mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Son 135mm hub dynamo!

Expected by July: Schmidt Maschinenbau News and a picture: http://www.m-gineering.nl/son135-2.jpg

Life starts looking good for electrically challenged fatbikes

Have used a 100mm version in my fatbike and am quite pleased with it. You don't notice any drag and your GPS doesn't run out of juice anymore mid-way in a bike-packing trip

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Very cool! I have these on my commuter, big dummy, and 29er (thru-axle version). The only real downside has been the price. They just keep on rolling, and using a dynamo hub (Shimano, SON, whatever) is fantastically convenient.

Now if they'd just make a lefty version.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Very cool. I just got a dynamo equipped road touring bike finished, it is sweet. This is fine news.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just when I had finally decided I would just have to go a little narrower for a dynamo this happens... Any word on the expected price?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    very good news indeed. Watching for more details. Will be interesting to see how robust they are - want to be able to bash the bike to all hell and still have it work. Also need it to be able to survive full immersion without playing up. Suspect this is unreasonable though ;-)

mtbr member
    My buddy Billy (arcticcycles.com) ran one of the two original prototypes on his 2,000mi odessey on the Iron Dog trail. No disapointments I'm told.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I used mine (a 100mm one) on a recent trip 1 week trip in Sweden that involved lots of bush wacking and the occasional involuntary water dunking. No trouble whatsoever.

nothing to see here
    thread needs pic

Son 135mm hub dynamo!-son135-2.jpg
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by willzager View Post
    Just when I had finally decided I would just have to go a little narrower for a dynamo this happens... Any word on the expected price?
    if the through axle version is any indicator, it's not going to be cheap

Anchorage, AK
    skip
    Last edited by Lars_D; 12-03-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    With the discontinuation of the 100mm Pugsley front fork, this is looking like a suitable alternative. I'm about to order a new Pugs and being able to move some of my B&M lights to the Pugs and not buy $300 worth of new battery-powered lights will offset a good chunk of the cost. I just asked my shop to quote adding one to the build for me.

The CQ Cyo-Rt is nice, but the Luxos is incredible!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Zero benefit to this in my view. I have been using 100mm fat bikes front-ends for two winters with readily available 100mm dyno hubs. These will be way more expensive and no better.
    How do I fit my front wheel to a 100 mm fork? My rim is a Clown Shoe and the tire is a Bud.

mtbr member
    Saul...the move away from 100 to 135sym came about because folks didn't like dropping air pressure or removing the caliper just to get the wheel in or out of the fork. I switched to a 203 rotor on a 100mm Blacksheep Ti Unicrown to get around most of the issue without switching to 135sym...

mtbr member
    Right, so the fact that I can mount a wheel without removing the caliper and dropping air pressure (and I'm still suspicious as to whether the Clown Shoe and Bud will fit) is "zero benefit".

Yeah I know Lars used the weasel-phrase "in my view". I'll let you in on a little secret: nobody gives a damn about your view. Take your negativity elsewhere. There's a number of fat bikers with 135 mm hubs in front out here and for us a dynamo hub is good news. We don't need to hear about people who don't need it, because if you get into that there's a few billion people who have no use for a 135 mm hub dynamo. The point is that quite a number of people do like to have this option and it's about time someone started making one.

Don't need one? Don't buy it.

mtbr member
    ...pretty sure it (Bud/hundie) would fit in my Ti BS, though I'd probably have to go back to airing down/removing caliper...not excited about that. Bud/hundie quite probably won't fit in a Surly 100sym......that being said, my buddy loves his 135 SON; I'd start meandering down that path, but between three wheelsets w/100mm SON's and two fatties w/100mm Ti BS, It's way too expensive for my GF and I to change to a new standard that hasn't even established itself yet...135 w/QR is already as outdated as my 100 w/QR...TA is where "it" is at...but which size/width is "it"...and then SON has to play catch-up, which they may be hesitant to do as they just got left in the dust with their newly released bit of hardware that was already obsolete four months before they released it...

Anchorage, AK
    Skip
    Last edited by Lars_D; 12-03-2013 at 12:11 AM.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    ...alright boys...play nice...shake hands and say you're sorry...

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Shut up Mike no one cares what you think.

Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    well, I may have some more details about this soon. Just asked my bike shop to put together a build using this hub. They're going to see if they can source it, probably going to go direct Peter. Anybody else tried to buy one yet? Wonder if they're available...

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    listed on peter white for an earth-shakingly good deal of $452

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah, it is really pricy right now. But I already have great lights to go with it, and not having to spend 200-300 on new battery lights offsets at least half of the cost. And not needing batteries for winter commuting is worth it to me. Ymmv.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    understood, I would probably have one of the 15mm Son hubs if I had a bike to put it on. But this one looks like a much simpler modification to the regular hub, I wasn't expecting a premium over the 15mm. The usual suspects online don't seem to have the fat bike hubs yet. Usually, Peter White will say if he doesn't have something

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    understood, I would probably have one of the 15mm Son hubs if I had a bike to put it on.
    15mm hubs? Do you mean 100mm??

mtbr member
    ...no...well yes, but no...they make a 15mm TA with 100mm spacing too...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ahh, got it. Frankly, if Surly still made the 100mm fork I'd probably go with that (although fork + Alfine Dynohub approaches the cost of the SON 135). I suspect that the $50 premium over the other hubs is just due to small production runs... if we buy them, hopefully the price will come down somewhat.

mtbr member
    There are a few 100mm 29'er/fatbike fork options that I know of...BlackSheep Ti Unicrown (easily fits hundies and 4.0's, possibly 5.0's too), Blacksheep Steel Unicrown (easily fits hundies and 4.0's, quite probably 5.0's too...there is a ton of room between the legs), Bontrager Switchblade (max is 65's and 4.0's), Surly (max is hundiess and 4.0's...barely)...not sure what else...actually, you could also try DeSalvo, they are no stranger to fatbikes as they built Wildfire's frames for a number of years...I'm sure there are a ton of other rigid 29'er forks that would work with the mid-fat range (45-65mm and 3.0-4.0's).

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    My buddy Billy (arcticcycles.com) ran one of the two original prototypes on his 2,000mi odessey on the Iron Dog trail. No disapointments I'm told.
    two?

Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    listed on peter white for an earth-shakingly good deal of $452
    don't buy it. move along.

mtbr member
    Mike, My understanding is the other stayed in Germany

Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    Mike, My understanding is the other stayed in Germany
    I was trying to understand why/how he used two on a single ride, when neither are rear/drive compatible?

mtbr member
    ...gottcha...A rear gen hub would be cool too...I thought I found a Shimano rear gen hub right after Billy and I started looking into gennies for our fatties 8 years ago, I figured it was some obscure euro offering none of us had ever heard of...turns out it only turned out enough juice for the early generation electric derailleurs...oh well...I wonder how much generating capacity you could cram into 190mm?

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    you could easily put a full-wattage generator in even a 130mm rear hub (first, buy a component factory...). The generating parts of the SPs are tiny.

mtbr member
    Just to confirm, that 135 SON hub won't allow you to pedal if you need to swap out hubs front to back in the middle of the wilderness, right?

Bicycle Lights and Generators
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Just to confirm, that 135 SON hub won't allow you to pedal if you need to swap out hubs front to back in the middle of the wilderness, right?

You could skin that cat:

Problem Solvers Centerlock Adapter
    +
    VeloSolo 6 bolt disc rotor flange cog

Noteworthy: normally I would recommend getting the actual Shimano made centerlock adapter because their machining is precise and any disc brake rotor you mount to it will rotate true. This is not the case with the Problem Solvers adapter, it ends up wobbling a few mm throughout hub rotation. However, the Problem Solvers adapter retains the flange threaded holes, which is important in this particular case you bring up because I'm not sure that the Velosolo cog and a standard disc rotor have the same thickness... and the thickness is very sensitive when it comes to the Shimano made adapter.

mtbr member
    Interesting ... but would that work with the Pugsley offset? You'd have to flip the wheel around to get the brake rotor on the drive side.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Interesting ... but would that work with the Pugsley offset? You'd have to flip the wheel around to get the brake rotor on the drive side.
    If you cared that much about having a front brake in those conditions, yeah that might be an issue. Don't know about you but I've been in snow that's hard to pedal going downhill and the front brake was the last thing on my brain...

mtbr member
    No I mean you'd have to flip the wheel around to get the brake rotor mount on the right side so you can mount your cog on it, in line with your front chainring. But the offset would be backwards. Maybe I'm missing something.

mtbr member
    Diller...you are amazing...dual generator hub fixie fatbike...

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    No I mean you'd have to flip the wheel around to get the brake rotor mount on the right side so you can mount your cog on it, in line with your front chainring. But the offset would be backwards. Maybe I'm missing something.
    You're not missing anything. I'm saying to make the offset work you'd need identical offsets (Pugsley) and sacrifice the use of a front brake because your front brake flange (in the form of the SON) would be on the wrong side all the time.

Or else be willing to mess with bolts and sh!t in the snow, bringing spares and what not.

But! But... this is all irrelevant when you consider that Fatback et al have concentrated on a symmetrical rear that has no regard for swapping wheels, using very low viscosity lubricants during the winter in Alaska and more typical lubricants in the summer. I've never had to do the wheel swap thing but I only live in MN and my temperature floor has been, practically speaking, -10F, which doesn't even touch temps farther north...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Probably not. On the other hand, it looks like there is a bunch of space free on the non rotor side of the hub. I wonder if Schmidt might turn the hub into a full geared rear hub someday

mtbr member
    It's pretty mountainous where I live so I need a front brake. Last year I was flying down the hill at 30 miles an hour on the cross country ski trails. It would be pretty easy for SON to put another brake rotor mount on the other side of that hub. Doubt it will happen though.

mtbr member
    Does the Son Dyno require a spacer to move the caliper inboard? It looks like the just extended the axles, not the hub body.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by efuss View Post
    Does the Son Dyno require a spacer to move the caliper inboard?
    No, it doesn't.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My LBS just sent me a picture... a viewpoint that I haven't seen in any of the online pictures yet. We have decided to lace it to a Holy Darryl, since it will be for snow commuting.

Son 135mm hub dynamo!-son-dynamo.jpg

Is it just me, or does the right-hand half of the hub cry out: Why is there no spline here for a SS Cog? Seems like it shouldn't really take any extra manufacturing to put it there instead of the extended axle. I'm getting it put in a symmetric front so it doesn't matter for me... but it would be interesting to get the very first dynamo rear-capable hub out there.

mtbr member
    @evandy,
    Thanks for the pic, that will be a sweet wheel! What light will you run?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    @evandy,
    Thanks for the pic, that will be a sweet wheel! What light will you run?
    I already own a B&M IQ CYO-T and a B&M Luxos-B. They are both awesome, but the Luxos-B definitely has the edge. Most likely it will have the CYO-T on it while I'm primarially commuting on my cross-check, and once the snow drops and I'm commuting on the Pugs I'll probably swap it with the Luxos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Super excited to see someone that actually has this! Please keep us updated with pics and experiences!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Waiting for the Pugs frame to show up... LBS is guessing mid-Oct, but with the recent "my bad" that Surly sent out, they aren't too sure either. Trying to get better data from QBP and Surly. I'll definitely be getting you some pictures and thoughts when I finally get to ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    Waiting for the Pugs frame to show up... LBS is guessing mid-Oct, but with the recent "my bad" that Surly sent out, they aren't too sure either. Trying to get better data from QBP and Surly. I'll definitely be getting you some pictures and thoughts when I finally get to ride it.
    I'm putting mine together too. I have the frame, fork, brakes, BB, cranks, Alfine 8, and an old XT rear hub I'll use for the front. Tomorrow I'm going to the States to pick up my Rollin Darryls (they were all sold out for months and I got the email saying 40 were in stock. I immediately ordered them and within half a day they were sold out again). I order from Universal Cycles which is really good.

It's a lot of fun putting it together myself.

It would be really awesome if they could put a SS mount on the other side of that SON hub, that would just complete the setup. I think I will email them and suggest it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, the truck with rim strips didn't show up at NCC by the time I got there this morning... I'm heading back in a few weeks when the wolvhammers show up, so I'll have to wait to ride the new wheel until then. However, I now have my SON 135 built into a Holy Darryl... Wish I could ride it though!

Son 135mm hub dynamo!-pugsley.jpg

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    they are using the same body as most of the other hubs, so I suspect they are not going to add a drive spline to the other side. Then again, someone talked them into making a wider hub body for 100mm hubs, so anything is possible.

mtbr member
    @evandy,
    Sweet! How can you stand not riding it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sweet! How can you stand not riding it?
    The Alfine-11 Moonlander I rented on vacation helped. And now I can ride everything but the hub... Looks like I'll be getting that wheel fixed on 7-Nov (Bike shop is 1h away, and holding a winter clinic then). I'm leaning towards adding a Dillinger to it and keeping the Nate on the rear. That'll be a good day: Wolvhammers + Dillinger + Lazer Dissent helmet = ready for snow.

UPDATE: It was 30F and Dark at 6:30am when I went to work this morning. With snow due. If I had a working light, I would have ridden the Pugs to work! Instead, I had cold hands on the Cross-check. Boo.
    Last edited by evandy; 10-22-2013 at 05:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Tomorrow's the day I get the parts to finish the wheel! I could've gotten them a little earlier, but this way I get to go to the winter clinic at NCC. Starting Friday I should be up and riding on the DynoPugs!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Done, mounted, and working!

Son 135mm hub dynamo!-wheel.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    dammit now I am going to have to get one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Snow-tested! Serious worst-case weather today. Started at 40 and raining, shifted to snow. Ice and frozen snow over everything. Hub worked just fine after that beating while I was at work.

Son 135mm hub dynamo!-pugssnow.jpg

mtbr member
    If you have a fork with brake mounts for normal front disc spacing, can you add spacers or something to run a rear disc spacing hub? I have a SON hub on my touring/commuter bike and would like to be able to have one when I get a fat bike. It seems to me that most of the fat bikes that I'm interested in have forks for front disc spacing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This confused me at first too. The front vs rear spacing is an issue for your caliper, not the hub. The early fat bike required two rear brake calipers, but now we just need one rear caliper and one front caliper. It still takes a rear hub with the rear hub disc rotor position, as far as I can tell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New Dynohub coming

All new forks with front disc alignment will work with any other hubs. a 5mm spacer from Bikeman solves the simple problem of caliper/rotor alignment it seems.

The SP 135 hub is on its way

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    About to buy a son 135 for a Pugs Ops. someone correct me if I'm mistaken on this but I believe Pug 135 forks use 135 rear rotor spacing. Son 28 135 is availalbe as a 9mm axle version and a 10mm axle version but they both have rear rotor spacing? I think my pug ops takes a 10mm axle.Does it matter which I buy? Was going to get this one, only offered in 9mm.
    SON hub dynamo 28 Disc with IS2000 rear wheel disc brake mount for Fatbikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If it has the rear spacing, it's likely the 10mm version and will work just fine.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net