mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Slightly OT : Photo Bike

This is for the photographer fat bikers out there...

As I justify my latest bike purchase to myself, one of the factors is that I could use it as a photo bike. Something I've never pulled off on my road bikes due mostly to my need for speed. I'm thinking a fattie will slow me down enough to make this a possibility (outside of races).

I see there are some photo oriented people out there, so perhaps some guidance. I'm looking for ideas to carry photo gear safely and without too much compromise to riding. Gear will be full size DSLR, lens or two and maybe tripod. Not a fan of backpacks on the bikes due to high center of gravity, but maybe that's not such a big deal on a fat bike?

So, anyone have a successful camera carrying system to share?

Thanks!

Rob

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think a backpack would be preferable. All the rattling and bouncing about the bike takes might not agree with you lovely expensive camera?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Just pm Mikesee and get it over with. He's the resident photo guru/genius/Buddha. He bikes and floats with all his gear frequently

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hmmm, Mikesee doesn't recieve PMs. Maybe he'll see this thread...

Rob

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Photo fanny pack?

mtbr member

Pack is not fun on the trail. A dslr and 70-200 2.8 plus another lens or two quickly becomes heavy up top and makes the trails harder to ride. I also wonder about an over the bars moment and what that will do to equipment. I don't have a good solution for my FS bike but on the fatty i am leaning towards a "trunk" bag on the rear rack. I am also considering making my own out of a length of 8-10" PVC with screw/latch caps. Lined with foam it's a nice hard case you can strap to the rear rack and leave the big lens mounted to the camera for quick deployment.

nothing to see here
    Frame bag?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Are you planning on shredding singletrack or are you going to be slowing wandering looking for a good photo op? If the latter, I like the Lowepro Flipside series backpacks. They swing around and open from the back so it's fast and easy access.

Bike mounted solutions would have me worried about vibrations damaging something. I also have a belt system for my camera gear that would put the weight at my waist, but I don't think I would like it on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    For me, if I head out to ride hard the camera stays at home. My photo excursions will be slow paced and easy terrain/roads. I had a Lowepro slingshot at one time but didn't like it for comfort (hiking). In their defense, it was a smaller model and I'm a taller guy. Might look into the 305AW. I've also thought about a rear rack and could easliy mount a peli-case to it. I'd want the whole thing to come off quickly for hard rides.

Agree on fanny pack, hard to ride with. I love my Think Tank belt system but it wouldn't work well on the bike either.

Keep the ideas coming, I don't even have the bike yet!

Rob

Kathleen in AZ
    I can carry either my small Canon T3i or my big 5D in a CliK backpack. The pack has a sleeve for the water bladder and plenty of room in the top compartment for tools, etc. It's a fairly big pack compared to my Camelbak HAWG, but the CliK is comfy and not too heavy. I've tumbled with it and cameras have been fine. Usually tho I leave the full frame at home and just take the cheaper T3i

Clik Elite Compact Sport Backpack (Black) CE706BK B&H Photo

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That looks pretty interesting, thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I used to have a Nikon D700 w/grip, 24-70, 70-200 2.8. Not a snowballs chance in hell I would bring that stuff with me. Wayyy too much weight, wayyyy to much money. Like you said OP, the only way I would even consider taking that kind of equipment with me would be if...IF....I knew I would be taking it easy.

I don't have a lot of time, and ride as hard as I can when I can. imho, a nice point and shoot (Cannon S95ish) or a small DSLR and prime lens would be all I would consider. I would invest in a nice case with a lot of padding too. I would think mounting a tripod secure and NOISE FREE would be a difficult task also.

I just stumbled across a great deal on a Nikon D300, and think I might consider taking that with a prime lens out on a select few rides.

mtbr member

I think we are talking about slow rides with the purpose of photography, not bombing trails. I wouldn't bother with a tripod I'd just rest on my pack or rolled up coat if needed. I don't think vibration on a fat bike on snow at slower speeds would be an issue. I'd still like to carry it on the bike.

I carry an 800 w grip and lens kit similar to what was mentioned above. I can carry on my back but I found it created noticeable interference with balance.

I'm still hunting the right solution but haven't given up.