mtbr member
    Nov 2016

New question here. So, what is THE best snow tire < 4.8" on the back ?

Sadly, the Vee Snowshow XL I tried on is too big for the backside. So I guess I'd need around 4.5". I'd like spikes, as its often around 0C around here and ice can be a daily threat in places. A tire you can easily aftermarket stud is okay, too (no weird experiments, tho :P ).

What's recommended for great grip, great snow shedding and maybe spikes for the back?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Terrene Wazia 4.6 Studded.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Human Test Subject
    Every snow is different. Nothing is the best for everything.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Avoid the original Vee Snowshoe 4.7, is like a 4.0, gets clogged with snow and has little grip; bottom line, it sucks.

Last winter had a Framed Minnesota 4.0 tire in reverse rotation and worked really well.

Edit: revised the tire model, it was the Snowshoe not the Snowshoe XL.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 02-07-2017 at 09:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hm, I have two Vee Snowshoe XL studded here .. they clog? The knobs look far away apaert, hm.

And that Wazia has a ... uh .. pricetag I wasn't quite expecting :/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wazia 4.6 is a little bit smaller than Snowshoe XL, but not much.

If it fits though, it's a great tire, and a great price. The other option if you are looking for a studded tire is the D5. Knobs on the Wazia are wider spaced, probably clears better. Traction might be a hair better too. I haven't ridden the D5 in the back for a while though. I switched from Snowshoe XL to Wazia 4.6 in back of my Carbon Mukluk.
    Last edited by Tjaard; 02-06-2017 at 01:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    Wazia 4.6 is a little bit smaller than Snowshoe XL, but not much.

If it fits though, it's a great tire, and a great price. The other option if you are looking for a studded tire is the D5. Knobs on the Wazia are wider spaced, probably clears better. Traction might be a hair better too. I haven't ridden the D5 in the back for a while though. I switched from Snowshoe XL to Wazia 4.6 in back of my Carbon Mukluk.
    My 4.8 XL just touches (and scratches) down at the pedals ... and nicely scratched my frame with its tips .. ugh :P

So if a Wazia is half an inch less tall it would probably work.

But great prices? 210$ for a studded tire is a great price?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, what is THE best snow tire &lt; 4.8&quot; on the back ?-zudicht.jpg  

So, what is THE best snow tire &lt; 4.8&quot; on the back ?-oben.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by voon View Post

But great prices? 210$ for a studded tire is a great price?
    Much cheaper than the Emergency Room.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

aka bOb
    Don't know if it will fit for ya but the Dunderbeist is a great tire for a lot of snow conditions and the Flowbeist is a great front tire. My go to trie after trying most (haven't tried the Wazia yet but really no need too)

mtbr member

Kenda Juggernaut Pro 26◊4.5

Kenda Juggernaut Pro 26◊4.5 is considered by folks who have tried both to have better traction in snow than snowshoes. No studded reports found. About $50 on ebay.

4.5 Pro's on 80mm rims
    108.5mm casing width
    111.3mm knob width
    Approximately 31" total diameter to edge of lugs
    Kenda Juggernaut 26x4.0 (and 4.5)

Rocking on a Rocky
    Dunderbeist or Ground Control.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Every snow is different. Nothing is the best for everything.
    Best post here so far on this subject.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I love the Dunderbeist, but I don't know if it's possible to stud it.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Don't know if it will fit for ya but the Dunderbeist is a great tire for a lot of snow conditions and the Flowbeist is a great front tire. My go to trie after trying most (haven't tried the Wazia yet but really no need too)
    I agree,
    I went with the dunder in the rear this year, with kold kutters, pretty amazing.
    On a packed snowy singletrack steep climb last week, I was in 28tfront, 42t rear, stood up and climbed like it was dirt.
    Obviously depends on the condition, but I know for a fact I couldn't do that with my self studded hudu's from last year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The Kendas seem hard to get .. elusive in the big foldable version. Dunderbeists I can get I think ... but not heard from 45nrth yet, if their issues has been fixed. The kold kuters look a bit big? Not sure that works on the asphalt bit sin a tour ... or do you use em only on the sides?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl H. View Post
    Best post here so far on this subject.
    No that's just obvious, most are not going to be switching tires every time the snow conditions change

All fat, all the time.
    The Kendas seem hard to get .. elusive in the big foldable version. Dunderbeists I can get I think ... but not heard from 45nrth yet, if their issues has been fixed. The kold kuters look a bit big? Not sure that works on the asphalt bit sin a tour ... or do you use em only on the sides?
    They roll slow. Def do not want to do the centre row.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Much cheaper than the Emergency Room.
    That may be, but if there's a somewhat better priced tire, I'd rather go with that. it's not like we all drive around with Porsches,e ither 210$ is extremely expensive for something, that can get easily punctured on the next ride as so many other fatbike tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Are you looking for the best snow tire (which does not exist) or the best all around winter tire - which will not be the best at anything?

Studs do nothing in deep snow, but they help on ice and very hard packed snow. Lugs that self clean in deep snow will be totally useless on ice. Stuff that grabs well will be very slow rolling on asphalt. There is no one fits all tire out there.

What do you want your tire to do?

Elitest thrill junkie
    That may be, but if there's a somewhat better priced tire, I'd rather go with that. it's not like we all drive around with Porsches,e ither 210$ is extremely expensive for something, that can get easily punctured on the next ride as so many other fatbike tires.
    If you are riding in the winter on snow/ice, punctures are extremely rare. I've been fatbiking on snow since 2012 and have yet to have any punctures on snow/ice. Things like thorns are simply not an issue at all. In the summer, well, some of these casings are extremely light and thin, to keep weight down, plus you simply have a much bigger footprint and more exposure. If it's for small stuff like thorns and cacti needles in the summer, then sealant will take care of it. I'm not saying it can't happen, but on the hundreds of rides I've done, myself and with other people, I've never seen a winter "puncture".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl H. View Post
    Are you looking for the best snow tire (which does not exist) or the best all around winter tire - which will not be the best at anything?

Studs do nothing in deep snow, but they help on ice and very hard packed snow. Lugs that self clean in deep snow will be totally useless on ice. Stuff that grabs well will be very slow rolling on asphalt. There is no one fits all tire out there.

What do you want your tire to do?
    The problem is, I live not in a -10C or +10C spot. I live in a 0C spot. Today it is exactly 0C. It snows, then rains, then snows. Then it freezes from dusk till dawn. Water or ice or snow, it just happens all and in equal amount usually.

My dream is to trailride a few inches of powder with a bit of hardpack surface below ... but that's a dream. I have to go through everything, from wet slush, to powder, across small icesheets and so on to even get to my dream areas. .... It's the crap of living on the melting point

So basically, I need a good all around wintertire for all occasions. The best jack of all trades .. including self steer, puncture proof etc.

Yes it doesn't exist in perfect form, I'm not daft. But I'd like to come as close as possible at a price, that doesn't mean I have to skip a season cause a tire ripped (ok, exaggerating a bit :P).

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    If you are riding in the winter on snow/ice, punctures are extremely rare. I've been fatbiking on snow since 2012 and have yet to have any punctures on snow/ice. Things like thorns are simply not an issue at all. In the summer, well, some of these casings are extremely light and thin, to keep weight down, plus you simply have a much bigger footprint and more exposure. If it's for small stuff like thorns and cacti needles in the summer, then sealant will take care of it. I'm not saying it can't happen, but on the hundreds of rides I've done, myself and with other people, I've never seen a winter "puncture".

Thanks for the insight. I only read a test of Kendas and the guy ripped a giant hole into his new tire after 3 miles. Unfixable big hole.

From what I read so far:

- Dunderbeist: Bead problem .. waiting for a new version?
    - Kendas: Ripped real fast in a test .. scares me
    - Snowshoe XL: Too big, apparently not the best snow shedder
    - Wazia: Unknown .. not seen a test, yet. Extremely high price for the studded version.
    - Ground Control: Have to research.
    - Framed Minnesota: Have to research. (reverse rotation?)

mtbr member

not all Kenda Juggernaut Pros created equal

The Kendas seem hard to get .. elusive in the big foldable version.
    Kenda Juggernaut Pro DTC 26x 4.5" K1151 Folding Fat Bike Tire Lightweight | eBay
    Kenda Juggernaut Pro K1151 26" x 4.5 Fat Bike Tire Folding Bead DTC 4.50" 120TPI | eBay

Don't know about LBS availability; the only LBS within an hour drive does no fat bikes.

Kendas: Ripped real fast in a test .. scares me

I have read that about Kenda Pro 4.0, which is famously light weight.
    Kenda Pro 4.5 has quite different construction and so far been fine for me, although sidewalls are more supple
    and perhaps more vulnerable than those on Snowshoe 2XL. I regularly contend with fairly gnarly rocks; so far, so good..

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm running a Dillinger 4 studded with a Nate out back. Reasonably stable in the conditions you are describing, hasn't loaded up with snow yet. Resistance is an issue on bare pavement, but rolls well on ice and hardpack - I avoid slush since it's loaded with salt around here. I spent the weekend on ice coated single track with a dusting of fresh snow on it and deer trails with a thick crust. Mostly pretty confident - my boots slipping when I put a foot down was a bigger issue than lack of traction. I lost it once one the way home when I forgot to pay attention and hit some slanted off camber glare ice on a snowmobile path - 8ft wide flat pack over grass. 15mph+lack of attention= hello icy slide. To be honest the snowmobile trail was much faster than bare pavement so I'd risk it again over the bare pavement.

What are the locals who ride using?

