mtbr member

Snow: Bud & Lou vs. BFL

I know I've been picking a lot of "fat brain" cells here lately with all my studded tire, bar width, and sand-ride lube questions, so please let me say how much I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my questions. I've learned so much in the past week on this forum.

My next question is about riding in snow, and if there is any advantage of BFL tires over a Bud/Lou combination. I made some big financial sacrifices to just get my Moonlander, and I want to make intelligent decisions on what upgrades to make, at least the practical ones that will make the bike safer to ride through the winter. Will I notice a significant amount of improvement in ride handling and traction with the Bud/Lou tires?
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    One man's opinion... But I say absolutely. I started with a Larry for a front tire and never liked that tread pattern. There's no lateral stability to the tread and I found the front tire often wandering off the packed portion of the trail and washing out. Switched to Nates and problem solved!

If I were buying today I'd do Buds or Lou's or maybe that new Fatback tire that coming out. That tire looks good to me. I run studded front and back with a LOT of studs! We often have mixed conditions here in VT with some ice and the fat tires are so bad on ice! I often wonder how the Dillingers do in the snow?

Quote Originally Posted by marathon marke View Post
    I know I've been picking a lot of "fat brain" cells here lately with all my studded tire, bar width, and sand-ride lube questions, so please let me say how much I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my questions. I've learned so much in the past week on this forum.

My next question is about riding in snow, and if there is any advantage of BFL tires over a Bud/Lou combination. I made some big financial sacrifices to just get my Moonlander, and I want to make intelligent decisions on what upgrades to make, at least the practical ones that will make the bike safer to ride through the winter. Will I notice a significant amount of improvement in ride handling and traction with the Bud/Lou tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by playinVT View Post
    One man's opinion... But I say absolutely. I started with a Larry for a front tire and never liked that tread pattern. There's no lateral stability to the tread and I found the front tire often wandering off the packed portion of the trail and washing out. Switched to Nates and problem solved!

If I were buying today I'd do Buds or Lou's or maybe that new Fatback tire that coming out. That tire looks good to me. I run studded front and back with a LOT of studs! We often have mixed conditions here in VT with some ice and the fat tires are so bad on ice! I often wonder how the Dillingers do in the snow?
    That's it. I'm ordering a Bud/Lou set tomorrow. Thanks, playinVT!
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'd concur with the recommendation to replace the BFL's with Bud and Lou.

I outfitted my first fatbike with the 3.8 width Larry and it was fine, but I ride in Anchorage which often has softer snow conditions since things often stay well below freezing for weeks at a time. Sometimes it take days to firm up after a snowfall (or even weeks if not a well used trail). I needed more float and "upgraded" to a bike that could handle 100mm rims and BFL's.

After upgrading I actually starting washing out in turns quite a bit more with the BFL. I found that in conditions soft enough that it required more float, the more widely spaced shallow knobs on the BFL couldn't provide the traction for turns (the BFL was not as bad in the back, but it was too easy to get the rear wheel spinning).

I hated to pay for another set of tires, but after shelling out for a new bike and not being satisfied, I figured I better pay the money to make it work well.

I am happy to report that Bud and Lou work wonderfully! I ride on snow like I mountain bike in summer: leaning in to turns, cutting some fairly sharp corners, accelerating up steep hills that would have spun out a BFL. Even confident enough to let the wheels occasionally leave the ground - which is pretty good for an old and not very bold biker. Of course if you land poorly and wander off the packed trails it makes for spectacular crashes!

mtbr member
    I started with a Larry and went to a Bud for the front. It is a night and day difference, the Larry doesn't have enough tread to grip the snow. The front end washing out was a daily occurrence with the Larry and basically never happened with the Bud

mtbr member
    So is the BFL better for sand than the Lou / Bud combo? What is its advantage?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The BFL aren't any good period! Hot'n dry, wet, ice, snow,.. Just replace with Bud and Lou. The BFL are Maybe better on dry asphalt than the Bud/Lou and that's it! Not quite the moonie's vocation. It's almost a before you leave the store mod. Replace the rubber and enjoy the full moonlander's full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    So is the BFL better for sand than the Lou / Bud combo? What is its advantage?

mtbr member
    I think a BFL or Larry would be good for beach riding, My Bud throws alot of sand due to the lugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    I think a BFL or Larry would be good for beach riding, My Bud throws alot of sand due to the lugs
    That I could see. I've been using them for beach riding and they've worked great.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

mtbr member
    Will a Lou fit in the back of a Pugsley? I will have an Alfine IGH so no shifting chainline issues.

Anchorage, AK
    I didn't like the Larry tread at all. But just because Larry isn't very good doesn't mean you need to go all the way to the bud and lou--lots of rolling resistance on those guys. A husker du or dillinger has better grip than a larry or fat larry, but still has reasonably low rolling resistance. Don't forget the winner of the last 350 ITI did it on dillingers on clownshoes--that is a pretty good testament to somewhat less aggressive tires in my book.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    ...more specifically, the RECORD time was set on Dillingers and ClownShoes...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Confession time, guys.

Last winter, 4 months after I broke a 300 mile (road bike) record across Wisconsin, I was out on the road and slipped on ice and broke my hip. So on Christmas eve, I was in the hospital getting a total hip replacement. This is why basically all my threads have been focused on what tires (and possibly studded) and on getting the most traction on my new fat bike. I still have my 700x35c studded hybrid, that I unfortunately wasn't using on that dreaded day last year, but I really hope to be able to use my fat bike a lot too.

So you can see that I really don't want to be pressing my luck this winter. I've broken a record. I've broken a hip. I don't need to break another one of either. I just want to ride and have fun. It won't matter much to me if I'm being slowed down a bit if it means I'm safer out there this winter. One $70,000 bionic hip is enough for a while, at least until I wear the other one out naturally. And at age 55, I hope that doesn't happen for a long, long time.

I ordered a Bud and Lou yesterday. I'll probably keep the BFLs on until we get that first good snowfall, since I'll still be rolling on some concrete once in awhile, and would rather wear those tires out prematurely than the new ones.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

mtbr member
    Bud and Lou also look Badass on the bike. Did anyone mention that. That is very important. lol

Nuts
    But they will plant you on our a$$ almost as fast as a BFL on ice.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    But they will plant you on our a$$ almost as fast as a BFL on ice.
    Yes. And that's why I am keeping my studded hybrid and possibly throwing studs on the Bud/Lou tires.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post
    Bud and Lou also look Badass on the bike. Did anyone mention that. That is very important. lol
    It is. And I'm glad to see that Surly realized that and now specs the Moonlander with them. The Moonie deserves no less than badass.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist