.
    I would run a bit shorter then stock stem to make the large work, think stock is a 70 mm or a size med and run a bit longer then stock stem, stock is a 60mm. I did order a pro in size Med and will add a 80 or 90 mm stem and it should be perfect.
    This is a year round bike for me and I wanted the smaller feel for non snow fun and of course a bit more standover is a good thing.
    I was really surprised to find that both sizes were totally buyable for me.
    Last edited by Rightcoaster; 10-13-2014 at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member

I was really surprised to find that both sizes where totally buyable for me.
    I had the same experience , went for the M . My measurements are 5.6 with a 31 inseam , like most monkey's , "long" arms and legs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

I would run a bit shorter then stock stem to make the large work, think stock is a 70 mm or a size med and run a bit longer then stock stem, stock is a 60mm. I did order a pro in size Med and will add a 80 or 90 mm stem and it should be perfect.
    This is a year round bike for me and I wanted the smaller feel for non snow fun and of course a bit more standover is a good thing.
    I was really surprised to find that both sizes where totally buyable for me.
    Sounds like you made a good choice....you're right about the playful aspect of it. Much better control on the smaller one....and I to was very surprised how it seemed either one could work. When I've tested bikes before, it always seemed to be obvious...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
    Sounds like you made a good choice....you're right about the playful aspect of it. Much better control on the smaller one....and I to was very surprised how it seemed either one could work. When I've tested bikes before, it always seemed to be obvious...
    I agree with everyone on Med = playful vs. a Large, etc. Next question to ask yourself is how will the bike (primarily) be ridden? I'm looking to do some winter rides/races that will be up to 40miles in length. For that and me, the Large makes sense as I will be more "stretched out." If I was going to use the Fatboy as a dirt jumper, or short single track bike, the Medium makes more sense. As I said earlier, I rode some challenging & technical single track this weekend and the Large was awesome.

mtbr member
    I am barely 5-10 and fit right between the sized. The large with a shorter stem is a great fit. I generally go medium but i like the extra room and longer wheelbase of the large fatboy. The medium felt cramped.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Did specialized forget they already made a FatBoy? guess since they had the name it got reused.
    Perhaps you've forgotten, but before that cruzer the Specialized Fatboy was a bmx bike.

mtbr member
    several companies have done that with their fat bike. Its cheaper and easier to use a name you already "own" and Fatboy is a perfect fit. Same goes with the Norco Bigfoot. The Bigfoot was a burly all-mountain hardtail and is now a fatbike.

mtbr member
    Used Fat Boy Expert for sale (medium size) on C.L.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu-Max View Post
    Used Fat Boy Expert for sale (medium size) on C.L.
    the guy sounds like a tool. and he wants too much money for it. 2000.00 max based purely on the fact that he's put his grubby little meat (in his case prolly vegan) hooks on it.

rog

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm stoked the LBS originally said end of October for my Green Medium but now said should be in the next couple days. To have it by the weekend would be great!
    Need to find some pedals and hit the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If I buy the fat boy base model how hard is it to conver to thru axle and put a bluto on it?
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i replaced the fork myself.. Real easy.. Just make sure measure 3x before you cut.. Thru axle hub had to be relaced to the rims and used the same spokes.. It took half a day for a lbs to have it done.. brought it the afternoon after my ride then got it back the next day .. Was riding again that afternoon..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So you had to buy new hubs? Or can they be converted?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    You need a 150x15 hub and you have to rebuild the rim to the hub. The stock hub wont convert.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That sucks
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Cost me $150 for a hub and to have the wheel rebuilt. Really not that bad and worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    That sucks
    10 page thread on the subject right here: FatBoy with Bluto?

Loser
    I put a 150mm Surly hub on to convert, if I was to do it over again, I would buy a 135 Hope hub and get the end caps to convert it to 150, that way I could easily go back and forth to the carbon fork in the winter.

mtbr member
    Do/will people actually swap back to the rigid fork?
    I considered, but after riding the Bluto, there is no way I'd go back. Even for sand and snow riding I feel the Bluto offers better traction and ride quality. The only thing the stock carbon fork has going for it is the weight.

Loser
    I'm not sure whether I will swap in the winter or not. If I don't then it doesn't make a difference. I love the Bluto so the likelihood of swapping back are low.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

I was really surprised to find that both sizes were totally buyable for me.
    Ok I found out the pro I ordered is back ordered...the kiss of death for a guy with ADD...lol Spent more time on a med and a large, flopped back to a large bought the one they had in stock. It is less playful, but the Large feels right riding and especially climbing, It will take longer getting used to the $%#$ Grip shift then the size. took a bit of vid below of the break in Now for new pedals, cranks, bluto, shifters...etc

https://vimeo.com/109395581?utm_sour...N8NzcwMQ%3D%3D

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10 and bought a Large too, it fits great, but I do have two issues. With a 125mm Command Post inserted all the way, the top setting is too high. I also put a 120mm Bluto, which raises the top tube up a bit and I barely clear standing above the bike.
    I do love the longer wheelbase and fit of the Large frame though and have had zero issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Large fatnboy here, I'm 5' 11" with bluto 100mm and wow did I smash myself in deep snow on a ridge. I think in scared all the wild life away with my blood curdling scream. The stand over height is the only thing I'm not happy with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hans2vt View Post
    Large fatnboy here, I'm 5' 11" with bluto 100mm and wow did I smash myself in deep snow on a ridge. I think in scared all the wild life away with my blood curdling scream. The stand over height is the only thing I'm not happy with.
    Hah! You sir, have posted the first message that makes me happy about my choice to roll MEDIUM. I've had buyers remorse since day two. Unhappy with the compact cockpit. Unfortunately, I'm blessed with long torso/short legs.

I feel better now.

Thanks
    Jason

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314