Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    255

    So winter is over...

    Back end of January saw a warm spell incoming, so I studded my tires in wait for the super icy conditions. The weather here usually fluctuates a lot, so we get a lot of ice, The problem is that it hasn't stopped getting warmer, I rode a few days in icy conditions, and now there is no more snow left.

    The forecast for Feb is/has been, all sunshine and above freezing temps all month long. So winter is over pretty much. Usually Jan and Feb are the coldest months.

    Now I'm faced with the decision to take off and preserve the winter tires, and put on the summers in February? Man winter really phoned it in this year. I also just switched to Flats as a long time SPD rider, to better cope with the colder rides.

    Oh well, spring in February here I come?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    341
    It's just a sucker hole. It will start back in march or april.

  3. #3
    The Dog.
    Reputation: Dogdude222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    961
    I agree. I am torn as well. I love my vanhelga's for the deep stuff and the slush, but I am sure we will be icy as hell any minute here in Missoula. The sunshine is welcome from the continuous grey, but I would take great snow any day.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,393
    thinking of pulling my studded tires off also.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,788
    just bought studs for my Snowshoe XLs....yet to install.

    Forecast for Saturday is snow and -18 C feeling like -30C with the windchill.

    Winter ain't over.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    just bought studs for my Snowshoe XLs....yet to install.

    Forecast for Saturday is snow and -18 C feeling like -30C with the windchill.

    Winter ain't over.
    My Forecast for Saturday is 10C ... followed by 14C on Monday.

    Winter is over.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    173
    13 out there here

  8. #8
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Reputation: alphazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,949
    I guess if you want winter, you have to live where winter is. The snow pack where I live I just heard today is 150% of normal.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Welnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by l3eaudacious View Post
    Back end of January saw a warm spell incoming, so I studded my tires in wait for the super icy conditions. The weather here usually fluctuates a lot, so we get a lot of ice, The problem is that it hasn't stopped getting warmer, I rode a few days in icy conditions, and now there is no more snow left.

    The forecast for Feb is/has been, all sunshine and above freezing temps all month long. So winter is over pretty much. Usually Jan and Feb are the coldest months.

    Now I'm faced with the decision to take off and preserve the winter tires, and put on the summers in February? Man winter really phoned it in this year. I also just switched to Flats as a long time SPD rider, to better cope with the colder rides.

    Oh well, spring in February here I come?
    You're going to have to suck it up and put the summer tires on. That is the only way you are going to see some more winter.

  10. #10
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26,986
    Winter never came to us in Anchorage, just too warm, raining, etc. We do have some ice, but no snow at this elevation. I got skinny studded tires ready to go and a suspension fork on the way. It's unfortunate, but I think I'll get more use out of this setup in the next couple months.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  11. #11
    Randomhead
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,178
    I wish spring was here, starting tomorrow it's supposed to get brutally cold again. And we are getting liquid ice falling from the sky right now. Hopefully it is snow at a reasonable altitude in the mountains

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    113
    We haven't had any winter in Middle England it's rained since November and now we've started naming Atlantic storms we've had 9 of them in 3 months.

    Everywhere is eyeball-searingly green but very very wet

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ADKMTNBIKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I guess if you want winter, you have to live where winter is. The snow pack where I live I just heard today is 150% of normal.
    Californiad'

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ADKMTNBIKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    690
    We have enough snow to keep the studs rolling for a while. probably about a foot of hard park

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: traditiionalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    307
    Got another 1" in NY last night, that makes 3" on the ground now. Most we had at a time this year was about 9".

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,090
    If you want snow to come put on your summer tires...old man winter loves to f@ck with people.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Windigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    448
    Winter is just getting started, we have another 7 weeks to go, I'm not complaining!

  18. #18
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,564
    This has been such a crappy winter, I'm ready for some better weather.
    I like turtles

  19. #19
    Jammin' Econo
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,316
    Lots of winter left where I live. Snow is so deep in the mountains around us right now that moose are cruising the neighborhoods. Had to chase one out of my yard yesterday that was doing a number on our Mtn. Ash.
    "I've been mt biking for 25 years and I don't plan on ever getting a MOPED"
    - Mt Biker E

  20. #20
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Reputation: alphazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Lots of winter left where I live. Snow is so deep in the mountains around us right now that moose are cruising the neighborhoods. Had to chase one out of my yard yesterday that was doing a number on our Mtn. Ash.
    It looked like you had a pretty nice trip into the hot springs.

  21. #21
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,033
    El Nino is a B.

    Here in Minneapolis we have a low of -10 on Friday and a high of 36 on Monday.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,716
    Winter never came here to the Pacific Northwest unless you're up in the mountains.

  23. #23
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,637
    It's been a very low snow year so far in northern New England. Two big storms have gone out to sea south of us so we have a bit of blizzard envy. Crappy year for skiing but the fat biking remains excellent, like riding on velvet. Happy to be riding on studded Dillingers.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Winter never came to us in Anchorage, just too warm, raining, etc. We do have some ice, but no snow at this elevation. I got skinny studded tires ready to go and a suspension fork on the way. It's unfortunate, but I think I'll get more use out of this setup in the next couple months.
    Plenty of snow to the north, by Willow you don't need studs at all. We just have to get used to driving for our snow. On the other hand I rode up the Hillside STA trails yesterday. That was an adventure. I don't think I want to ride down them.
    Latitude 61

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jeff_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    563
    I've had my studded D5's on since December and have ridden on a lot of pavement with no negative affect on the tires or studs. Depending on the type of stud, mount them up until you are sure the ice is gone for good.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

    16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

    Minneapolis MN

  26. #26
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26,986
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Plenty of snow to the north, by Willow you don't need studs at all. We just have to get used to driving for our snow. On the other hand I rode up the Hillside STA trails yesterday. That was an adventure. I don't think I want to ride down them.
    Kincaid is actually decent, very little frozen stuff, but decent traction and you roll like summer. Driving for 4hrs every weekend just to get some riding in gets old fast. I went to Johnson Pass last weekend, but ended up getting soaked to the bone in heavy wet snow that was slightly above freezing.

    Brown Bear in Campbell Tract on the other hand, treacherous as hell...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,716
    My decision to get a fat bike had almost nothing to do with snow - I just like snow. We've been missing it for 5 years straight now.

  28. #28
    Jammin' Econo
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,316
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    It looked like you had a pretty nice trip into the hot springs.
    Yeah, it was a great trip. I see more fat overnighters in my future.

    Wait - that sounded wrong...
    "I've been mt biking for 25 years and I don't plan on ever getting a MOPED"
    - Mt Biker E

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    255
    Well summer tires are on! I forgot how easy the Nate's are to pop on vs. the SS XL's.

    The weather really has drastically changed in the last few years.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,386
    I just swapped my Floaters for some JJ 4.0 Snakeskins, looking like great shoulder season tires while there's still snow on the ground.

    Lightweight, durable sidewalls, supportive sidewalls, good edge knobbies for laying it down, and quite fast due to low profile centerline knobbies.

    Pricey, but skip a few lattes and it's break even

    Speaking of summer, once the snow lets go, I move on to 27+, got a nice fresh set of Trail Boss 3.0 ready to roll!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I just swapped my Floaters for some JJ 4.0 Snakeskins, looking like great shoulder season tires while there's still snow on the ground.

    Lightweight, durable sidewalls, supportive sidewalls, good edge knobbies for laying it down, and quite fast due to low profile centerline knobbies.

    Pricey, but skip a few lattes and it's break even

    Speaking of summer, once the snow lets go, I move on to 27+, got a nice fresh set of Trail Boss 3.0 ready to roll!
    Why not 29+? Been thinking about getting some thinner 50mm or 60 mm rims with the 3.8's, or maybe a 29+ wheel-set

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: masterofnone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,219
    I have a new set of studded snowshoe xl's, there has been almost no ice, nevermind much snow to properly test them. I haven't even been snowboarding yet this year, it's very depressing.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    I have a new set of studded snowshoe xl's, there has been almost no ice, nevermind much snow to properly test them. I haven't even been snowboarding yet this year, it's very depressing.
    Ya and I find that the snowshoes's have fairly soft rubber, so gravel/pavement or frozen dirt really wear them down fast. It's great for snow and ice though.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boo Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    330
    This winter has sucked, no doubt. Agreed that El Nino winters are a b. However, it's 2 degrees out right now....so I'm not quite ready to say it's over, not here anyway. I'm waiting for it to warm up to a balmy 17 later this morning to get out for a nice ride. On snow....before it's in the 40's (again) next week. (That's a little emoticon to say, "Hey, I don't like this warm February weather. In fact, I think it's nasty." - read that in Bruce from Family Guy voice.)
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cassa89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    El Nino is a B. Here in Minneapolis we have a low of -10 on Friday and a high of 36 on Monday.
    I'm in Eastern ND and it's the same type of weather here. -14 today, 30+ by Monday. It's been an odd winter. We normally have the 2-3 weeks in Jan/Feb where it's consistently -20 with wind chills in the -30 range, and the rest of the time its right around 0, but not this year. We've been in the 30s, then it dips down to the teens and single digits, then jumps back to the 20s and 30, etc. Trails are rough, ice everywhere. Last week I was soaked by the amount of slush and standing water, and now it's nothing but ice ruts. I'm ready for spring/summer.

  36. #36
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,564
    It's colder today and tomorrow here on Long Island than it's been all winter. I think it'll be back in the 40's come Monday.
    I like turtles

  37. #37
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Reputation: alphazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,949
    Winter is NOT over in Wyoming.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 106
    Last Post: 03-04-2017, 12:59 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-28-2015, 05:01 PM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 07:54 PM
  4. A Winter/Spring/Winter Ride
    By egggman in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
  5. winter means WINTER BUILD!
    By saturnine in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •