Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Singular Puffin - trying to get off the ground

Some of you may have seen pictures and reports of prototypes for my first fat frame - the so called Puffin. The protos have been great and I've received a lot of positive feedback from testers and oglers alike. The production frames will be even nicer given a few improvements. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash on hand to straight up order these in addition to keeping other frame models in stock. That is where you can come in and help, and get a bit of a bargain in the process. I'm running a crowd-funding campaign in order to get these bikes up and running. If you are interested please check out the page and if you'd like to get on board that would be wonderful!

Most of the details should be on the page there but any further questions or feedback please fire away.

Thanks,

Sam

Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

mtbr member

Good job!

Hi Sam, I was about to push the button on the frameset at that price, i would love a Reynolds steel fat frame, being British you understand .
    Just that when i read it will not fit 29+ i have to admit it has put me off, as for UK trail riding 29+ is really what most people who want a fatbike should be riding trails, as faster lighter, quicker turning into tight bermed corners and so suited to UK trail cantres. And then fat 4" for xc sit down riding stuff like peat moorland or sandy conditions...

1 bike with two sets of wheels is what many existing fatbike owners including myself would like. This is still only available at present with the Pugsley

Was this dual wheel option not a consideration?

I do wish you the best of luck with your new frameset, i am all for a British designed fatbike
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Hi Sam, Can I get it in another color?

You offer that thing in the same color scheme you've got for the swift and I would have a really hard time saying no...

Spooooon!
    Not being able to run a 29+ is a concern for me, but not sure it's a deal breaker yet. On the fence.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post

1 bike with two sets of wheels is what many existing fatbike owners including myself would like. This is still only available at present with the Pugsley
    Pugsley, 907, Mukluk, Fatback...most of these can do 29+ too. I agree with coastkid, this flexibility is a selling point!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Just as a counterpoint, I don't care if it can't do 29+.

if it can fit regular 29er tires, great but not critical.

I kind of feel this kind of flexibility is interesting but it's not a selling point- not going to invest in yet another set of freak wheels...

Spooooon!
    A steel, symmetrical fatbike is most of what I've been looking for. I get that due to the short rear end it won't take 29+, but it would have been nice.

mtbr member
    I wish I was in the market for one, just due to the name alone. I work with puffins daily.

mtbr member
    I've signed up for this and really hoping it get soff the ground. Great looking bike and if it rides as well as the Swift I'll be happy.

As for 29+, I've got a 29er so, for me can't see a need for it.
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It was a consideration, but ultimately the desire to have a fatbike which handled as well as I could make it trumped the desire to make it flexible across wheel formats. 29+ is really quite a lot bigger diameter wheel so would require not just longer stays for it to fit, but other changes to be made to the geometry to optimise handling. So that is another entirely different project I am working on :-)

Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Hi Sam, I was about to push the button on the frameset at that price, i would love a Reynolds steel fat frame, being British you understand .
    Just that when i read it will not fit 29+ i have to admit it has put me off, as for UK trail riding 29+ is really what most people who want a fatbike should be riding trails, as faster lighter, quicker turning into tight bermed corners and so suited to UK trail cantres. And then fat 4" for xc sit down riding stuff like peat moorland or sandy conditions...

Was this dual wheel option not a consideration?

I do wish you the best of luck with your new frameset, i am all for a British designed fatbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Hi Sam, Can I get it in another color?

You offer that thing in the same color scheme you've got for the swift and I would have a really hard time saying no...
    Custom colours are always a possibility at an additional cost. If you are interested by all means drop me a mail.

Really I am that slow
    way high my list right now, just trying to find the $$$
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Singular Puffin in action

Puffin on the move, thanks to McColgan Photography

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1729803&type=1

nothing to see here
    Hey Sam, just going over the sizing. Have you considered a small size frame as well? I'm 5'6.5" and would be borderline too small for the medium.

Just wondering.

Steve
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I want this frame.

The Puffin's geometry is very close to the "trail" fat prototype I designed but was changed for the production version. I do not want the later.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Spooooon!
    Which production version are you talking about?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stevob
    Have you considered a small size frame as well? I'm 5'6.5" and would be borderline too small for the medium.
    I often forget that there are people this short... ;-) In any case, I've not seen a lot of interest in a small size frame, though with the offset on these forks it would be possible to make one. If you can get another dozen or so little people to commit to a small one then I'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairllama View Post
    Which production version are you talking about?
    I assume Shiggy is talking about the On One, which I believe he was involved in the development of.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    I often forget that there are people this short... ;-) In any case, I've not seen a lot of interest in a small size frame, though with the offset on these forks it would be possible to make one. If you can get another dozen or so little people to commit to a small one then I'll do it.
    Seems a difficult proposition for my wee self to achieve from down under. Would you consider mentioning this on kickstarter with the same offer? I'll happily take a medium if it doesn't work out.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Spooooon!
    I know that many fat bike cranks should work with the Puffin, but I'm wondering if a 100mm square taper crank with an old Race Face Turbine crank would clear. Any thoughts on a setup like that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The Puffin's geometry is very close to the "trail" fat prototype I designed but was changed for the production version. I do not want the later.
    What were the main differences between your design and the production version?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    What were the main differences between your design and the production version?

Tim
    A WAY slacker HTA, more trail, longer front-center than I intended.
    mtbtires.com

Nuts
    Damn too short of seat tube on the med!!
    And I love beer!!

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Damn too short of seat tube on the med!!
    Better than too long.
    Use a long seat post.
    mtbtires.com

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Better than too long.
    Use a long seat post.
    I need at least a 16.75" seat tube on a medium for a 410mm Thomson post to work and I'm only 5'8 1/2. So I would need to find a 435mm long 27.2 post for this frame to work and that really doesn't sound like a good idea especially being I'm not a little feller.
    And I love beer!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast