Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member

Not fast, but fast enough. . . .

I rode the Cuyamaca Mountain loop today. 22 miles with about 2400 ft of elevation gain. Seemed no harder than riding the loop on my Superlight. Absolutely perfect day up there. Definitely going to ride this bike for the Poker Ride in October. Sorry, no pictures!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am ordering my fat sand bike tomorrow and should have it in a week

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devine Intervention View Post
    I rode the Cuyamaca Mountain loop today. 22 miles with about 2400 ft of elevation gain. Seemed no harder than riding the loop on my Superlight. Absolutely perfect day up there. Definitely going to ride this bike for the Poker Ride in October. Sorry, no pictures!
    I was out there too but riding on the road bike, probably gonna take the new fat front out there next weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Racers and Chasers yesterday

Black Mountain winter finals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So Cal Fat Bike riders?-racers-chasers-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    just built up the front wheel for my fat front hopefully it will be hitting the trails this weekend, anyone free for a fat ride sunday?

mtbr member

Noble Canyon - San Diego

Took the fat bike up and down Noble Canyon last weekend. I thought the drag from the tires on the pavement going up would make this more difficult than my Ellsworth Id, but I found the longer wheelbase and inherent stability made it easier to climb up the steep sections. (That Pine Valley Road is STEEP!)

On the way down I took it easy because I didn't want to shred the tires. The lack of dampening in the suspension made things interesting at speed, so I rode the bike a bit slower and it became relatively easy.

The fat tires saved me on the long climb close to the end on the sandy trails. The final descent through the rock garden at the bottom gave me the opportunity to do a nose wheelie, but the bike recovered nicely and no damage was suffered.

All in all, I found it a bit easier and a bit more fun than my Id, and would have no qualms about doing it again. The only downside realative to my VP Free, was that I can ride that alot faster in the really rough sections, and it never surprises me with strange rebound characteristics.

At the end of the ride, the Mountain Burger at Frosty Burger was excellent as usual!

Based on that experience, San Juan Trail and Santa Ana River Trail are now in my sights, as well as any other long distance ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Good job!

Man, that is great to hear. I was out at Noble Canyon for xmas since there was no snow in Minneapolis kinda killed my winter camping holiday plans, seemed like a fine place to be and I got to visit my brother. I got my hands on a RIP9 (which by the way was an awesome, awesome bike), but all I could think was how much fun the Mukluk would be. And then I just wondered if I was crazy. A few of the speed/ rock sections would be a bit questionable I suppose. Nates would be perfect out there I bet. And I really could have used some float for the first mile or two down through the slop. Glad to hear that you did it. Anyway, it was colder camping that night on Laguna Mesa than it was in Minnesota and there was more snow! You are lucky to have such an awesome trail in your backyard!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I rode Noble on Sat AM as well!

Fatty handled it wonderfully. Took a few tries, but managed to clean Widowmaker and Stairway. And of course Extra Credit. Not a whole lot slower on the hard stuff than the full suspension. I found I can ride up on the rock faces a whole lot easier with the extra grip - which made a couple of the moves in Extra Credit a cinch. Ran the tires very low (~6 psi). And there was just a bit of snow up at Penny Pines to make me feel smug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So Cal Fat Bike riders?-photo-22-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    well I have my Fat sand bike in pocession.. have a 11 speed alfine being laced up, added a hayes gram on the front and having a shimano hyd. rear... also have a lefty getting prepped for it I like the extra wheelbase over my trek 29er rigid tail

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I too am a SoCal fatbike sandhog. Got my Moonie a couple of weeks ago and have been all over the Purisima Mission outside Lompoc and the Burton Mesa area, even "swamp cycled" parts of the Santa Ynez riverbed.

Right now it's running an Alfine8, with some other nice bits, all put together by my friend Greg who owns Beehive Bikes in SLC.

I'd be in for a Death Valley fatbikepacking trip, also I'm hoping to go run the Moonie at the Pismo dunes (maybe this Sunday depending on weather) just to screw with people...

Jason.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Palm Canyon Epic

Rode PCE today ahead of the storm. Great bike for out there. Sand slog? What sand slog?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So Cal Fat Bike riders?-palm-cyn.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Another one from the desert

Here's another pic from palm cyn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So Cal Fat Bike riders?-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Great video! I've got a similar one of me on my Fargo (no fatbike) going over the bars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That's the second time I've fallen off the trail riding Stairway at Noble Canyon. Hence the pads. At least my buddy had the camera running! Both me and, more importantly, the bike, are none worse for the wear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

FatBike riding in Palm Springs

I'm riding a modified Mukluk out here in Palm Springs. Goat trails, Hahn Buena Vista, Art Smith, and the Palm Desert Homme Park trails all are easier on the FatBike. Our loose steep mixed sand and DG trails are perfect for the fatbike configuration. So far I am the only one out here as far as I know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

... and if we just ... I wanna join in on the fun! (San Diego)

I'm a lurker looking to buy a Pug in the San Diego area in the next 2 weeks or so - please let me know if you have any suggestions on where to buy, new or used.
    Thanks in advance,
    Drew

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Jenson in Corona has a black Pug in stock

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Husaberg are you local to the corona Rea, asking because I am in norco....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdaman View Post
    I'm a lurker looking to buy a Pug in the San Diego area in the next 2 weeks or so - please let me know if you have any suggestions on where to buy, new or used.
    Thanks in advance,
    Drew
    Can't help with a Pug, but I would recommend at least checking Mucho Mountain Bike in San Diego for a Mukluk. I know they recently had some in stock. I'd recommend them based on my experience buying there.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Got my Pugs Black Ops!

Picked it up from Adams Avenue Bikes on July 2nd, and have managed to put 150 miles on it since then, riding mostly trails by myself (Tri-Canyon) and an awesome group ride (Tunnels) plus a 10-mile beach ride around Mission Bay and the ocean - too much fun!

I never had a "real" mountain bike before - this is my first - so I have nothing to compare it to, however I know the grin never leaves my face, and I feel like a kid again...that's money well spent in my book!

PM me if you would like to ride together, as I also bought a sweet bike rack from 1upUSA, that thing is a work of art and engineering. I bought an extra tray for another fattie, too, so I can help with transportation, if desired.

inlikeflynt1956
    Mar 2010
    That's great.
    I ride my Pug more than any of my other MTB's in my stable.
    I rode it a couple of weeks ago at the Coronado Low Tide Ride from
    IB to Nado on the beach.
    It was for a great cause the Wounded Warrior Fund.
    Was surprised I was the only FatBike there (2K were in attendance).
    I've been looking at the 1Up myself. It is the only rack to get IMHO.
    I'll keep my peepers open for you out at PQ Canyon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i will be in san diego this weekend and will ride the beach sometime message me if anyone is up for a fat stroll down the beach....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Where are my manners?

Where are my manners?

I just realized that in my rush to buy a new bike, I never acknowledged the previous replies to my request for assistance, so I apologize for the delayed responses.

Husaberg: Thanks for that tip, and I contacted Jenson in Corona and they only had a 20" Pugsley at the time - I neglected to mention in my post I was looking for a 18".

Divine Intervention: Thanks for the suggestion, and I will keep your recommendation of Mucho Mountain Bike in mind for future purchases. I have threatened to buy my wife a Moonlander!

inlikeflynt1956: Thanks for your note, and I may be back at PQ Canyon on next Tuesday afternoon around 5:30, if you are up for a ride then.

jnl1105: I can't PM you because my post count is too low, but I'm riding Tri-Canyon on this Saturday at 8am (btw, you are welcome to join us), so I would be interested in a beach ride on Sunday. I'm pretty flexible, just let me know where and when. I'm guessing you can pm me?

[NEC] No Excuses Campaign
    Jun 2009
    Just noting my attendance... High Desert (Hesperia) rider here. Would love to be involved in a group Fattie ride...
    [NEC] No Excuses Campaign
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Pugsley Neck Romancer
    Surly CC
    Fatties Fit Fine

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast