mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Should I go fat?

I need advice from the fat bike gurus. I have ridden year around for several years in the netherlands of Iowa. This time of year most of the riding is gravel and level b roads when the trails get too deep to ride on. I have ridden on studs (although not the high dollar ones) and have also made chains which are pretty fun in deeper soft snow. I've always thought a Pugs would be fun but It seems like a bike with a somewhat narrow focus for me. To make a long story short, I recently received some cash from an insurance settlement and my wife said I should blow it on a bike related lust! She's a great wife! Would a fat bike make these type of rides any funner (or more ridable?) I took my 9er SS out yesterday in about 7 inches of falling unpacked snow and it wasn't the most fun I've ever had. I'm not expecting this to become my full time ride but who knows? As an aside, does the sizing pretty much follow normal bikes? I have been told that some people prefer a size smaller than normal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Follow normal sizing, but if in between, go smaller.

You won't regret going fat. The dollar to fun ratio can't be beat.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Vagician
    I used to think they were a bit silly and limited too..... Now I have many steeds in the corral that don't get ridden because the fat bike is just too fun and versatile. This experience seems to be shared by many.

If I could have only 1 bike, the fat bike would be it.

Sizing: Go by whatever is recommended by the manufacture. Easy.

mtbr member
    I went with the same size as my regular bike and don't regret it all.

Like Jag said, you won't regret it. Easily the best purchase I have made in a long time, maybe even ever. I absolutely love my Mukluk!
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    Wanting a Cross Bike.
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    7" of falling snow may not be all that great on a fatbike either but it can ride way more places than a regular bike. And 2" to 4" of untracked new powder over hardpack can pretty much be bliss.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    If you wanted to be talked out of it, you came to the wrong place

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm no fatbike guru and only recently joined the club but riding in the white stuff on my fatty sure makes me feel like a kid who just got his first bmx!
    They're not for everybody and YMMV but I say go for it

mtbr member
    I went fat. Much fun for all sorts of riding.

mtbr member
    if your unsure and don't want to spend too much then there are second hand pugs around rather than jumping in new and the higher cost ones

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Our LBS has fat bike rentals. You may be able to find a shop that rents them near you and try before you buy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    my wife said I should blow it on a bike related lust!
    Dear God! Do you know how many men would kill to hear the same thing?

lGTFO of this forum and get you butt to the LBS or some online retailers before she changes her mind!!! You may never hear those words again!

Edit - the insurance settlement wasn't life insurance on a previous wife, was it? That's the only thing that I can think of that might make your wife say what she did...
    Last edited by JoeG; 12-21-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by lookiel View Post
    my fatty sure makes me feel like a kid who just got his first bmx!
    This quote can not be understated, for I think that most all of us have experienced this feeling also.

I have bought and built quite a few new bikes, but none have given me the happiness that the fat bike has given which is saying a lot.

mtbr member
    Of course you should! But were you expecting any other response here

I bought mine about 9 months ago on a whim and it's my most fun bike. Don't see much snow round here but it works really well on the trails, especially in the slop we have round here at the moment.

Just don't use it if you're in a hurry to get anywhere, I can almost guarantee that someone will stop you and want to talk about it. So prepare your answers first
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Go Fat...you won't regret it!!! When I got my Mukluk 2, I figured I'd ride it once a month or so just to mix things up from my regular MTB rides...little did I know that it would be so much fun, so versatile, and easy to ride, it has ended up being my regular MTB rider!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm in the same boat - I just pulled the trigger on a (hardly) used pug from the classifieds here. I've wanted one for a while, and when the wife said to go ahead, that she'd get me one for Christmas, I couldn't say no.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post
    If you wanted to be talked out of it, you came to the wrong place
    My thoughts exactly
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The good news is there are many gently used models from the past couple years going up for sale as early adopters are upgrading.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The insurance settlement was from getting hit by a car while on my road bike and my wife is obviously a keeper! I know there are several fat bikes about 30 miles away but unfortunately we never seem to cross paths. I have never actually seen one in action and have only seen them in the shop. It sounds like they are a hoot to ride but I don't know if an old fart like myself has enough gas to make em go. 15 years ago it would have been a no-brainer. The two shops I usually deal with that stock them do not have 22 inch bikes in stock. I am 6'3" and suspect that would be the correct size but I need to try one to be sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mushy View Post
    It sounds like they are a hoot to ride but I don't know if an old fart like myself has enough gas to make em go. 15 years ago it would have been a no-brainer.
    Old fart? I would like to see a survey, but it think a lot of people riding these bikes are old farts I'm 54 and ride with a guy who is 70 and he would love to get one (we have trouble keeping up with him). Since the fall I have been riding my 907 and I am faster on it than my FS bike. You could order one online, might I suggest the 9 zero 7 they may have an XL in stock you'll be rid'n before the end of the year Fatbikes.com 9:ZERO:7 Susitna.

I have no affiliation with 907 just want to share the fat fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mushy View Post
    The insurance settlement was from getting hit by a car while on my road bike... The two shops I usually deal with that stock them do not have 22 inch bikes in stock. I am 6'3" and suspect that would be the correct size but I need to try one to be sure.
    That's how I got mine. I'm also 6'3" and the 22" pug is a perfect match. I had to test ride bikes with similar geometry to extrapolate correct size since no-one around here would ever stock a fatbike.

Do it.

mtbr member
    ^ he said extrapolate

Puro Vida!
    I had a Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon built up earlier this year-complete with carbon wheels and all the bling-bought a used Pug on CL a few months ago because I ride with Leopold on occasion. Just intrigued by his fat bike. My Pivot has seen less riding time since the Pug was purchased. Buy a fat bike!

PRETENDURO
    I built up my first fatbike—a size large 2010 Surly Pugsley—in late spring of 2011. I put over 1,400 miles on it. In January 2012 I built up a 9:zero:7 and at the present there are more than 2,300 miles on it. Yes, I have been bitten big time by the fatbike bug. Most fun I’ve ever had on two wheels. I ride it on all sorts of trail conditions—rocky, loose, off-camber, muddy, steep, technical—reaching for the fatbike almost comes naturally (I have several mountain bikes).
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    We're still waiting for a real snow in the Detroit area. I've ridden my Necro Pugs all through the late fall and the wet, muddy, and mild winter we've had this year.

The bike is massively more fun the slop than normal bikes. The traction you get compared to skinny wheels is confidence inspiring. I must've cleaned 3-4 pounds of mud off my bike after a 17 mile ride today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have drank the koolaid! 907 frame, rolling Darrel rims with fat Larry and Nate tires, thumb shifters with 9 speed. I am pretty stoked. If this thing makes me grin half as much as my first single speed did I will be a happy boy. Unfortunely, most of our Iowa snow has melted but I still can't wait to take it out on it's maiden voyage.
    PS: Hats off to the Triple D racers this weekend in Dubuque. It's supposed to be pretty cold on Sunday.