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Hm, I have two Vee Snowshoe XL studded here .. they clog? The knobs look far away apaert, hm.
    Made a mistake on my post is the original Snowshoe 4.7 not the XL, the snow sticks to the rubber clogging the knobs and feels like riding on slicks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Ground control works with studs. Without studs the ice grip is quite minimal. PSC Bulldozer? Dillinger 5 (it is almost identical in size with Ground control)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    For an all around winter back tire, I like the Wazia 4.6 studded. If I didn't want studded, then I would pick the Van Helga.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    The problem is, I live not in a -10C or +10C spot. I live in a 0C spot. Today it is exactly 0C. It snows, then rains, then snows. Then it freezes from dusk till dawn. Water or ice or snow, it just happens all and in equal amount usually.

My dream is to trailride a few inches of powder with a bit of hardpack surface below ... but that's a dream. I have to go through everything, from wet slush, to powder, across small icesheets and so on to even get to my dream areas. .... It's the crap of living on the melting point

So basically, I need a good all around wintertire for all occasions. The best jack of all trades .. including self steer, puncture proof etc.

Yes it doesn't exist in perfect form, I'm not daft. But I'd like to come as close as possible at a price, that doesn't mean I have to skip a season cause a tire ripped (ok, exaggerating a bit :P).
    Your described conditions match mine. I rode a couple of seasons with non-studded tires. All good, except we get ice often and that's a problem. I finally paid the price for a pair of studded Dillinger 5. Initial impressions are excellent. Stable and predictable ride in all conditions. Great traction. Various tires will likely work, but definitely get something studded. They're all ridiculously expensive IMHO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hm, Dillinger is probably too big as well ... I can't fit my 4.8" Snowshoe XL, sadly, it gets too narrow at the rear suspension base ... which is annoying, because it fits everywhere else.

I think I have to settle for max 4.6 ... hopefully. Maybe I have to go all the way back to 4". I'm considering studding it myself to save a bit of money ... so I'm looking at "stud ready" tires ..... wasn't the Wrathchild supposed to be available in 4.6" without studs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hm, Dillinger is probably too big as well ... I can't fit my 4.8" Snowshoe XL, sadly, it gets too narrow at the rear suspension base ... which is annoying, because it fits everywhere else.

I think I have to settle for max 4.6 ... hopefully. Maybe I have to go all the way back to 4". I'm considering studding it myself to save a bit of money ... so I'm looking at "stud ready" tires ..... wasn't the Wrathchild supposed to be available in 4.6" without studs?
    I'd say D5 is smaller than Snowshoe XL. How tight it is? I run D5 at front and GC 4.6 back and they are quite identical in size (on 80mm Mulefuts). So that might not fit either... Maxxis FBR is also quite narrow for the size, and there is a 4 inch option also...
    FBR and GC are good studding candidates.

mtbr member
    Hm, I have two Vee Snowshoe XL studded here .. they clog? The knobs look far away apaert, hm
    I have the snowshoe xl 4.8 and they do gather snow, but not between the knobs. Slightly wet snow sticks to the micro tread between the knobs. It seems to act like Velcro to the snow. If it is really cold they are fine, but near 30 degrees they start to accumulate snow and eventually make the studs useless.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I see ... ew. Is that something other tires don't do with wet snow around 0C then? Or a general problem with humid snow around the melting point in general for all tires?

For FBR/GC I have to geth threaded studs, not? ... I currently only have a few "disc base" studs, made for studdable tires with premade "pockets".
    Last edited by voon; 02-09-2017 at 03:42 AM.

mtbr member
    I see ... ew. Is that something other tires don't do with wet snow around 0C then? Or a general problem with humid snow around the melting point in general for all tires?.
    My Jumbo Jims have never accumulated snow, but they didn't have the traction needed on crusty snow or ice so I put the snow shows on. I ride with a bunch of people who ride Dilly 5s studded and they don't collect snow like my xls.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I see, thanks. At the moment, I'd tend towards unstudded Terrene Wazia ... as they are 4.6 (thus less than 4.8, but still large and hopefully fitting) and come studdable with non-screw studs (as I already have such studs around).

Problem is kind of the transport .. seems to just be in the US. At 93 USD just for shipping, I'd never buy one, so I guess it's out of question, as they seem not to have an international distributor over here.
    Last edited by voon; 02-09-2017 at 06:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Get a Nate or Van Helga and self stud and you will be happy. If clearance is so tight on a 4.8 labeled tire do not assume that a 4.6 labeled tire will fit. Those labels are nothing more than estimates.

Fred

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    Get a Nate or Van Helga and self stud and you will be happy. If clearance is so tight on a 4.8 labeled tire do not assume that a 4.6 labeled tire will fit. Those labels are nothing more than estimates.

Fred
    Word^^^

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    What carbide studs are recommended for studding nonstudready tires like a Vanhelga?