Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 301 to 400 of 414
  1. #301
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    54
    MoonlanDeere OPS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show off your Moonlanders-img_9877.jpg  


  2. #302
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ford View Post
    MoonlanDeere OPS.
    Nice!

  3. #303
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    301
    Scary kids....


  4. #304
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Hey guys,

    Doing a 1x conversion to my Moonie. Gonna throw a new rear derailleur on the back with a clutch to minimize chain drops. Are there any compatibility issues I need to be aware of or do all rear mechs mount the same?

  5. #305
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Keski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    301
    Hiding in the grass ready to pounce...


  6. #306
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    76
    Show off your Moonlanders-img_0719.jpg

  7. #307
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by hummbusa View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	1018734
    Cool


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #308
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    So the price on Sarma carbon forks has gone down to $210. They offer a 450 mm,straight steer tube QR version that would fit our Moonlanders and not alter the geometry. I just ordered one yesterday. If you guys want, I can keep you informed on how it goes.
    I am converting my Moonlander to a 1x10 (28t up front, 42t granny in rear) and throwing some better parts on it like the carbon fork I mentioned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show off your Moonlanders-sarma.jpg  


  9. #309
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    can someone show me why i need to convert to 1x?
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  10. #310
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nakedbabytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    946
    Who says you need to convert to 1x. I realize most fatties anymore come stock 1x, which is oaky in most situations(my BG is a 1x) as the rear gear spacing and the in-between front chainring give you the best of both worlds in like, 80% of riding situations(scientific.....not really, just usually hanging out in middle gears in the rear with less upper & lower rings engaged 80%ish of the time). But I can tell you that I do top out the small ring on flats in dry conditions and I do wish I could spin more in heavy snow/sand with the bailout ring.
    My Ice Cream Truck(aka Moonie with non offset frame spacing) came with a 2x and I am glad it did. More gears to top out. More gears to sit & spin in snow and crawl up hills with. I can't imagine NOT running a 5" tire fatty without 2x. Granted, that is me & my experience with my BG and knowing how I ride and what I wanted out of a second larger tire fatty. Your experience may be different. Cool! But I don't see why somebody needs to convince you that 1x is the cat's pajamas.
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Salsa Beargrease Carbon 1
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

  11. #311
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    so there isn't a taller granny gear? I'm out thanks.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  12. #312
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,595
    MoonlanDeere-
    Nice bike, but what is that toy in the background? JK- I was thinking of a ML or a Wednesday painted to match my '49 Farmall or my '80 Kubota.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

  13. #313
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    MoonlanDeere-
    Nice bike, but what is that toy in the background? JK- I was thinking of a ML or a Wednesday painted to match my '49 Farmall or my '80 Kubota.
    Just one of my 6 JD garden tractors. Being a farm kid from Nebraska and living on a half acre in suburbia, I don't have room for the full sized JD's.

  14. #314
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Who says you need to convert to 1x. I realize most fatties anymore come stock 1x, which is oaky in most situations(my BG is a 1x) as the rear gear spacing and the in-between front chainring give you the best of both worlds in like, 80% of riding situations(scientific.....not really, just usually hanging out in middle gears in the rear with less upper & lower rings engaged 80%ish of the time). But I can tell you that I do top out the small ring on flats in dry conditions and I do wish I could spin more in heavy snow/sand with the bailout ring.
    My Ice Cream Truck(aka Moonie with non offset frame spacing) came with a 2x and I am glad it did. More gears to top out. More gears to sit & spin in snow and crawl up hills with. I can't imagine NOT running a 5" tire fatty without 2x. Granted, that is me & my experience with my BG and knowing how I ride and what I wanted out of a second larger tire fatty. Your experience may be different. Cool! But I don't see why somebody needs to convince you that 1x is the cat's pajamas.
    Who says I need to go 1x? Well, nobody. I put 1X on all my bikes. Less weight, less mechanical stuff to fail, simpler bike. That is why most bikes are coming with 1x drivetrains now.
    I run a 28t up front and a 42t granny in the rear. That makes my granny almost as low as the stock 2x. Also, I fat bike in heavy snow conditions. Rarely is the ground set up perfectly to run for super high speeds. So with a 1x10 I get almost all the gear range I would use before but with added reliability and added weight savings.

    1x has made me a much better rider on my normal mountain bike too. Now I cannot rely on the super low granny. Because of that my leg strength has improved, and I can attack punchy climbs with more momentum. I did a 72 mile endurance race on a 1x10 and it worked great. Not saying 2x10 is worse but for me 1x10 is better.

  15. #315
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,107
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    so there isn't a taller granny gear? I'm out thanks.
    Depending on what size chainring you choose for your 1x, you're giving up something in your high or low range compared to a 2x. I went through the mental drill and decided to stick with 2x. Sure, 1x is cleaner looking, less complex and lighter weight, but in the end it results in reduced capability.

  16. #316
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,735
    i think on the moonlander 2x10 makes more sense at least for me and the way i use it,and i think what surly intended for it.its a bike for crawling around at low speeds where there is no trail,or on surface conditions most other bikes would founder in...but it also is a fine all conditions touring platform so the 22/36 combo makes a lot of sense to me...

    that said,if it was my only bike and i just wanted to go ripping around the local trails then 1x10 makes more sense...but since i have a krampus and a karate monkey im well covered in the trail ripping realm...

  17. #317
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    The good thing is that we can all choose whatever drivetrain configuration we want. I dropped 1.5 lbs of junk I don't need from my bike and I will get a performance boost out of the 1x10.
    Just my preference. Do whatever the f*&k you wanna do!

  18. #318
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    as long as you rock it is all that matters.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  19. #319
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,031
    My moonlander's FD kept touching my calf hair in the summer and never worked in the winter.

    I haven't posted a pic of it in a while, and it's not very good, but here it is leaning up against something under another thing.Show off your Moonlanders-11951128_481359875371541_987760461781693566_n.jpg
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

  20. #320
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by hummbusa View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	1018734
    what size is that frame bag. it looks a bit short or is it my imagination.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  21. #321
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Hey guys,

    Looking to upgrade my brakes. Anyone recommend anything? Looking at Shimano SLX's. Will I need an adapter? Thanks in advance.

  22. #322
    mtbr member
    Reputation: efuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    261
    I run SLX hydro's on my Pugsley,no issues. You will need the appropriate adapter for your rotor size, Avid or Shimano will work.

  23. #323
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by efuss View Post
    I run SLX hydro's on my Pugsley,no issues. You will need the appropriate adapter for your rotor size, Avid or Shimano will work.
    Where do you get the adapters?

    edit: I see what they look like now. I already have adapters like thse on my current Moonlander. Guess we will have to see if they work or not.

  24. #324
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Retrocowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    269
    High above Squaw Valley ski resort, Lake Tahoe California. Full time fat rider here!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show off your Moonlanders-20150712_102725_resized.jpg  


  25. #325
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    New Sarma fork came in. As mentioned I am going to this carbon fork, 1x10 drivetrain and now I got some Deore hydraulic brakes to improve upon the stock cable brakes. I will post some pics of my build when it is done. The great thing about Surly bikes is how people customize them. My bike will be no exception!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show off your Moonlanders-20151020_110246.jpg  


  26. #326
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    New Sarma fork came in. As mentioned I am going to this carbon fork, 1x10 drivetrain and now I got some Deore hydraulic brakes to improve upon the stock cable brakes. I will post some pics of my build when it is done. The great thing about Surly bikes is how people customize them. My bike will be no exception!
    can't wait to hear your thoughts on how the fork makes the bike feel. I have been told that the carbon is a stiffer ride.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  27. #327
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    can't wait to hear your thoughts on how the fork makes the bike feel. I have been told that the carbon is a stiffer ride.
    I should have my Moonie with new parts built up this week sometime. I will be sure to post my thoughts on the ride. It will be interesting with the mix of steel and carbon. I love steel for how it dampens vibrations. You can really feel the steel properties through your bottom bracket when you pedal. My regular MT is pure carbon and I love it too. Stay tuned!

  28. #328
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    5
    Can you tell me what chainring / cog combo your running? I'm setting up an 8-speed Alfine for my Moonie and need some advice. Thanks in advance.

  29. #329
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    As mentioned I am running a 1x10 ten. Wolftooth components now offers a 28t front chainring to fit Surly OD cranks. I am doign that with a 10 speed cassette in the rear with a Oneup 42t adapter. I also removed the 15 and 17t and put the provided 16t Oneup gives you with the 42t to bridge the gap a bit more during shifts.

  30. #330
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Well here is my upgraded build.

    - Added Sarma Hoboy carbon fork
    - Easton Haven carbon bars (711 mm)
    - Deore hydraulic disc brakes
    - 1 x 10 drivetrain (28t Wolftooth up front, 11-42t rear)
    - Shimano XT rear mech with Radr cage
    - WTB saddle
    - Oury grips

    Comes in around 32.5 lbs. Not light, but light for a Moonlander. I absolutely love this bike and think it deserved the upgrades. Feels a lot different being lighter, especially the front end. Can't wait to take it up to the mountains once the snow hits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show off your Moonlanders-20151103_210853.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-20151103_210916.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-20151103_210927.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-20151103_211002.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-20151103_210714.jpg  


  31. #331
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by longroadhome View Post
    Can you tell me what chainring / cog combo your running? I'm setting up an 8-speed Alfine for my Moonie and need some advice. Thanks in advance.
    Not sure if this was directed to me but I am running 1x10. Wolftooth 28t up front, 11-42t rear cassette with OneUp 42t. Works well. Should be plenty of range for me on the very fluffy back back country trails I ride. I geared it low for slow snow riding.

  32. #332
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    C'mon folks, did everyone sell their Moonlanders and get a Borealis or what? Post them pics! This is from my first snow ride of these season yesteray. Not a ton of snow yet, but it's early in the season. Had to take it out for a spin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show off your Moonlanders-887550_10153356010598883_1474213590922885994_o.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-12195119_10153356010533883_2610447298348979211_o.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-12189488_10153356010588883_1525242999870563321_o.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-12182560_10153356010478883_1306571047258638038_o.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-12184983_10153356010523883_2190572084958444988_o.jpg  


  33. #333
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bprsnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    292

    Moonlanders loaded and ready

    We are still riding our Moonlanders!
    Loaded and ready for the river bottoms yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show off your Moonlanders-moonlanders-loaded.jpg  

    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

  34. #334
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    can't wait to hear your thoughts on how the fork makes the bike feel. I have been told that the carbon is a stiffer ride.
    Overall I am really liking the carbon fork. I am running my bike a snow bike, so that means low PSI. Hard to really tell much about the stiffness of the fork because of all that soft rubber but the fork definitely has lightened up the front end which is a big deal when fat biking in rougher conditions. I like that the A to C is virtually the same so there is really not noticable difference in handling. So far I am happy with the purchase.

  35. #335
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Well got my Sarma Naran wheels on my Moonlander. Bike is right around 31 lbs right now. Feels like a totally different beast to ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show off your Moonlanders-20151128_182211.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-20151128_182009.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-20151128_182047.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-20151128_181954.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-20151128_172613.jpg  


  36. #336

  37. #337
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,735
    a rainy thanksgiving ride in the desert...

    Show off your Moonlanders-dscf1018.jpg

  38. #338
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kaleidopete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    246
    Wawayanda NJ last week



    Last edited by kaleidopete; 12-02-2015 at 04:30 AM.

  39. #339
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Well got my Sarma Naran wheels on my Moonlander. Bike is right around 31 lbs right now. Feels like a totally different beast to ride.
    what size are them rims? i had no idea there was another option for us.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  40. #340
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,031
    Here's mine on my last day commuting to my old job. I had my own parking spot all winter and left the stains to prove it.
    Show off your Moonlanders-20150719_143140.jpg

    And bighit, those are 100mm Sarmas. I just picked some up for my new fat bike at 255 each. My Moonlander has 90mm carbon rims from Light-Bicycle.

    EDIT- Since we're talking weight, mine was probably at about 28ish in my pic. I've gotten it to close to 27 with different bars and crummy Ashima ultralight rotors though.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

  41. #341
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    what size are them rims? i had no idea there was another option for us.
    Yeah I am rocking 100 mm Sarma rims because I ride mostly back country snowshoe trails. I could have gotten much lighter with a narrower rim and less aggressive tread, two things I won't compromise on. I have no real plans to get a new fat bike but no real plans for any additional upgrades. I suppose I could go lower with new cranks, seatpost and stem but I am good for now at 31 lbs. Not bad for a wide-wheeled fatty.

  42. #342
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Here's mine on my last day commuting to my old job. I had my own parking spot all winter and left the stains to prove it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150719_143140.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	1032864

    And bighit, those are 100mm Sarmas. I just picked some up for my new fat bike at 255 each. My Moonlander has 90mm carbon rims from Light-Bicycle.

    EDIT- Since we're talking weight, mine was probably at about 28ish in my pic. I've gotten it to close to 27 with different bars and crummy Ashima ultralight rotors though.
    Volsung, what cranks you rocking now? Do you have an updated build list for your Moonie?

  43. #343
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,031
    170mm spaced Turbine Cinch. There's something wrong with the BB already, it's less than a year old, and I barely rode this bike over the summer.


    Here's what's on it now, or would be if I hadn't disassembled it.

    Frame: 2012 Surly Moonlander 18"
    Fork: Sarma QR
    Headset: CK
    Stem: Kalloy Uno 80mm
    Handlebar: Answer 20/20 with two 20mm extenders
    Grips: ESI Extra Chunky
    Shifter: Saint
    Derailleur: Saint
    Brakes: Guide R or RS
    Disc: Shimano XT
    Rims: Light Bicycle 90mm
    Spokes/Nipples: DT Swiss Revolution
    Hubs: Paul front, Hope rear (broken and garbage)
    Tires: BFLs because they're the best
    Crankset: RF Turbine Cinch, 30T
    Pedals: Shimano XT Trail
    Chain: KNC something
    Cassette: 11-34 XT
    Seat clamp: Thomson
    Seatpost: Some carbon thing from Nashbar that's awesome
    Saddle: Selle Italia Gel Max Flow
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

  44. #344
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    thanks a lot.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  45. #345
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    170mm spaced Turbine Cinch. There's something wrong with the BB already, it's less than a year old, and I barely rode this bike over the summer.


    Here's what's on it now, or would be if I hadn't disassembled it.

    Frame: 2012 Surly Moonlander 18"
    Fork: Sarma QR
    Headset: CK
    Stem: Kalloy Uno 80mm
    Handlebar: Answer 20/20 with two 20mm extenders
    Grips: ESI Extra Chunky
    Shifter: Saint
    Derailleur: Saint
    Brakes: Guide R or RS
    Disc: Shimano XT
    Rims: Light Bicycle 90mm
    Spokes/Nipples: DT Swiss Revolution
    Hubs: Paul front, Hope rear (broken and garbage)
    Tires: BFLs because they're the best
    Crankset: RF Turbine Cinch, 30T
    Pedals: Shimano XT Trail
    Chain: KNC something
    Cassette: 11-34 XT
    Seat clamp: Thomson
    Seatpost: Some carbon thing from Nashbar that's awesome
    Saddle: Selle Italia Gel Max Flow
    That is quite the spec'd Moonlander. I catch a lot of grief from my friends when they see I have a steel Moonlander lighter than their aluminum fat bikes with much narrower tires. haha

  46. #346
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,316
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Well got my Sarma Naran wheels on my Moonlander. Bike is right around 31 lbs right now. Feels like a totally different beast to ride.
    That should get you a few more miles per sammich!

    Nice ride!!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  47. #347
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,031
    You should get a carbon seatpost. I had 2 aluminum ones seize up since the frame let's in so much water. One required a blowtorch, hence the Racing Raspberry paint.

  48. #348
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    You should get a carbon seatpost. I had 2 aluminum ones seize up since the frame let's in so much water. One required a blowtorch, hence the Racing Raspberry paint.
    More raspberry paint pics please...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  49. #349
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    You should get a carbon seatpost. I had 2 aluminum ones seize up since the frame let's in so much water. One required a blowtorch, hence the Racing Raspberry paint.
    What a good carbon seatpost to get? I need the 20 mm offset as I am almost too big for my med frame.

  50. #350
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    and Volsung, got any detailed pics of your most-recent build spec?

  51. #351
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,031
    No recent pics and now it's just a frame in a stand. Here's all the pics I could find since it's been Racing Raspberry. That Thudbuster was the last aluminum seatpost that I'll ever put in a Surly. It started to corrode in 2 months. There are crappy Hayes brakes in a few of the pics too. I broke 2 sets before they were sent back for a refund.

    Show off your Moonlanders-10517578_315054508663300_717687858341893364_n.jpgShow off your Moonlanders-10407275_315054461996638_5978529388367331701_n.jpgShow off your Moonlanders-1505575_10152503040413358_6888607304880933341_n.jpg
    Fatties F Fine.
    Show off your Moonlanders-1743455_10152795321758358_1643225775137910333_n.jpg
    That's AC/BC's Mukluk in my parking spot at the gym
    Show off your Moonlanders-10959340_10152711010943358_6621939097544036781_n.jpg
    Show off your Moonlanders-11879153_10153146730808358_3829745798375384567_o.jpg
    invisible pants.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

  52. #352
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    No recent pics and now it's just a frame in a stand. Here's all the pics I could find since it's been Racing Raspberry. That Thudbuster was the last aluminum seatpost that I'll ever put in a Surly. It started to corrode in 2 months. There are crappy Hayes brakes in a few of the pics too. I broke 2 sets before they were sent back for a refund.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10517578_315054508663300_717687858341893364_n.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	1033247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10407275_315054461996638_5978529388367331701_n.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	1033248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1505575_10152503040413358_6888607304880933341_n.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	1033249
    Fatties F Fine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1743455_10152795321758358_1643225775137910333_n.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	1033250
    That's AC/BC's Mukluk in my parking spot at the gym
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10959340_10152711010943358_6621939097544036781_n.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	1033251
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11879153_10153146730808358_3829745798375384567_o.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	384.1 KB 
ID:	1033259
    invisible pants.
    That looks real nice.

  53. #353
    mtbr member
    Reputation: efuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    261
    Just pulled the trigger on a 2015 Moonie, QBP is offering crazy discounts on them and Pugsley, because Wednesday is selling so well, they need to move the other bikes.
    Anyway, LBS says it will be here in 7 days, can't wait!

  54. #354
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by efuss View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on a 2015 Moonie, QBP is offering crazy discounts on them and Pugsley, because Wednesday is selling so well, they need to move the other bikes.
    Anyway, LBS says it will be here in 7 days, can't wait!
    Congrats! You belong to a special club of fat bike owners. The Moonlander was the first 5 in fatty machine!

  55. #355
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,735
    took the newly installed wun-bye setup out for its first proper trail test,really liking it...i for sure used every single gear during the ride,i was worried the 28 tooth would be too small but it really felt right at home on the moonlander..

    Show off your Moonlanders-dsc03455.jpgShow off your Moonlanders-dsc03456.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show off your Moonlanders-dsc03452.jpg  


  56. #356
    mtbr member
    Reputation: efuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Congrats! You belong to a special club of fat bike owners. The Moonlander was the first 5 in fatty machine!
    It has 5" tires, threaded BB, traditional geometry, cheap and strong rear hubs, for $1200, it beats BikesDirect all day long!

  57. #357
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    No recent pics and now it's just a frame in a stand. Here's all the pics I could find since it's been Racing Raspberry. That Thudbuster was the last aluminum seatpost that I'll ever put in a Surly. It started to corrode in 2 months. There are crappy Hayes brakes in a few of the pics too. I broke 2 sets before they were sent back for a refund.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10517578_315054508663300_717687858341893364_n.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	1033247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10407275_315054461996638_5978529388367331701_n.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	1033248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1505575_10152503040413358_6888607304880933341_n.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	1033249
    Fatties F Fine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1743455_10152795321758358_1643225775137910333_n.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	1033250
    That's AC/BC's Mukluk in my parking spot at the gym
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10959340_10152711010943358_6621939097544036781_n.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	1033251
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11879153_10153146730808358_3829745798375384567_o.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	384.1 KB 
ID:	1033259
    invisible pants.
    Awesome. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  58. #358
    Bollocks
    Reputation: Surly Gentleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    took the newly installed wun-bye setup out for its first proper trail test,really liking it...i for sure used every single gear during the ride,i was worried the 28 tooth would be too small but it really felt right at home on the moonlander..

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03455.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	1034602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03456.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	1034603
    Sweet! That is EXACTLY what I want to do to my Moonlanders drive train... do you mind sharing what you did? Thanks
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

  59. #359
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool Boy View Post
    Sweet! That is EXACTLY what I want to do to my Moonlanders drive train... do you mind sharing what you did? Thanks
    its a wolf tooth 28 tooth 96bcd chainring on the stock surly OD crank and a wolf tooth 42 tooth cog plus the 18 tooth replacement cog,a one up rad cage extender on an slx derailleur,a sram pg1050 cassette that came of my krampus and a jagwire cable...

  60. #360
    Bollocks
    Reputation: Surly Gentleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    its a wolf tooth 28 tooth 96bcd chainring on the stock surly OD crank and a wolf tooth 42 tooth cog plus the 18 tooth replacement cog,a one up rad cage extender on an slx derailleur,a sram pg1050 cassette that came of my krampus and a jagwire cable...
    Thanks mate, much appreciated! No issues with the 28 tooth chainring on the crank? For some reason I thought 30 was as low as you could go...
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

  61. #361
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,735
    the chainring is space inboard enough to create a clean chainline but otherwise you are right,32 teeth would be as small as you could go an still have the same chainring spacing as the original spec...oh yeah,you need 4 10mm chainring bolts to hold the chainring on...

    i think its a pretty well thought out piece of gear,pushing the chainring inboard cleans up the shifting across the cassette,the only thing i dont like is im not seeing a solution to add a bashguard....with the mythical surly stainless chainring that mounts to the inner position theres the equally mythical bashguard that bolts to the outer position..

  62. #362
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    876

    Show off your Moonlanders

    Interesting, I know Surly makes a 28 58 bcd which keeps the chainline centered. Hows the setup working?
    You answered my question as I was typing. Both the ring and bash are available though

    Pedaling

  63. #363
    Bollocks
    Reputation: Surly Gentleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    the chainring is space inboard enough to create a clean chainline but otherwise you are right,32 teeth would be as small as you could go an still have the same chainring spacing as the original spec...oh yeah,you need 4 10mm chainring bolts to hold the chainring on...

    i think its a pretty well thought out piece of gear,pushing the chainring inboard cleans up the shifting across the cassette,the only thing i dont like is im not seeing a solution to add a bashguard....with the mythical surly stainless chainring that mounts to the inner position theres the equally mythical bashguard that bolts to the outer position..
    Gotcha! That explains the wide "collar" around the bolt holes that presumably pushes the ring away from the crank enough for the chain to run smoothly. Thanks mate, going to spend some Christmas cash!
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

  64. #364
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Is the Moonlander really this dead now that the fat bike market has been saturated? No posts in almost a year for this thread!

  65. #365
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,735
    i sold my moonie last year and got an ICT....

  66. #366
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Is the Moonlander really this dead now that the fat bike market has been saturated? No posts in almost a year for this thread!
    I don't know about dead, but I still love my Moonlander and its still my go to bike. At this time I can't say anything more, its been at great bike with no problems!

  67. #367
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,735
    i admit,i regret selling mine,dont get me wrong i love my ICT just as much,but given the chance i would buy my old one back...

  68. #368
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kaleidopete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    246
    Still lovin' my Moonlander after 2 years.

    Northern NJ

  69. #369
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,031
    I got tired of the rust issues and got rid of mine. Riding on cheap plastic now.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

  70. #370
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    274
    Having mine is coming up on 4 years at the beginning of the new year, I believe this is the original color. What kind of rust issues did you have?
    Show off your Moonlanders-image.jpg

  71. #371
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,315
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    i admit,i regret selling mine,dont get me wrong i love my ICT just as much,but given the chance i would buy my old one back...
    It does look really nice in those photos above, especially the top one. Soft light on the fresh Knards!

    That Moonie is a heck of a climber but I wouldn't be too upset given your current fleet.

  72. #372
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,031
    @bizman

    Rust around every braze on and bottle mount, the dropouts, chain stays where the tire flexed into the frame and rubbed paint off, and multiple seized seatposts from water leaking in

  73. #373
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    I realized I have been riding the wrong frame size the last two years so I am trading my medium for a large that is owned by the owner of my LBS. Going to have it powder coated to match my pickup truck.

  74. #374
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I realized I have been riding the wrong frame size the last two years so I am trading my medium for a large that is owned by the owner of my LBS. Going to have it powder coated to match my pickup truck.
    or you could buy my Large frame set that I will be posting in a couple days!!

  75. #375
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopro440 View Post
    or you could buy my Large frame set that I will be posting in a couple days!!
    PM me info. My swap may have fallen through.

  76. #376
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Hey y'all. Selling a Medium Moonlander frame + fork. Also willing to part ways with my Clownshoe wheels. I got another Large frame coming in the mail (thanks, snopro440). HMU if anyone wants a killer deal.

  77. #377
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Hey y'all. Selling a Medium Moonlander frame + fork. Also willing to part ways with my Clownshoe wheels. I got another Large frame coming in the mail (thanks, snopro440). HMU if anyone wants a killer deal.
    No problem, good luck with it. Can't wait to see it after you powder coat it!!!!

  78. #378
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kaleidopete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    246
    30° snow and a sunset

    Northern NJ

  79. #379
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,315
    I'll post a photo when I get one but Hamsterspam's Moonie, which now belongs to my brother, is getting a makeover.

    Soon to be sporting an Alfine 8, Jones Loop, and some blaze orange accents. Lots of talk of muddy/snowy nonsense.

  80. #380
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,735
    i had really wanted a rohloff for that bike,i had sort of envisioned that as fat touring bike,sorta a "not in any real hurry" go anywhere and still be able to carry a crapton of gear slow but luxurious type of thing...also i love rockhounding so it seemed a perfect way to crawl along with picks and tools an be able to haul minerals out since theres literal tons of stuff in this state but all the good stuff tends to be wayyyyyy out on crappy 4wd roads...

  81. #381
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,315
    Aside from the rockhounding I think my bro has a similar plan. He's going racks and fenders for winter commuting and has been seeking out the muddiest gnarliest stuff IA has to offer just for the heck of it.

    So take some comfort knowing the Moonie is still doing its job.

    You do need another bike though!

  82. #382
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,735
    so the bike insanity runs in the family? i suppose hes not opposed to a brisk bit of hike-a-bike either!
    that is good to know,glad the moony is being ridden and loved,otherwise i would regret selling it...im pretty sure the ict will do all the same stuff...

  83. #383
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    274
    I just had my moonie out for deer season riding and hunting the mountain roads and trails, it really shined in these conditons and I can't imagine other fat bikes being much better! Something about the geometry and comfort, mine is completely stock. I have not had any rust issues and I have rode it in the snow many times. I do leave it sit by my coal stove to dry after riding and I don't take it on salted roads. It has a few character scratches but it still looks really good!

  84. #384
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Got my Moonlander power coated.Figured why not make it match my truck?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show off your Moonlanders-15259627_10154290057303883_5761648396022345690_o.jpg  


  85. #385
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,315
    Not the best photo but here she is getting ready for a snowy ride and some fatty commuting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show off your Moonlanders-img_20161210_114502543.jpg  


  86. #386
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,735
    nice! good to see the old moonie getting some love...and bling!

  87. #387
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yoreskillz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    297
    Better than 4.5 years now and I still LOVE my Moonlander! Haven't felt the need to upgrade or change as it does all I need it to do and more, though I will finally be adding another bike to the stable next Spring with the debut of the Big FAT Dummy. WAY...stoked for that!

    Show off your Moonlanders-img_2333.jpg

  88. #388
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    First snow ride of the season. Not the best overall snow conditions (I would get it a letter grade of C), but I had no issues maintaining flotation and not sinking in the snow. A lot of the other guys with narrower wheels and tires were having a hell of a time.
    Love my Moonlander. Moving to a Large frame made a significant improvement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show off your Moonlanders-15401163_10154320874008883_4316249991537484180_n.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-15442313_10154320873978883_8050333307682003880_n.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-15492094_10154320874003883_3660041467359104825_n.jpg  


  89. #389
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Some more photos of my recently-power coated Moonlander with carbon jewelry on it. Love this bike even more after swapping to a large frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show off your Moonlanders-20161215_212156.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-20161215_212222.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-20161215_212259.jpg  

    Show off your Moonlanders-20161215_212325.jpg  


  90. #390
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Some more photos of my recently-power coated Moonlander with carbon jewelry on it. Love this bike even more after swapping to a large frame.
    What rims are those? I was under the impression that there weren't many (or any) rims that works with the ML offset.

  91. #391
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    What rims are those? I was under the impression that there weren't many (or any) rims that works with the ML offset.
    I was wondering the same thing and what (if any weight reduction) for the new carbon bits? My stock moonie weighs about 37 lbs with Big Fat Larry tires.

  92. #392
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    I was wondering the same thing and what (if any weight reduction) for the new carbon bits? My stock moonie weighs about 37 lbs with Big Fat Larry tires.
    These are Sarma carbon wheels. I am really happy with them. Any rims will work on the Moonlander, you just need to lace them up with a standard 135 mm hubs (if you look closely you will see spokes are only on one side of wheel).
    My Moonlander weighs in around 31 lbs. Getting a carbon fork and wheels have drastically changed the performance of the bike. I am also running tubeless so I probably lost around a pound per wheel on the bike.
    I also dropped the 2x drivetrain (I don't miss it) for a 1x so that also helped with weight.
    My bike could be lighter if I ran BFL's but I am not willing to compromise with any tire other than Bud and Lou since this is my designated snow bike. The bike rides really nice. You can still feel the steel characteristics of the bike even though a lot of it is carbon now.

  93. #393
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    These are Sarma carbon wheels. I am really happy with them. Any rims will work on the Moonlander, you just need to lace them up with a standard 135 mm hubs (if you look closely you will see spokes are only on one side of wheel).
    My Moonlander weighs in around 31 lbs. Getting a carbon fork and wheels have drastically changed the performance of the bike. I am also running tubeless so I probably lost around a pound per wheel on the bike.
    I also dropped the 2x drivetrain (I don't miss it) for a 1x so that also helped with weight.
    My bike could be lighter if I ran BFL's but I am not willing to compromise with any tire other than Bud and Lou since this is my designated snow bike. The bike rides really nice. You can still feel the steel characteristics of the bike even though a lot of it is carbon now.
    You can't lace up any rim to the ML. They need the proper offset. Looks like those Sarma rims have 20mm offset, which is probably close enough to the Clownshoe offset to make it work. Thanks for the info. It's great there is a carbon rim option for the ML (and the Pug).

  94. #394
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    You can't lace up any rim to the ML. They need the proper offset. Looks like those Sarma rims have 20mm offset, which is probably close enough to the Clownshoe offset to make it work. Thanks for the info. It's great there is a carbon rim option for the ML (and the Pug).
    I guess you mean the the actual spoke holes? In that case yes, the Sarma rims are compatible with the offset setup of the Moonie. I am just running a DTSwiss hub with the Naran 100mm carbon hoops. They offer 80 mm rims too. I chose to get as fat as possible because that makes most sense for my local snowbike trails.

  95. #395
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    These are Sarma carbon wheels. I am really happy with them. Any rims will work on the Moonlander, you just need to lace them up with a standard 135 mm hubs (if you look closely you will see spokes are only on one side of wheel).
    My Moonlander weighs in around 31 lbs. Getting a carbon fork and wheels have drastically changed the performance of the bike. I am also running tubeless so I probably lost around a pound per wheel on the bike.
    I also dropped the 2x drivetrain (I don't miss it) for a 1x so that also helped with weight.
    My bike could be lighter if I ran BFL's but I am not willing to compromise with any tire other than Bud and Lou since this is my designated snow bike. The bike rides really nice. You can still feel the steel characteristics of the bike even though a lot of it is carbon now.
    Thanks for the info about the wheels and the other things you did! Overall I have not had any problems with the BFL's as they are a good all around tire. The Bud & Lou would be better for snow, but then there is the cost and I would want to change them out in the summer.

    I like the 1X upgrade too! I am not running tubeless, are the Sarma's tubeless ready or to you have to convert them? Also, what carbon fork are you using? 31 lbs is a good reduction in weight, that is the only thing I can think of that would be a little nicer but its still a great bike, stock, I love the geometry, it is so comfortable (mine is a med)!

  96. #396
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    Thanks for the info about the wheels and the other things you did! Overall I have not had any problems with the BFL's as they are a good all around tire. The Bud & Lou would be better for snow, but then there is the cost and I would want to change them out in the summer.

    I like the 1X upgrade too! I am not running tubeless, are the Sarma's tubeless ready or to you have to convert them? Also, what carbon fork are you using? 31 lbs is a good reduction in weight, that is the only thing I can think of that would be a little nicer but its still a great bike, stock, I love the geometry, it is so comfortable (mine is a med)!
    I am also running a Sarma Hoboy carbon fork. Been pretty happy with it, especially for the price. And yes, the Naran carbon wheels are tubeless ready. They set up really nice. Had zero issues.
    Yeah I love the Moonlander geo. That is why I was glad the Hoboy fork was virtually identical A to C as the Moonlander stock fork.

  97. #397
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Got my Moonlander power coated.Figured why not make it match my truck?

    Your Moonlander is looking good Jon!!!

  98. #398
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    Anyone go from a Moonlander to a ICT? Whats your long term impression. I ask because i was thinking of building a lighter set of wheels for my lander. Im wondering if I'm throwing good money at old tech. Don't get me wrong I have loved that bike since 2012.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  99. #399
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Anyone go from a Moonlander to a ICT? Whats your long term impression. I ask because i was thinking of building a lighter set of wheels for my lander. Im wondering if I'm throwing good money at old tech. Don't get me wrong I have loved that bike since 2012.
    What do you find lacking with the ML? How do you think the ICT will help that issue?

    I wouldn't call ML "old tech". Just a bike with a different purpose. Still a great ride.

  100. #400
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Anyone go from a Moonlander to a ICT? Whats your long term impression. I ask because i was thinking of building a lighter set of wheels for my lander. Im wondering if I'm throwing good money at old tech. Don't get me wrong I have loved that bike since 2012.
    i did...it really depends on what you're doing on each,they both have areas where one does better than the other...the moony climbs better i think,the ict goes down better.the moony is better for low speed off trail exploring,the ict better at trail rippin.for loaded expedition style touring the moony...a go anywhere,rohloff equipped moony would be the business,for shorter bikepacking stuff,the ict...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •