mtbr member

So if last year was the year of bad trails...

THis year has been the year of perfect conditions.

The trails I ride have all been pretty well maintained by snowshoers this year. Never had such well groomed trails to ride in the winter. I'm kinda getting spoiled.

It's been crazy cold, which means that our groomed trails aren't icing up or melting, they just get more snow added to the pack. Trails have that "U" shape now, where the sides are about 6" or more higher than the base of the trail. They're narrow, only a set of snowshoes wide, but that just makes it more fun.

Ran into a family of 4 on sunday- they were out in their snowshoes just stomping away, having a blast. I thanked them as I passed.

Seriously, last year was the year of "oh god why do these trails suck so hard and why am I doing this to myself?" where this year has just been amazing.

Have I had to seriously consider tire pressure this year? Nope. Pressure has been pretty much the same all season- trails have been pretty much the same all season.

I could get used to this.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Next week:

Bender: Well, I'm sick of her.
    Fry: The ship? But you just started dating.
    Bender: With my mighty robot powers, I can get sick of things much quicker than you humans.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Does bender ever get sick of booze? I think not.

addicted to chunk
    Lol. My riding has been slacking so far this year since we moved. Need to get my ass into gear.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Fat opposite for me. I've ridden single track trail every month of every year for a few years now, and might not get that type of a ride in this month. Around here a few people got snowshoes for holiday gifts and made some reasonable tracks during Dec and Jan. Now they are gone despite the 20 inches of crusty mess on the ground. It hasn't been like this since 1979 in this area, so go figure. I bought a fatbike to ride more during the winter months, and now I'm stuck mostly on roads and rail trails.

I'm glad I have skis, but I have been considering shoe shoes. I could groom one day, and ride the next in many cases. But if I waste the money on them it won't snow this much for a decade. Another option is to outlaw ride the trampled hiking trails at night, and I could use a good light during other times. Problem there is the trouble I could get in.

Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post

The trails I ride have all been pretty well maintained by snowshoers this year. Never had such well groomed trails to ride in the winter. I'm kinda getting spoiled.

It's been crazy cold, which means that our groomed trails aren't icing up or melting, they just get more snow added to the pack. Trails have that "U" shape now, where the sides are about 6" or more higher than the base of the trail. They're narrow, only a set of snowshoes wide, but that just makes it more fun.

Ran into a family of 4 on sunday- they were out in their snowshoes just stomping away, having a blast. I thanked them as I passed.

Seriously, last year was the year of "oh god why do these trails suck so hard and why am I doing this to myself?" where this year has just been amazing.

Have I had to seriously consider tire pressure this year? Nope. Pressure has been pretty much the same all season- trails have been pretty much the same all season.

Perpetual n00b

Madison area?
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Madison area?
    eeeeeeeyup.

Perpetual n00b

eeeeeeeyup.
    Gneiss and smooth and chert dip were awesome last time I rode Blue Mound. I didn't make it very far on holy schist.

mtbr member
    Gneiss and smooth and chert dip were awesome last time I rode Blue Mound. I didn't make it very far on holy schist.
    Funny- hadn't even thought about blue mounds- I just assumed those trails were snowed under, haven't been out there yet. Now I'm thinking I gotta go this weekend.

mtbr member
    Been great here too (just east and a bit south of buck). Great, great trail conditions. More fat bike riders helps too.

Mental note to get out to Blue Mounds sometime/anytime to ride. I hear good things.

mtbr member
    Definitely agree about more fatbikes- last year seeing fatbike tracks was about as rare as seeing mountain lion tracks in madison, this year they are all over the place.

Also kinda fun seeing some of my favorite technical sections completely flattened out.

The blind downhill corner to short climb covered in big rocks at Quarry ridge is no longer covered in big rocks... or at least, the big rocks are now buried under a foot of snow...

mtbr member
    Good point! Rock piles aren't even a pile this winter....essentially flat. Pretty cool/weird/neat.

What's going to suck is waiting for the trails to thaw and dry out this spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sickmtbnutcase View Post
    Good point! Rock piles aren't even a pile this winter....essentially flat. Pretty cool/weird/neat.

What's going to suck is waiting for the trails to thaw and dry out this spring.
    Yeah, we are gonna pay for this come spring... there's gonna be a foot of rounded ice down the middle of the trail until may...

Perpetual n00b

Funny- hadn't even thought about blue mounds- I just assumed those trails were snowed under, haven't been out there yet. Now I'm thinking I gotta go this weekend.
    Are you on the madcitydirt forum?

mtbr member
    Are you on the madcitydirt forum?
    nope- guessing I should be, though!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I like the grooves cut out of the banks by pedal strokes. We need to keep riding the berms up higher though, helps to be able to use them.
    Mongoose product development

I'm in MN and thought last year was better than this year. It's been in the single digits much more this year and lots of random snow with warm days sneaking in to turn it to ice. I thought last year was a lot more "even" through the winter... and it lasted into May! I'd rather have early spring though... soooooo... I'm undecided. My head hurts now.