Thread: Siberian trails

Siberian mad biker

Siberian trails

I live in Siberia in Irkutsk. There are many places which suit for riding on MTB near Irkutsk. Two years ago I find interesting photos on MTBR with strange bikes which had very fat tires. Buying such bike has become my dream because that bike could help me to ride on my summer trails even in the middle of the long and snowing Siberian winter. I tried to buy this bike from couple destination. I was trying to buy bike in several places but nobody could ship necessary components to far Siberian region. Only in autumn 2009 my dream was come true because one Britain shop http://billys.co.uk/ agreed to send two SURLY PUGSLEY framsets to me and my friend. Later I bought frameset to my 16-years old daughter on http://www.bikeman.com/ and set of LARGE MARGE rims and ENDOMORPH tires on http://aebike.com/ . In October 2009 I made my first fatbike ride with my daughter!

The winter 2009/2010 gave me several amazing adventures. I took part in traditional 100 km ride on the ice across the Lake Baikal on fatbikes with my friend and my daughter. I took part in the wonderful ride along the Irkut river valley where bikes never rode in winter. In the end of that winter I took part in the ride along the Kaya river valley where I learned first time about possibility for fatbikes to ride in swamp terrains.

On YOUTUBE I found the beautiful film of coastkid71 with simple name “SURLY PUGSLEY” ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKJBXTiM-PA ). I was very impressed by that film. This film changed something in me. I have understood that the summer of 2010 with fatbike will discover new possibilities for my traditional MTB ridings.

Irkutsk region and the Lake Baikal have rich opportunities to ride on fatbikes. This summer I plan several epic rides across Olkhinskoe Plateau and next year I am going to take part in the Trans-Baikal marathon race on fatbikes in the pair with my daughter. Trans-Baikal is one of interesting events near the Lake Baikal. In 2010 Trans-Bakal will take place from July 19 to July 25. The registration will end in June 20. The length of the race will be 310 km divided by 5 stages with singletracks and gravel roads along the west Lake Baikal coast from Maloe Goloustnoe to Olkhon Island. The course of the race is suitable for fatbiking because of much sand, mud, gravel and swamps on the course though the forms of landscape are large and smooth.

Do you want to know any more about wild and amazing Siberian fatbike trails?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

... and if we just ... Pugsley Paradise

Great photos; You live in a pugsley paradise... I need to come visit sometime....pencil in the 2011 Trans-Bakal
    I've just taken delivery of my pug have been riding Rotorua's single tracks... I plan to ride it in the Simpson Desert this Sept.
    Makes me smile each time I jump on it... and surprizingly quick.

Name:  cemr10_03427cs.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  44.4 KB

Albany West Oz
    Plodda, are you doing the Simpson Desert Challenge? I heard there are four pugs doing it this year and that there has not been a fat bike in it yet. The event looks interesting... have to justify the cost of running a support vehicle and the bike race...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah I had a go last year with "mixed results" so have some unfinished business... it's the ultimate challenge... not really a race as very few finish 100%.. essentially your only competitor is the desert!

Albany West Oz
    They are big days in that environment for sure! Any pics or info from last year?

All the best for this year.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Superb fatbike country for sure! Who'd have thought Siberia could be a hotspot for mtb?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Zmey,

Great to hear your story, I'd be interested to know of trails in Siberia. I'm hoping to take a year off starting around Christmas of 2011 / 12 and Siberia looks like a place to visit.

Al

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Freediver,
    Rather than clog this "Siberian" thread with Simpson race photos I suggest you go to www.desertchallenge.org - lots of photos and info on that site; If you are serious and intending to enter suggest you purchase the dvd of last years race wich will provide very good insight re. conditions...

Cheers JP

Siberian mad biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa Plodda
    Great photos; You live in a pugsley paradise... I need to come visit sometime....pencil in the 2011 Trans-Bakal
    I've just taken delivery of my pug have been riding Rotorua's single tracks... I plan to ride it in the Simpson Desert this Sept.
    Makes me smile each time I jump on it... and surprizingly quick.

Name:  cemr10_03427cs.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  44.4 KB

I wish you good luck in the Simpson Desert this September! I will be sure to check out the announcement of this race and will follow its events.
    You take part in very interesting actions. I hope that you will like the events, which take place here in Siberia, as well. The Trans-Baikal race has a stage, where there is much sand and gravel. It is the last stage across the Olkhon Island. The participants with usual MTB go on foot there quite often.

Siberian mad biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkje
    Superb fatbike country for sure! Who'd have thought Siberia could be a hotspot for mtb?
    … Though, it is very cold “hotspot”!

Siberian mad biker
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm
    Zmey,

Great to hear your story, I'd be interested to know of trails in Siberia. I'm hoping to take a year off starting around Christmas of 2011 / 12 and Siberia looks like a place to visit.

Al
    Al

I will glad to see you in our neck of the woods! Sometimes, it is very cold here on Christmas, however the solid ice on the Baikal appears only in the end of February. The Baikal is very deep lake and holds heat rather long.
    The most interesting season for the winter fatbiking in Irkutsk is the end of February – the middle of April. The most suitable time for summer rides on fatbike is July – September.

The southern Baikal coast may look like this in the middle of December:

This is the view of the southern Baikal in April.

Siberian mad biker
    Some nice photos from Trans-Baikal!

Mountainbikers camp near the Anga river.

Liders of the race in the Tageran steppe.

Cow from the Olkhon Island.

A Surly Maverick
    Great thread zmey70

Good to hear that Billys got you going with 2 Pugs

I`ve always found them good to deal with.

Looking foreward to more Siberian Pix ,

Cheers,
    Dr FG
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    glad my film inspired you, when i watched long way round (motorcycle adventure around the world) with ewan macgregor and charlie bordman it was russia and its people that made an impression on me...my friend has an old ural motorcycle and it is cool,we have both said over a beer we will go to russia one day...him on a ural...me? im going on a pugsley
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

Siberian mad biker
    I have finally found a photo of the typical sand terrain which may come on the Trans-Baikal course. What may be nicer for fatbikes?

Siberian mad biker

The Trans Baikal has been started!

Good news!

STAGE 2: Buguldeika - Sahaurta

STAGE 3: Sahaurta - Tajeran steppe

Last edited by zmey70; 07-22-2010 at 06:52 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Zmey70, love the story and the photos. Beautiful landscapes. Must be incredible to ride. I'd love to see it someday myself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Z,

Good to see.

The videographer shows some promise If they are interested, tell them to try not to zoom in and out to fast / too much or pan too quickly.......

If they're able too, buy a cheap mono pod, it will make a huge difference to the stability of the footage.

I like some of the low angle shots, the one of the ants in the foreground is very good.

But all in all, great stuff, loved to see the country from over there.

Al