mtbr member
    May 2008

Some Pugsley questions...

Hi all. I guess the answer to my questions are in a thread somewhere, so sorry for asking the them again...anyway:

I've decided to build up a fatbike. Most parts will come from the Canfield N9 that I recently sold but I have a few questions about the fatbike specific parts that I need on the Pugs...

1) Fork
    Is it a bad idea to run a fork like the new Carver O'Beast carbon fork with an 465 mm a-c on the Pugsley? I know it'll raise the BB a few mm and make the front a little slacker...?

2) Cranks
    Can I get some light cranks that'll work with the Chris King BB that I already have? I'll need only 1 ring up front (SS or 1x)

3) SS setup
    I'll a CK geared hub and a Salsa QR. Will this work ok on the Pugs or do I need something else to keep the wheel in place?

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The fork will work. You may be able to tell the difference in handling maybe not.

You can get light cranks but likely not for your existing bottom bracket. Unless it is built for a 100 mm bottom bracket width the CK BB will not work. It will be too narrow for the bike.

The hub skewer combination should work fine. You will be cranking on the QR a bit so it may wear out faster than normal but it is not that expensive and it won't go right away. Depending on how stiff the axle is in the CK hub since you will be cranking on the quick release you might shorten the hub life, but most likely not too much. Anybody out there with experience running this hub SS will have a better answer than me.
    Latitude 61

turtles make me hot
    I'm under the impression that the Surly cranksets will work with CK bottom bracket. Anyone else know for sure?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks so far.

I think I'll just go for the carbon fork if I can find the extra cash somewhere. What are my options if I want a 135 mm front hub in green to match my CK rear hub? Fatback or Hadley...?

Cranks are still up in the air. So far I'm trying to figure out if I should go with:

- Mr. Whirly's with CK BB
    - RaceFace Atlas with CK BB
    - Middleburn with square taper BB, maybe a nice Phil Wood

Has anyone here extended the spindel on "normal" XT or XTR cranks. I think I saw a few pics in a thread in this forum a while ago where it didn't work...any news about the project?

What's the best place in Europe to purchase Surly parts? Need a Pugsley frame, some Marge Lite rims and maybe a Mr. Whirly crank.

Also, if anyone (in Europe) is selling a M size Pugsley frame feel free to let me know

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The experiment with extending the crank spindle that someone tried failed pretty quickly. By your parts choice, you seem to like high-end stuff, so look at the e:13 snowbike cranks, which seem to be the premium cranks available at the moment.

I am curious to see if our European biking friends will adopt fat bikes at a faster rate then they did 29er's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Rasse: Any fork bigger than ~450mm a-c will void the warranty per Surly: January 24th blog post.

Sryanak: I've been running Surly SS hubs, fixed with Shimano skewers. Tightened them down same as on a geared bike and they have yet to slip. You have to remember, the original geared MTB's were running semi-horizontal dropouts with QR's with no problems long before "vertical" dropouts were adopted.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    By your parts choice, you seem to like high-end stuff, so look at the e:13 snowbike cranks, which seem to be the premium cranks available at the moment.

I am curious to see if our European biking friends will adopt fat bikes at a faster rate then they did 29er's.
    It dosn't have to be high-end but it has to work well in my wet and muddy danish invironment. I've had zero problems with my CK parts (hubs, headset and BB) for the last 3-4 years which is part of the reason I'm thinking about going with the Pugsley and just transfer most of my current parts to the new frame.

How's the durability of the E13 BB...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    ...I am curious to see if our European biking friends will adopt fat bikes at a faster rate then they did 29er's.
    A substantial proportion of the posts in this forum are from European countries, especially Scotland, if that's a guide.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

-bustin punks
    I sure wish the Pugs (and most Surly's) didn't come with those hooded drops. I'd be way more tempted to get one if I knew that one of my first things post-purchase would be getting all dremel on the non-drive dropout of a brand new bike so I can pull my kids in the Chariot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How about a Middleburn with the CK bb?
    Ask and they'll do one to fit a 100mm bb shell.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by myheadsashed View Post
    How about a Middleburn with the CK bb?
    Ask and they'll do one to fit a 100mm bb shell.
    Middleburn would be cool, I'll send them a note...

mtbr member
    I've been asking for 18 months now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Velobike if your UK based give Tim at Sideways Cycles a call he's has some on the way.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I've been asking for 18 months now.
    Looks like the wait is over...

Sideways Cycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Pug Questions

I will throw this out as well. I just took my pugs out for a first ride and noticed my foot will hit the front wheel when turning. Is that normal with the fat tires or did I get too small a frame? Yikes.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by jboalick View Post
    I will throw this out as well. I just took my pugs out for a first ride and noticed my foot will hit the front wheel when turning. Is that normal with the fat tires or did I get too small a frame? Yikes.
    Not sure what your problem is but nobody I know including myself has that problem with a fat bike. I've run into that on cx bikes but that's it.
    And I love beer!!

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Either the bike is to small, or maybe you bought the wrong kind of clownshoes ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I should say I am 5' 8" on a good day and have 175 mm cranks. I wear a size 8 shoe so my clown shoes should not be that big when I put them on to ride. It may be the bike design but it looks like the pedals are really close to the front wheels so mabey I have to adapt my rididng style. Whatever the case it is gonna have to do for a while.

mtbr member
    I should say I am 5' 8" on a good day and have 175 mm cranks. I wear a size 8 shoe so my clown shoes should not be that big when I put them on to ride. It may be the bike design but it looks like the pedals are really close to the front wheels so mabey I have to adapt my rididng style. Whatever the case it is gonna have to do for a while.
    what size frame? I'm 5'8" and I got the 18" frame. I dont get any toe overlap. Like it was said earlier, I have experienced it on cx bikes before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myheadsashed View Post
    Velobike if your UK based give Tim at Sideways Cycles a call he's has some on the way.
    And I have just gone and bought a Phil Wood Ti BB...

If anyone has bought the Middleburn, I'd like to know what its weight is. Could still be tempted.

Bicycle Obsessed
    I have the Middleburn RS7 cranks + UNO. I haven't weighed them myself, but they are listed at 431g for the arms. The RS8 are lighter at 406g. The UNO spider/chainring is 59g.

So add a lockring and some crankbolts and it will be close to 500g for the whole setup.