mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Sizing on 45NRTH Wolvhammers?

To all the people that have the new Wolvhammers, did you size up from your normal shoe size. I have read a couple people have gone one size up from normal. I ride Specialized shoes in size 44 and have some real low volume feet, but my current winter shoes Shimano WM-81s I have as a size 46, so I can wear two decently thick wool socks. So would a 45 be alright for the Wolvhammers. Anyone go from the WM-81 to the Wolvhammer, and are they a lot warmer?

Thanks for any info -BS

mtbr member
    From my experience and given your low volume foot I would go no larger than the 44. I wear a 43.5 Shimano high end shoe and a 44 in their mid-line as they do not come in half sizes The 44's are a bit roomy but good for a medium thick sock. I have very wide feet (EE) and the wolvhammers are decently roomy with that same medium thick wool sock, perfect I'd say for me. These boots/shoes are made to accommodate a heavy sock in your normal shoe size.

I bought a 44 & 45 not knowing which would fit and the normal size fit. I hope this helps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    To all the people that have the new Wolvhammers, did you size up from your normal shoe size. I have read a couple people have gone one size up from normal. I ride Specialized shoes in size 44 and have some real low volume feet, but my current winter shoes Shimano WM-81s I have as a size 46, so I can wear two decently thick wool socks. So would a 45 be alright for the Wolvhammers. Anyone go from the WM-81 to the Wolvhammer, and are they a lot warmer?

Thanks for any info -BS
    My normal size is 47 and sized up one size to 48. With Northwave's Thermolite sovks, the fitting is great. Waiting for some cold weather to test if 2nd layer of socks will be needed but up to -5c, no need yet.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I sized up one size and I think that is good for daily riding. For extended over nights in deep cold, if I had to do it over again, I would have gone up two sizes. As I have written, this issue is more in how the upper part of the boot wraps around your ankle than within the boot itself. With my one size up, I can wear liner, VBL, Medium Weight wool sock and get everything closed. Plenty of room for my toes, but zipping up the boots with my Craft pants inside them is very difficult. Great shoes, I really like them.
    Adventurer | Photographer | Writer
    50,000 Miles of Human Powered Adventure

Follow along at www.thetravelingvagabond.com

mtbr member
    Went a size up from my mw-81's, allowing for two socks and toe wiggle room.
    Mw-81 shoes are used as shoulder season footwear( great shoes) however I am loving my wolvhammer boots for winter riding up here in eastern Canada.
    The temps have not reached -25/-30 range here yet this year, those temps forced me to use chemical packs in my mw-81's last year for even under two hour rides.
    Wolvhammers are worth every cent to me, extending my winter fatbike ride times.
    Adam

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks everyone for all the advice. Looks like I have recommendations to get from 44 to 46. So I'll average them out and get some 45s. Thanks again, and happy riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Specialized mtn shoes (no idea on model) size 44. Tried on a 46 'hammer. liner, VB, insulating sock. Major heel slippage. Went back to 45. No noticeable loss in width. I think the 'hammer really shines in interior height. I often mistake this with wodth, but they are different.

No issues so far. Multiple 3-4 hr rides at 0-20detg F. Normally I would have to resort to flats at these temps--I get cold feet. I have some OR overboots that I have ready to slip on over them, but I have not had to use them yet.

I am happy with them. If I could change one thing, it is the difficulty in getting the zipper up with multiple sock layers. Mostly around the ankle. I would consider having someone make me a pair of expedition weight low cut socks. I think cutting a pair down would cause slippage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I totally agree about the boots. I am looking for a local seamstress that can take my expedition socks and trim them down to ankle size. I have searched for a product like that but been unable to find anything anywhere. If anyone knows of something like this I would appreciate the heads up.

As far as I am concerned, the boots are great other than the zipper detail. I think it is the core weakness of what is otherwise an outstanding boot.
    Adventurer | Photographer | Writer
    50,000 Miles of Human Powered Adventure

Follow along at www.thetravelingvagabond.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think the short socks would do the trick. I think it would be easier to make new socks than to cut down old ones and deal with a seam. LMK is you find anything, maybe we can do a group purchase.

I am careful with the zipper and I think it will be fine. It is when I really start to layer it gets to be tight-only in the zipper. There is a warranty to take care of stuff like that? .

The boots are way beyond my expectations. I have never been able to ride with clipless. No issues of cold feet this winter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Agree with zipper issue. 3rd ride the other day with these boots and the zipper broke. Didn't even realize it until I was taking the boot off and the zipper was completely apart (the velcro holds well). Hopefully will be able to get a replacement, but with the low stock may be out of luck.

mtbr member
    I bought mine yesterday. I'm a 43 normally but I was fine with a 44. Awesome boot.

mtbr member
    Oh my zipper blew apart on the first ride too. I got a replacement form the LBS but they had another pair come back today with both zippers blown. I emailed 45North to let them know and they were very prompt on getting back to me. The boot is brilliant but I think the zipper is a little weak.. I wonder if you could put your own stronger zipper in themů?

mtbr member
    I wear size 48 Specialized shoes(currently using Pro MTB's). I purchased a pair of size 48 Wolvhammers. There is plenty of room for two pair of socks. I've had the boots down to single digits with a single mid-weight (wool) sock without any cold feet. I don't usually have weather below zero for much of the year. Double layering socks may be a thing of the past.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thesilversurfer View Post
    Oh my zipper blew apart on the first ride too. I got a replacement form the LBS but they had another pair come back today with both zippers blown. I emailed 45North to let them know and they were very prompt on getting back to me. The boot is brilliant but I think the zipper is a little weak.. I wonder if you could put your own stronger zipper in themů?

The zipper is a little weak, but I think it has more to due with the design and materials than the zipper itself.. They are decent self-healing zippers. I was a little freaked out the first time I tried mine on and the zipper split, but I just moved the pull all the way down and back up, and it's been fine ever since. Once the insulation compresses a little and the outer material stretches out slightly I'm guessing the zipper won't be under as much tension.

I normally wear a 47, but went with a 48. Plenty of room for a second pair of socks if I need them.

mtbr member
    I think I've worked out why the zippers break. The boots are very cozy fitting, so when you put your foot in you tend to force the zipper opening open. This forces the zip to the very bottom and pulls each side apart by bending the metal zipper follower open. Then you pull the zip up and it comes off the rail, so to speak. I think some gentle treatment when putting your foot in may stop the damage. From what I've seen it's not the using of the boot thats breaking them, just when you put them on.

Hope this helps