mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Spare tube/tool storage with gravity dropper seat post

I am looking for options for storing a spare tube, multi tool, tire lever and a cell phone on my mukluk. I have a frame bag, but like to have use of the in frame bottle cages. I also have a gravity dropper seat post, which causes the biggest problem as i can no longer use my trusted seat bag... Would a stem bag or top tube bag work for general trail riding our would it have too negative of an effect on standover clearance? I do not need storage for epic rides or bike packing, just enough for the stuff that i take with on shorter single track rides.

Anybody have any experience with this? ...comments, opinions welcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I prefer to keep my spares/tools and my water on my back, but I do have a small frame bag also, that usually is empty. To me the extra weight on my back seems to be easier to handle than more weight on the bike, especially on a rigid bike. When you are going through rough terrain on a rigid bike, your arms and legs are the only real suspension, even with fat tires, and extra weight on the unsprung bike seems to make it a lot worse than on my body.
    I have a nice Camelback with decent sized storage for everything I need most of the time, and it is easier to keep dry there than on the bike, so the frame bag stays empty, unless the Camelback is stuffed full already.

If you don't like anything on your back though, I would think a handlebar bag would work pretty well, or you could get a handlebar mounted drink setup, and keep the frame bag.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a topeak fuel tank bag, it is far enough away from the area which you need the stand over height. Would work a treat for tools and a tube, large is the right size to be useful in my eyes.

TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - Fuel Tank, large

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    nifty little gizmo from specialized:
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/u...1307080020.jpg

Bicycle Addict
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Not a lot of storage, but should fit the necessities...

King Kargo Cage
    King Cage - Bicycle waterbottle cages handmade in Durango, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bjfalken View Post
    nifty little gizmo from specialized:
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/u...1307080020.jpg
    That does look nifty, but not for fatty.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    I prefer to keep my spares/tools and my water on my back, but I do have a small frame bag also, that usually is empty. To me the extra weight on my back seems to be easier to handle than more weight on the bike, especially on a rigid bike. When you are going through rough terrain on a rigid bike, your arms and legs are the only real suspension, even with fat tires, and extra weight on the unsprung bike seems to make it a lot worse than on my body.
    I have a nice Camelback with decent sized storage for everything I need most of the time, and it is easier to keep dry there than on the bike, so the frame bag stays empty, unless the Camelback is stuffed full already.

If you don't like anything on your back though, I would think a handlebar bag would work pretty well, or you could get a handlebar mounted drink setup, and keep the frame bag.

The exact opposite is true for me. I have a Revelate full frame bag that I have fully loaded. Anything that used to be on my back, other than the bladder, goes in the frame bag. My back, shoulders, arms and hands have all thanked me profusely.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.