Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi
    My post count is too low to PM you. If you can do so PM me, if not you can PM me directly on the bikepacking.net forum, my forum name is the same.
    Afton canyon was interesting. There was still some water in the Mojave river to cross. The sand in the canyon was generally firm, a few areas required granny gear spinning. Once in the canyon proper there's some neat features cut into the canyon walls, and if time permits " i am told" a slot canyon to explore. I did an in and out ride starting from right off the freeway and riding about 10 miles in before turning around, this probably covered about 3/4 of the canyon. I would definitely go back and do more exploring
    Jacques

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

How was the Death Valley Trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Area45 View Post
    Good to see more fatties in this thread. We have to organize a trip out to Death Valley. Camp at Striped Butte maybe?
    How was the Death Valley Trip? I would like to ride there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi Steve C
    I have a pug and live in Laguna Hills CA. Contact me and lets try to set up a ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi Chayzed
    Iím considering a Fat Bike ride in Red Rock Canyon north of Mojave. The routes about 26-32 miles and goes thru nightmare gulch. You can check out nightmare gulch via video clips on some 4x4 sites. Going thru by bike is not that difficult. Thinking early to mid-January, after 1-31 its closed for 6 months. Any interest your way or for that matter any fat bike riders in So Cal.
    If interested PM me and I'll see if there interest.
    mtntraveler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightwoodfilms View Post
    How was the Death Valley Trip? I would like to ride there.
    I still haven't made it out there. Hopefully in 2013 though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    mtntraveler, I'm very interested in making it to to Red Rock Canyon and I've got a couple of other 'Fat' riders interested as well. We need a date. I'm flexible if I have some advance notice....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi
    How about the last weekend of January the 26 and 27. This could be just a one day ride or the weekend and do two day rides. I'm flexible as to what we do, but would prefer to stick with the listed date.
    Jacques

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I live pretty much on the O.C., L.A. county line in Belmont Shore. Just recieved must parts for my Moonie and expect to be riding in a month or so. The plan is to ride with a group for The Path Bike Shop in Irvine and Portola Hills. This is good group that does weekly rides on Thurs evenings and Sunday mornings. One of their top mechanics rides a Moonie and a Mukluk. Believe it or not the fatbikes and rigids or getting more and more popular in that area because they climp so much better than suspension bikes. I see a lot of Karate Monkeys, 1x1's, and new Mukluks keep showing up all the time. The Path has sold a fair amount of them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anymore fatbike rides coming up?

mtbr member
    I'll be at the MBAU Poker Ride near San Diego on Sunday. I'm riding with some other folks, but I'll be representing the Fat Bike Nation.

https://www.facebook.com/events/158407617699190/

Compulsive Bike Builder

So Cal Snow Riding

Lets make some plans for fatbikers to do some snow riding in So Cal this year. Possibilities include:

Big Bear area - there is the grueling ride to top of Snow Summit, followed by descending along some trails with snow. I don't think we can get our bikes on the lifts, but I emailed snow summit and asked. I would love to do Pine Knot that way. Or the big wide dirt roads around the other side of the lake, Holcomb Valley/3N16, the snow level will have to drop for that. If it gets even lower there is the possibility of doing SART in the snow.

Mammoth - There is snowbiking to be had, see fatbikemamoth That could be more of a regional get together, riders from all of California might be interested in that.

I have ridden the Santa Anas in the snow.

For some of those venues we will have to be on "snow watch" and ready to go at a moment's notice since the snow will not last long on some areas. Can you say
    "sick day"?
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Fat bike friendly shop in Wrightwood. Wrightwood Cyclery - Home We sell, rent and ride 9:ZERO:7's. Like us on Facebook and you'll be up to date on all information regarding rides.

Compulsive Bike Builder
    Done! I would love to explore the area in the snow/winter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm in the Ventura area but I'm just a beginner with a moonie. I already discovered I don't have the higher pace that most bikers have, just a slow amble along the dunes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Have you been up to Jalama Beach. I go there a couple times in the winter to fatbike to the lighthouse and also surf.

mtbr member
    I'll be back home in Southern California in February and I'll be bringing my Mukluk back with me!

Compulsive Bike Builder
    No I haven't but I am exploring on Google Maps, which does not help as much as you might like for beach riding. What stretch of beach is rideable?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad View Post
    No I haven't but I am exploring on Google Maps, which does not help as much as you might like for beach riding. What stretch of beach is rideable?

lookers left a great strech.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    lookers left a great strech.
    Its about a Five mile beach strech about a 10 mile out and back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

... and if we just ... beach riding, consider Pismo Beach

Have you been up to Jalama Beach. I go there a couple times in the winter to fatbike to the lighthouse and also surf.
    Consider going to Pismo Beach. From November to February you can ride about 15 miles south one way with no problem and further with some climbing. After the first 3-4 miles no more moter vehicles are allowed. From March to October this beach area is closed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtntraveler View Post
    Consider going to Pismo Beach. From November to February you can ride about 15 miles south one way with no problem and further with some climbing. After the first 3-4 miles no more moter vehicles are allowed. From March to October this beach area is closed.
    Thank you i have been thinking of riding Pismo.

mtbr member
    Last winter we took the kids to the end of the road up Mt Pinos for some snow recreation. I don't own a fat bike, yet, but that area seemed be a good spot for snow riding.

Compulsive Bike Builder
    I am doing a beach ride next Saturday, Nov 2. High tide is 8:30am, and a very nice low tide is at 3:30pm. I plan to start at noon. Anyone who would like to join me please RSVP by PM or on the forum. Meet at noon at the San Clemente Pier, I will be heading south for a longish ride.

Compulsive Bike Builder

Palm Canyon Trail?

Is anyone here familiar with Palm Canyon (PC) trail? I have only read about it: an epic shuttle ride of almost 30 miles that descends into the Palm Springs area. It has a couple thousand feet of climbing vs about 6000 feet of descent, and it is also notorious for about a 3 mile section of sand that other riders dread. I have never ridden it, but I have had a couple non fatbikers tell me that a fatbike might be good for that ride. Sounds great.

Has anyone here ever ridden PC, fatbike or no? I am told the weather in December-February is the best time to go, it is often too hot otherwise.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast