Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Son 135mm hub dynamo!

Expected by July: Schmidt Maschinenbau News and a picture: http://www.m-gineering.nl/son135-2.jpg

Life starts looking good for electrically challenged fatbikes

Have used a 100mm version in my fatbike and am quite pleased with it. You don't notice any drag and your GPS doesn't run out of juice anymore mid-way in a bike-packing trip

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Very cool! I have these on my commuter, big dummy, and 29er (thru-axle version). The only real downside has been the price. They just keep on rolling, and using a dynamo hub (Shimano, SON, whatever) is fantastically convenient.

Now if they'd just make a lefty version.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Very cool. I just got a dynamo equipped road touring bike finished, it is sweet. This is fine news.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just when I had finally decided I would just have to go a little narrower for a dynamo this happens... Any word on the expected price?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    very good news indeed. Watching for more details. Will be interesting to see how robust they are - want to be able to bash the bike to all hell and still have it work. Also need it to be able to survive full immersion without playing up. Suspect this is unreasonable though ;-)

mtbr member
    My buddy Billy (arcticcycles.com) ran one of the two original prototypes on his 2,000mi odessey on the Iron Dog trail. No disapointments I'm told.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I used mine (a 100mm one) on a recent trip 1 week trip in Sweden that involved lots of bush wacking and the occasional involuntary water dunking. No trouble whatsoever.

nothing to see here
    thread needs pic

Son 135mm hub dynamo!-son135-2.jpg
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by willzager View Post
    Just when I had finally decided I would just have to go a little narrower for a dynamo this happens... Any word on the expected price?
    if the through axle version is any indicator, it's not going to be cheap

Anchorage, AK
    skip
    Last edited by Lars_D; 12-02-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    With the discontinuation of the 100mm Pugsley front fork, this is looking like a suitable alternative. I'm about to order a new Pugs and being able to move some of my B&M lights to the Pugs and not buy $300 worth of new battery-powered lights will offset a good chunk of the cost. I just asked my shop to quote adding one to the build for me.

The CQ Cyo-Rt is nice, but the Luxos is incredible!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Zero benefit to this in my view. I have been using 100mm fat bikes front-ends for two winters with readily available 100mm dyno hubs. These will be way more expensive and no better.
    How do I fit my front wheel to a 100 mm fork? My rim is a Clown Shoe and the tire is a Bud.

mtbr member
    Saul...the move away from 100 to 135sym came about because folks didn't like dropping air pressure or removing the caliper just to get the wheel in or out of the fork. I switched to a 203 rotor on a 100mm Blacksheep Ti Unicrown to get around most of the issue without switching to 135sym...

mtbr member
    Right, so the fact that I can mount a wheel without removing the caliper and dropping air pressure (and I'm still suspicious as to whether the Clown Shoe and Bud will fit) is "zero benefit".

Yeah I know Lars used the weasel-phrase "in my view". I'll let you in on a little secret: nobody gives a damn about your view. Take your negativity elsewhere. There's a number of fat bikers with 135 mm hubs in front out here and for us a dynamo hub is good news. We don't need to hear about people who don't need it, because if you get into that there's a few billion people who have no use for a 135 mm hub dynamo. The point is that quite a number of people do like to have this option and it's about time someone started making one.

Don't need one? Don't buy it.

mtbr member
    ...pretty sure it (Bud/hundie) would fit in my Ti BS, though I'd probably have to go back to airing down/removing caliper...not excited about that. Bud/hundie quite probably won't fit in a Surly 100sym......that being said, my buddy loves his 135 SON; I'd start meandering down that path, but between three wheelsets w/100mm SON's and two fatties w/100mm Ti BS, It's way too expensive for my GF and I to change to a new standard that hasn't even established itself yet...135 w/QR is already as outdated as my 100 w/QR...TA is where "it" is at...but which size/width is "it"...and then SON has to play catch-up, which they may be hesitant to do as they just got left in the dust with their newly released bit of hardware that was already obsolete four months before they released it...

Anchorage, AK
    Skip
    Last edited by Lars_D; 12-02-2013 at 11:11 PM.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    ...alright boys...play nice...shake hands and say you're sorry...

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Shut up Mike no one cares what you think.

Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    well, I may have some more details about this soon. Just asked my bike shop to put together a build using this hub. They're going to see if they can source it, probably going to go direct Peter. Anybody else tried to buy one yet? Wonder if they're available...

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    listed on peter white for an earth-shakingly good deal of $452

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah, it is really pricy right now. But I already have great lights to go with it, and not having to spend 200-300 on new battery lights offsets at least half of the cost. And not needing batteries for winter commuting is worth it to me. Ymmv.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    understood, I would probably have one of the 15mm Son hubs if I had a bike to put it on. But this one looks like a much simpler modification to the regular hub, I wasn't expecting a premium over the 15mm. The usual suspects online don't seem to have the fat bike hubs yet. Usually, Peter White will say if he doesn't have something

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    understood, I would probably have one of the 15mm Son hubs if I had a bike to put it on.
    15mm hubs? Do you mean 100mm??

mtbr member
    ...no...well yes, but no...they make a 15mm TA with 100mm spacing too...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ahh, got it. Frankly, if Surly still made the 100mm fork I'd probably go with that (although fork + Alfine Dynohub approaches the cost of the SON 135). I suspect that the $50 premium over the other hubs is just due to small production runs... if we buy them, hopefully the price will come down somewhat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast