mtbr member
    Jan 2006

So I took my first ride on my new Fat Boy today!!!

My brother in law bought a fat bike last fall and kept telling me I had to get one. I currently own a Ventana El Padrino HT 29er and a Ibis Ripley FS 29er. So I was in my LBS last week and was actually looking at a Giant XTC Advanced 27.5 HT. I have a local trail that I think would be a lot of fun on a HT 27.5 bike. However I am also very interested in the Ibis Tranny HT 29er. My thoughts though were that until I can sell my El Padrino it really made no sense to buy another HT. So I was talking to the guys in the shop and the one guy told me he had bought the Specialized Fat Boy Expert and absolutely loved it. I was always under the impression that fatbikes were only used in snow. But talking to him he told me that everytime he rides his fatboy it brings a huge smile to his face.

The owner of the shop was there and told me that a large percentage of people who have bought fatbikes from him have told him when they ride their fatbikes it gives them the same excitement they had the first time they went mountain biking. So after a little deliberation I said "what the heck" and bought the Specialized Fat Boy Expert. This was on Friday.

So today I finally get a chance to ride it. I decide to go to a local loop that is very short. The loop is only 5 miles and isn't overly technical but is a nice, fun quick loop. So the first loop I do on my El Padrino, which is an excellent bike, and had some fun. Then when I got back to the car I pulled out the Fat Boy and did the loop. All I can say is it was fun multiplied by 100 on the Fat Boy as compared to my Padrino. I just felt so in control. I could basically roll over anything. I checked my Garmin tonight and my top speed and average speed was higher on the Fat Boy. I also cleared the loop 7 minutes faster on the Fat Boy. However it isn't a fair assessment on time because I took a few wrong turns on my Padrino which added .75 miles to the loop. It was my first time riding this trail. So I am sure that had a lot to do with the time.

But putting times aside the fun factor on the Fat Boy was something I haven't experienced since I first got into mountain biking back in 1992 when I lived in Aspen, Co after college. I almost think the Fat Boy makes my HT 29er obsolete. I am still totally in the honeymoon phase but todays ride was a huge eye opener on how much fun mountain biking can be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ^^^ now put a bluto on it and watch your other bikes collect dust..

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If I may summarize. You bought a fatbike and now you have a Ventana and Ibis 29er for sale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    ^^^ now put a bluto on it and watch your other bikes collect dust..
    Well I live in Michigan and feel the weight saving of the carbon fork out weigh the benefits of the bluto fork. To be honest the tires of these fatbikes pretty much absorb all the jarring I would normally get. If I lived out west I'd have one for sure but for my trails I'll take the weight savings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Shaker View Post
    If I may summarize. You bought a fatbike and now you have a Ventana and Ibis 29er for sale.
    Not necessarily. I do have my Ventana for sale because besides the Fat bike I have really come to love Carbon. There are plenty of trails I really love my Ripley, which I have so much fun on, however the Padrino has lost it's luster. I am trying to work a deal where I buy a Ibis Tranny frame and move most of my Padrino parts over. I also have an extra set of wheels with Arch rims and Ibis Speed tuned hubs with Surly Knard cyclocross tires on them that I'd love to use with the Tranny for gravel grinding, that would make the Tranny really versatile. But will my fatbike get the most use? Probably. Especially when I dump the platform pedals and add take my crank brother Candy's off my Padrino and put them on the Fat Boy. I have an extra set of eggbeaters I can put back on my Padrino. I'll keep the Spesh platforms for when winter hits hard. Just so excited about this bike.

I do however still feel a lot of love for my Ripley. You can never have to many bikes. It makes the journey of riding that much more fun. I don't always drink coke, sometime I grab a rootbeer or a nice stiff whiskey. Get my analog?

mtbr member
    I hear ya on the fun factor, but not the speed factor. I am certainly not breaking any land speed records on mine....but agree it is very fun.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Welcome to the club. If you've met any naysayers, it's either because they've never thrown a leg over one or are just that f'n stubborn.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    Not necessarily. I do have my Ventana for sale because besides the Fat bike I have really come to love Carbon. There are plenty of trails I really love my Ripley, which I have so much fun on, however the Padrino has lost it's luster. I am trying to work a deal where I buy a Ibis Tranny frame and move most of my Padrino parts over. I also have an extra set of wheels with Arch rims and Ibis Speed tuned hubs with Surly Knard cyclocross tires on them that I'd love to use with the Tranny for gravel grinding, that would make the Tranny really versatile. But will my fatbike get the most use? Probably. Especially when I dump the platform pedals and add take my crank brother Candy's off my Padrino and put them on the Fat Boy. I have an extra set of eggbeaters I can put back on my Padrino. I'll keep the Spesh platforms for when winter hits hard. Just so excited about this bike.

I do however still feel a lot of love for my Ripley. You can never have to many bikes. It makes the journey of riding that much more fun. I don't always drink coke, sometime I grab a rootbeer or a nice stiff whiskey. Get my analog?
    Agree on the not too many bikes thing however, I am seriously thinking about putting my full springer Titus chasis on the auction block for a fatty. One reason is that I don't ride it like I use to. It was a wannabe weight weenie obsession of mine for a while that I hope to let go of with the addition of a full on stiffie steel fatbike
    Rode a couple of Fatboys and they are really nice. I just have a thing for steel. A fatbike will replace one of my 26ers in the end. Lookng at a ICT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Shaker View Post
    Agree on the not too many bikes thing however, I am seriously thinking about putting my full springer Titus chasis on the auction block for a fatty. One reason is that I don't ride it like I use to. It was a wannabe weight weenie obsession of mine for a while that I hope to let go of with the addition of a full on stiffie steel fatbike
    Rode a couple of Fatboys and they are really nice. I just have a thing for steel. A fatbike will replace one of my 26ers in the end. Lookng at a ICT.
    I did just that. I replaced my full suspension Stumpy Pro with a Fatboy. The Stumpy was collecting dust as most of my riding is road or gravel based. I wanted something to ride in the long winter months of the Midwest and try some new (Fat Bike) events. I picked up my Fatboy a few weeks ago and haven't regretted it a minute. It only weights 4lbs more than my Pro-level Stumpjumper did (30 vs. 26lbs). It's a great ride that I can use on the conventional MTB trails and I'm looking forward to some winter snow events. :-)
    2015 Specialized FATBOY Easton Carbon Seatpost SRAM X7 Triggers
    2014 Specialized CRUX PRO SRAM 2x10 Force, CG-R Post

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pspycho View Post
    I did just that. I replaced my full suspension Stumpy Pro with a Fatboy. The Stumpy was collecting dust as most of my riding is road or gravel based. I wanted something to ride in the long winter months of the Midwest and try some new (Fat Bike) events. I picked up my Fatboy a few weeks ago and haven't regretted it a minute. It only weights 4lbs more than my Pro-level Stumpjumper did (30 vs. 26lbs). It's a great ride that I can use on the conventional MTB trails and I'm looking forward to some winter snow events. :-)
    Same boat as you on the style of riding minus the winter snow events. None around here in the southeast that I know of. More like cold riding events/rides. I am stoked to get one. Obsessive disorder kicking into hi-gear.

mtbr member
    May 2014

So I took my first ride on my new Fat Boy today!!!

I too was amazed how much fun fat bikes are!! I just built mine (all carbon frame,wheels,ect) and i am faster on that bike than my SB-66. Its easier to go fast and a ton more fun.
    So I took my first ride on my new Fat Boy today!!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1412890683.515485.jpg

mtbr member
    So did you replace the grip shifters with trigger shifters? I ordered a Spec FB, and that's one of the requests I made with my LBS. I didn't like the grip shifters when ascending hills/corners fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jtawausau View Post
    So did you replace the grip shifters with trigger shifters? I ordered a Spec FB, and that's one of the requests I made with my LBS. I didn't like the grip shifters when ascending hills/corners fast.
    No I love grip shifters. Especially in the winter when I have gloves on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Wink

Took my second ride today on my Fat Boy. Just not enough time in the fall to ride with grouse and duck hunting. However today was a day I took off from hunting and took out the Fat Boy. It was just as much fun today as it was the first time. I love this freakin' bike. My daughter went riding with my brother in law a few weeks ago and borrowed a fat bike and loved it. She is 14 and I am thinking that the next bike she gets will be a fat bike. Wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of riders consider the fat bike as their go to bikes. They are that much fun.

My first bike was a Specialized Hard Rock I got in college at Michigan State University in 1988. I could only use it to get to class until December and then couldn't start using it again until March. If any of my kids go to a Midwest college one of their high school graduation present's will be a fat bike. They'll be able to get to and from class year round. Wish they had them when I went to school. Not sure I would have made it to class anymore than I did but maybe.