mtbr member

Singlespeed and fatbikes

I've been running a fat front for a few weeks now on my singlespeed frame.

I'm about to sort out a complete fatbike and I'm wondering about gearing.

I'm not having any problems with the singlespeed, but when I'm fully fat will there be more drag - will I still be able to be single speed?

I want to keep it as light/simple as possible.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

More drag

VB,

I too SS all my bikes as well as my Fatty (1x1 custom) and I use a much smaller gear than usual. My former snow race bike was a 1x1 w/ 2.4 rubber on 44mm SnowCats and 32x20. My 29" bikes had a 29x20 on SnowCats/2.1 rubber. About the same gear.

My current Fat Snowbike has Endo/Larry/Marge and a 24x20. That gear is used for loaded winter riding on hilly terrain. I can use a 32x20 but I'd be walking/pushing most of it. Things get easier on flatter or shorter courses, but we don't really have those here in Alaska.

Just my thoughts.

You'll just have to try it and see what works for you, but count on using a much smaller gear than you think. Good Luck!

Pat

mtbr member
    Thanks Pat.

I think I'll twinglespeed it.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Witty McWitterson
    for summer use, I've got mine set up at a 32/20. Works pretty well for the rough, sandy terrain I have locally. For winter use, I'm still not sure what gear I'll use. I may go 1x9 though as gears and snow seem to work well for me.
    Just a regular guy.

is buachail foighneach me
    I've ran 32 x 22 on my Fatback last winter and loved it. I do walk more than most, but I've got long legs, walk silly fast, and enjoy walking, so my opinion may be skewed. My normal, summer 29er gear is a 32 x 20, so this is a bit easier than I'm used to.I use it for loaded winter touring and for unloaded fun rides. I like to go fast.

PRETENDURO
    Id been running 36t x 17t since December 2009, but then went to an Alfine 8 speed in the back (with a 16t cog). I got used to riding up hills out of the saddle, but now the added weight of the Alfine hub is my new resistance workout.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

@adelorenzo
    IMHO, this coming from an avid singlespeeder: it's not a good option for snow bikes. Winter conditions don't suit standing and hammering a gear like you do on a singlespeed MTB.

I did it my first year, but once I got gears on there I was riding a lot more. Being able to sit and grind a low gear is super important in low traction climbing situations.

www.HSmtb.org
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    IMHO, this coming from an avid singlespeeder: it's not a good option for snow bikes. Winter conditions don't suit standing and hammering a gear like you do on a singlespeed MTB.

I did it my first year, but once I got gears on there I was riding a lot more. Being able to sit and grind a low gear is super important in low traction climbing situations.
    I actually find the opposite to be true. I love my SS pugs. I actually keep the same gearing during all seasons and have no problems in the winter. I find that I run out of traction going up a hill on snow before I run into any SS related issues.

Chris

mtbr member
    May 2008
    SS Pugsley with 32x20 seems to be working great for me, both summer and winter.

mtbr member
    I run the same 32x20, 32x18, or 32x16 (depending how hilly it's going to be) whether in snow or not. I don't know if running fixie makes a difference (compared to SS) but I don't gear down for snow. Almost all climbing is a standing affair for me on a SS, running too low a gear makes it easier to spin out and lose traction.

Need Sleep
    Can you all post what your location is in the world and what conditions you are riding SS on... Terrain,Gradient so on ? It is going to help me decide weather to go SS or not.

Cheers
    Go buy a Pizza

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    paul's word hub has 51.5mm chainline.
    endo on 70mm rim is about 95mm right?
    am I right in thinking this could work, assuming a non-offset frame wide enough for endos or nates could be found? *coughOrigin8cough*

"too cold in riding"? never too cold!! riding hard makes me warm!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by cocksmith View Post
    Can you all post what your location is in the world and what conditions you are riding SS on... Terrain,Gradient so on ? It is going to help me decide weather to go SS or not.

Cheers
    San Jose bay area, California. Terrain varies from technical rocky/jagged steep stuff to gravelly fire roads (think 3 - 4" deep layer of gravel, like riding through a quarry). This is technically not on a true fat bike, as it is on my Surly 1x1 running a 26"x3" Nokian Gazzaloddi up front and a 24"x3" Arrow Racing Wide Bite out back (both are on 65mm wide Surly Large Marge DH rims). I mostly run a 32x20 with this setup, otherwise when I am running a 26"x3" Duro Razorback in back (on a measly 32mm wide rim) I am running a 32x22 ratio.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member

Cheers
    I ride a "3/4" fatbike, by 3/4 I mean it runs an endomorph in front, 2.7 downhill tire (heavy) in back, both on large marge rims, mid 30's weight. Take this with a grain of salt if you wish. The terrain in my part of upstate NY is rocky, rooty, rolling hills with frequent lung busting climbs. SS and climbing a fatty is no biggie if you've got the legs, I surprise myself by clearing climbs I never thought I would. Any hill too steep that requires walking would spin out in the snow anyway, gears or not. I would say try it, if you don't like it you can always swap back. A simple SS fatbike can be a lot of fun.

don't fear the barleywine

Cheers

Yo Cock,
    In Santa Cruz Mountains, CA mostly. Sometimes quite steep. For rocks, roots, ruts, hardpack, softpack, mud, beach sand, driftwood fields, leaves, logs, bogs, dead hogs, etc. a 32x20 seems to be the boss ratio and gets me over most obstacles and ascents. Lower would be nice sometimes. Higher would be nice sometimes. But running without a derailleur is much nicer. Riding style can compensate for limitations in gearing. Worst case is you hoof it for a bit.
    Last edited by Moe's Tavern; 12-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Need Sleep
    Thanks for the reply's. I hate Gears and just need some mental ammo for my project's decision !!
    Go buy a Pizza

@adelorenzo
    Are you riding on snow? If you are it becomes a whole different ballgame when it comes to gears vs. singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Just SS'd my pug using the 35x22 ratio that was there from its alfine and later nuvinci setup. We'll see what I can and can't get through.
    Look out honey, 'cause I'm usin' technology

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm running either 30x18 or 26x22. The two combos produce roughly the same chainstay length, so with my paragon sliders I just have to loosen the quick release, move the chain and I'm ready for going really slow.

mtbr member
    35x22 worked AWESOME last night. I was ready for climbing in less-packed stuff to suck real bad, but it did not. As long as I made sure to stay close to the saddle to keep some weight on the rear wheel, traction was fine.
    Look out honey, 'cause I'm usin' technology

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    32 X 19 for trails, with a 20t on the front wheel to swap for snow..................