Ski season is over (2x2 Mukluk)

Not really, but when the above was waiting for me after work yesterday, I got more exciting than I have about skiing for quite some time. Always seem silly to take the best looking component on the bike, coat it in grease, and hide it from the world in the dirtiest place inside the frame.

This bike began back in 2007, when the largest bonus I ever expect to receive from work (unless I go back to the for-profit sector) arrived unexpectedly. I contemplated getting a Pugsley, packraft, or full suspension bike. I got the latter, and rode the Lenzsport Leviathan in a huge number of in-retrospect almost unbelievable rides in the years to follow. Eventually, largely but not solely due to our move to Montana, my interest verged from pure mountain biking to wilderness exploration, things often but always mutually exclusive. I wanted a bike better suited to my new interests, and for the final time the Leviathan went up for sale. After some negotiation, I traded it for a Salsa Mukluk. And after around 3 months of waiting and the slow accumulation of parts, I rode this bike for the first time last night.

Giggle factor since has been rather high.

Mike and Brian were indispensable, building wheels, acquiring parts, and providing technical and spiritual assistance. Hiccups were few: I cut the steerer on the first fork too short and had to get another, and the seatpost I had previously was too short. And last night panic ensued as my Phil bb wrench could not be found. Fortunately the LBS came through and sold me a new one.

This bike was built primarily to be simple, bombproof, not need upgrades ever, and to suit all genres of riding in which a fat bike might be needed. The secondary goal, largely driven by the former desires, is to make a bike which will go from Cordova to Gustavus in the early summer of 2013.

To that end, the build is as follows:

-17" first generation Mukluk frame and fork, Thomson setback post (410) and 90mm 0 degree stem, Mango King Headset.

-Surly front hub, Choppers USA rear hub, Large Marge rims, whatever spokes and nips Mike thought was best.

-BB7s, Avid FR5s (bling!), 760mm Kore Torsion low-rise bar, Ergons, Fizik Gobi XM saddle.

-145 mm +5 offset Phil Wood bb, 165mm Race Face North Shore cranks, 20t and 30t rings, Spot bash, 17-19t Dos Eno freewheel, ancient Shimano derailleur shifted with barrel adjuster and a bit of cable.

-Atomlab pedals, cheapest SRAM 9 speed chain available.

-120tpi Big Fat Larrys.

-MYOG frame bag.

This is going to be fun.

This place needs an enema
    Spokes are cast-iron. It's the new black.

Need moar pics.

Glad it's rolling. Almost time for some bikeboatin'.
    Last edited by mikesee; 01-24-2012 at 08:27 PM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Nice work. Good lookin' rig ya got there

That's my all time favorite SS tensioner trick. Bit o' cable, a barrel adjuster and you have gear choices, cool!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Powered by ice cream.
    That looks like it will serve you well!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

is buachail foighneach me
    Gotta admit I was hoping for a 2 wheel drive based on the thread title...

mtbr member
    thats interesting...so you use a 'thumb' screw on the derailleur to change the gear? nice!...enjoy the adventures....

inspiration: Lost Coast Fat Bike and Packraft: Pedal, Paddle, and Push - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Great setup! It almost makes me want to go back to the 2x1 on my fatbike instead of ss...

Roman's rig got me thinking about using the Dos Eno, it was Donkeys idea to ditch the shifter and just use the barrel adjuster (which works really well). I don't think the 20:17 will get much play, but the other combos got used plenty just yesterday.

I got a few plans for this which involve the packraft.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ditching the shifter may mean more cumbersome shifting, but less parts means less things to go wrong. Also, it means you only shift when it's really needed. Most people would just go for a traditional setup at this point, but I see what you're aiming at. (Runs of to search bin box for old derailers.)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Need moar pics.
    You think people would know by now that if mikesee builds your wheels there better be pics like a proud daddy showing off a newborn child.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

Geordie biker
    Great vid!
    2014 milage so far - 2,095
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse View Post
    Roman's rig got me thinking about using the Dos Eno, it was Donkeys idea to ditch the shifter and just use the barrel adjuster (which works really well). I don't think the 20:17 will get much play, but the other combos got used plenty just yesterday.

I got a few plans for this which involve the packraft.
    Based on the two beach/boat trips I did last summer, I think the ideal wild country bike is fat tires and a 2 x 2 but without a der. Manual (loosen wheel, move chain) shift. You've gotten rid of half the hassle of the der by removing the housing--that much less to snag when schwackin'. And your der is a short cage--also helps to minimize snags. And the oddball der you chose (Found? Won in a D&D tournament?) has no 'windows' at the pulleys--also minimizing snagability. Could be the best possible der setup to date.

Course, the definition of wild country is different for everyone. SS worked OK on the beaches, but there were plenty of opps to wish for different gearing. And I suspect your uses will include more varied terrain--hence the 2 x 2.

Staying tuned to see how it unfolds...

MC

I paid good money for that derailleur (5 bucks?) back in 2006 (when some wire grenaded another, similarly archaic one). Since I've never taken to indexing, my needs are modest in this respect.

Bite Me.
    Ionsmuse - I'm not sure if you have a helmet wearing Sumo wrestler in womens' lingerie and pirate boots running loose in your house or what, but you may want to check the closets before lights out tonightWTF is that thing??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ski season is over (2x2 Mukluk)-phil.jpg  

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

It's mean to talk about someones dog like that.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    Ionsmuse - I'm not sure if you have a helmet wearing Sumo wrestler in womens' lingerie and pirate boots running loose in your house or what, but you may want to check the closets before lights out tonightWTF is that thing??
    I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who posts to this forum while sometimes under the influence of mind altering substances.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Post. Of. The. Year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I still stand by the idea of the suntour s1 der and it would work well for stumblef*cking...

it is never wider than the chainstays...

Now if you could only find one and get the tab welded to the frame...

g

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse View Post
    It's mean to talk about someones dog like that.
    It's even meaner to dress up your dog like that

The bike is very cool by the way - I think going with such limited gears in the back would kill me. I'm in love with my 36 cog.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

bikexor
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Nice work. Good lookin' rig ya got there

That's my all time favorite SS tensioner trick. Bit o' cable, a barrel adjuster and you have gear choices, cool!
    I like that trick, but I also have swapped the hi-limit screw with a longer winged-thumb-screw. Works the same with less cable all up in there.
    Little Shred Riding Hood