Views:	1119 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	828693
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-4.jpg 
Views:	1055 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	828694

Ever pump up a 4.8 with a hand pump? Ever cuss and swear and think the stans would do it's job if it were only given a little air? Ever run out of cartridges? ME TOO! Never again will I be caught in the desert without my sawed off.

mtbr member
    My sawed off is at home, I'll post a pic when I get there. I chose the steel barrel park model with inline gauge for easy removal. Sawed offs are where its at thats fa-sho.
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hmm, I rather like that. So what makes/models work best for this?

Dr Gadget is IN
    I have considered making an oversized barrel/piston for a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV, but this sounds easier. Thanks for sharing.
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thats awesome.........i could see myself doing that really quick

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    how quick it that.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Glad ya'll like! It's a product risen from necessity, that's for sure.

For those interested I used a Planet bike ALX floor pump primarily because, as Lone Desert Walker stated, it had the easily removable inline gauge - I was shocked at how much that gauge weighted. I also liked the alloy tube for weight. Lastly that model pump used the trademarked "love handle" grips ... and there's nothin like grabbin a handful . I'm sure many pumps will work though, just choose one you think you can hack the easiest.

It probably wouldn't be a big seller as a product but I'm actually kinda surprised a fat bike pump doesn't exist. Seems someone could make a roadie frame styled pump but built for fattie volume and not pressure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by float nasty View Post

Name:	photo-3.jpg 

Ever pump up a 4.8 with a hand pump?
    Wow, never considered pumping up a fattie with a hand pump that big of a hassle. I use a mini lezyne when I'm going "light" and a topeak roadbike frame pump (stashed in my frame bag when I expect to be changing pressures a lot). 5 mins tops to go from 5 psi sand pressure to 15 psi road pressure front and rear. maybe 10 mins when pumping up to riding pressure after a tire change. Never had a flat on ride, 'course I live in AK where thorns are non- existent. Little risk of pinch flats around here either. run tubes, fwiw.

cool that it works for you, though.
    The older I get the better I was...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Topeak Mtn Morph.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by float nasty View Post

Name:	photo-3.jpg 

Ever pump up a 4.8 with a hand pump? Ever cuss and swear and think the stans would do it's job if it were only given a little air? Ever run out of cartridges? ME TOO! Never again will I be caught in the desert without my sawed off.
    I can't see in the picture and I am not familiar with this. What exactly has been done to the pump?

Dr Gadget is IN
    I found a similar old thread:
    Sawed-off-pump-gun-blackburn-trunk-pump

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    I found a similar old thread:
    Sawed-off-pump-gun-blackburn-trunk-pump

This "shawty" pump is pretty funny.

Gcappy, I have cut the bottom steel stand off a floor pump as well as removed the gauge and cut the left handle off. This was done for weight reduction and to make the pump more compact.

When I shoot through the desert (no track style), thorns and flats are expected. I run surly tubes with plenty of stans sealant but there's only so much it can do. A bigger puncture requires a patch and sometimes getting it back up to pressure can take a decent bit of air, with letting the stans do it's job again and whatnot. Trust me, pumping for 30 min in 115 degree heat is a deal breaker ...

mtbr member
    Very cool. I just experienced my first encounter with a hand pump and fat tires. My bro in law ended up riding back to the trail head and grabbed his floor pump. Luckily I could strap it to my pack and continue the ride.

I'm surprised that a company has not tossed out a fat bike specific pump like what you made yourself, especially since fat bikes are the it product this coming year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    what about the Lezyne Mcaskill pump?

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    I'm surprised that a company has not tossed out a fat bike specific pump like what you made yourself, especially since fat bikes are the it product this coming year.
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    what about the Lezyne Mcaskill pump?
    I have used both the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV and the Topeak Mountain Morph. Both of these take about 100 strokes (or so) to go from flat to 9psi. I find this acceptable, but it would be nice to cut that number down a bit. This biggest issue I see is that you have to pull the pump off the valve to check pressure with a fat-worthy low pressure gage. I have considered adding an auxiliary valve on the pump hose so I can check pressure w/o disconnect, but with higher volume you would be less likely to have to do that 2-3 times.

One thing I have noted - with the low pressure involved the work level doesn't ramp up like it does even with 35psi mtb tires. I find that the 100th stroke is not that much different from the first one. At some point of volume/stroke 9psi will become work.