mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sizing Surly vs Salsa Frames

Need some sizing advise. I just sold my 22" Pugsley to fund the purchase of a new Beargrease. I'm 6'2" and the Pugs fit me fine with a 100 mm stem. Comparing the sizing charts of both Pugsley and Beargrease it shows that the large Salsa has the same effective top tube length and longer wheelbase than the 22" Surly.

Is there any reason for me not to go with the large Beargrease instead of an XL? The only reason I hesitate is the fact that all my bikes have been XL's and even though the numbers say a large Beargrease will fit me, it just doesn't seem possible that I could ride ANY large frame. Should I trust the numbers? I should mention that I have not thrown a leg over either a large or XL Salsa and the popularity of these bikes makes it tough to find a shop with enough selection to test them.

Finally, I'm guessing that there are guys my height riding both large & XL. Any input is appreciated!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just purchased a 2013 muk L, 19in and I am 6'1". I feel it fits me great as I ride mostly XC stuff. I think it fits and feels the same as my el mar which is a 17in. Now I admit I mostly gravitate towards smaller frames for ease of "flick ability" but the newer muks are more closely related to the el mars in terms of geometry. I heard that the beargrease is a slightly racier version of the muk frame. I would see if you could find someplace with muks in L and XL to get a better idea of beargrease sizing? What's the goal with the bike? If its racing I would go with the L, touring or distance stuff it would be a toss up between L /XL.
    E.p.
    2013 Mukluk 3
    2012 El Mariachi
    2012 Specialized Carve comp (work bike)
    2005 Banshee Chaparral
    2008 Felt F4C (roadie)

mtbr member
    Salsa tends to run large where Surly tends to run small with their sizes. The 19 large Mukluk is too big for me at 5'10 but it might work for you just fine. It's mostly the length of the top tube that makes it hard for me as I don't have the reach for it. Even though mine is too big, I love the ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Salsa tends to run large where Surly tends to run small with their sizes.
    Funny. My experience with them is the exact opposite.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I am 6'3 and usually ride a large frame, I am on an XL Mukluk for the higher head tube. If you usually ride an XL, then I would go for XL. My Pugsley was a 20" and I found the seat high and bars low.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Check that you will have enough seat post insertion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jddjirikian View Post
    Funny. My experience with them is the exact opposite.
    agreed! I recently test rode the stock surly ogre and the stock salsa el mar in the parking lot of one of my local shops. The 20" ogre felt great but the 19" el mar felt quite cramped. I'm 6'3" FWIW

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the input. Without being able to ride either frame size I'm inclined to stay with the XL frame for my Beargrease. Swapping out a stem is no biggie, but I was thinking that a shorter wheelbase bike would be nice. I'm surprised at the difference in WB when comparing XL Pugsley & Beargrease frames.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.