mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Skinny rear and fat front for snow

Considering getting a fat front (fork + tire) for my HT 29er to convert to a snow bike for the winter. Maybe a spiked tire for the rear. Anyone try this and have a report?

mtbr member
    a novel idea but not functional in the snow. The majority of your weight will be on the rear tire and thus it will sink in to soft surfaces. If your just doing it for fun, than go for it. If you actually want to have a functioning snow bike than go fat all around.
    litespeed's break

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've done plenty of snow riding, just not AK snow riding on my fat bike yet. The only times I could ride the snow was when it was just a few inches of fresh on the previously bare ground, or packed down by hikers, and then I couldn't really ride up any steep inclines. It was fun, but I couldn't push it hard or I'd slide. It was very limiting. I'd imagine at times you could get out and ride some level stuff, but greeff is right most of your weight is on the rear and you'll be sliding out and unable to control much of the time.

Previous AZ winters (no special bikes needed):
    Skinny rear and fat front for snow-bw_016-1-.jpgSkinny rear and fat front for snow-dscn1421.jpgSkinny rear and fat front for snow-purge_008.jpgSkinny rear and fat front for snow-purge_020.jpg
    This winter in AK will be different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skinny rear and fat front for snow-picture_104d_1_-1-.jpg  

Skinny rear and fat front for snow-purge_021.jpg  

Last edited by Jayem; 09-29-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Fat front is the way many of us came in to fatbikes. There weren't so many fat frames available then.

It's better than riding a straight 29er, but you can feel the rear wheel hanging up as you ride over stuff that the front steamrolled over.

If you do it with a 26" wheel bike at the rear your front end is going to be higher than normal so your steering is going to be a bit floppy unless you make your own fork. Here's how i bodged up a fork DIY Fat Bike fork from junk

In short, it's ok as a taster, but once you've tried it you'll be heading straight to full fat.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teleguy03 View Post
    Considering getting a fat front (fork + tire) for my HT 29er to convert to a snow bike for the winter. Maybe a spiked tire for the rear. Anyone try this and have a report?

There is snow biking and ice biking. Fat tires work for one and studs work for the other. So a fat front with studs in the rear isn't a combo I'd see much use for.

I'd save the half-fat conversion $$ and get some proper studded winter knobbies for your 29er. You'll be able to ride until the snow gets too deep, but icy conditions will be fine.

Then get a fatbike when you can if your local conditions call for it enough.

I think half fat for winter MTBing is a waste of $$.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I did this last winter. Just because of the costs. With self-made wheel and cheap salsa fork and second hand BFL tyre I had the fat front for my 29er for about 320$. I had a blast during the winter, it was perfect for winter commuting, and very nice when the city has some obstacles. You just rolled over with front, keeping your heading, and the rear just went through the obstacles like snow walls. Spikes for the rear are not necessary IMO.

But of course I'm now raising funds for full fattie

Laramie, Wyoming
    One thing to consider is that the OP's profile says he lives in San Francisco, CA.

I enjoy my fat bike year round but if I lived in San Francisco, I probably wouldn't have a fat bike.