Thread: Sourdough!

Losing Ground

Sourdough!

My first laugh out loud experience and confirmation that my fat bike purchase was well worth it -- Sourdough trail, closest town of Ward, CO. Thanks to snowshoers and cross-country skiers the first part of the trail was primo conditions. I made it about 4 mi (one way) and up to 10,300 ft until I had to turn around. Only a few other people had made it up that far, I could no longer ride, and was postholing with each step. So bad that it was becoming scary. At one point I fell in up to my armpits and had to roll down-slope to get out.

One of the best parts of the day was how intrigued everybody was about those fat tires. It was fun talking with people as I was not out training for miles and certainly wasn't out for speed. Some people scoff at mtn bikers, but not fat bikes. There's just something about those tires that people are fascinated with. I shared stories and had my picture taken by strangers for their own. Of course the best part of the day was the downhill. I have not laughed out loud on a bike in a long time.

Front Rangers holler!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sourdough!-cimg59372.jpg  

Sourdough!-cimg59402.jpg  

Sourdough!-cimg59412.jpg  

Sourdough!-cimg59432.jpg  

Sourdough!-cimg59442.jpg  

Sourdough!-cimg59452.jpg  

mtbr member
    Love the trail shots and especially that last shot. It is like a perfect fatbike trail. It could not be ridden on any other bike yet looks perfect for a fat bike.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

Stiff yet compliant
    Hah! Were you there on Sunday? I was probably right behind you. I started at the south Sourdough lot and made it to the peace memorial bridge before I ran short on time and had to turn around. The tire tracks I saw in the snow assured me I wasn't the only person crazy enough to be riding a bike out there. I'm going to give it another week or two for the snowshoers to pack things down more and try to make that entire section.

Losing Ground
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredbe View Post
    It is like a perfect fatbike trail. It could not be ridden on any other bike yet looks perfect for a fat bike.
    Exacatamudno!

Losing Ground
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider View Post
    Hah! Were you there on Sunday? I was probably right behind you. I started at the south Sourdough lot and made it to the peace memorial bridge before I ran short on time and had to turn around. The tire tracks I saw in the snow assured me I wasn't the only person crazy enough to be riding a bike out there. I'm going to give it another week or two for the snowshoers to pack things down more and try to make that entire section.
    Yep, that was me. But correction; we were the only two smart enough to be there. You turned around at the perfect place. Beyond that certainly wasn't rideable uphill, and really too out of control to go downhill. Walking was way too slow, and the postholing was getting riduculous. I wanted to make the whole section too, and probably came within a mile, but even at that it was a no go -- just too dangerous.

I've been thinking about starting around Brainard Lake too; there are some snowshoe trails that could make good loops. Give me a shout if you want ride sometime.

mtbr member
    That's awesome. I was out there Monday morning early and it was stellar!! That trail has never been so much fun. I also didn't make it more thank mile past the peace bridge but want to try starting at Brainard or even Beaver Res.
    I made a lil gopro of the ride.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk_JM...e_gdata_player

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Good for you guys. There is some good local riding up there. During Christmas break took three days for myself, just me and the fatbike. I think the conditions were prime...dump right before Xmas and all the holiday traffic packed the trails down.
    Waldrop was superb.
    Sourdough!-img_0473.jpg
    Camp Dick: buchanan pass is usually good as an out and back, and then checking to see how far you can make it up sourdough.

Check out Niwot Ridge too. Climb to above 11,500 feet explore the snowmobile trails the CU biosphere research center cuts in. Not a trail network or nothing super special they just follow right along side the jeep/truck road but it's pretty cool regardless.
    Sourdough!-217.jpg
    Sourdough!-229.jpg
    Miller rock too is worth a gamble.
    Haven't run into any other fatbikers this year, hope to see you on the trails.

Losing Ground
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriwether View Post
    That's awesome. I was out there Monday morning early and it was stellar!! That trail has never been so much fun. I also didn't make it more thank mile past the peace bridge but want to try starting at Brainard or even Beaver Res.
    I made a lil gopro of the ride.
    Doughboy trail fatbike ride - YouTube
    That's pretty rad; filmed only a day apart too. My family's going to love this (they live in Ohio). I was just thinking I could really use some a Nate, but will probably have to make do for this season with the stock.

Here's a link for a map of the Brainard Lake area: http://www.cmcboulder.org/resources/brainardskimap.pdf
    I'm stoked to get back up there.

Losing Ground
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydoug View Post
    Good for you guys. There is some good local riding up there. During Christmas break took three days for myself, just me and the fatbike. I think the conditions were prime...dump right before Xmas and all the holiday traffic packed the trails down.
    Waldrop was superb.

Camp Dick: buchanan pass is usually good as an out and back, and then checking to see how far you can make it up sourdough.

Check out Niwot Ridge too. Climb to above 11,500 feet explore the snowmobile trails the CU biosphere research center cuts in. Not a trail network or nothing super special they just follow right along side the jeep/truck road but it's pretty cool regardless.

Miller rock too is worth a gamble.
    Haven't run into any other fatbikers this year, hope to see you on the trails.
    Thanks for the beta Doug. Wow I never thought about Niwot Ridge, but I may have to save that one again for the summer.
    Did you ride the 2011 Big Fall Ride from Redstone? I may have ridden with ya.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Unfortunately I missed quite a few of the Redstone big weekend rides this year. Just couldn't get the schedule to match-up. Last time I did this with Redstone was 2009 I think. Love it- long ride, feels like tons of chunky descending, and the last climb up Heil is brutal.
    Come out Tuesday nights though. We hit buchanan on occasion in the snow. One of the other guys just got a mukluk. Granted we will always hit up stuff that regular mountain bikes can ride, but it will be unlikely you are alone with a fatbike.

Losing Ground
    Yeah, I'll have to try to make a Tues ride. It's a bit far for me to try to make it though right after work. I'm about 10 mi SE of Boulder. Cool, thanks, see ya.

mtbr member
    I was wondering about Buchanan Pass trail, looks sick! I'll have to make the trip over there soon.
    I'm usually found at West Mag since it's close to my house, it's been quite good this year.

4th of July Rd out of Eldora wasn't bad a couple weeks ago but it's an out and back too.

Anyone been south of Nederland in Gilpin County? I'm wondering about Rollins Pass Road to Jenny Creek Trail, or checking out how much snowmobiles have packed out the Missouri Lakes area...?

Losing Ground
    ^Gilpin Co^
    Snow is all new to me, but I would bet Golden Gate State Park (one of my favs) would have substantial snowshoe traffic. I've yet to follow any snowmobile trails and I'm not familiar with Missouri Lakes. I guess there is a hut at the top of Jenny Creek so it must get traffic right? Like I said, it's all new to me (this is only my second winter from AZ), I'm not sure what all is accessible.