mtbr member
    Jan 2007

So what is the NARROWEST fat tire?

Has anyone found something other than a Knard 3.8 that qualifies as a fat tire (3.7-3.8) but is narrower than said Knard? Strictly for Summer use only, so float is not really an issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yes, but that is a 3.5- most fat bike races are requiring 3.7 (printed on the sidewall) as a minimum. I know the UCI douchebags aren't out there with calipers like at CX races, but it is important to play within the rules. FWIW, my BFL 4.7's are narrower than my On-One 4.0's, so sizes are all over the place.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    most fat bike races are requiring 3.7 (printed on the sidewall) as a minimum.
    This info/requirement would have been nice to have in the original post ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My apologies. I thought I was explicit when I said it needed to be 3.7 or 3.8.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: So what is the NARROWEST fat tire?

But not specific enough as to why. I would have suggested tires with even narrower stated widths, that I still consider to be "fat."
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Oh you really blew it here. I was going to tell about some mid fat tires but now, with these shenanigans, I'm really not willing to dish.

mtbr member
    Think about this wrong you are. What be the fattest narrow tire run can you?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Nokian Gazalloddi 3.0
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

addicted to chunk
    My husker du is around 3.75" on a Marge lite.... I think...
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    The Vee 8 is narrower than a Knard, I know as the Knard would not fit my Wildfire but the Vee 8 will. Probably the narrowest profile I know of is the Larry. I'm using Husker Du's on Rabbit Holes to do these local races. Really rounds out and narrows the profile. For everyone else's benefit that's puzzled by your question, all of the Michigan Race promoters are requiring the minimum tire width to be printed as 26X3.7 or greater to do the fat bike open classes. So far no one has put a limit on rim width. Some guys are using Velocity Duallies which make even narrower profiles. If you use any of the 26X3.0&3.5 or 29r+ tires you will be DQ'd or just be put into your regular age category beforehand. I'm seeing a lot of Borealis bikes running 29r plus, but they are doing the non-fat categories.

If some new tire comes out make sure it's size is stated on the tire or else bring written proof if you do a race in fat bike class.

At the last race Kevin and I were smoked by some local on a Moonlander, width doesn't always matter much.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Nokian Gazalloddi 3.0
    If one can find them. I hoarded a “mini stockpile” a few years ago. I’ve got three of the 26"x3.0", and two of the 24"x3.0" ones.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Has anyone found something other than a Knard 3.8 that qualifies as a fat tire (3.7-3.8) but is narrower than said Knard? Strictly for Summer use only, so float is not really an issue.
    The better question is why do you want a narrower tire? What properties are you looking for that you think a width change will give you?
    mtbtires.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    If one can find them. I hoarded a “mini stockpile” a few years ago. I’ve got three of the 26"x3.0", and two of the 24"x3.0" ones.
    Someone at the DH race a few weeks ago was running em. Then there were the good ole Arrow DH 3.0s too...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The better question is why do you want a narrower tire? What properties are you looking for that you think a width change will give you?
    He's obviously looking for the fastest legal setup for summer "fatbike" races.

OP: 120tpi 3.8 Knards on 45mm rims would do nicely. Vee 8's may be a bit narrower, but they're heavier and almost certainly roll worse than 120tpi knards. With 3.8 knards on velocity duallys, you'd be on a rocket compared to all of the 100mm rims and cartoon tires out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If weight is a concern, a buddy of my had both the Knard (120) and studded Dillinger (120) and said his Knard weighed more. It might be in your best interest to source some tires that have been weighed. My lbs has weights written right on the package.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    So you really meant to ask what is the fastest 3.7 or greater tire.
    Narrow does not allows equate to fast.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    He's obviously looking for the fastest legal setup for summer "fatbike" races.

OP: 120tpi 3.8 Knards on 45mm rims would do nicely. Vee 8's may be a bit narrower, but they're heavier and almost certainly roll worse than 120tpi knards. With 3.8 knards on velocity duallys, you'd be on a rocket compared to all of the 100mm rims and cartoon tires out there.
    No more obvious than why it had to be labeled at least 3.7".
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
    So you really meant to ask what is the fastest 3.7 or greater tire.
    Narrow does not allows equate to fast.

Craig
    +1

I traded my Nokian 3.0 set with Miksee for some Larry's he had a few years back. For XC use they worked best in gravel mixed with sand. However they were very slow on trails until you got to a good sized downhill. And using trials rims with regular MTB tires can be a lot slower than a standard fat tire and rim. Makes a bit of a headache for promoters. I guess the 3.7 was picked as a standard to go by without having to break out a set of calipers. Pretty much everyone knows what fat bike tire is. But a couple years ago someone snuck a Krampus in a fat bike category. He didn't place though. In contrast I've seen some impressive results from guys riding Bud and Lou's on Moonlanders as well as stock Fatboys. For regular setups the Husker Du seems the most popular.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Someone at the DH race a few weeks ago was running em. Then there were the good ole Arrow DH 3.0s too...
    I’ve also got two of the 24"x3" Arrow Racing Wide Bites, just for sh¡ts and giggles. Oh, and of course no tire collection would be complete without my two 26"x3" Duro Razorbacks.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Defining a fatbike was easy a couple years ago. It was a bike that had Surly Endomorphs tires. Later Larry, then a host of others.
    The Endomorph was labeled 3.7, the others usually 3.8. I'm guessing that is where the 3.7 came from.
    Now there are a number of 3.0 tires that just don't really seem "fat". I think the 3.7 restriction will stick for fatbike categories.
    Atleast until they do away with the category and just call it another MTB style.