mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Softail Fat Bikes?

Remember the softail mountain bike? They never really became the industry standard, but it seems to me it would be a great option on a fat bike. KHS had a model. Merlin made one. And Moots still makes the YBB after many years. I know some other companies made them, I just can't remember them offhand.

On a fat bike you already get the suspension benefit of the larger tires. Add 1-1.5" softail suspension (a-la Moots YBB) and it seems to me it would be a sweet, comfortable ride. The best of both worlds, so to speak. A couple inches of no-maintenance suspension. Of course, the bikes would be limited to titanium and steel, but there already are a lot of titanium and steel bikes out there

Am I crazy thinking this?

All fat, all the time.
    Not crazy if you truly want zero maintenance and less weight. But rear suspension has come a long way in the past few years, full squish fatties ride great, and are not that heavy. They do need maintenance though. I just replaced the air sleeve on my bucksaw yesterday.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Not crazy at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Softail Fat Bikes?-fatso-full-1.jpg  

Softail Fat Bikes?-fatso-soft.jpg  

Softail Fat Bikes?-fatso-rear.jpg  

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    I would think this would have to be heavily damped to be somewhat effective, otherwise it'd would just amplify the spring-board effect of fatbike tires at high speed?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I dunno, I have a Brooks Flyer on there too!

I guess I just don't have such a princess and the pea philosophy about ride quality. Not referring to your comments sir but I've read several articles this week alone about undamped tires being the death knell of fat bikes, oy.

Folks hate on single pivots, I love them.

Folks hate on FS fat due to "undamped rebound" from the tires, they make me smile like a lunatic (this bike included).

Seems like a lot of the whining about ride qualities are made by industry folks paid to write about something, I've simply ridden what felt good and had a blast for the past 30 plus years, maybe I'm just nuts and should sell them all since plainly they don't ride well according to someone else.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I dunno, I have a Brooks Flyer on there too!

I guess I just don't have such a princess and the pea philosophy about ride quality. Not referring to your comments sir but I've read several articles this week alone about undamped tires being the death knell of fat bikes, oy.

Folks hate on single pivots, I love them.

Folks hate on FS fat due to "undamped rebound" from the tires, they make me smile like a lunatic (this bike included).

Seems like a lot of the whining about ride qualities are made by industry folks paid to write about something, I've simply ridden what felt good and had a blast for the past 30 plus years, maybe I'm just nuts and should sell them all since plainly they don't ride well according to someone else.....

It's a whopping inch of travel. It takes the edge off but not much more. I loved my YBB's, and usually removed the elastomers and just ran straight, undamped coils. Bike felt way more lively, in a good way.

Haven't ridden a softtail fatty but my trajectory is probably heading that way sooner than later. I run my 6 x 6" travel fatty with very little rebound damping and still -- like you -- love the crap out of it.

mtbr member
    Check out Funk Cycle out of CO. I had a chance to talk with owner quite a bit recently. May be a fat bike in their future!
    La Ruta Plus - Lightest Full-Suspension Titanium Frame for 29+ Tires | Funk Cycles

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Check out Funk Cycle out of CO. I had a chance to talk with owner quite a bit recently. May be a fat bike in their future!
    La Ruta Plus - Lightest Full-Suspension Titanium Frame for 29+ Tires | Funk Cycles
    hehe, it's the Amp B-3 again. Honestly, I'd stay far far away from that. Lateral rigidity with no swing-linkage is going to be very poor. It'll also side-load the shock. There's a reason Titus put the swing linkage on the Racer X and why Amp moved to the B5 rather quick.
    Last edited by Jayem; 04-02-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    For the right price I bet Moots would make you a Frosti ybb. But considering that frame retails north of $4k you better be ready for a big bill. My summer ride is a 29er ybb and I think my Beargrease has more travel with 3-4 psi.

Elitest thrill junkie
    A thudbuster might be a much more economical way to do this. Guy yesterday was raving about what a difference it was on a fatbike.

Now's my turn to split hairs!

I don't like my cockpit changing, and thudbusters do that in spades.

The Racer X and (pretty sure but didn't dig up pics) Amp, have a pivot at the BB. The Funk doesn't, so not quite the same, nor truly as fully active as either of those.

And Mike, not even an inch, 3/4 " of angry boing. So with tires and saddle, I figure I'm close to 4+ inch of monkey motion.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Now's my turn to split hairs!

I don't like my cockpit changing, and thudbusters do that in spades.

The Racer X and (pretty sure but didn't dig up pics) Amp, have a pivot at the BB. The Funk doesn't, so not quite the same, nor truly as fully active as either of those.

And Mike, not even an inch, 3/4 " of angry boing. So with tires and saddle, I figure I'm close to 4+ inch of monkey motion.....
    It's exactly the same as the Amp design in terms of not having any swinglink/lateral reinforcement for the seatstay. Every time this has been tried, it's been a bad idea. The Racer X came along much later, but had about the same amount of travel, and by then they knew this was a big weakness with the design, hence, it had a swing-link there.

I'm not an enginerd, so I won't try to argue the reality, but I'd think that by removing the BB pivot completely from the equation, would alter the overall physics enough to be considered different. After all, modest pivot placement alterations at the chainstay/seatstay is enough to warrant patentable differences in performance.

I don't disagree that the swing link will add lateral stiffness, just that it has fewer pivots, which generally equals increased overall stiffness.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It's exactly the same as the Amp design in terms of not having any swinglink/lateral reinforcement for the seatstay. Every time this has been tried, it's been a bad idea. The Racer X came along much later, but had about the same amount of travel, and by then they knew this was a big weakness with the design, hence, it had a swing-link there.

Y'ought change your screen name to Henny.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Y'ought change your screen name to Henny.
    post some more pictures